Start by marking “The Wrong Way Home” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Way Home

The Wrong Way Home

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  695 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When Peter Moore announced he was going to travel from London to his home in Sydney without boarding an aeroplane he was met with a resounding Why? The answer was perversity and a severe case of hippie envy - hippies had the best music, they had the best drugs, they had the best sex. But most of all, they had the best trips. Over the eight months (and twenty-five countries ...more
Published April 22nd 2005 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Way Home

RavenclawReadingRoom
An entertaining but now very dated book. In 1994, the author decided to see if it was still possible to do what so many Australians had dome in the 1960s and 1970s - return home "the long way", travelling through Europe, the Middle East, the subcontinent and Asia before crossing the great emptiness that is Australia to reach the more populated south east. And he's going to do it on a budget of $5,000.

Personally, I can think of very little less appealing than living out of a backpack for six str
James Cridland
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Don't buy this because it might be a Bill Bryson... because it's not. Bryson does a good book, with his astute descriptions of people he meets, and places he sees. This gives good descriptions of places that he sees, but there's virtually no people involved. Which is a shame, because if this self-styled hippie actually bothered to speak to other people, it would be quite a good book. But, sadly, it's not - not a bad book, but not the most entertaining; and no, not the funniest either.
Vikas Datta
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an entertaining journey in which Mr Moore seemed to have fulfilled his ambition to retrace the hippy trail - filled with uproarious encounters specially that English teacher on the way to Prague and on the China-Laotian border and also some quite poignant ones like those in Bosnia....
Tim
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book that combines travel writing with dry humor, than look no further than the work of this Aussie backpacker. I came across his name while traveling myself - I asked one of my fellow travelers if she could recommend a funny travel writer, and she suggested Moore. In this book the author sets off from London at some point in the late 1990s, determined to get home to Sydney by an overland route and without getting on a plane. He has an interest in checking out the old hi ...more
Jen
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it
EAsy introduction to travel books. You can stop and start at each chapter - as I did skipping over some of the journey through countries that didn't interest me. Amusing but not laugh out loud. good observations. A little disappointed he didn't get to into some more debunking of myths and misconceptions through the middle eAst. And shame he didn't get to chat to many women because they seemed pretty unrepresented except as fellow tourists. Light reading bound to encourage you to want to travel a ...more
Cheryl
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm making my way through Peter Moore's collection of travel writing, as this is the kind of light reading that I can pick up put down and pick up again that is perfect for me while I am traveling. Though I think my appreciation for this book may have suffered a bit by the fact that I read it immediately after Kremmer's Carpet Wars (a fantastic and enlightening book about traveling in the near-East), as both books are travel memoir-style writing and pass through some of the same geographic areas ...more
Akshata
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Hilarious read about Peter Moore's adventures when he travels overland from London To Sydney. His adventurous, hilarious and poignant moments (and the drab ones as well, which are more common during travel than travel writers make them out to be!) are all painted vividly in words, and I felt like I was right there on the grubby bus with him. True essence of travel writing. When wanderlust hits and I need a spot of arm-chair travel, I might just reach out for this one again!
Nomadesse
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
It's been a while that I've laughed out loud so many times while reading a book. Peter Moore has a brilliant sense of humour and it was bittersweet to reach the end of the journey with him. This book will have you yearning and dreaming to experience adventures. What shone through, was Moore's respectful approach to people everywhere, but remaining true to himself nevertheless in sometimes physically and emotionally taxing situations. This is an author I'll be reading more of!
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
This book quickly hopped to the top of Mt. TBR, since once I get a Peter Moore book in my sights, the rest of the world does not exist.
This book was fabulous, not only is his writing as engaging as it is in Vroom! and Swahili, but he took me through places other travel writers haven't.
Though this trip was ~10 years ago, it was wonderful insight into travel to exotic places like Iran, the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Laos, plus others.
A must read for all travel buffs and PM fans
Shiri
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the first journey I took with Peter Moore, and it was a hell of a trip.... It was funny and real. It was light and dirty. It was everything you want to have when you go on a nine months trip around the world. OK, so China was a bit long, but it's a big country after all!!! By far the best book I read for a long while.
Paul Kearney
London to Sydney without flying.On the old hippie trail through jungle and desert. Is a ten thousand mile brilliantly disaster ridden idea. From war torn baltic states to the paradises of Kathmandu. With border guards of unpredictable levels of hospitality .A cultural faux pas is only an imaginary line away
Matthew
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read with good, brisk writing and interesting observations. I agree with previous reviewers that it's fine to skip chapters you're not interested in; it's easy to get back into the book at any point. I loved the music recommendations at the beginning of each chapter. Will definitely read more from this author.
John
Aug 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: travel lit fans
Shelves: travel
Australian writer's story of traveling completely by surface (and there are several points where he's wishes he'd flown!) from London to Sydney. Really funny without ever going over-the-top to exaggerate situations.

