Start by marking “Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul” as Want to Read:
Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul

Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul

Poet, writer, and Instagram sensation Nikita Gill returns with a collection of fairytales poetically retold for a new generation of women.

Traditional fairytales are rife with cliches and gender stereotypes: beautiful, silent princesses; ugly, jealous, and bitter villainesses; girls who need rescuing; and men who take all the glory.

But in this rousing new prose and poetr
Published September 11th 2018 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Fairytales, please sign up.
Moriah Conant There is a lot of trauma talked about in this book. I would recommend pre-reading it so that you can decide if it's appropriate for the person you hav…moreThere is a lot of trauma talked about in this book. I would recommend pre-reading it so that you can decide if it's appropriate for the person you have in mind :)(less)

Start your review of Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul
 Teodora
4.5/5 ⭐

"Where are the stories for the wicked girls, the ones where they are told perfection is a lie?"

I know it might sound a bit deranged, but I would make sure that I would read some of the poems and stories in this book to my children to make them understand that stories, even though beautiful and magical, can be told in so many different ways.

There is a thing about fairy tales: they never change. Even though the times change. So one has to do what one has to do and make some adjustments
Lucy Langford
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5*****

“A clever woman is more lethal than a freshly crafted magic wand, and that is why she is fear."

(For some reason my review deleted itself so here it is again! Thank you to those who had liked and commented).

Spellbinding and magical! I loved “Wild Embers” by Nikita Gill and this book of poems was just as good!

Nikita Gill blends poetry and fairytale stories designed to empower and reimagine the tales we are told as children.

Imagine fairytales where the line between heroes and villains are bl
Jenna
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenna by: Lucy Langford
"Her mother told her she could grow up to be anything she wanted to be, so she grew up to become the strongest of the strong, the strangest of the strange, the wildest of the wild, the wolf leading the wolves."

What a brilliant collection of poems and short stories! Magical and creative and enthralling, Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul is fairytales for feminists. If I had a daughter, these are the versions I would want to tell her. This isn't a book for children though;
~The Bookish Redhead~
Before I even talk about the content in this book, I just want to express just how much I love the cover. It is so attractive, and I'm afraid I've ran my hands over it countless times, which obviously, I'm unapologetic about, because it's simply beautiful. I'd buy it just for the cover.
Nikita Gill has taken classic fairytales, and in these she has masterfully combined the subjects of empowerment, love, feminism, abuse and mental illness. I enjoyed the way Gill kind of climbs into these character
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A bit too much feminism (for my humble taste) but a lot of it was actually nice and mostly well-balanced.

Poetry? Maybe. But I liked quite a lot of it, so 5 stars is a given.

Q:
Maybe magic ends with me
and it will never cross your path
but I want you to remember
that survival is an art.
The world is falsehood
so you rely on your smarts.

Princes fail all the time.
Passion sometimes goes cold
And princesses on days of fortune
can turn straw into gold.
Kind kings become greedy
And dragons can have soft souls.
C.G. Drews
I borrowed this on a whim at the library (well, I reserved it, unseen) and I thought it was going to be actual stories of fairytales but with feminist twists. But no! It's poetry! And so I read a lot of Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace this year and I've decided I really quite like feminist poetry. And this was beautiful and empowering. All the fairy tale poems were clever too.

The ones I loved the most were (1) Wendy being dismissed for hallucinating Neverland, but clawing out of the asylum and be
Bekka
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Was pretty good until halfway through when I noticed it kept recycling its own ideas over and over again. Also one story in here perpetuating the idea that women cannot be their own person while also being a wife and/or mother? Yeah um fuck that?
Schizanthus Nerd
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Content warnings include abuse, mental illness, trauma, alcoholism, betrayal, abandonment, bullying and eating disorders.

In these short stories and poems you’ll find well known fairytales with insights into characters, backstories and different endings. Sleeping Beauty doesn’t wait for a Prince to awaken her; she does it herself. Jack is willing to face a giant to escape his abusive mother. Tinkerbell embraces her anger.

