Start by marking “Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul” as Want to Read:
Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul

Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul

Poet, writer, and Instagram sensation Nikita Gill returns with a collection of fairytales poetically retold for a new generation of women.

Traditional fairytales are rife with cliches and gender stereotypes: beautiful, silent princesses; ugly, jealous, and bitter villainesses; girls who need rescuing; and men who take all the glory.

But in this rousing new prose and poetr
Published September 11th 2018 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Fairytales, please sign up.
Elaine This book is not for young readers. I would recommend the book for young adults and adults. (Readers need to have a background on fairytales and how…moreThis book is not for young readers. I would recommend the book for young adults and adults. (Readers need to have a background on fairytales and how they originated to appreciate "Fierce Fairytales.")(less)

Jo (That book-hoarding geek)
Before I even talk about the content in this book, I just want to express just how much I love the cover. It is so attractive, and I'm afraid I've ran my hands over it countless times, which obviously, I'm unapologetic about, because it's simply beautiful. I'd buy it just for the cover.
Nikita Gill has taken classic fairytales, and in these she has masterfully combined the subjects of empowerment, love, feminism, abuse and mental illness. I enjoyed the way Gill kind of climbs into these character
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you Hachette Books for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Trust Nikita Gill when she turns classic fairytales in verses and her take about feminism, abuse, mental illness, love and empowerment. The poems are creative and beautifully written. I'm carried away with her words. Nikita Gill digs deeper into each character's personalities -- both villains and heroes. Our princesses aren't damsel in distress, they do not rely on their princes. It's refreshing to read my childhood s
Schizanthus
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Content warnings include abuse, mental illness, trauma, alcoholism, betrayal, abandonment, bullying and eating disorders.

In these short stories and poems you’ll find well known fairytales with insights into characters, backstories and different endings. Sleeping Beauty doesn’t wait for a Prince to awaken her; she does it herself. Jack is willing to face a giant to escape his abusive mother. Tinkerbell embraces her anger.

My absolute favourite was this empowering gem:
Once Upon a Time II

But the
Kristy K
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I wish I could say I loved this more. I follow Gill on Instagram and while I’ve enjoyed her posts there, these longer stories didn’t have the same oomph that her shorter ones do. Many just fell short for me.

"Seven," "Trolls," and "In The Old Days II" all resonated with me though.

*A big thank you to Hachette Books and Nikita Gill for a free copy of this book.*
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the brooding witch)
”These days, falling in love is letting your soft, innocent heart get into a car with a dangerous stranger and just praying nothing dreadful happens to it.”

⭐⭐⭐⭐ stars

Beautiful book filled with beautiful tales. It just gets a bit redondant after a while.
Bekka
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Was pretty good until halfway through when I noticed it kept recycling its own ideas over and over again. Also one story in here perpetuating the idea that women cannot be their own person while also being a wife and/or mother? Yeah um fuck that?
Sayo
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
After reading the first few pages, I thought for sure that this book was not for me.
By the time I got to the end of "The Fable in Thermodynamics" I was officially a Nikita Gill fan.

This book is full of incredibly brilliant, and beautiful verses. Verses that will stay with you, verses that you will want to share with your friends, or just read to yourself over and over again.

Nikita Gill takes the fairy tales we were all told as kids, and turns them completely around. She turns the helpless heroi
Rachel (rachandbooks)
"She wears her strength and darkness equally well. The girl has always been half goddess half hell."

Empowering. Moving. Tender. Thoughtful. This book of poems and stories is all of that and more. There are a LOT of poems in this book and I enjoyed nearly every one. Nikita Gill tackles a wide variety of timeless stories, from all different perspectives, from Rapunzel to Peter Pan to the Red Queen to Scheherazade to the Stepmother from Cinderella to Baba Yaga and much, much more. It's really refre
Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

