Start by marking “In Another Time” as Want to Read:
In Another Time

In Another Time

A sweeping historical novel that spans Germany, England, and the United States and follows a young couple torn apart by circumstance leading up to World War II—and the family secret that may prove to be the means for survival.

Love brought them together. But only time can save them…

1931, Germany. Bookshop owner Max Beissinger meets Hanna Ginsberg, a budding concert violinis
Published March 5th 2019 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about In Another Time, please sign up.
Belinda Goodreads is a book review site only. You can buy an e-book copy above as suggested, order online through other websites or perhaps locate one in your…moreGoodreads is a book review site only. You can buy an e-book copy above as suggested, order online through other websites or perhaps locate one in your local bookshop. (less)

Angela M
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up.
I’m drawn to Holocaust stories because I believe it is so important that we don’t forget what happened. While I was reading this book, I happened to read an article about how Anne Frank’s stepsister recently spoke to a group of students who at a party made a swastika out of plastic cups and posted it on social media. ( https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/us/cal...) Their response was that they didn’t know, didn’t understand and this is why it becomes even more important to educat
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jillian Cantor is a favorite author of mine. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I've read and loved all her books. If you are a hist fic fan like me, her books are must-reads. In Another Time is the most beautiful historical love story. Not a romance, but an authentic, emotional love story.

It's also a story about the love for music. Hanna is a violinist and her violin is what gets her through some horrific times.

Survival is another theme. How does one continue through the motions when your reality is WWII, you are Jewish
Elyse Walters
November 6, 1958: present time.....
Hanna pencils in the date at the top of her sheet music. She writes the days date every day on the sheet music. She doesn’t want to forget.
I immediately had a hunch of what Hanna didn’t want to forget - but without the specific details yet, I was naturally curious. I wanted to know more -and enjoyed the way the book started.
But my interest didn’t hold consistently.

Music, had ‘always ‘ been Hanna’s greatest constant companion. She started violin lessons at age
Jennifer Blankfein
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Follow Book Nation by Jen for all reviews.
Memories of the Past, a Vision to the Future, and the Power of Music Join Together in this Magical Wartime Love Story.

In Another Time by Jillian Cantor is a wonderful historical fiction novel with deep characters who love books, music and each other.

In 1930s Berlin, Max, a German bookshop owner sees Hanna playing what she loves most, the violin. He is enchanted and in an attempt to get her attention, he brings her what he loves most, a book. After his de
Mary Kubica
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy to have received an advanced copy of IN ANOTHER TIME. Mark your calendar for March 2019; this book is not to be missed! Such a beautiful and haunting love story, with an intriguing mystery. Cantor's writing is elegant and evocative, transporting readers to World War II Europe - and the aftermath of the war - with an unforgettable story and wonderful characters who readers won't forget anytime soon.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Hanna and Max found each other by accident or was there a reason they found each other?

Whether it was an accident or for a reason, their love for each other was never ending.

Max walked in on Hanna practicing her violin, and much to his surprise, she wasn't too happy to have him there. It did take a lot to get her attention, but once he did, he couldn't stay away.

We travel back and forth in time and learn of Hanna’s passion for music, her violin, and Max.

IN ANOTHER TIME tells the story of Max an
Jamie
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Beautiful book, beautiful writing, beautiful characters, heartbreaking time in history. No one tugs at my heartstrings more than Jillian Cantor when she writes her WWII novels. Last year, The Lost Letter was on my list of top books of 2017 and I was really looking forward to seeing what she came up with next. I'm happy to say, the story of Hanna and Max is certainly different than any WWII story you've seen before and still has the emotional resonance of Cantor's prior books as well as the signa ...more
Ingrid
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was about WWII and the time in Germany leading up to it, a romance, music and time travel. I liked it, but didn't love it.
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

In Another Time by Jillian Cantor is an incredibly moving story about 2 people during Hitler's rise to power and beyond.

