Start by marking “Jeeves and the King of Clubs” as Want to Read:
Jeeves and the King of Clubs

Jeeves and the King of Clubs

Storm clouds loom over Europe. Treason is afoot in the highest social circles. The very security of the nation is in peril. Jeeves, it transpires, has long been an agent of British Intelligence, but now His Majesty's Government must turn to the one man who can help . . . Bertie Wooster.

In this magnificent new homage to P. G. Wodehouse, Ben Schott leads Jeeves and Wooster o
Published November 6th 2018 by Little, Brown and Company (first published November 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Jeeves and the King of Clubs, please sign up.
May Based on reviews, I would say that it would depend on the type of fan you are. In the same way that some people appreciate amateur theater while other…moreBased on reviews, I would say that it would depend on the type of fan you are. In the same way that some people appreciate amateur theater while others prefer to splurge only on Broadway performances, I can see how someone might appreciate the author's attempts to imitate Wodehouse's perfection of prose. But to me it's just too obvious that it isn't Wodehouse. In addition, in my opinion, the appeal of Wodehouse's books is their frivolity, while this book links Jeeves and Wooster with the fight against Nazis, the opposite of something frivolous. So, this book upset me as a Wodehouse fan. But, based on the reviews of this book on this site, I am in the minority, so this is just my opinion.(less)

Start your review of Jeeves and the King of Clubs
Campbell
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Against all my expectations and much to my delight, this was simply wonderful. Schott is a b of fresh a.

As in all of the Wodehouse canon, the quotable passages are legion. Here is but one:

"I woke unusually early and unexpectedly refreshed, the way people pretend you do after a long cross-country run."

Whether Wodehouse is a stranger to you or a lifelong friend, this book will most definitely entertain and leave you wanting more.

One thing is certain: I'm sure we haven't seen the last of S's J and
Martin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeeves, the gentlemens'' gentleman is back in a mysterious adventure that taxes his mighty brain.
And of course there is also Bertie Wooster happily bumbling along.

On meeting Aunt Dahlia
"I felt sure we’d bump into each other, and I was right. London’s such a little village, isn’t it?’

‘Up to a point, aged thing. There are, in fact, many millions of us.’

‘I only count the people who matter, Bertie. And there are precious few of them.’

Aunt logic is an immovable object; aunts themselves an unstoppable
Douglas Wilson
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wodehouse
This tribute to Wodehouse and the world of Jeeves by Ben Schott was really good. When it comes to the expressions and metaphors that Wodehouse was so good at, Schott is in the same league. My only (minor) complaints have to do with plotting, genre, and the fact that Bertie is a tad too intelligent. And the story verges toward an adventure hugger mugger with actual stakes in a way that was a bit disorienting. Still, all that said, this was well worth reading.
Katie Hanna
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This isn't PG Wodehouse, but, my lads, it's very, very close.

Basically, author Ben Schott has taken the beloved characters of Reginald Jeeves and Bertram Wooster and added a delightful little twist:

What if Jeeves were secretly ... *drumroll* ... A SPY? And what if he and Bertie were tasked with tracking down fascists and traitors, in a deceptively sunny version of 1930s London where All Is Not As It Seems?

What I love, absolutely love, about this pastiche is how completely it respects the spiri
SueKich
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Countless chortles per chapter!

A rattling good yarn, commendably high chuckle-rate and the author’s clear love and respect for its originator means that this Wodehouse homage should appeal to aficionados and newbies alike.

There’s a terrific glossary at the end but where Ben Schott has been particularly clever is that he has set up a premise for both Jeeves and Wooster that could run and run. Wooster in intelligence? What-ho!
Teal
Things got off to a brisk start with a convincing Wodehousian voice, but three weeks later the book was due at the library and I'd only made it to 25%. I'm not sure whether the problem was with me, the book, or maybe just the timing. I'd encourage Wodehouse fans to give it a try, and there's a slim but non-zero chance I'll borrow it again in the future and pick up where I left off. ...more
Judy Lesley
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Little, Brown and Company for an eGalley of this novel.

What a delightful reading experience this book was. It was as if a new Jeeves and Wooster by P. G. Wodehouse had been discovered in a trunk in an attic somewhere. I have to say, I'm pretty much a stickler when it comes to my Jeeves and Wooster but Ben Schott has done a great job recreating the whole atmosphere of a J&W novel. The humor is both dry and slapstick at the same time - check. Jeeves is an absolute expert
Amy Bruestle
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a giveaway in exchange for an honest review...