My absolute favourite was this empowering gem:
Once Upon a Time II

But the
Beatrice Masaluñga
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, arc
Thank you Hachette Books for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Trust Nikita Gill when she turns classic fairytales in verses and her take about feminism, abuse, mental illness, love and empowerment. The poems are creative and beautifully written. I'm carried away with her words. Nikita Gill digs deeper into each character's personalities -- both villains and heroes. Our princesses aren't damsel in distress, they do not rely on their princes. It's refreshing to read my childhood s
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
The idea is good, the illustrations gorgeous; but the last 1/3 of the collection is just a big giant bash against men with no real fairytale link at all. It’s really too bad Nikita Gill can’t seem to understand that not all men are awful. The last few poems are very disturbing to me considering they are the most likely to be remembered (being last). It's too bad because many of the poems near the beginning of this compilation are solid, strong takes on known stories.

Great pacing & feel
Gill give
Kristy K
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I wish I could say I loved this more. I follow Gill on Instagram and while I’ve enjoyed her posts there, these longer stories didn’t have the same oomph that her shorter ones do. Many just fell short for me.

"Seven," "Trolls," and "In The Old Days II" all resonated with me though.

*A big thank you to Hachette Books and Nikita Gill for a free copy of this book.*
Mellie Antoinette
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
#unpopularopinion but this was just a so-so for me. While there was a time in my life when I would have identified with the whole “I am woman, hear me roar” idea, it was a bit overdone here. It made me sad in a way. On a brighter note, I suppose I’m blessed that I no longer feel either limited or defined by this concept.

Squirrel 🐿! The drawings are stellar!
Divine Anas
I DNF'd this one by page 107. This collection was a pretty great rep for villains we love to hate in our stories. This talks about abuse, superficiality, heartbreak, and has this recurring feminist theme. HOWEVER, This was just too freaking repetitive and dare I say unoriginal? I felt way too uncomfortable reading the cheesy poems and the predictability of it all, sometimes I feel like it tries so hard to be an aesthetic self-help book Hahhahaahahh. YES, THE MESSAGE IS QUITE RELEVANT and I think ...more
Cyndi
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Twists on fairy tales that finds emotions hidden within poetry.
Ishmeen
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nikita Gill’s poetry always manages to make me tear up and feel 1000 times better after I finish it❤️ Really needed to read this
Sahitya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I hardly ever read poetry, but sometimes some books just seem so interesting that they don’t leave you until you pick them up. This is one such book. Right from that captivating cover, this book has had my attention and when I finally had the opportunity to participate in Read-India-Thon this week, I decided it was finally time to read it. Even if this turns out to be my token poetry book for the year, I’m so glad to have made the choice.

We all love fairytales, with damsels in distress and prin
Amy (libraryofamy)
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’ve been eyeing this poetry collection for over a year. I’m sad that I don’t like it. Though the illustrations are gorgeous and there’s a couple of impactful poems/stories in there, I was ultimately unmoved and unimpressed with like, 95% of it.

I kind of lost any hope for enjoyment when the phrase “how to play with your brokenness like it is a fidget spinner” was used. It’s just a bad line and I’m shocked it was given the green light to include in this final published version, because it’s just
Jenna
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
This book is STUNNING - I absolutely love all the fairytales turned on their heads. The language is great, all the self-love poems are fabulous, and I found so many good nuggets to remember for later.
Heather
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed what she did here. Well known (and some not so well known to me) fairy tales, turned ass over teakettle, with a feminist twist. I can totally dig it.
Clem (the villain's quest)
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
”These days, falling in love is letting your soft, innocent heart get into a car with a dangerous stranger and just praying nothing dreadful happens to it.”

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars

Beautiful book filled with beautiful tales. It just gets a bit redondant after a while.
anud-be
Wow 😭💕
Just wow
No word can describe the way this book made me feel .
My heart is full .
I love it so much .
Sayo
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
After reading the first few pages, I thought for sure that this book was not for me.
By the time I got to the end of "The Fable in Thermodynamics" I was officially a Nikita Gill fan.

This book is full of incredibly brilliant, and beautiful verses. Verses that will stay with you, verses that you will want to share with your friends, or just read to yourself over and over again.