I have read many of Nikita Gill's poems and works of prose, so of course I couldn't deny Fierce Fairytales when I happened upon it. The promise of poetry and prose mixed in with my favorite fairy tales drew me in right away. I loved that this book skipped around, talking of the universe and Rumpelstiltskin with just a page turn separating them. Like always, Nikita Gill tells stories of strength and empowerment, eschewing traditional definitions of
Divine
I DNF'd this one by page 107. This collection was a pretty great rep for villains we love to hate in our stories. This talks about abuse, superficiality, heartbreak, and has this recurring feminist theme. HOWEVER, This was just too freaking repetitive and dare I say unoriginal? I felt way too uncomfortable reading the cheesy poems and the predictability of it all, sometimes I feel like it tries so hard to be an aesthetic self-help book Hahhahaahahh. YES, THE MESSAGE IS QUITE RELEVANT and I think ...more
Krissy Hamrick
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Beautiful. Unique. Inspiring. Nikita Gill is probably my favorite poetry artist. This was an amazing book full of self love, understanding, healing, and loving one another. Absolutely perfect.
Eunice Moral
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Great premise, mediocre execution.

I've read her previous poetry book Your Soul is a River and quite enjoyed the same. I remember tabbing few poems that resonated with me more than the others. It has a theme of self-love, self-healing, love, loss and heartbreak, which I appreciated. Now comes her newest poetry book Fierce Fairytales: Poems & Stories to Stir Your Soul which delves on a different take on our most loved fairy tales. Incorporated herein, are the same themes she's been actively a
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I am not sure what I was expecting when I requested this book, but what I read was definitely not it. I had never read anything by Nikita Gill, yet I understand she has quite a following. In this collection, Nikita Gil addresses some of the biggest problems in the fairytale genre: women in fairy tales are often beautiful and silent and if they are not then they are villians, men are either pawns or abusive.

Nikita Gill rewrites the stories we are familiar with in poetry or prose that makes them
Alexa
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but rounding up because I enjoyed the way fairytales and folklore were used in the poems and stories. I really liked the overall sense of empowerment I felt after reading this collection, and I thought the imagery was pretty clever. It did get a touch heavy-handed at times, but on the flip side, it meant a clear thematic message all throughout too.
Leanne
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, poetry
2.5 Stars! TW: Abuse & Emotional Abuse.
Rep: Girl Power, Self Love, Abuse.

I felt a lot of her work in this collection of poems and stories would start off strong then end flat. It felt like the writing didn't work with the tone it was attempting to set.
I also felt in her work you could feel her hurt, anger and sadness. The overall stories are meant to be about self love and bringing women up but I could also feel this strong hatred towards men. Which felt off for me. Who hurt you? The love
Amanda
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get an advance reader copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review. I really like Nikita Gill's poetry and I loved this collection so much! It was a quick and easy read that I couldn't put down. I loved the entire book. It was filled with both magic and truth and fire. Each piece is a poem or short story that is somehow related to a fairy tale but also reality. I highly recommend this book if you like poetry about strong women, pain, betrayal, and the spirit of a ...more
Emy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Definitions of you are for you to make and for you alone.

Beauty without kindness and bravery is just a pretty, empty shell, my dear. And you can find plenty of those on the beach. People use them to decorate their rooms. So I hope you aspire to be so much more than just beautiful. I hope you aspire to be so much more than a pretty little thing that decorates the room you walk into."

‘I exist. Outside of being a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, I exist. I exist as a human first, as a bei
Jenna
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Hachette Books for a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thankful to have you as a partner.

This is my first time reading a book of poems and short stories, so it is safe to say that it is not typically my genre of choice. After reading this one, I can safely say that I LOVE the poetry - the short stories just maybe aren’t for me.

