Start by marking “I Invited Her In” as Want to Read:
I Invited Her In

I Invited Her In

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  8,026 ratings  ·  1,110 reviews

A gripping story of friendship and betrayal from international best-selling author Adele Parks

‘I invited her in… and she took everything.’

When Mel hears from a long-lost friend in need of help, she doesn’t hesitate to invite her to stay. Mel and Abi were best friends back in the day, sharing the highs and lows of student life, until Mel’s unplanned pregnancy made

Published September 20th 2018 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about I Invited Her In, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Morgan Lee
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,026 ratings  ·  1,110 reviews

Start your review of I Invited Her In
Dita
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Dita by: Jayme
Shelves: scribd, audiobook
As Ashley from My 600 Pound Life recently said, "Quitting is not in my "vocabluary" but this has gots to go."

Joanne Frogatt's narration is brill though!!
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I had this novel on my list of upcoming books that I really wanted to read so when I won a copy through Goodreads, I was excited.

Imagine the worst thing a friend could ever do”

“This is worse”

Those two lines had me quite intrigued!

Mel is a happily married mother of three. Before she met her husband Ben, it was just her and her son, Liam against the world. Then she married Ben and they had two children together.

One d
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 stars! I LOVED this book!

Mel and Abi were best friends in university until Mel dropped out due to an unplanned pregnancy, ending their inseparable friendship and all communication between the girls. Seventeen years later, Abi, now a well-known TV personality, shows up on Mel’s doorstep seeking friendship and support after leaving her wealthy and powerful husband. Mel invites Abi to stay in her family home as long as she needs.

This is a tale of love, loyalty, family, revenge, secrets and lies.
Kendall
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmm well... where do I start with I Invited Her In?

With having read MANY thrillers.... it takes a lot to impress this girl right here :). I have read some amazing thrillers this genre but unfortunately this one fell super flat for me.

The premise sounded promising with inviting a long lost girlfriend into your home and her taking everything. But, I was hoping that the author would take a fun spin with this on that tagline. In my opinion, these stories have to have twists, edginess, and keeping
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Revenge doesn’t have an expiration date. ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Abi and Mel were the best of friends years ago, in school together, and completely inseparable until Mel got pregnant and dropped out.

It’s now over 15 years later, and the pair are living vastly different lives when they reconnect. Mel is happily married to Ben, and they have two more children together.

Abi, on the other hand, had been living in LA with her high profile long-term boyfriend only to find out he had been cheating on her all this
Berit☀️✨
A dark domestic thriller packed with madness and manipulation!

I invited her in... and she took everything...

This was a brilliantly crafted character study! Adele Parks has skillfully constructed A story about the ultimate betrayal. This is not a story full of twists and turns nor is it supposed to be. It is a story about master manipulation and the motivations behind it. A Book about one woman’s rage and need for revenge and the destruction she leaves in her wake.

Melanie and Abi were the best
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
A story of manipulation, jealously and payback! After 17 long years Abi contacts her friend from college Melanie in hopes of catching up. Abi has been living a life of glamour and luxury in the states and wants to come back to Melanie's small town and visit. Being the good host that she is, Melanie and her family invite Abi into their home with open arms. The problem is now how do they get her to leave?

The family is thrown into a state of disorganization as Abi's arrival seems to captivate and m
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
They lost touch, she invited her in, shows off her perfect life and she wreaks chaos on their lives.

I Invite Her In is a chilling, twisty emotionally dark story that explores love, betrayal and the illusion and jealousy of happiness. The story starts off a bit slow as we get to know our main characters friends from the past Melanie and Abi as they do some female bonding. They now live very different lives and when successful Abi’s life is turned upside down she reaches out to Melanie and she in
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Some people whispered that she was pretentious; they resented the fact that she only enjoyed listening to music on vinyl and was fussy about the strength of coffee beans; she refused to drink beer, sticking exclusively to French red wine; she rarely ate. She was, by far, the most interesting person I’d ever met.

“You’ll still get the fairy tale,” Abi said with her usual cool confidence. “I mean Snow White had seven little fellas hanging off her apron and she still netted a prince.
Jayme
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
3.75 rounded up!