What it's about: Max is a Christian bookshop owner and Hanna a Jewish violinist hoping to join an orchestra. They fall in love right before Hitler comes into power and everything changes. The story follows their relationship during Hitler's rise to power and after when Hanna wakes up in a field without Max and no memory of the past 10 years of her life. When she wakes u
Bkwmlee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, edelweiss
Back in 2017, I had read Jillian Cantor’s The Lost Letter and it quickly became one of my favorite reads that year -- one of the few books that I had actually rated 5 stars due to how much the story had moved me emotionally (plus the book was truly well-written of course). Given how much I liked Cantor’s previous novel, when I heard that she would have a new book coming out this month – another work of historical fiction entitled In Another Time which, similar to her previous novel, is also ...more
Moonkiszt
I love time travel stories. . . so this was something I moved up in my list quickly. . . .however, at the end, I’m not sure it was worth the cuts in line.

I enjoyed the character development, but the back and forthing through time was more a function of 2-dimensional narrative, passing by each other, having a moment – usually sex is involved, and then *poof* off to their corners. That went on for a long time. As we came toward the end I was more attentive, and because multiple romances were invo
Anna
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the moment Max walked into the auditorium and heard Hanna playing the violin, he was infatuated by her. Determined to win her heart, Max persues Hanna until she agrees to to a date. It's the early 1930s in Austria, and Hitler is beginning to rise to power. Max is not Jewish, but Hanna is and though Max worries for her safety as more and more restrictions are placed on those who are Jewish, Hanna is determined to stay and secure a position as a concert violinist. Hanna's sister and her husba ...more
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
Thank you to the publisher for this copy for a review! All opinions are my own! This was a such a great story. It tells about Max and Hanna. As they are torn apart by the circumstances leading up to WW ll . Hanna is Jewish and Max is not, so let that give you a clue. The story switches narration between Max and Hanna over the span of 10 years. There was a beautiful love story, music, mystery, and a TWIST that I absolutely LOVED!! The history in this book was definitely well researched and spot o ...more
Jessica Jeffers
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, fiction
This will undoubtedly appeal to a large number of readers, but it was just so-so for me. I saw every twist coming from a mile away, and I felt like I've read a billion variations on these themes.
Amy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my heart this was a moving book! While it most definitely falls under the umbrella of historical fiction, this is also an epic love story that transcends time and distance and swept me away to a foreign land.

This alternates between Max and Hanna’s perspectives and spans across the years before and after WW2. I was equally drawn to both of their characters but I was head over heels for sweet, dear Max. He captured my heart almost instantly, he’s the type of character that will remain with me f
Chanel Cleeton
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Filled with haunting prose, rich historical detail, and an immersive setting, In Another Time is a spellbinding story about the power of love and the strength of the human spirit. Moving and timely, Cantor’s novel provides an unflinching and nuanced glimpse of life in pre-war Berlin and a stark reminder of the personal cost of war and its aftermath. A stunning, transporting novel.
Yun
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so bitterly disappointed with In Another Time, I'm not sure where to even start. From the book blurb, it's a historical fiction with a little bit of romance and mystery thrown in, which seems interesting enough. But it did nothing for me from pretty much the first page, and it did not get better no matter how much I hung in there and kept reading.

A large part of the problem is that there is so much telling and no showing, which is the biggest sin of writing. For example, Hanna is a violinist
Melissa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read the premise of this novel, I knew it was something I had to read. The story lived up to the synopsis and even exceeded my expectations for how good it would be. It was such an incredible story from start to finish.

I felt so attached to both Hanna and Max from the moment I opened the novel. They are memorable characters whom I still think about. I didn't want the story to end, but I also needed to know what would happen for them. The story was haunting and I wish it had been pub
Susan Peterson
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Another Time is a beautifully written and incredibly moving book. I was completely immersed in the lives of Hanna and Max, a young Jewish violinist and the man she loves who get caught up in the terror that swept through Germany in the 1930’s. Their story is haunting and compelling from beginning to end, transcending time and events that threaten their deep love. This story is unique and original, a seamless meld of historical fiction, romance, and magic.
Sue
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful, well written novel is a look at Berlin before, during and after WWII. I have read many WWII novels and this one looks at the effects of the war on the people of Germany from a completely different perspective. It is well researched and so well written that the words just flow off the page. Even though its a book about war - the main theme is love - love of music, love of family and friends but most importantly the love between two people.

