Start by marking “Hurricane Season” as Want to Read:
Hurricane Season

Hurricane Season

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  2,126 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews
Betsy and Ty Franklin, owners of Franklin Dairy Farm in southern Alabama, have decided to put life’s disappointments behind them. At least in theory. Ty manages their herd of dairy cows, while Betsy busies herself with the farm’s day-to-day operations and tries to forget the longing for motherhood set deep in her heart. But when Betsy’s free-spirited younger sister Jenna d ...more
Published April 3rd 2018 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane Season

Debra
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Marriage. Sibling Relationships. Motherhood.

Jenna and Betsy are sisters who took different paths in life. Betsy is married to Ty and lives on their farm in Alabama. Betsy, who longs for a child of her own, keeps busy on the farm hosting local school students on field trips to learn about farming and animals. Jenna is the free spirit and single mother of two young girls. She works in a coffee shop but yearns to be a photographer professionally.

Jenna leaves her children with her sister Betsy afte
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 “the storm is coming” stars to Hurricane Season! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Lauren Denton’s sophomore novel, Hurricane Season, is told in three alternating voices: Jenna, the younger, flighty sister and single mother; Ty, the rugged dairy farmer and husband; and Betsy, the older, responsible sister to Jenna and wife to Ty.

Jenna is a budding artist-slash-coffee barista manager, and the opportunity of a lifetime comes her way one summer. The problem is, who will take care of her kids while she pursues it?

Betsy a
Sarah Joint
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whenever Lauren K. Denton puts out another book, I'm there. I find her books to be great comfort reads, the kind of book you can relax into. They are strikingly atmospheric, she has a gift for making you feel like you're right there with the characters. In this book, we are both on a secluded artist's retreat with a single mother who is a budding photographer, and on a dairy farm with a husband and wife who clearly love each other but have let their difficulties conceiving come between them. The ...more
Marialyce
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
3 pleasant stars

Sometimes you just have to read a book where there is no murder, no lying, no mayhem, and no death and this was just such a book.

A storm is approaching and it looks to be a bad one, a hurricane in fact. Things will be lost, possessions, homes, and maybe even lives. It is surely the time to remember what is important and what one can bring forward in their lives.

Betsy Franklin and her sister, Jenna have had a bit of a distant relationship. Jenna is a single mother of two young gi
Monica
For me, this book was a bit of a struggle. The writing is well done and the plot is solid. I just didn't feel much of a connection to the characters and the pace was slow. I kept anticipating a big reveal or tragedy or transformation... There was growth within our main characters: two sisters who had grown apart through their adult years. The emotional distance between them was only compounded by the literal physical distance in miles as they lead extremely different lives.

So if you are looking
Kendall
Hurricane Season by Lauren K. Denton was a bit of a difficult read for me.

I found the pacing to be extremely slow and I felt like there wasn't much happening throughout the majority of the novel. I was left with wanting more from our two main characters and it just fell pretty flat for me.

The writing is beautiful and complex but I found myself skimming through a lot of the story because it just felt pretty boring to me. I was waiting for that big change or transformation between our sisters Be
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

… the battered gray school bus from Bankston Detention pulled up out front, and twenty teenage boys shuffled off, hormones and pent-up energy swirling around them like almost visible steam.

She smoothed her hands across the blanket, straightened the corners, and imagined the room holding two little girls after holding nothing but dreams and damaged furniture.

Jenna always hated icebreakers like this. They reminded her of the week in college when she lost her mind and thought she mi
Shalini
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storms have this beautiful dual quality, they bring about destruction and they also show the strength in all those who weather them. So also are the storms of life, they change life drastically, but sometimes they also pave the way to start life afresh.
Hurricane Season by Lauren Denton is one such book which shows strength of family relationships in the face of storms of life. Two sisters, Betsy and Jenna both different in their outlook, but yet similar in many ways, Betsy who is childless, is a
Kate Olson
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I adored this book.
It's such a richly layered, but soft, story of family with an amazing sense of place. Denton brings the Gulf Coast region of Alabama to vivid life in this book ~ an area I definitely have a soft spot for. Betsy and Ty's marriage and life on their Alabama dairy farm, along with their struggle to conceive, are given such tender treatment that even though nothing about their life is easy, it made me instantly want to be THERE. In their house, on their farm, in their fam
Sherri Thacker
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is my 2nd book by Lauren Denton (The Hideaway) which I absolutely loved. This one was just ok. It was slow moving and I felt myself skimming parts of the story. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Madison
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Storms can bring great destruction, but they can also bring a time for discovering what lasts, what holds together even through the harshest weather, and what comes out better for the rain. Hurricane Season is a book truly evocative of Southern summer and which captures the complications of family relationships, the desire to see dreams fulfilled, and the trials that test marriages and break hearts.

