Start by marking “That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)” as Want to Read:
That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)

That Ain’t Witchcraft

(InCryptid #8)

Crossroads, noun:

1. A place where two roads cross.
2. A place where bargains can be made.
3. See also “places to avoid.”

Antimony Price has never done well without a support system. As the youngest of her generation, she has always been able to depend on her parents, siblings, and cousins to help her out when she’s in a pinch—until now. After fleeing from the Covenant of St.
Published March 5th 2019 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about That Ain’t Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Ain’t Witchcraft

Start your review of That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Seriously, thanks. Because WOW. Seanan is just a master of her craft. She threw some huge curveballs into the storyline in this one and the risks paid off! I'll spoil as little as possible, but I have to say a few things to get my feelings across.

First, I adore Annie and her friends. I'm sad this is the last Antimony book for now. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Sarah's two books coming up
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

4.5 hearts

The thing I really like about the Incryptid series is it follows a uniquely charming/crazy family of Cryptozoologists as they interact with a variety of creatures thought to be mythical. This ranges from things which are super small, like worms and plant life (be careful it might eat you) to loch ness monsters to Gorgons to mice that can speak. Let’s just say the range of creatures is staggering and then there are also the ghosts,
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
4 + Stars

I love this series. And oooh what an ending. Beyond hyped for the next book, I've been looking forward to reading about her and HIM and THEM together *eyebrow waggling*
Eeeeekkkk so excited!!!!
Annie, Sam, Fern and Cylia may have escaped Lowryland with their lives but it came at a high price considering that Annie now owes an unspecified favour to the Crossroads. It doesn't help that Annie is still running from the Covenant of St. George so she can't even turn to her family for help. All the group can do is try to stay ahead of the game, Cylia's luck magic has been playing a big part in keeping them safe but luck will only get them so far and it's only a matter of time before the ...more
Lisa Wolf
A note on the rating: I was going to go with 4 stars, simply because this isn't the best of the best of the InCryptid series. But still, the entire series is terrific, so 5 stars it is!

Seanan McGuire can pretty much do no wrong in my worldview, and That Ain't Witchcraft is a prime example of why. The InCryptid series is relatively light-hearted, although bad things do happen, but overall these books maintain a whimsical, wise-ass feel that keeps the mood more on the fun end of the urban fantasy
☕️Kimberly
Some time has elapsed since Antimony (Annie) Price and her misfit crew of friends left Lowryland and her deal with the Crossroads. It begins with them Annie & Sam hunting a murderer in a corn maze before they settle into a property in New Gravesend, Maine but trouble hasn’t stopped following them.

James Smith is on a quest for revenge. His friend made a crossroads deal, and it requires researching books from his Uncle’s house…but people are renting it. Annie catches him, and I enjoyed what
Wanda
Let me just warn you up front, that I am an InCryptid fan and cannot be expected to be too critical of my beloved series. I enjoy the Price family, in their weirdness and their oddly chosen purpose, to protect the cryptid species in their vicinity. I love the wide selection of creatures than McGuire has dreamed up for them to interact with and run interference for. I enjoy their opposition to and reluctant engagement with the Covenant of St. George. The Prices fight against prejudice in all of ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT, the eighth book in the Incryptid series continues right off where the last book ended with Annie on the run from chaos and violence of varying sorts and her crossroads bargain. I quite like the expanding mythology on the crossroads and sorcerer magic that this book delves into which I found fascinating. It was even more exciting to finally find out about the utter chaos that is the crossroads and the evil tentacled alien/monster
Beth
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Annie, AKA Antimony Price, and a group of her incryptids friends are on the run for the covenant. They thought they found a safe hide-a-way in Maine, only to discover that not only did the future leader of the covenant, Leo track Annie down. But they are also sitting on a serious crossroads, with the crossroads ready to claim the debt Annie incurred when they saved her and Sam.

That Ain’t Witchcraft is one of those white knuckle, packed full of everything you’ve been waiting to find out, McGuire
Meredith
I enjoyed this conclusion for Antimony's arc. I’ve never understood all the Annie hate. There was not as much cryptid content as I would like since the story focusses on the deals and denizens of crossroads. However, this was a fun take on crossroads bargains and their consequences as only McGuire can create, and it pulled together a number of threads we've been following along with Annie. The bonus novella included "Measure of a Monster" is a good cryptid-full story and brings us up to date for ...more
Kira
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at grumpybookgrrrl

Annie is still on the run from the covenant. In case they find her, she can’t contact her family. She and her friends end up in a tiny town in Maine. Trouble finds her even in such a small place. She meets a strange local boy with interesting theories. The crossroads call in her debt. Liam Cunningham finds her.

I found this book to be vastly more interesting than the last one. Everything learned about the crossroads was fascinating although it by no
Marzie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-net-galley
If you've been digging deeper and deeper into Seanan McGuire's InCryptid world, both with this series and her Rose Marshall/Ghostroads series, you've probably begun to have a lot of questions about the Crossroads, both as a place and an entity. Well, do we have a book for you. You may not have all your questions answered in this outing- you won't be getting Thomas Price back for Alice Healy-Price- but you're going to find some satisfying answers in this eighth book in the InCryptid world.

When we
Jasmine
I literally cried from happiness on an airplane because the exorcism of an ancient site of magic takes the form of a catechism taught by mice. And then kept crying because what makes the exorcism stick is love— romantic love, friendship love, family love— and the responsibility love demands from us.