So many mixed reviews for this domestic suspense novel, and I know I am “late to the party”! 🥳

But, I wanted to try Audible, and since I love Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey) and she is the narrator, I selected this as one of my two books on my 30 day trial..

Of course, I immediately pictured JoAnne Froggatt, as our main protagonist MEL, loving wife and Mum. She was a character I could see being friends with...very real...very relatable.

The writing is deliciously descriptive!

MEL
Selena
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of I Invited Her In by Adele Parks from NetGalley for my honest review.

Mel and Abi are best friends that share everything. Mel ends up getting pregnant from a one night stand and then everything changes. Mel drops out of school and then Mel and Abi drift apart, living very different lives.

Seventeen years later. Mel is married to Ben and has a wonderful son (Liam) and two beautiful girls (Abi and Imogen). Abi is married to Rob and they have everything they can dream of,
Whispering Stories
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Nia on www.whisperingstories.com

I don’t think I’ve ever read this kind of thriller before – it’s more psychological and suspenseful than I expected, rather than the dark and gory thrillers I usually read.

The story takes place when an old university friend, Abi, moves in to stay with Mel and her family after a divorce, the perspectives alternate between the different characters so we get a wider view of the situation.

Both Mel and Abi are unreliable narrators, neither revealing mu
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I Invited Her In is just not quite there as a novel. It wants to be a psychological thriller, but neither the psychological nor the thriller aspects work. It also wants to be a women's fiction novel, with insights into family, single motherhood, and friendships. The family stuff is beyond obvious, the single motherhood aspects feel like they are from the 1960s or something when it comes to the "shaming" one of the MC's goes through, and sure, every friendship is complicated, but when your "frien ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
British novelist Adele Parks, is the author of almost twenty titles. Her latest is a domestic thriller, titled I Invited Her In. It is a tale of the difficulties of female friendship, envy, revenge and explosive secrets. This was a tantalising read, that I devoured in a short space of time, despite the fact that the book was almost 500 pages!

It is hard to visualise the worst possible thing a friend could do. There are a few options that come to mind, but the
Lucie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ugh. I hate doing this. This one was just okay for me. I almost dnf it, but I really, really try not to do that. If at all possible, I want to persevere and see stories through.

I have read several books where the first 99% of the story was amazing, and the last 1% was a let-down. This one was completely flipped for me.

Over and over in this one, the reader is told something in a obvious attempt to set up what will hopefully be a big shock when they eventually discover it's not true. But the way t
Helen Power
I invited her in... and she took everything...
Synopsis
Melanie hasn’t heard from her college best friend, Abigail, in over twenty years. But when Abigail calls her up to ask for a place to stay as she divorces her cheating husband, Melanie is thrilled.  She invites her in with open arms, which--as you can probably tell from the book’s title and its assigned genre of “domestic suspense”--isn’t a good thing...

Plot
I was surprised by how slow this book started. I’m used to psychological and domestic
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Suddenly I have a better idea. Or, is it a worse one?

I could invite Abi to come and see me here in Wolvney. That way she'd meet the kids and Ben. I've never had the urge for her to meet my family before, quite the opposite, but now she's made this move, and under these circumstances, it seems the right thing to do.

She probably won't accept anyway. I can't imagine her coming all this way out of London. Not that it's far, but there are certain types that think anywhere out of zone three
Ova - Excuse My Reading
This was an okay read. The plot isn't bad. But I really disliked the flat, pathetic, cliche characters. Also the tension on the psychological side unfortunately falls short to impress.

Lou
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a twisted, domestic noir all about friendship and betrayal, jealousy and revenge and wanting what you can't have. Unfortunately, it wasn't a book I cared much for, and I wasn't engaged enough to bother what happened to any of the characters. That said, I always try to read to end of each book, and this honestly wasn't bad enough to DNF it, so I continued despite not enjoying it. It's well written, i'll give it that, but the story was one i've read a gazillion times over using well worn ...more
Bren
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, fans of Domestic Mysteries, fans of friendship gone wrong books.
"Imagine the worst thing a friend could ever do. This is worse".

I Invited Her In by Adele Parks.

Oh My.

This book started with my own impatience. "Get on with it" I kept thinking. And then.."this is not going to be good" was my thought.