When Betsy receives a voice message from her sister, Jenna, asking if she can leave her
Laura Rash
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Denton has done it again! She manages to immerse you in a family, a lifestyle, a storm & life changing events and make it all so descriptive you become absorbed immediately. The characters are so relatable & the storm adds a bit of an excited frenzy. And it also happens to have a beautiful cover that you can’t stop looking at!
Thanks to LD for this early signed copy:)
Yvonne
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betsy and Ty Franklin do not have children of their own, although they desperately want them. For now, they devote their time to their farm. They are more than a little stunned when Betsy’s sister Jenna drops her two daughters at their farm. Jenna receives a great career opportunity, but it means she has to be away from her children for a little while. Unfortunately, for Betsy, it re-awakens her desire for children of her own.

Jenna’s plans take longer than she expected when her career takes her
Jenea Whittington
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hurricane Season is a story that centers around two sisters and their struggles from motherhood, marriage and a sisters bond.

Betsy is the oldest of the sisters, she is married to a great man named Ty, and they spend their days working together on their dairy farm. Even through all their business, they have wanted children, but with all the tests and treatments, hasn’t brought them a baby. Over time, it has put a strain on their marriage, and they just walk through each day in a fog. Jenna is the
Catherine
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's true what they say. There's no place like home. And reading a Lauren Denton book feels like coming home. With characters you'll want as friends, a setting you can step into, and a poignant story of sisters and family ties and all the messiness of a wonderful life, Denton has penned another tale that will settle in deep and stay awhile, long after the last page is turned.
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hurricane Season by Lauren Denton is stunning! Slowing moving at first, but Ms. Denton was setting up the backstory for us. Told from several points of view, we get to read and feel the emotions of Jenna, Ty and Besty. When it comes to character plot and characters, I related to Ty and Betsy, especially as they learn to communicate as a couple about things that are hard within marriage and children. While they experience heartache and sadness, I found them to be a relief in a good way.
The story
Natalie [genreneutralreader]
Thank you #NetGalley , #LaurenKDenton , and #ThomasNelson for providing an advanced reader ecopy of The Hurricane Season.

It is a simple, sweet, Southern novel about sisters, family, losing one’s dreams, and opening the heart to new paths.

The first half of the book had some moments that made me really uncomfortably judgemental of both sisters’ behavior (Jenna and Betsy). By the second half I was pretty sympathetic to Betsy’s inner turmoil as it is easily relatable by many women. I never could fu
Amy
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this story from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was drawn in first, as one so often is, by the cover. It's so pretty and warm and welcoming!

In the beginning, I was a bit reluctant. I don't know anything about dairy farming or being a mom (or a single mom) or having a good relationship with a sibling. I kept thinking, "How am I going to relate to this? How am I going to enjoy it?"

But enjoy it I did.

The chapters are told from three different points of view: Betsy,
Anne
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is SUCH a brilliant book, and on so many levels. I have to preface my review with this: the last time I read a 400 page book in ONE day was.... never! But right from page one, I was drawn in and in and in to the story of these two sisters who on the surface are so different, but under the surface they hold a loving history and bond. The first level of this book is beautifully written- believable characters whom I cared about from the beginning and whose needs and desires on so many levels k ...more
MaryAnn
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful cover that I was drawn to this book on Netgalley almost despite myself. I read the synopsis and it sounded good so off I went!

