Start by marking “The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle” as Want to Read:
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  92,927 ratings  ·  16,427 reviews
A brilliantly original high concept murder mystery from a fantastic new talent: Gosford Park meets Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express

'Somebody's going to be murdered at the ball tonight. It won't appear to be a murder and so the murderer won't be caught. Rectify that injustice and I'll show you the way out.'

It is meant to be a celebration but it ends in
Published September 18th 2018 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published February 8th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, please sign up.
Stuart Turton Hi there, sorry - I didn't realise this page existed! Yes, 'Seven Deaths' and '7 1/2 Deaths' are exactly the same. We had a clash in the US and had to…moreHi there, sorry - I didn't realise this page existed! Yes, 'Seven Deaths' and '7 1/2 Deaths' are exactly the same. We had a clash in the US and had to change the title there, hence 7 1/2. Don't worry, you're getting exactly the same amount of murder for your money, though. (less)

·  92,927 ratings  ·  16,427 reviews

Start your review of The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
chai ♡
Has anyone else ever finished a book and was tempted to pull a Luke Skywalker and just disappear to an island in the middle of nowhere and dramatically stare at the ocean for an unascertained amount of time? Because I felt that.

I didn't expect to tear through this book, but I didthere was just so much restlessness in my reading, an urgency to reach the ending. Its been days and I am still so keenly, strangely, extensively aware of explosions still taking place inside my head. Honestly? If
Miranda Reads
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description
Looking for a new book but don't want to commit? Check out my latest BooktTube Video: One & Done - all about fabulous standalones!

Now that you know this one made the list - check out the video to see the rest!

The Written Review :

Read this one for TCE book club!
description

If this isnt hell, the devil is surely taking notes.
Lord and Lady Hardcastle are throwing a "party" at Blackheath, their crumbling British mansion.

This so-called-party takes place on the anniversary of their son's murder
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5) If youre looking for a book to keep you awake at night because you NEED to finish it then this is it!

Somebodys going to be murdered at the ball tonight. It wont appear to be a murder so the murderer wont be caught. Rectify that injustice and Ill show you the way out.

I loved how unique the premise was, a murder-mystery where the main character gets to relive the same day 8 times to try and solve it but every day he's in a different body.
It was also interesting to see how the different
Regan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

So much fun!
megs_bookrack
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Too little information and you're blind, too much and you're blinded.

The above quoted line perfectly exemplifies the MIND F**KERY ((ahem, literary puzzle)) that is The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

Let me be clear, this book is bloody FANTASTIC!

Never have I been so excited by being so confused whilst reading a book!

Turton is a Master.

This was completely original, completely out there and completely compelling. I was so absorbed in every moment and....well, CONFUSED.

There is really not
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Reading The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle left me MIND BLOWN!🤯 What an intricately layered and amazing plot. If you haven't read this one yet, please jump into this book blindly and savor every moment. At times you will feel like you are flailing in the water, drowning in confusion. Just keep reading, treading through the chapters as you go. Grab hold of the bits that are sent your way and store them. It will all make sense in the end!

I thought I was prepared for Turton. I read carefully,
Berit☀️✨

3.5 maybe it is just me? But never the less confusing stars🌟🌟🌟

The concept of this book was really quite brilliant... A little reminiscent of both Life After Life and Ground Hog Day.... with the added little twist of the body swapping....

Admittedly it is holiday time and I was not as focused on this book as I needed to be.... so as far as me being confused throughout the majority of this book, it could very likely just be a me problem.... I kept needing to go back and reread parts because I
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a thriller following an investigation into the murder of a girl who is murdered every singe night. The main character switches bodies every day in an attempt to get different points of view. And yes, it is wild.

