Start by marking “The Taking of Jake Livingston” as Want to Read:
The Taking of Jake Livingston

The Taking of Jake Livingston

Get Out meets Danielle Vega in this YA social thriller where survival is not a guarantee.

Jake Livingston is one of the only black kids at St. Clair Prep, one of the others being his infinitely more popular older brother. It’s hard enough fitting in but to make matters worse and definitely more complicated, Jake can see the dead. In fact he sees the dead around him all the
Expected publication: July 13th 2021 by Putnam

Start your review of The Taking of Jake Livingston
myo (myonna reads)
this book was short but very good with the pacing, i enjoyed how it dealt with black queer trauma and microaggressions when it comes to going to predominantly white schools. can’t wait to see what the author writes next.
The Artisan Geek
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
27/11/19
I am always up for horror! Especially when it's black literature! I need it NOW.
Also, the only black kid at a prep school? This book is basically me, but without the ghost LMAO! :)

You can find me on
rin
Mar 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
this sounds cool??
tessie
ok so there are some books which are just very hard to review and i think this is one of them, so i’m not even going to try (for now, at least)

so instead, some thoughts i had while reading:

•one of my only reasons for not giving it five stars is that i found the writing hard to visualise at some points - maybe this is because i haven’t read that many horror novels, so i would say this was very much a me issue - i did LOVE the writing though

•relating to this, and this is kind of random, but a co
Gina Adams
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Thanks to the publisher and edelweiss for an early copy!!

I’m heartbreakingly unimpressed with this story. Let me begin by saying I’m forever grateful for the recent uptick in stories about Black boys, especially Black queer boys, just being boys. The heavy racism topic stories need to be told, of course, but so do Black stories of all genres and characters.

Unfortunately, this book just wasn’t good. It’s about Jake Livingston, who can see ghosts. The ghost of a local school shooter, Sawyer Doon
Mari
Feb 23, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbt-tbr
Again. No, I DON'T LIKE HORROR.

Except when it's queer, it seems, because I have been pretending I don't want to read this for like two months because wanting to read horror is unexplored territory and it scares me.

h o l l i s
Hm. I'm leaving this unrated for now (for good?) because my thoughts are kind of all over the place.

I honestly think this would make a great movie because the atmosphere and the ambience, though hella confusing, still did a great job at creeping me out. Some of the visuals were, again, sometimes confusing but somehow still managed to be translated into my brain. But so much of this needs more. Yes, the story is short, so I guess a lot of this surface level non-explanation could be blamed on tha
jocelyn
Dec 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
have i stopped thinking about this cover since it was revealed?
no. thank you for asking.
Sapphic Shelves
Feb 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
me, banging pots and pans together: CAN THIS BOOK BE RELEASED ALREADY?!
Starr ❇✌❇
Can I just say how PUMPED I am I snagged an arc of this!
Gobuaz7
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Personally, I think it's a book that we should all read. ...more
sarah
Jan 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-read
3.5 super cute and very real I just didn't love the ghost stuff because they were a bit confusing ...more
Annie
Dec 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
American Horror Story WHO?? (but seriously I'm watching that show now and it's great, and this book also sounds great) ...more
Gretal
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was really short but nevertheless packed quite the punch. I loved the writing style, the characters, the plot. And I look forward to seeing what Ryan Douglass writes next.
Haley
Feb 19, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• We Are Not Free
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Vicious Spirits (Gumiho, #2)
  • Black Girl Unlimited
  • Una Historia de Ayer
  • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
  • The Holdout
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • Full Disclosure
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • The Henna Wars
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Things in Jars
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • A Good Neighborhood
Ryan Douglass was born and raised in Atlanta, where he currently resides, cooking pasta and playing records. He enjoys wood wick candles, falling asleep on airplanes, and advocating for stronger media representation for queer Black people.

Follow him on Twitter: @ryandouglassw

Articles featuring this book

If you like books about queer kids falling in love and having adventures, you're in for quite the treat this month. June brings a great...