Start by marking “The Briefing: Politics, the Press, and the President” as Want to Read:
The Briefing: Politics, the Press, and the President

The Briefing: Politics, the Press, and the President

NOW A NATIONAL BESTSELLER!

Wall Street Journal Bestseller

USA Today Bestseller

Publisher’s Weekly Bestseller

Conservative Book Club Bestseller

“One of the best reads of 2018."   — Sean Hannity

"The book is well worth your time." — Megyn Kelly

"A story told with both heart and knowledge. Really good, go get it!"   — President Donald J. Trump

No job is more of a pre
Published July 24th 2018 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Briefing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Briefing

Trejon
Feb 04, 2018 marked it as will-not-read  ·  review of another edition
I truly could not care less what this troglodyte has to say.
Bruce Crown
Jul 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Zero stars. Would I like to give it zero stars, but then wouldn’t I dare to give it more than it deserves if I had woulded it? But then, what would the career Republicans think of my use of would over wouldn't; Then wouldn't I dare to clarify? Then I would.

The gall of marketing and printing this novel says something about the publisher. Having read the published excerpts; Spicer's "memoir" is nothing more than a rationalizing puff-piece meant to pat himself on the back and siphon sympathy from

Misfit
I yield around 50%. Lost interest in all the alternative facts being spewed, amazing he'd go and praise the man who dumped him like a rock.

I really don't care, do u?
Lori
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Never Trumper. I cannot express how much I loath that horrible human being. That being said, I have always thought that although Sean Spicer worked for Trump, he seemed to me to be a relatively decent human being. I wanted to read a book in his own words to see if my impression of the man was true.

I do still believe Spicer is a decent human being and this book shows it in how many times he commends others or tries to lift people up. I cannot reconcile, however, how someone who is decent
Nathan
Really informative book,gives details on how fake the media is,how it outright lies about things and refuses to fix their lies,the harassment his family went through,his faith in god was inspiring for sure. I gained a new respect for Sean because I always thought of him as arrogant and annoying but he comes across as a nice guy who was doing what he always wanted to do. Wish him well in the future.
Tony Boskovich
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy and fascinating read. Mr. Spicer gives insight into how Donald Trump won the election and, if you pay close attention, what it is like to work with him. The most valuable insight the book gives is how the media has changed in today’s digital world, and how what we read today in what are considered the most trustworthy sources are less so than we think.
Karol
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2018
Sean Spicer is definitely partisan and makes no apologies for that. I found this book, though, to be more objective than I would have thought. His experiences and insights give a fascinating look at the inner workings of political campaigns and a glimpse at how the current presidential administration communicates with the press and the public.
Regan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relatively quick and easy read. It was interesting to see the other side of Spicer. Not the one who was mocked virtually every day, but how he thinks and what he believes. He's still very rah rah Trump, which surprised me.
Kathleen Yeagley
Calm and collected

Sean explains so much about the inner workings of the White House. It is as if you are there with him. This book focuses on looking at the areas of agreement and how politically, policy is important. Very informative. God bless those who truly serve and their families in this vicious political environment. God bless us all.
Debbie
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive
This was a very interesting book and I enjoyed seeing inside the Press Secretary position in the White House. I would very much like to shake Sean Spicer's hand. He did a good and steady job working with such a bunch of mad and self centered people in the White House press room.
Alicia Devero
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
I have to admit that Mr. Spicer got me lost completely … Usually epitaphs like his prolonged pamphlet glorifying President Trump, are written in memory of a person who has already died (or has completed his or her post) to commemorate their achievements. Buttering up his former boss and justifying his every action with intensity and passion rather unusual in the contemporary world of politics (outside of political regimes), made me lean towards a much different title for his book: “A Diary of Tr ...more
Chase Olson
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, library
Unsurprisingly, the book was written on a fourth grade level with elementary prose and narration. I was surprised at his description of Donald Trump as "a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow" and his choice to include low resolution selfies in a long picture section.
Karin
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading memoirs from those who have served in the White House, no matter their political affiliation. Sean Spicer was very honest in his evaluation of his successes and failures—perhaps even too harsh in his self-criticism. The book very effectively portrays what it is like to work as Trump’s press secretary. Best wishes to him in his new, saner endeavors.
V.F. Gutierrez
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting stories and intriguing facts

The author relates some of his life stories and his life as a press secretary. However for me most fascinating part was to read how micro targeting impacted the presidential election. These folks had their act together in getting their desired results. Amazing little known facts.
Liz Sergent
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always admired Sean Spicer, after reading his book I admire him more! A look into the Trump White House along with Spicers background made for an interesting read. I loved the insight about incoming Scaramucci along with SNL skit reaction. Great read!
Donna Hines
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The dream is now over. It's time to move on.
The loyalty will only get you so far with DT and this is one of his latest to experience the wrath.
While he won't come out and admit that lying is part of the agenda to save yourself and others from the harsh mistreatment he did simply tip toe through the tulips as they say without adding much new insight or discovery.
As they say, don't upset the apple cart.
With narcissistic individuals you wind up being discarded and devalued and this is surely the ca
Grace
"The Briefing: Politics, the Press, and the President" is an inside glimpse into the man behind the podium, hundreds of memes, and (in my opinion) wildly entertaining SNL skit featuring one of my favorite comedic actors, Melissa McCarthy.