Max meets Hanna in 1931 when he hears her
Betty
Jillian Cantor delivers another beautifully written, emotional story with her latest book IN ANOTHER TIME. Cantor has the ability to take some small detail from the lives of Jews under the reign of Hitler and create a story that tugs at our hearts.

Hanna Ginsberg loves nothing more than playing her violin. The music overtakes her and she plays with passion and fire. One day in 1931 Max Beissinger is drawn to the beautiful music coming from the auditorium on campus at the university in Berlin. He
Tammy
In Another Time is a beautifully written story of love during World War Two but not like any I've ever read before. I was transported back to a time when just surviving was a struggle. I loved the story of Hanna and Max! Jillian Cantor has infused the historical fiction genre with a twist of fresh air. Loved it!!
Julie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need a minute. Review coming shortly.

Ok I’ve collected myself overnight but this love story set in the beginning of Hitler’s rule will probably never leave me. Max is the ultimate romantic and as soon as he spots Hanna he knows he loves her. Hanna is a bit more reserved and takes a little longer to hand her heart over. You see her first and only love for so long has been the violin and she has to figure out how to converge her new love into her life. What are the complications? Hanna is Jewish
Letty
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my. This was so good. The way in which it was written with alternating points of view, Max's from 1931 to right before the beginning of WWII, and Hannah's ten years after, was brilliantly done. I was completely surprised to find out how and why Hannah ended waking up in a field in 1946 and not remembering how she got there or anything from the last ten years. I could feel the deep love Max felt for Hannah, and my heart ached for them both when circumstances just kept tearing them apart. I hav ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Going into this one I guessed it could be sad, and because of that I did not want to put it down. I needed to know what would happen to Max and Hanna!

It starts in 1931 where Max meets Hanna. He is a Christian (even if he does not care about religion), and she is Jewish. But most of all, this is Germany. This is bad and I kept bracing myself.

Because then suddenly it is 1946 and Hanna wakes up without any memories. What happened during the war? Where is Max...WHERE IS MAX!? Did Max get her out?

I d
Anita
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be reading many 5 star books this year. I was once again swept away with Jillian Cantor’s writing. This story had elements I didn’t expect but certainly enjoyed. Hanna is a character that will stay with me for some time. Her love for Max knew no boundaries. Wonderful historical fiction.
Vlorini
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Jillian Cantor for this beautiful and haunting book. I will remember the quote from your Author’s Notes, “No matter what happens in the world, we will still have this beautiful music”.
Good Book Fairy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
4.5
Kate Vocke
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
In the years leading up to World War 2, tension is high and hate is becoming rampant, but in a little town in Germany, two people are falling in love. It’s a tumultuous time, and an equally tumultuous relationship at times, but Hanna - a violinist, and Max - a bookshop owner, seem destined to be together. Spanning countries, against laws, and even defying time.

When these two meet, a German and a Jew, their love grows at the same steady rate as Hitler’s power. Their relationship is tested over an
Miriam
Star-crossed lovers separated by time and WWII, Hanna Ginsberg and Max Beissinger are connected by love and music. The story spans 1930 German through 1950s England and Europe and slowly reveals Max's secret of why his story isn't continuous.

The story holds your attention as you learn what happens to Max and to Hanna and why their love is so strong.

The audio performance was perfect with two narrators, who, while they don't interact, contrast nicely with one another.

For a review of the performan

• Woman 99
  • When We Left Cuba
  • Wunderland
  • Ribbons of Scarlet: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • The Wartime Sisters
  • Lost Roses (Lilac Girls, #2 Prequel)
Jillian Cantor has a BA in English from Penn State University and an MFA from The University of Arizona. She is the USA Today bestselling author of THE LOST LETTER, THE HOURS COUNT, MARGOT, and, most recently, IN ANOTHER TIME, which is a March 2019 Indie Next pick. Her work has been translated into 10 languages, and has been featured as a Library Reads pick, and in People Magazine, O the Oprah Mag ...more
“fear and loneliness and despair.” 0 likes