Start by marking “Monash's Masterpiece: The battle of Le Hamel and the 93 minutes that changed the world” as Want to Read:

The Battle of Le Hamel on 4 July 1918 was an Allied triumph, and strategically very important in the closing stages of WWI. A largely Australian force, commanded by the brilliant Sir John Monash, fought what has been described as the first modern battle - where infantry, tanks, artillery and planes operated together as a coordinated force.

Monash planned every detail meticu

Published April 24th 2018 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about Monash's Masterpiece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monash's Masterpiece

Betsy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I am really ambivalent about this book because it has some fine qualities, but it also has some aspects that I don't particularly like. First of all, it is a paean to John Monash. Since I admire the man that didn't bother me a great deal, but I wish the author had toned it down somewhat. Monash did enough for his record to stand on its own, but I think the author tried to over-compensate for the slights that Monash faced in his life.

Some officers and in particular two civilians, Murdoch and Bean
David Wasley
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prior to reading this book, all I knew of Sir John Monash was that his portrait is on the $A100 note. Monash distinguished himself from most other military leaders of WW1 through his coordinated deployment of artillery, tanks, planes and infantry. His impressive record, particularly the victory at Le Hamel, survives the author's annoying interjections of made-up Aussie slang.
Longzhen
We're in the second day of Amazon's big Prime Day sale, and new deals continue to pop up on an assortment of video games and hardware.
Dennis Rutzou
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't give a book 5 out of 5 lightly, but this is Peter Fitzsimons at his very, very best. The book brings the battle alive and highlights the genius of Monash. I strongly support the move for him to be posthumously elevated to the rank of Field Marshall, which is currently blocked by the regular Australian military which still can't forgive Monash for being a citizen soldier and a Jew. The book highlights the immense planning detail that went into the preparation for the battle and brings the ...more
Ron Brown
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another book in my World War 1 library. Sir John Monash was a Jew with a German heritage. He was also a civilian soldier and these factors worked against him in his rise through the ranks of the Australian army in Europe 1915 to 1918. He was especially subjected to vilification by Murdoch and Bean. Yet he rose to be one of the most outstanding military leaders on the Western Front.
The book is a vivid and intricate account of the July 1918 Battle of Le Hamel where Monash’s meticulous planning and
Graeme Anderson
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of the author's style which I find to be a little overbearing and jingoistic when it comes to retelling history.

Firstly whilst I understand the author's intent of writing the book in the present tense, his style (and in particular the overuse of independent clauses) as well as the need to write the original German text and then translate it in penny packets detracts from the flow and is incredibly annoying. Similarly, the use of idiomatic language and the parochial manner of retel
Andrew
BRILLIANT! Yet again, Peter FitzSimons shines a much-needed light on a crucial Australian campaign (and victory) late in the First World War, giving Sir John Monash the showcase he deserves. Well researched and written with FitzSimons' usual flair. If you are interested in Australia's Great War effort, this is a must-read.
Andrew
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another engaging, real life story of an important battle in Australia's history told in Fitzsimons' true blue Aussie voice covering a range of interesting aspects to how Monash achieved a great victory.
Vaughan
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, as always. I don't rate Peter FitzSimons as a man, but he sure can write. Another great tale of a mostly forgotten battle that completely changed the course of the Great War. Thoroughly enjoyed this, as I do with most books about the Great War.
Dan Mowbray
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have always loved FitzSimmons writing and this book is no different. Love the way he writes to make history engaging and enjoyable to read. He is always well researched and his narrative style is a pleasure to read
Jennifer Smart
In terms of the history, this book was fascinating, but FitzSimons' over the top, Aussie bloke style was incredibly intrusive.
Warwick
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good account of the battle of Le Hamel and how it changed the nature of warfare. Also describes how important Monash and the Australian's role was in turning the war.
Phillip
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insight into an amazing man. Shame about the way he was treated on his return home.
Nick Cook
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about an extraordinary military genius. 4/5
Wayne's
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Peter FitzSimons books. he blends history with great story telling in an engrossing and entertaining way. A good book and an informative one.
T. Stranger
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, horrifying, inspiring, humbling.
Glenn
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a great read. Well told account, that has lots of interesting information. Highly recommended
Belinda
Finally finished, this book took me so long to read, was a hard slog. Yes it was very interesting but for some reason I just couldnt get into it as a page turner.
Drew Stevenson
Jul 14, 2019
Glenn
Jun 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Peter FitzSimons is one of Australia’s most prominent and successful media and publishing identities. His busy professional life involves co-hosting the breakfast program on Sydney's Radio 2UE, writing weekly columns for the Sydney Morning Herald and Sun Herald newspapers, appearing on Foxtel's Back Page television show and, when time permits, authoring best-selling books. A correspondent for Lond ...more