Start by marking “Grandpa’s Great Escape: Limited Gift Edition of David Walliams’ Bestselling Children’s Book” as Want to Read:

David Walliams' bestselling book Grandpa’s Great Escape has gone FULL COLOUR in a brand-new anniversary edition. This beautiful hardback gift book is the perfect present for children of any age, and contains an introduction from David Walliams himself. Available for a limited time only!

A highly collectable edition for fans old and new.
Published December 6th 2018 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published September 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa’s Great Escape, please sign up.
Tanya Rashid My daughter is 8 and is just reading it by herself.

P-eggy
This is such an old-fashioned book. A small boy hero, authority figures who must be disobeyed by the small boy if he is to triumph, suspension of disbelief (or if you want to be trendy, magical realism), an ugly, wicked adversary who fools everyone except the small boy, and a crowd of minor characters.

Everyone is fed up with Grandpa who is old and forgetful and put him in a home which is designed by the vicar/owner of the home to fleece people of their money. Only his grandson sees past the dem
Michael Finocchiaro
Definitely my favorite Walliams book! Exciting, fun, and truly dreamy for my kids! They will surely be dreaming of Grampa Bunting, oops Wing Commander Bunting, flying high in the sky in his Spitfire tonight! Amazing and beautifully written and illustrated, I cannot say enough to recommend this book to all parents for their kids. Up, up, and AWAY!
Matt Woods
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 4 stars for the message it sends out about elderly people and how they can get ill and children not understanding why. Jack loved his grandfather and watched him get more ill as the story unfolded, however, Jack never let this effect the way he treated his grandfather and only for the love of Jack towards his grandfather, allowed them to endure many adventures together. This made the story have that emotional edge and the reason you want to keep turning the pages.

The story itsel
Lily
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grandpa’s Great Escape is a good book for kids. Grandpa gets put into a high security retirement village, TWILIGHT TOWERS. While Jack plans to free grandpa, this reveals some hidden secrets about twilight towers that only the residents and Jack know about. This book shows thrill and
adventure making you to keep wanting to turn pages.

Grandpa and Jack go on many adventures together, with grandpa thinking that he is still fighting in the war, this leads to adventures in spitfires and close encount
Skip
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Zany and fun. Jack and his parents live in a London suburb in 1983. His grandfather lives on his own in a nearby apartment, but for him, it's still 1940, and he is a vivacious young fighter pilot, flying his Spitfire and battling the Germans. I'm a big fan of WWII aircraft so I liked this aspect, and the only way for Jack to communicate with his grandfather is by calling him "Squadron Commander," whereas Jack is "Wing Leader." Unfortunately, Grandpa's age and dissociation is a real threat, and a ...more
Elizabeth
Another wonderful story. Really enjoyed this one.
Katy Noyes
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Mr Walliams... back on form!

After a few disappointing reads (not just for me, but lots of young library customers), this latest from the comedian sees him back on what he appears to do best - heartfelt family stories, with lots of humour and exciting plots.

My favourites are still Boy in the Dress and Billionaire Boy, but this fits nicely up there with them. And includes a story about a very tough subject for children - the mental deterioration of dementia/Alzheimer's in older people.

This,
Mikayla
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was pretty good and reminds me of Roald Dahls work.
Kristina
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a heartwarming and inspiring story! I loved the focus on the importance of grandparents!
Jim Sanderson
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Sweet and silly - a wonderful book for a child or a child-like adult.
Anna (BooksandBookends)
David Walliams' is back again and he's at his best. This was a heartfelt, emotional read which still managed to maintain Walliams' humour, wit and charm. I've read all of his books now, apart from his latest, and this is easily up there with the best of them. The way the book handles sensitive topics such as mental deterioration of the elderly through Alzheimer's and dementia is also exceptional.