So the thing Ive seen praised about this book is that the plot is ridiculously complex, and it very much is. I am in awe over the tight plotting used in this book. This must have taken a very long outline and the complexity certainly makes this
Paromjit
Stuart Turton has written an extraordinarily original, atmospheric, intelligent and fiendishly complex novel that I really loved! At one level it masquerades as an Agatha Christie style golden age classic crime, and indeed many of the tropes present in that genre are here such as the diverse range of characters at a country house party. It is no exaggeration to say it is so much more, including the presence of time leaps, and absolutely nothing is as it seems. Prior to the murder of Evelyn ...more
jessica
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow. this book is wild! i swear, i spent the majority of the story whispering what the heck is going on??? to myself over and over. i still dont even think i know what i just read, i just know i really enjoyed it.

this is a whodunnit unlike anything i have read before. mainly because of how ambitious it is. there are so many characters, each with their own role and secrets, which creates multiple plot layers and forces different outcomes for various events, all while a murder is trying to be
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need urgent extra brain cell transplantation right now! What a mind blowing- twisting- bending and also f*cking book! If it wasnt so much captivating journey, I wouldnt finish it! I loved it so much but Im really tired right now. It takes too much of your energy to read it and totally worth it! ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap on a cracker! First chapter and Im in crazy town!

Well. That went downhill fast! Im totally in the minority here! I usually love this kind of strange book. But I had to slog through this book. Seriously, I need to start dnfing because time is precious!

Sigh!! Im happy for almost ALL of my friends that loved this!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
karen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that i bought in hardcover and put off reading long enough that it is now in paperback.

"Funny how things repeat, isnt it?"

i have read a lot of books, but i have never read anything like this.

thats one of those glib clichés; the book-blurb equivalent of picking a tattoo from the wall, but in this case, its the absolute truth. its a baller of a debutan intricately plotted and wholly satisfying mix of sci-fi and mystery; their
Mikayla Kennedy
DNF at 20%. E-arc provides by netgalley. (Thank god I didnt spend money on this sh-t)

Let me count the ways this is a sad, fatphobic excuse for a book.
1. I awake wheezing, crushed beneath the tremendous monument of my new hosts stomach.
2. No doubt sensing my indecision, he abandons his vigil, slipping his hands under my armpits and tugging me into a sitting position. I pay for his assistance in shame.
3. The platter beneath is piled high with eggs and bacon, a side helping of pork chops, a pot
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I just finished my September 2019 reread for my IRL book club, and I am still in love with this book! Also, I just came up with a completely different theory on what the 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle REALLY means, and Im so curious to know if Im right. Its horribly spoilery, and its behind spoiler tags at the end of this review.

All the stars! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature.

Debut author Stuart Turtons The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, originally published earlier this year in
emma
Well, yikes.

Here are the things I knew about this book before starting it:
1) Its original title (and current UK title) was The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, which, in pure coincidence, is very very similar to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and was therefore changed in the US. (I think this is awesome.)
2) Its a murder mystery with quite possibly the coolest conceit of any book ever. (I think this is awesome.)
3) Its teeming with gratuitous fat shaming. (I think this is one of the less
Felice Laverne
4.5 stars!

Whew, what a ride! Stuart Turtons debut novel is the kind of debut we all yearn for: explosive, energetic, engaging and truly something fresh and new on the scene. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a brilliant, high-concept murder mystery that had the cogs in my mind turning from the very start (imagine waking up in the forest with no memory of who you are and immediately seeing a young woman murdered!). This, in fact, was the first mystery narrative in a very long time that has
Amalia Gavea
Im a man in Purgatory, blind to the sins that chased me here.

What would it be like if one day we found ourselves in an another body? What if this happened on a daily basis? Us changing the vessel but retaining most of the traits that make us who we are? What if by changing identities we could turn back the time and prevent an injustice, a horrible crime? This is the wonderful premise of this exquisite novel by Stuart Turton, one of the most unique books of the year.

A man has the opportunity to
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
3.5 stars 🌟

I have no idea how I actually feel about this one!

This was probably one of the most confusing and complex novels that I have ever read. I actually quite enjoyed the premise of this story as it definitely was quite clever and really made me think but in the end I was a little disappointed with the what just happened? ending which left me feeling a little unsatisfied. I felt a little bit cheated as I was so hoping the ending would have been just as complex and clever as the rest of the
Kylie D
I really don't know how to write a review for this book. Not because I didn't like it, it was fantastic, but because the plot is so intricate and woven I don't want to give anything away. So let's just say it's the story of Aiden, who wakes with no memory at all, just the word 'Anna' on his lips. He finds he's in the middle of a forest, and then manages to stumble across a murder taking place. Aiden is then destined to relive the same day over and over again, until he can solve the murder of ...more
Holly  B
Get ready for the most unusual, overwhelmingly impressive journey through this puzzle land of  "Murder at the Masquerade Ball".