I’m not going to lie, I was a tiny bit hesitant to read this book because of the cover...yes, I know...judging a book by its cover and all that jazz...however, I’m super glad that I did, because I actually really enjoyed this read! The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was because of the ending. I felt like the only wrapped up part of the story, but didn’t wrap up the suspense piece with the Ganymede club. I don’t want to g
Nigeyb
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Sadly, at around the halfway point, I've just abandoned Jeeves and the King of Clubs: A Novel in Homage to P.G. Wodehouse (2018), the new Jeeves and Wooster novel, this time written by Ben Schott.

Perhaps it was because I've read so much of P.G. Wodehouse's work this year that I was feeling somewhat intolerant but to my disappointment Ben Schott's homage simply doesn't flow in the manner of PGW. It all feels too laboured, as if Mr Schott is trying far too hard to cram in the bon mots and the spar
Kathy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Schott has delivered a wonderful and freshly conceived entry back into the world of Wooster and Jeeves filled with crazy adventures and non-stop humour. What a pleasure to read!
Elmwoodblues
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

It was supposed to snow today, so I took a flier on something that could easily have been tepid at best, a sacrilege at worst: a Jeeves and Wooster homage, and a novel at that. I was secretly rooting for Ben Schott from the get-go, in the way one hopes the underdog will at least show some pluck.
Pluck it is, and then some. I got no hint of the 'uncanny valley' with these familiar characters. All the DNA is here, the density and voice; to wit, a rather random passage:

A wise king once observ

Primrose Jess
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I was idling away the pre-cocktail ennui, flicking cards into the coal scuttle, when in buttled Jeeves with the quenching tray"
From the first line, this book absolutely hooked me in. When I closed the back cover, all I could say way "What a smashing good book". I've laughed out loud, snickered, and read with a goofy permagrin on my face the antics and predicaments of Bertie Wooster. I don't know half as much about Wodehouse as I'd like to know, but I found Schott's homage to him to be spot o
Michael G
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Schott gets 5 stars for not only nailing PGW, but doing him proud - and encouraging me - and I hope many others - to dive back into the oeuvres. Tremendously enjoyable and clever; I haven’t had this much fun with a recently written book in a long time.
Gerry
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Schott does declare on the title page of this book, 'An homage to P.G. Wodehouse' and adds, authorised by the Wodehouse Estate'. No wonder it is authorised because it is so in the style of PG that the Master might have written it himself. And he would have been proud to have done so. The similes Ben Schott uses, for examples, seem to be straight from the Wodehouse pen, such as Aunt Dahlia's soup being described as, 'rather like eating electricity with a rusty knife'.

Bertie is his usual self,
Mela
A divinely hilarious homage for P.G. Wodehouse. Superbly read by James Lance. Like SueKich has written: Countless chortles per chapter!

Thank you Emilia Barnes - I have tried it only thanks to you.
Brenda
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have seen all the Stephen Fry/Hugh Laurie Jeeves and Wooster episodes many, many times. I have read most of the Blandings Castle canon. I have listened to or read many of the Jeeves and Wooster books. I am not a Wodehouse expert, but I have some real street cred. I thoroughly enjoyed Jeeves and the King of Clubs.

Some readers have found the plot too simple, but the Wodehouse Jeeves books are episodic also. I think Wodehouse's plotting genius shines more in the Blandings Castle stories which ar
Emilia Barnes
I admit I was sceptical about this. But it quickly won me over. It’s very well rendered, language accurate, voices just right and the narrator’s Hugh Laurie impression didn’t hurt at all. Like a proper Wodehouse it made me laugh a lot. It’s rather more full of espionage than a traditional Wodehouse but it’s all in the same silly hijinks spirit. I’m not a Wodehouse purist, granted, but I think even one of those would have a good time with this novel.