The story of Betsy and Ty being asked to take Jenna's children while she went off to a photography retreat is an age old one in some ways. Many times there's a more responsible sibling that is left to clean up behind the less responsible one. That's what happened in the past and what Betsy and Ty are expecting to happen here.

The dairy farm and the descrip
Deanna Sletten
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two sisters. Betsy wishes she had what here sister has. Jenna isn’t sure she’s happy with what life has handed her. When an opportunity arises for Jenna to follow her dream – at least for two weeks – Betsy steps in to care for Jenna’s two daughters. And as a hurricane brews, so do the sisters’ emotions, both reexamining what it is they want out of life.

Hurricane Season explores the complicated relationship of sisters and family. Each sister has problems she has to deal with in their own lives, p
Sandy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Denton is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. The story of two sisters, so different and with such different hopes and dreams, finding who they really are. The story had me almost wishing things took a different turn, but the ending turned out better than expected. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Ella Olsen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two sisters who are complete opposites. One is responsible, one free-spirited. One can't have children and desperately wants them, one who has two girls she didn't really plan for. The free-spirited (and somewhat irresponsible) sister takes off for a photography camp leaving her children with the childless sister. And the week stretches to months. Who deserves the adorable little girls now? A hurricane approaches threatening their lives and the relationship between sisters is nearly blown apart. ...more
Danielle
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded up

I fell completely in love with this author when I read her first book, The Hideaway, earlier this year. I was absolutely thrilled to have the chance to read an early copy of her newest offering, Hurricane Season, and I was NOT disappointed. I devoured this book in the span of a Sunday and I already miss the characters.

The only reason this was not a solid 5 star book for me is that it took a bit for me to really connect with the characters and become invested in them. Once I d
Rebecca
Christine Moore
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a story of two sisters and their lives. Betsy lives with her husband on a dairy farm. Jenna is the single mom to two little girls. Each sister's life has its on set of problems. I really liked Betsy. I loved her relationship with her husband as the book went along. This was a great story of family, love, and learning what is important. I received an advanced readers copy of the book from NetGalley and Thomas Nelson. All opinions are my own.
Kristen Swanson
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Thank you NetGalley and Lauren Denton for allowing me to enjoy this arc.*

I enjoyed learning more about Betsy and Jenna’s relationship and Ty and Betsy’s struggles as well. It built up as the storm did and the characters learned a lot about each other and themselves as the novel progressed. Really enjoyable read- just like The Hideaway was. Denton has a delicate way of presenting her characters and enabling you to fall in love with them.
Sue
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern-fiction
I enjoyed Lauren Denton's debut novel, The Hideaway, and had high hopes for her second novel. I wasn't disappointed. This was a well written novel that kept me turning the pages. It was all about love and family and relationships -not just the relationship between husband and wife but also between sisters who are very different from each other.

Betsy and Ty own a dairy farm in southern Alabama. They both work hard to keep the farm running and secure their future. The one part of their lives that
Kelly Bridgewater
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and enjoyed Lauren Denton's debut novel The Hideaway. It was a neat Women's Fiction novel with rich characterization and an unique setting. So I knew what I was getting into when reading her second book, Hurricane Season. A southern setting with interesting characters is what I expected from Denton, and she delivered.

The writing was clear and concise. I had no problem visualizing the setting and watching Betsy and Ty interact with each other and the little girls on their farm. The farm ca
Kav
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An emotionally-charged, character-driven glimpse into the complicated dynamics of sisterly love. Denton's voice is rich and sweet and carefully measured. Her words flow so beautifully that it's easy to become immersed in the story with all your senses. I think I might have even come away from this read sporting a southern drawl! If this is what Southern Fiction is like, I want more of it!

This is family at it's best...and worst...as past collides with present and futures hang in the balance. Sist
Born and raised in Mobile, Alabama, Lauren now lives with her husband and two young daughters in Homewood, just outside Birmingham. In addition to her fiction, she writes a monthly newspaper column about life, faith, and how funny (and hard) it is to be a parent. On any given day, she’d rather be at the beach with her family and a stack of books. The Hideaway is her first novel.

I'd love to connec