Start by marking “101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily: Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for You and your Hens” as Want to Read:

Spoil your chickens and beautify your coop with 101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily.

Join Lisa Steele, chicken-keeper extraordinaire and founder of Fresh Eggs Daily, on a behind-the-coop tour like you've never seen. Lisa has spent years figuring out the best ways to keep chickens healthy, the natural way, and she's collected more than just your average tips.

Published October 9th 2018 by Voyageur Press

To ask other readers questions about 101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily

Start your review of 101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily: Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for You and your Hens
Gemma
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
101 brilliant tips and tricks for anyone keeping chickens.
Some really helpful ideas in here that I will certainly be trying.
My chickens will be thrilled and spoilt rotten.
My only issue is the chicken tutus. Why??!!!
I am now going to have to find the time to make a flocks worth of colourful tutus for my chickens and upon completion attempt to get them all into a photo at the same time to add to the family gallery! Adorable .

I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and
This is both a Martha Stewart for chickens sort of book, as well as a good source for hacks that you should know. In between making curtains for the coop, and cleaning the glass of the said coop, you get practicle advice, such as the best way to make fermented treats, or what herbs are best to keep out mites.

And the Martha Stewart type tips are not bad, but I doubt I would ever make a nest out of an old chair.

So, take this with what it is worth, that some things, like mirrors for the coop are b
Janet
Spoil your chickens and beautify your coop with money-saving projects and hacks.

Join Lisa Steele, chicken-keeper extraordinaire and founder of Fresh Eggs Daily, on a behind-the-coop tour like you've never seen. Lisa has spent years figuring out the best ways to keep chickens healthy the natu
Leyla Johnson
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely makes me feel happy, the ideas are just brilliant, I even liked the hen tutu, and by the look of the hen, she thought herself smart. Hens could not lay well after sharing these absolutely glamorous surrounds. But don't get the idea that this is a book of just fluff, no this is a informative book from someone that is knowledgeable about keeping chickens.
And there is more, it isn't only about the chickens, the book also has information on making and using eggs, herbs and loti
Nathan
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As chicken owners (new ones, especially) can get bogged down on what they should or should not use to ensure comfort, egg-laying efficiency, and optimal health, Steele has accumulated an honestly helpful guide into not only helping yourself and your chickens of all ages, but how to do it economically. This information is given in betwixt some gorgeous pictures from around the farm.

The hacks provided cover creative ways to feed your chickens nutrient-rich foods while also keeping them entertained
Clare O'Beara
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a cheap and cheerful viewpoint on chicken keeping. The author tells us at the outset that we are welcome to spend thousands on coops and equipment, if we'd prefer, but she finds that repurposing, mending and using old reliables like enamel pans does the job.

Depending on how much free ranging your birds do, you may want to give them the seed and seaweed mix with added insects recommended. I don't consider everything in the book a hack - a feed recipe isn't a workaround in itself. But I a
Melanie
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best book on keeping chickens that I have read...I even enjoyed it more than the more popular chicken keeping books. It has gorgeous and helpful photography, extremely clever and cost saving tips and tricks, and is especially helpful for a diy project version of all things chicken care. This will definitely come in handy in the coming year for my family as we begin our rooky chicken keeping journey.
Annie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

101 Chicken Keeping Hacks is a cheerful, upbeat look at ways to improve ('hack') chicken husbandry. Aimed at the newer suburban chicken wrangler, it provides a humorous look at simple ways of upcycling, repurposing, and reusing items which the reader might have lying around.

Written by 'Fresh Eggs Daily' blogger/media personality/chicken wrangler Lisa Steele and published by Quarto on their Voyageur imprint, it's 176 pages and available in paper
Kim Tobin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We have been keeping chickens for a few years now and I still consider myself a newbie at the whole thing. This book is fantastic for someone just beginning or even someone who may have had chickens for quite some time but is just looking for new ideas.

I enjoyed all of the recipes and DIY projects mixed in with all of the important information and each "project" tied in nicely within each section. I truly appreciated the advice of taking what you already have or find and making it into somethin
Martha
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was fun with some good images and tips. My Rating 4.5.