If I was to raise a criticism it would be that
Jane Gregg
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tinkity-tonk! Bally wonderful homage to all things Wooster. Ben Schott has done a fantastic job in saluting all that is great, nay essential, in the Wodehouse canon. Highly recommended.
Eleanor
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
An homage to P.G. Wodehouse (as the subtitle says) has got a lot to live up to, and Ben Schott pretty admirably fills the shoes of the master here; without trying too slavishly to pastiche PGW, he manages those signature goofy similes with aplomb. (My only objection might be that his Wooster is actually not enough of an idiot.) In this outing, Wooster discovers that the Junior Ganymede Club, the organisation of gentlemen’s gentlemen to which Jeeves belongs, has in fact been functioning as an arm ...more
Sydney
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new Jeeves story? YES PLEASE! We are big Wodehouse fans in our house, and I was excited to see this title on the list at NetGalley. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. All your favorite characters are back. We learn that Jeeves is a spy relied upon by the government. But of course he is! It is perhaps surprising that they allow Bertie to get involved too, given his track record, but it certainly makes for an entertaining story. Ben Schott does a great job with the language and the plot, and the bo ...more
Marian Rakestraw
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book more than I have enjoyed any book in a long, long, time. It is the middle of winter, my attention span has been rivaling that of a particularly sketchy gnat, and this book not only held my interest, it had me rushing through obligations to get back to it. It is utterly charming. Deeply smart. Engagingly silly. The only problem I had with it was that by the time we reached the apex of the action, I’d forgotten what Bertie was supposed to be trying to achieve (note explanation ...more
Christopher Roden
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent work. Really captures the Wodehousian atmosphere.
Maine Colonial
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, novel
When I read the book description, I thought how clever it was to have the Junior Ganymede Club act as an instrument of British intelligence and, on top of that, to have the plot revolve around chasing a possible tool of fascist foreign governments. That’s not as frothy and frivolous a plot as the usual Wodehouse, but Wodehouse regularly featured authoritarian jerks like Roderick Spode, and going after them is something I always wished for.

In addition to Jeeves and Wooster, there are loads of reg
Renita D'Silva
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Thrilling and wonderful
Cassie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
When reading this, I viewed it separately from any Wodehouse Jeeves and Wooster book since it is an homage and since there's only ever been one Wodehouse--and he's dead. But even viewing it as a separate novel, I thought it was just okay. One thing that really gets my goat with historical fiction is when authors explain things that readers of the time wouldn't need explained and narrators would never explain. Let us figure out through context, without lengthy exposition, that Wooster's new slipp ...more
Steve
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received Jeeves & The King of Clubs for Christmas, and breezed through it in a couple of days between pies, puddings and presents. I think it’s successful because it doesn't try to artificially produce a new Jeeves & Wooster: rather, Schott charts a new course, inspired by the original novels. (And persistent brazen anachronism acknowledges the book’s modern provenance.) I think that’s wise, because although the writing is lively, it doesn’t approach Wodehouse’s own irrepressible brio.

What tha
Tory
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every moment of this book! Schott has utterly captured the essence, style (and wit) of P.G. Wodehouse's beloved characters, Bertie Wooster and his "gentleman's personal gentleman", Jeeves.

I hope this is the beginning of a series!

Some fun gems to remember:

"Madeline Bassett is the Charybdis to Florence Craye's Scylla. Just as deadly to the seafaring community, but offering a subtly different form of death by drowning. Whereas Florence dashes you on the rocks of her intellectual disapproval
Ivor Armistead
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Glorious! Plum is gazing down from heaven with a smile on his face and a melody in his heart. Schott had the audacity to go toe to toe with Wodehouse, and the match is even. In two regards Wodehouse may have been bettered. Schott’s Bertie is a brighter bulb, and inclusion of Iona MacAuslan, an intelligent, strong and independent women, brings Bertie and Jeeves into the 21st Century.

I hope that Mr. Schott is not content with this marvelous achievement but will keep at it and provide Wodehouse afi
Maggi LeDuc
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Adored this plot, which felt true to Wodehouse in all the best ways while introducing a fantastic spy plot to the mix.
Judy
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook. So much so that I rewound it several times just to enjoy it again. Fun and fast-paced plus it was refreshing to have clever brains save the day again and again.

• Jeeves and the Wedding Bells
  • Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • Pearls, Girls And Monty Bodkin
  • Heavy Weather (Blandings Castle, #5)
  • Service With a Smile
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • Hot Water
  • A Pelican at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #11)
  • Floret Farm's Discovering Dahlias: A Guide to Growing and Arranging Magnificent Blooms
  • Young Men in Spats
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #4)
  • Quick Service
  • I Saw Him Die (Agatha Christie #4)
  • Summer Lightning (Blandings Castle, #4)
  • Leave It to Psmith (Psmith, #4)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • Full Moon (Blandings Castle, #7)

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...
“Properly cared for, a Savile Row suit can be handed down the generations—like gout.” 3 likes
“Such diplomacy is not to be sneezed at, for the suit is a window to the soul: lightweight cotton when cash is tight, Italian cashmere when an inheritance lands; waistlines drawn in during illness or anxiety, and let out at times of excess. Weddings, funerals, christenings, and court appearances—all of life's landmarks are sanctified, quietly and confidentially, by one's tailor.” 3 likes