Jack's grandpa is his hero and his daring adventures in the RAF during the war have always been fasci
Stan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book, 2018
This is a fun story and it has a touching ending; not to mention this is a great adventure. There are some good points about what makes life worth living. The best part for me was the idea that society tends discount how much children can understand and that they are capable of thinking through difficult issues and coming up with solutions. We also tend to dismiss older people, not accepting that they might still have something valuable to contribute. It may not be what they contributed during t ...more
Lucija The Reader
Every book by David Walliams that I've read so far is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking. This one has great, interesting characters and an amazing story. I managed to read this book in a day because it is so fun and it is really easy to read.The writing is good. What I liked is how this book had some very good plot twists. David Walliams' books are the kind of books that are meant for children, but are so great that even adults read them. But, I have to say, this one is my least favorite so ...more
Emily
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS BOOK and how I was going to booktalk it and wow it was going to be a great addition to the realistic booktalk for third grade AND THEN THE CHARACTER OF RAJ EXISTED AND HE WAS THE MOST STEREOTYPICAL INDIAN SHOPKEEPER SINCE THE SIMPSONS AND I JUST CAN'T.
Prathibha
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
"This old pilot will always live to fight another day!"
The premise is good but at some point, it just kept on prolonging.
Sashinka
While this is a page-turning adventure and it deals well with a child and his family trying to come to terms with his grandfather's dementia, the stereotypes were just too much for me to consider reading this with my class or putting it into the class library. I've not read any other David Walliams books but I know the boys tend to love them. And I think they would love this too. But the mother is portrayed as nagging, self-absorbed, condescending and too involved with her looks. The church is p ...more
Siva Nachiappan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plot summery: Grandpa's Great escape, by David Walliams;
a long time ago, back in world war 2, jacks grampa was a fighter pilot. But to him, he still is. In his mind, he think they are in the middle of world war two, flighing in his prized spitfire, trying to defeat hitler. He's ill. And Jack needs to face that.
After Grampa starts running away from his apartment at night, Jacks mother and father send him to an old folks home - twighlight towers, run by the evil matron, who has daring plans for al
Yoshi
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about a little boy who has a grandpa who keeps forgetting stuff. It started off as small things like what the date was but, then it started to grow bigger. Before he had this he would tell his grandson about all the daring world war two adventures he had been through. Nowadays he still thinks world war two is going on.
He thinks that his grandson is a squadron leader. One night his grandpa goes missing and his father goes out looking for him. His father cannot find him so Jack and h
Sofia Brito
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book with my son Gabriel who is a very reluctant reader. We both loved it. Such a fun and educational way to teach the calamity of war, Alzheimer and loss to this young generation. The book tells us the story of Jack and his fantastic grandfather who had been a pilot during the World War II, their adventures and how Jack is the only one who can truly believe and understand his granddad.
Liz
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-noah
This was the longest David Walliams book we've read so far. It's really two stories in the one book. We both loved this one. A story told with great empathy and humour. It's taken us quite a while to read it, with reading a few chapters each night but it was really enjoyable throughout.
Sharon
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The way it is written is great. Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.
Claire
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big thumbs up from me and my 8 year old :)
Tea
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh what can I say? about this book...
This Is My favourite David Walliams book. We join Jack a small boy who loves his granddad. And his battle of Britain war stories his RAF granddad is his hero. But granddad is having problems with his memory - Dementia and keeps winding up in trouble. And Jack's parents wants to put him in an home .

This story is so emotional! David did an epic job with it. The ending makes me cry so very much, my Grandma developed Alzheimer's disease (the most common type of d
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on Audiobook with my Nan when she visits as she loves David Walliams and I'm too ill to watch TV with her. She absolutely loved it and was chuckling away the whole way through! The only reason I'm deducting a star is because the audiobook was quite noisey/overwhelming in some parts. I think if David Walliams had been writing books when we were children I might have stood a chance at getting my little brother to read.
16clarkel
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable book as it is funny and fantastical. The book is very much a page turner as you want to know whats going to happen to grandpa and his grandson in the old peoples and how they are going to escape. The ending was very interesting as you wouldnt guess that granpa was going to fly a plane form a museum. I would reccomend this to peoplemas it was very fun and enjoyable fornthe whole family
Irina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's such a wonderful book. Full of adventure and funny moments. Above all else, however, this book is about extraordinary relationship between Jack and his grandfather. Under all the laughs and funny moments this book delivers fundamentally crucial message: old age doesn't mean dead and there's nothing more important than bond between family.
Niharika
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exiting and adventurous!
There were three parts. My favorite part was
Part 2 when grandpa and Jack planned a escape from twilight
Towers and the evil mrs. Swine because, there were lots of challenges they had to face and were exiting.
Милена
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book written by this author, great choice for reading! I will read all the rest for sure! I understand now why they compare him with my fav Dahl... Well done!
Bee
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the storyline and beautifully written to capture the young reader. Hilarious, funny. What can I say. I can see why my son is a fan.
Holly
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely amazing!!!! It has got to be up there in the list of my favourite books. It was tense and very funny. I couldn't put it down and I could honestly read it over and over again without getting bored. I definitely recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Dumbness is a Dish Best Served Cold (Dear Dumb Diary: Deluxe)
  • Life of Zarf: The Trouble with Weasels
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • The Loch Ness Punster (43 Old Cemetery Road, #7)
  • Snoring Beauty
  • My Life in Pictures
  • Tacky's Christmas
  • The Bolds
  • Mustache!
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Monster Needs Your Vote
  • If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur
  • The 13th Horseman
  • Graveyard Shakes
  • Kinderjaren
  • Catherine Certitude
  • Mutant Bunny Island
  • Julius Zebra: Rumble with the Romans!
David Walliams is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.
“In his dreams he would be a hero. In his life he felt like a zero.” 6 likes
“At London Zoo, a girl leaped over the wall at the penguin enclosure. She thought that by tugging her pullover over her head, waddling and catching a fish in her mouth she could pass herself off as a penguin.” 0 likes