Since we have added our hen house this year, I thought this would be a good book to read. I loved the pictures of fluffy chickens, including some on swings and wearing tutus! There are good tips for cleaning the coop, the chickens and the eggs. There are some homemade recipes for food treats, herbal teas (I’m excited to try these) and homemade salves. I like the suggestion of sanitizing lotion at the pen. I am very careful to wash my han
Patch405 (Shannon Barghols)
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chickens
I love this book! The overall design is wonderful. It is a delight to read. But more than that, the hacks seem to be the real deal. Of course, I have no practical experience yet – but her suggestions seem to be focused on saving money, providing the best for your chickens, and imparting a sensible perspective. I can definitely see me turning to this book time and time again when I finally get my own chickens.

This review is part of a blog post on chickens: https://patch405.com/2019/02/02/chick...
Lmichelleb
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are so many clever ideas here, some very practical and some more for fun, but I enjoyed reading them all! I already have taken some ideas and put them into practice with our little chicks and have noted several recipes for homemade cleaners and recipes that I want to try along the way as we grow our backyard flock.
Asera
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
= Read this book from NetGalley UK in exchange for a fair review. =

A coffee table book on raising chickens. It’s informative on the DIY recipes and such. I figure practicality (in regards to the design of said book) wasn’t very high on the priority checklist. I would appreciate it in a more portable format with more readable font (style & size).
Dana
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I never realized there were so many hacks for keeping and care of chickens. This book really gives some great insight for the reader and some practical ideas for chicken tending. That's right, I said chicken tending, not chicken tenders. This is a must read for any chicken egg lover! ...more
Tyna
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How did I get so lucky??? I restrained myself and only tabbed eight pages the first read. These tabs will be my first chicken hacks. This book besotted me with the mirror in the chicken coop & ending with chicken tutus, (and of course, all the herbaceous wisdom)!!!!!!
Tamara Taylor
Jul 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a charming and useful resource for anyone keeping chickens. I love upcycling "junk" around the farmyard. I was surprised she didn't include the ever popular "bicycle tire" merry-go-round. Note that a lot of the medicine and first aid advice is herbal based in this book. ...more
Kathy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you live chickens this is an amazing helpful book.
Erica
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chickens, gardening
A fun, beautiful book with good ideas for chickens and your garden. I love the details on herbs, reusing old crappy tomato cages for good, storing eggs, and other projects.
Christine Sopko
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Lots of ideas to try.
Deserae Lindsley
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute ideas for you and your chickens.
Pleasure Your Shelf
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not really any time or money saving hacks here, more about how to make your coop and chook-raising environment instagram worthy.
Gabby
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and makes me super excited for all the herbs I have sprouted 🤗
Melissa
Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on keeping chickens. Contains DIY solutions for common chicken problems.
Jess Lee

• The Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens: How to Raise a Happy Backyard Flock
  • How to Speak Chicken: Why Your Chickens Do What They Do & Say What They Say
  • The Murmur of Bees
  • Wild Food Plants of Indiana and Adjacent States
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Gospel of Luke - Alabaster Bible 2nd Ed
  • Gospel of Matthew - Alabaster Bible 2nd Ed
  • Raising Chickens for Dummies
  • Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It
  • The Beginner's Guide to Essential Oils: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started
  • Inland
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • The Home Edit Life: The Complete Guide to Organizing Absolutely Everything at Work, at Home, and on the Go
  • Gospel of Mark - Alabaster Bible 2nd Ed
  • Gospel of John - Alabaster Bible 2nd Ed
  • Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
  • The Golfer's Mind: Play to Play Great
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
In addition to being one of today's top-selling and most prolific poultry authors, Lisa Steele is a 5th generation chicken keeper, Maine Master Gardener, avid DIYer and the darling of the backyard chicken keeping community.

The founder of the Better Homes & Gardens award-winning website Fresh Eggs Daily®, the country's most well-respected chicken keeping brand, she inspires both the newcomer and th

News & Interviews