In this brief (haha, no pun intended) and easily readable memoir, Sean Spicer shows readers who he really is - a guy with big dreams from a working-class background in New England who hustled to achieve his dream of working in politics in Washington. He's defin
Roger
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. It was an impulse buy as something to read in between required grad school textbooks. I was pleasantly surprised.

This wasn’t the first political memoir I’ve read, but it might be one of the best.

I think it’s safe to assume that all political memoirs have the same primary purpose: to paint the subject in a good light, to recover credibility, and to put the trash and nonsense in the past. In that sense, it’s sort of cathartic, for the writer and the a
Jennifer Lukoff
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written interesting read, especially for folks who have worked in communications.
Bobbie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great to read of Spicer's experience in the White House. Must have been a disappointment to liberals that it wasn't a Trump bashing tell all
Aryssa
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost surprisingly well done. The chronology could have used some...chronology but the insight into Spicer’s preWH work and campaign data stuff in 2016 was really interesting.
Budd Margolis
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trump-era
The Accidental President & His Merry Tiny Band of Ardent Apologists: Imagine an entire administration filled with people who have little idea what the job requires and blames everything on everyone else? Spicer tries to defend his every mistake while neglecting the chaos, confusion, national harm and destructive environment in which he was an important part of. he makes some mention of honesty, but mostly it is a patchwork on the thousands of cracks which the Trump dam of lies, wall of decei ...more
Pam Cipkowski
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good. I really enjoyed this. I suppose I’m being a little snarky and biased with the “surprisingly,” but I felt this truly was a balanced account, despite a few Republican rah-rahs here and there. Spicer really was a punching bag and didn’t deserve a lot of the flack he got. His side of the story is interesting without being sensational, and he comes across as a warm and funny individual—a nice guy you’d like to have living on your block. It’s interesting to hear his inside view of ...more
Ralph
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I heartedly agree with the thoughtful review provided by Alicia Devero (see below). However, I will give it two stars. Spicer is unabashedly a Republican Party supporter and he admits that, because of this, he will support whoever the party nominates regardless of possible disagreements on specific issues. It is worth reading - if you are a devout Trumper, you’ll cheer just about everything in this book; if you are a non-Trumper, you’ll be gnashing your teeth on reading just about every page.
Chris Waraksa
Sean takes responsibility for all of his mistakes and some that belong to others, namely the President. He's a good soldier. He comes across as self-deprecating and humble and it doesn't seem forced. Reading his retelling of events we all experienced through the lens of the press, you do get the sense that the press may have been guilty of distorting the truth in their creating of a narrative about candidate Trump, he could never win, and then president Trump, he is an unfit bungler, that may ha ...more
Alex Andrasik
Sorry, Sean. Nobody cares about how much sailing means to you. Get to the good parts faster next time. Also, fewer major typos.

Seriously, this book is hilariously bad. Lives up to his rep.
Cathy Biggers
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into his stint as Press Secretary and roles in the Trump campaign as well. Appreciate Mr. Spicer's service and ability to maintain an even keel spiritually.
Hapzydeco
Even though no longer the press secretary, Sean Spicer still appears to be an apologist for President Trump. Expected a different backgrounder.
Sam Chirco
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very touching experience that showed what Sean had to go through to serve our country! Sometimes war is not the only place where there are hard times or enemies. Sean is a very religious person that tried to do the right thing and try to see the good in all!
Jerome Maida
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent behind-the scenes look at Sean Spicer's time as press Spokesman for candidate and now-President Donald Trump. While okay for political junkies, Spicer's Everyman appeal and loyalty - two admirable qualities in him as a person - make for a rather bland book. Some of his humor comes across as "dad humor", much of what he talks about are incidents he has gone into detail on before and his sense of loyalty prevents him from really giving us any juicy info on president Trump, Steve Bannon, R ...more
Librarian's note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Sean Michael Spicer is an American political aide who served as White House Press Secretary and as acting White House Communications Director under President Donald Trump in 2017.