The poems in this book all have a beautiful underlying lesson, and I found myself wanting to write down quotes to share wit
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
I LOVE NIKITA GILL. Every time I am looking for healing words, I open up a book written by this amazing insta-poet and it always soothes my soul, and with Fierce Fairytales, it is no exception. I read a poem every day and they always left me mesmerized with the way she writes magical and empowering words! Fierce Fairytales is a collection of short stories and poems featuring old-time favorite fairytales with a twist. Each short story or retelling gives us an unexpected view of some characters an ...more
Elvina Zafril
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The cover is just soooo pretty! All the poems were good.
Leona  Carstairs
Nov 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-need-need
I need this book so much that I fear I shall die of longing if it doesn't find its way into my hands soon
Annise
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Annise by: Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
"Boy Lost" is really beautiful and gave insight into Peter Pan that I had not considered before.
The rest of this collection is really lovely and empowering. I wish some of the lore had been based from previous storytellers' other than Disney (In poems about the Little Mermaid, she makes constant reference to losing her voice, when in the older tales she traded her fins for her feet)

reminds me a lot of Rupi Kaur's poetry
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Repetition, lack of flow, and excusing behaviour made me rate this low. I think it has potential but a lack of execution. Not sure if I will read anymore of Gill's work.
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Grief makes unlikely warriors out of all of us."

For me, this book was one of those books at the bookstore that finds you. I had no intention of adding another book to my stack, but the cover caught my eye. I walked past it a couple times, reading a few sentences at each pass, until I gave in to the feeling that this one had to go home with me. This is why I believe in book magic and the right books finding us when we need them.

“Chase your adventures, face your breaking, it’s the pain that w
Moriah Conant
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
What a beautiful, empowering book. Nikita Gill masterfully reworks well-known fairytales with new perspectives and commentary on the key issues of the world.

10 out of 10 would recommend.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
I've only, very recently, discovered poetry.

Don't get me wrong, I've read a lot of poetry in class; it was just never something I came home and picked up in my free time.

Even though I knew of Nikita Gill, I hadn't really gotten into her poetry before, either. Then I read the synopsis for Fierce Fairytales (and, to be honest, stared longingly at the cover as well) and fell in LOVE with the idea.

This book, though small, was POWERFUL. Nikita Gill managed to spin the fairytales we grew up with in
Nadine | Epilogues
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Das erste Jahreshighlight für 2019 und zudem All-time-favorite 🙌

Hinter dem schönen Cover verbirgt sich eine Märchensammlung aus Gedichten, Kurzgeschichten und Illustrationen, jedes nicht länger als drei Seiten und sprachlich wunderschön auf den Punkt gebracht. Neben Cinderella und Dornröschen finden sich auch Geschichten zu Peter Pan, Alice im Wunderland oder 1001 Nacht und behandeln die Themen Feminismus, Rassismus, Mental Health und Selbstliebe.

Nikita Gill würde ich nach zwei Gedichtbänden sc
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fierce is the perfect word to describe this collection of poetry and prose inspired by fairytales. The women in here are strong and unapologetic and they have wisdom to share and lessons to teach about identity, power, acceptance, and strength. I marked so many passages and selections that I want to go back to -- a couple of favorites include Why Tinkerbell Quit Anger Management, The Moon Dragon, The Evil Queen, and Beauty and Bravery. These were amazing. While these aren't tales for young child ...more
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
tw: mentions of eating disorders, anxiety, depression and abuse

I LOVED THIS SO MUCH???? i immediately want to reread it. it resonated with me a lot.
N.
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

‘Heroes are meant
to be forged golden
from the blaze.’
(pg. 14)

I was very excited when I got approved for this book. It has all my favorite things in the title: feminism (yay!) and fairytales (yay!). And that cover? Swoon-worthy. The reading experience, however, was more… meh. The concept is good, it’s just not executed as well as it should be. The themes are repetitive, and nothing is structured or cohesive. This
Into the Forest: Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul 4 11 Jan 13, 2019 06:14AM
Nikita Gill is a Indian Sikh writer brought up in Gurugram, Haryana in India. In her mid twenties, she immigrated to the South of England and worked as a carer for many years. She enjoys creating paintings, poems, stories, photos, illustrations and other soft, positive things. Her work has appeared in Literary Orphans, Agave Magazine, Gravel Literary Journal, Monkeybicycle, Foliate Oak, MusePiePre ...more
“A clever woman is more lethal than a freshly crafted magic wand, and that is why she is fear.” 4 likes
“Everyone has forgotten that Lucifer was beautiful too and God's favorite till he fell.” 4 likes