Start by marking “Damage: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Damage: A Novel

Damage: A Novel

(McCabe & Savage Thriller #6)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"James Hayman’s edgy, ingenious novels rival the best of Lisa Gardner, Jeffery Deaver, and Kathy Reichs. A Fatal Obsession is his finest to date: a ferocious live-wire thriller starring two of the most appealing cops in contemporary fiction." —A.J. Finn, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Woman in the Window

Someone’s watching...

Zoe McCabe is a beautiful young actr
Published August 21st 2018 by Witness Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Damage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damage

Linda Strong
4.5 Stars

They call him the Star-Struck Strangler. He abducts young beautiful women who are actresses, singers, anyone in the arts. So far, 5 have been found murdered, one has never been found and now Zoe McCabe, an up and coming Broadway actress has gone missing.

Zoe is the niece of Detective Michael McCabe, the daughter of Mike's brother. He returns to New York, along with his partner and future wife, Detective Maggie Savage to help locate his niece .. with or without permission from the NYPD.

Bo
Cheryl
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not been following this series. Yet, I was able to jump right into this book. I thought that Detectives Mike McCabe and Maggie Savage worked well together...both professionally and romantically. Although, I like that their romantic relationship was not a big focus in this story. It just didn't seem like it would have fit the story as well.

Speaking of the story. I did like it. In fact, I read this book pretty fast. However, when it came to the suspense; it was fine. I would have preferred
Jerry Newcomb
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honing his craft.

James continues to write first class crime thrillers. His Savage and McCabe books get better with each new book (not that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy the previous books). Fast paced with a finely crafted plot. Please continue with this series James and I promise I will keep reading them. Well done.
Syllables of Swathi
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Feel free to visit my blog for a full review: https://syllablesofswathi.wordpress.c...
This book is 6th in sequel to the McCabe & Savage series. To me this is first to read Hayman's books, and I found it to be standalone-ish. A stalker/killer is at loose. He stalks and abducts young woman who are artistic and aspiring in the field. He is obsessed with them and finally kills them. His kill count is 5 so far, and one of them was never found.

Recent victim Zoe McCabe is an aspiring actress and a
Kathleen Kelly
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fatal Obsession is another McCabe and Savage thriller, this time involving the kidnapping of McCabes niece Zoe. She is an aspiring actress who just broke up with her boyfriend, who was cheating on her. Unfortunately, she allows her kidnapper to walk her home after she meets him when she leaves a pub.

Her uncle and Maggie are in a committed relationship and want to purchase a house together, they are in fact in the process of looking at a house when McCabe gets a phone call from his brother tel
Kathleen Kelly
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

McCabe receives the call from his brother that he can't find Zoe. When they can't find Zoe and she is not at her apartment, but the police find that a neighbor was murdered, then they become part
N.W. Moors
Maggie and McCabe are finally ready to take the next step in their relationship when Mike gets a call that his mother is in the hospital in New York City. When they arrive, they discover that Zoe, Mike's actress niece, is missing and possibly the victim of a serial kidnapper and killer. McCabe and Savage team up with New York City's finest to find Zoe and stop the killer before it's too late.
I've really enjoyed the books in this series, but this one wasn't one of my favorites. For one thing, I m
Kathleen Gray
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone- a creep known as the Star Struck Killer- have taken Mike McCabe's niece Zoe. We know up front this is Tyler, who has some serious issues, You know, don't you, that Mike is going to go to New York from Maine and find her. No matter what it takes. With the help of his partner (and love) Maggie, he tears down walls (metaphorically). While it seems a bit surprising that the full resources of the NYPD (and the FBI under the scenario) couldn't do it (although it does find more bad things), th ...more
Shelly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Hayman but it didn't take long for me settle into the characters and their chemistry. The setting fit the entire theme of the obsession plot. From a psychological standpoint, I had goosebumps several times throughout. As I continued getting twisted into the storyline, I found myself double-checking everything in my home. Were the doors locked? Did I leave a window open? Obsession is one of the ultimate creep-factors and this book nails it! McCabe and Savage have a great ...more
Michele bookloverforever
A Fatal Obsession (McCabe & Savage)

Excellent work. Riveting. How police deal with their daily dose of desperation, degredation, violence, I have no idea. This novel is set in McCabe 's hometown of New York City. His mom is dying when the family discovers that McCabe's niece is missing....the niece is very clever and, in the end, compassionate. Good story but I like his Portland locale better.
Judy
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW different

Take on serial killer story! This was original I haven't read a serial killer like this one before and I read a lot of them.So read it!!!
I enjoyed this book went too fast. I've read all of James Haymans work and have loved all of it I always look forward to his new releases. Thanks for all the excellent writing...
Teresa Kander
This is my first book to read in this series, but it was easy to follow as a stand-alone novel. I enjoyed the professional and personal relationships between Michael McCabe and Maggie Savage--they make a great team in every sense of the word.

The story is very suspenseful, with a few twists that I didn't see coming. It's a personal case for McCabe, as his niece has been kidnapped by a serial killer. We get to see the story from two perspectives--we follow Zoe during the events she is going throu
Mary
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
One of the best serial killer books I have read in a while and I tend to read a great deal of them. My abnormal psychology background just leads me to them and McCabe and Savage never disappoint; they only get better.
Dori
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy this series
Sherry
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book — easy simple read.
Shirley Alvarez
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A FATAL OBSESSION

Every McCabe and Savage novel is good but this one was excellent. Of course I say that when I finish each one. Please keep them coming.
Ed Hathaway
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a good read and kept up the suspense.
Mike
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big fan of this series and author but this book didn't really do it for me. The concept of the main plot was fine but overall plot thread was a little disjointed and unbelievable for me once all was said and done. Also, I felt a little cheated and rushed by the end. The setting was different and I prefer the main setting of the series. Lastly, I didn't like the title of this book prior to reading it but I will say that one of the title words definitely does fit the book.

Solid writing and like th
gayle b smith
Sep 04, 2018
Nancy Frei
Aug 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Like one of the heroes of my thrillers, Detective Sergeant Mike McCabe, I’m a native New Yorker. McCabe was born in the Bronx. I was born in Brooklyn. And we both grew up and spent much of our working lives in the New York City before eventually moving to Portland, Maine. However that’s where the similarities end.

McCabe, after spending a couple of years at NYU Film School, dropped out and decided

McCabe & Savage Thriller (6 books)
  • The Cutting (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #1)
  • The Chill of Night (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #2)
  • Darkness First (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #3)
  • The Girl in the Glass  (McCabe & Savage Thriller #4)
  • The Girl on the Bridge (McCabe & Savage Thriller #5)