Nikita Gill takes the fairy tales we were all told as kids, and turns them completely around. She turns the helpless heroi
Trisha
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
It was at mention of "people who know how to play with your brokenness like a fidget spinner" that I realized I couldn't keep doing this to myself. The premise is good, the writing is bad.

DNF at 50 pages.

(Side note: I've learned a valuable lesson on why we don't judge books by their covers...)
Megan Alyse
Jun 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Read this at the request of a friend. This book is an attempt to re make patriarchal fairytales into feminist and female positive remasterings. It did not achieve its goals. But rather, uses tropes , repeating ideas and language, cliches, mixed metaphor and boring images to project “girl power” which evokes such a lack of sincerity, that the intended feminist ideas in the book are cancelled out and falsified in the sheer light of inadequacy. I want to like this book so badly. So so badly. The pr ...more
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Nikita Gill puts an adult, mostly feminist spin on common fairytales and legends in her collection, titled Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul. For me, though, the content wasn’t as stirring as promised.

Gill uses various points of view, including main and sideline characters from traditional tales. And she draws from tales around the world, which is a positive. The primary angle on the retelling is advice for young women from one who’s somewhat older. For example, Cinderella’s
Eunice Moral
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Great premise, mediocre execution.

I've read her previous poetry book Your Soul is a River and quite enjoyed the same. I remember tabbing few poems that resonated with me more than the others. It has a theme of self-love, self-healing, love, loss and heartbreak, which I appreciated. Now comes her newest poetry book Fierce Fairytales: Poems & Stories to Stir Your Soul which delves on a different take on our most loved fairy tales. Incorporated herein, are the same themes she's been actively advoc
Leanne (Beauty & The Book Dragon)
2.5 Stars! TW: Abuse & Emotional Abuse.
Rep: Girl Power, Self Love, Abuse.

I felt a lot of her work in this collection of poems and stories would start off strong then end flat. It felt like the writing didn't work with the tone it was attempting to set.
I also felt in her work you could feel her hurt, anger and sadness. The overall stories are meant to be about self love and bringing women up but I could also feel this strong hatred towards men. Which felt off for me. Who hurt you? The love wil
Rachel (rachandbooks)
"She wears her strength and darkness equally well. The girl has always been half goddess half hell."

Empowering. Moving. Tender. Thoughtful. This book of poems and stories is all of that and more. There are a LOT of poems in this book and I enjoyed nearly every one. Nikita Gill tackles a wide variety of timeless stories, from all different perspectives, from Rapunzel to Peter Pan to the Red Queen to Scheherazade to the Stepmother from Cinderella to Baba Yaga and much, much more. It's really refre
Bex
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hate poetry. It does nothing for me and I don’t have the patience to sit and work out the metaphorical language or to read between the lines. I guess I just don’t appreciate it. But I loved this collection of poetic fairytales.

Some authors resonate with you, some can’t get close enough to you at all to even leave a mark and others are a perfect fit. The latter only happens to me when an author writes in such a way that I am completely immersed; it’s as though they have delicately removed sent
Jessica C Writes
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Personally, I could not find myself relating to this collection at all. I think the way fairytales are incorporated is very unique, which is why I gave it a 3 as opposed to a 2. As for the actual content, I did not find it that appealing, which is so upsetting to me. I tried so hard to get myself to like it, but I was just finding myself bored throughout most of it. It was hard to keep reading for me because I wasn't feeling very engaged in the writing. There were a few poems that I enjoyed, but ...more
Into the Forest: Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul 16 25 Feb 16, 2019 05:25PM

• To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Nocturnal
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • The Dogs I Have Kissed
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • [Dis]Connected: Poems and Stories of Connection and Otherwise ([Dis]Connected #1)
  • I Hope You Stay
  • Honeybee
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts #3)
Nikita Gill is a Indian Sikh writer brought up in Gurugram, Haryana in India. In her mid twenties, she immigrated to the South of England and worked as a carer for many years. She enjoys creating paintings, poems, stories, photos, illustrations and other soft, positive things. Her work has appeared in Literary Orphans, Agave Magazine, Gravel Literary Journal, Monkeybicycle, Foliate Oak, MusePiePre ...more