Di
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed even more after moving to Europe but a truly Aussie tale of trying to get home overland - London to Australia.

On completion, I went on to read 'Vroom with a View' and tracked down his website. He has numerous titles to his name and eventually I'll read all of them.
Chris Steeden
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fantastic journey by Peter. Very easy to read and a very likable author. I was particularly interested in the chapters on the Balkans. He must look back on that part of his journey (and the Afghanistan trip) and think how utterly mad it was.
Elizabeth Cole
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Not his best book that I have read yet but still good. I did have to put it down and stop reading it for about two weeks and then came back to it and enjoyed it even more when I came back to it. I have two of his other books to read but these are in paperback.
Babs
Sep 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book just wasn't my cup of tea, but I know other people have enjoyed it. This is the story of the author, Peter Moore, who decides to travel home from London to Sydney without stepping on an aeroplane.
Beachcomber
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Made me both want to travel right then, and appreciate my home more. Thanks to Peter for travelling and letting me travel vicariously through him.
Thomas Phillips
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An exciting and interesting tale of a mans travels though beautiful countrys and dam right dangerous places.
Miftakh Zein
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
menarik
Katie Billinghurst
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
About traveling overland from London to Sydney. Loved his Laos chapter - my feelings exactly!
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Travellers
Shelves: lobagsbooks
Very funny Australian travel writing
Amanda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've nearly finished this book, how sad! Feel like i've been by Peter's side the whole way. I hope he has written more stuff!
Leah
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Peter Moore, I adore you--too bad I'm already married! Details his true attempt to return home to Australia from England using no planes. He's witty and brilliant, all his travel books are gems.
Ryan
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this was ok. I love to travel and I thought I would love this book but it was lacking in any real insight or wisdom. Just kind of a travel log about an interesting trip.
Esra
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
after too many beer drinking episodes, surprising that he could finish the book, fun at instances but missing totally on cultural information.
Maddie Knight
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
was an amazing journey just the fact to some of the places i have been he gave quite a negative take which i disagreed with
Karen
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to go to Laos. And Iran.
Sandra
Apr 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
Read the first few pages. I wanted something light, not sophomoric.
Monique
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite travel-books. Very funny and interesting written. The part in Mostar, ten Yugoslavia, was very moving.
  • Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales of Travel and Misadventure
  • A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
  • Castaway
  • On Foot Through Africa
  • Beijing Confidential: A Tale of Comrades Lost and Found in the New Forbidden City
  • The Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La
  • Off The Rails
  • Tropic of Capricorn
  • America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip In Search Of Non-Corporate USA
  • Me, Myself & Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • Jupiter's Travels
Peter Moore (born 18 July 1962) is an Australian travel writer.

Moore, who was born in Sydney, claims to have visited 99 countries. He currently lives with his wife and daughter in London. He has published many books that re-tell tales of his travels.

He is a Vespa enthusiast and his 2005 book Vroom with a View and 2007 book Vroom by the Sea feature trips through Italy taken on vintage Italian motor
More about Peter Moore...

“The doors had a peephole, and periodically an Iranian guard would look through and choose who he would let in. It was a bit like waiting to be picked for a sports team at school. You stand there trying to look as useful as possible to the two kids lucky enough to have been chosen as captains. If they were picking you for footy you tried to look as tough as possible. For basketball, you tried to look as tall as possible. For cricket, as long-suffering and patient as possible. That day, every time the guard looked through the peephole, I tried to look as un-Great Satan-like as I could.” 0 likes
“Just outside Tehran we passed a sign that said, ‘Servitude is never accepted in an ideology that believes in Martyrdom’. Below was a picture of a white dove copping a bullet in the heart.” 0 likes