So, y'know, classic ordinary Seanan book.
Thomas
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Well, Seanan McGuire does it again. I have no clue how she continues to pour out such a flood of incredibly entertaining material. She’s definitely got it figured out, that’s for sure.

This isn’t even my favorite Seanan McGuire series. That’s no put down when you consider that that honor goes to October Daye, which has the advantage of following the same hero throughout the series, a plus for me.

Still, this one earns all its stars. It follows the youngest Price, Antimony, as she goes up against a
Sonia
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I’m still the annoying chick who wants to throw knives at your head. I’ve just diversified my interests.”

I was scared of reading this one. So darn scared. Why? Because 1)I knew it would be amazing and all kinds of awesome and hard to read and with so many twists and turns that I would either get motion sick or end up with a pretzel shaped brain. And more important 2)I’d be wailing and begging and ready to go to the crossroads for the next one… only that… next one won’t be Annie’s POV and more
Chris
The crossroads vs everyone!
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

That Ain't Witchcraft is the Eighth installment in author Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series. It is also the third book featuring Antimony (Annie) Price, the youngest of the Price family of cryptozoologists. As Annie's story continues, she and her friends Cylia, Fern, and Sam are still attempting to lie low and not be caught by the Covenant of St. George who her sister Verity declared war on in the book called Chaos Choreography.

*Full
Beth
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, magic
I love these books and I want the next one now
Fiona
You could say I'm a fan of this series - another way to put that would be that I've read all 8 books and 35 novellas, and still don't think there's enough InCryptid out there. So while this is definitely not going to be an unbiased review, I'm at least coming from a place of pretty thorough knowledge.

That Ain't Witchcraft marks the wrapping up of the arc focusing on Antimony Price, youngest of the Price siblings who first introduced us to this weird and wonderful - but scientific - world. This
Melliane
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Like always, I was really looking forward to get into this novel! How can I resist a new book on Antimony? Impossible! More than that, all her friends are there, Leonard too, and our heroine will finally have to deal with the consequences of her deal with the Crossroads.

Thinking that she could finally take a break, Antimony and her friends found themselves in Maine to take a break. But here it is, things are not going to go as planned and the Crossroads
Debrac2014
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good short story with Alex, Shelby and Sarah!

Merged review:

I loved the ending! Aeslin mice by proxy!
Bonnie McDaniel
This is another series I've skipped a few books of. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to matter much; McGuire does a good job of catching readers up on her storylines, eight books in. The InCryptid series focuses on the Prices, a family of "cryptozoologists," scientists studying mythical creatures (said creatures, such as gorgons and Bigfoots, exist in this universe) and protecting them from the Covenant of St. George, who wants to wipe them out.

This time it's the youngest sister Antimony's turn.
Sionna
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

Another fantastic addition to a fun series. I'm so happy we've had three books of Annie -- it has been a great journey. I think of the three siblings, Annie is my favorite.
Honestly, these books have a great mix of fantasy while still feeling like real life and there continue to be more and more supernatural creatures which is astounding. This is a world that is easy to get swept up in.

I'm not a total
Devann
I'm really not sure what happened with this book because I really liked the first two books that featured Antimony as the protagonist, but I just could not get into this one. It might be because this is the first one where I have listened to the audio the first time around and I don't know if this uses the same narrator as the Verity books but I just apparently do not like the narrator[s] for this series at all. I know I'm probably being pretty unfair but the tone and pitch of her voice just ...more
Eclectisism Incarnate
To this point, Antimony is my favorite narrator. I have a feeling Sarah will be stealing that honor (or maybe just tying things up), but I will always love Antimony's books.
Sam is, by far, my favorite love interest. Somehow, I just can't imagine anyone coming close to him. Sam is just all there is, and that's not likely to change.

I love this story. From those first moments in the corn field, to the very end. I can't believe what happened, I can't believe we got this story. It's unbelievable!

Lorena
I received a free ARC of this book via NetGalley.

Seanan McGuire is an amazing writer, and any ratings I give on her work are only in relation to her other works, and how much I enjoyed them.

I liked the setting for this one, and the focus on the crossroads, and the fact that (spoiler) we're coming to the end of the Antimony-on-her-own part of the series, because I find Antimony kind of tiresome. She's not as boring as Alex, but she is a little whiny, and I'm ready for a new character focus. I'm
Kelsea
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun Incryptid book! I love Antimony.
Julie S
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun little story about Alex and Shelby and we see the return of Megan the gorgon
Stacey
I missed all the cryptids! The witchcraft aspects in Annie’s books was fun and all but I love the little short stories so much.
Karissa
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the eighth book in the InCryptid series and features Antimony Price again. I have mentioned I am not a huge fan of Antimony and that continues. However I am a huge fan of the Crossroads and this book deals with the Crossroads a lot. This was a solid addition to the series. It’s a fast-paced read with a great story, wonderful characters, lots of action, and some fun cryptozoology.

Annie and friends have finally found a place to rest. Cylia’s luck has led them to a rental house in New
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #5)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • In the Shadow of Spindrift House
  • Kingdom of Needle and Bone
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Alien: Echo
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Westward Weird
  • Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
“Sometimes closure is the only gift worth giving.” 2 likes