You won't need a ticket to get in, just get a copy of the book (the hard copy so you can enjoy the map of Blackheath, a cozy and quiet place to read (you won't want any distractions), time to ponder all the twists that are going to keep your brain busy!!

I loved it, but needed to pace myself and take my time to enjoy all the twisty turns that the narrator, Aiden
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader

The early reviews I read of this book were mixed, but the last two months, Ive watched so many high ratings come in, I succumbed to temptation and requested. This was one of the most challenging reviews Ive had to write to ensure I didnt give a speck of the fun away.

This book. Wow. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a book you have to give a chance, and if you do, the pay-off is immense if mysteries are your cuppa.

Im offering a basic synopsis because it is best to go into this
Petrik
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/thriller fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
3.5/5 stars

The less you know about this mystery thriller book, the better your experience will be.

First of all, take that rating rounding up or down with a grain of salt, this is a 3.5 stars book for me. As for the review, I honestly have no idea how to review this book, not only mystery/thriller is not my usual read or books that I review, I genuinely think that anything I say can be considered a spoiler for a book like this. Ill keep this review brief, try to go into this one as blind as
Jenny
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Im at a loss for words as where to begin with my review. I dont know that I will be able to convey into words my love of Stuart Turtons book, The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. A work of genius and for anyone who loves mysteries or the true old-fashioned who dunnit, this is your book. This is not a modern day mystery/thriller but an honest to goodness murder mystery with a multilayered plot.
This work of art requires your complete focus and attention otherwise you might miss one of the many
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves thrillers any mystery.
5 deserving stars!!! The best book!! (04/04/19 Update: I cannot believe this will be adapted!)

Read for January Buddy Read in Buddy Reads.

How lost do you have to be to let the devil lead you home?
This lost, I decide. Precisely this lost.

When Bell Sabastian finds himself walking in a forest, lost and stripped of his memories; the only word on his lips a name: Anna, he finds himself utterly terrified. The distant cries of a girl being chased by a murderer and then hearing a bullet go off, doesnt
Ginger
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 STARS! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is going to be a tough review to write. Not because I didn't love it, but what to say so that I dont give anything away.
This review is going to be short and to the point. The less you know about this book, the more you will enjoy it!

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle was a mixture of a Agatha Christie novel and the sci-fi television series, Quantum Leap.

So, if youve never heard of Quantum Leap, the premise of the television series is the main character Dr. Sam Beckett
Beverly
I really can't express how much I hated this book. It felt like I was taken in, because it promises a lot up front, but it does not deliver. Too many characters, too much going back and forth between the same scenes with no clear road map made my head hurt. 512 pages of confusing gibberish later I thought there might be a stunning conclusion to wrap it all up neatly, no, that was way too much to hope for. Many of my smart Goodreads friends did not finish this, I wish I could have been among ...more
Luffy
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not 'Gosford Park' meets 'Groundhog Day'. This is 'Friday' meets 'Revolution 9' by way of Miley Cyrus (is she still relevant?). I'm sorry, but this bundle of cheap thrills had no redeeming feature.

The very first paragraph hit me unpleasantly. It was as if a movie had started with the hero walking away from a gigantic explosion that he barely notices. This is like a supercomputer that can beat anyone at chess yet cannot play tic tac toe.

It's not literature in any way shape or form. I hope
Ova - Excuse My Reading
See Full review on my blog

Obviously, I am like the other reviewers:

This book is amazing. The plot is so complicated and full of action, you literally could not stop reading until you learn WHAT THE HELL IS ACTUALLY GOING ON!

If I didn't have that unforgettably pleasant night, I'd go with 3 stars,
If the end didn't disappoint me I'd go with 5 stars,
So I settled at 4.

I so liked this book but I wish the ending, was a bit different.

This is me on page 501...
I felt like lots of things left

• My Sister, the Serial Killer
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • The Hunting Party
  • The Silent Patient
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Recursion
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
  • Once Upon a River
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Lock Every Door
  • Circe
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Binding
  • The Testaments
Stuart lives in London with his amazing wife and daughter. He drinks lots of tea.

What else?

When he left university he went travelling for three months and stayed away for five years. Every time his parents asked when hed be back he told them next week, and meant it.

Stuart is not to be trusted. In the nicest possible way.

Hes got a degree in English and Philosophy, which makes him excellent at

Articles featuring this book