Oh how wrong I was!

So..calling all domestic thriller fans. You will want to put this one on your list. A word of warning. It starts off slow. There are many small things that are given much detail and it was slow for me to connect with the book.

I say..bide your t
Tasha Mahoney
This book was a hard one to review because there were some things, the plot for example, that were brilliant. The story was well conceived and could have been great.

The stumbling block for me was the way the story was told. It could have been shorter because it felt like a lot of the writing was 'fleshing out' rather than relevant content.

This was one book that for me had a fabulous synopsis and story plan but the actual execution missed the mark for me.

If you are going to do a trope in the sus
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

E-mailing a long-lost friend about getting together seemed like the right thing to do, and Abi knew Mel wouldn’t resist her plea about needing her.

Abi e-mailed Mel with her story of how her husband had cheated on her and how she wanted to re-connect.

When Abi arrived, it seemed she had more on her agenda than getting re-connected with Mel. I actually sensed the true evilness of her plan. She definitely was an excellent actress.

Abbi kept up her plan since it was working and didn’t seem to want to
Dee
Oct 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is blatantly obvious what is going on within the first few chapters of this book, but it goes on and on and on with tedious padding in an attempt to drag out the non-existent tension. Terrible story, terrible characters, terribly written. Avoid.
Amy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
I think at some point or another we can all relate to wanting to get revenge on someone for a perceived wrong and at its core this book is about revenge with a side of manipulation and obsession which are things I LOVE in a thriller. This was a page turner and a slow unraveling of a methodical plan that will have life altering consequences in the end.

Family dynamics fascinate me and when Mel answers an email from her old friend, Abi inviting her to stay with her and her family for awhile she ne
Mandy White
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Loved loved loved Joanne Froggatt as the narrator. The story... meh... I found it predictable and a bit long. Heard such good things about it but I was disappointed
Adele Shea
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!!! What a book!!!! This is definitely a must read.

Abi calls upon her university friend Mel for help after finding her husband in bed with another woman. She packs up and flies from her home in LA to Mel's home in England.
Mel has the most happiest of families. That is until Abi steps into their home and blows the lives apart.
DeAnn
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
4 revenge is sweet stars

Who doesn’t have an old friend that they’d love to catch up with today? Especially a glamorous, now famous friend? Melanie hears from an old college friend and jumps at the chance to help her out, inviting Abi to come to stay with her and put her life back together after discovering her husband’s infidelity.

Melanie has a full family life with an older son and two younger girls with her husband Ben. Abi and Mel reconnect, share stories, and stay out late drinking. After we
Tina
3.5 *

I won this on a First Reads Giveaway and I'd like to thank Goodreads and Mira Books Publishing for the opportunity to read this Advanced Reader Copy.

I've never read an Adele Parks book before but I know she's a renowned and favourite author of many. I liked the premise of the story and immediately enjoyed the writing.

For the most part I did enjoy the story although about halfway in it began to lag. I don't feel this was a typical psychological thriller although it had the chance to be. It
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I was pretty unimpressed with this book... Nothing happened the first 200 pages of the book, the nice MC (Mel) was so annoying and weak and pathetic, I just could not relate to her or root for her. Her "best friend" Abi was such a cliche that I couldn't even like her as a villain.

The book was entirely too long, and just too basic.
Ova - Excuse My Reading
This was an okay read. The plot isn't bad. But I really disliked the flat, cliche characters. Also the tension on the psychological side unfortunately falls short to impress.

There are a few things in the book that made me roll my eyes, and one is the single mum reflection by Mel. First of all: come on Adele Parks. It's year 2018 and no one blames single mums, and excludes them from playgroups. I have raised one son here in the UK and always had single mums in playgroups and never seen any discri

• The Perfect Girlfriend
  • The Nanny
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The First Mistake
  • The Dead Ex
Adele Parks was born in Teesside, NE England. She studied English Language and Literature, at Leicester University. She published her first novel, Playing Away, in 2000; that year the Evening Standard identified Adele as one of London’s ‘Twenty Faces to Watch.’ Indeed Playing Away was the debut bestseller of 2000.
Prolific, Adele has published nine novels in nine years, including Game Over, Tell Me