Start by marking “The Slithery Shakedown” as Want to Read:
The Slithery Shakedown

The Slithery Shakedown

(Nocturnals Early Reader )

Discover the friendship and humor of the Nocturnals Brigade! In The Slithery Shakedown, three unlikely friends—Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark a loud-mouthed sugar glider and Dawn, a serious fox—stand up to a big bully snake. In the process, they find themselves some spec-tac-u-lar snakeskin capes!

Includes Bonus Animal Glossary
Published April 10th 2018 by Fabled Films Press

To ask other readers questions about The Slithery Shakedown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slithery Shakedown

Start your review of The Slithery Shakedown
Kelley
ARC received courtesy of Goodreads.com First Reads Giveaway

I LOVED this Developing Reader book! Bismark, a sugar glider, meets his other nocturnal friends for an adventure. Kids will be introduced to the sugar glider, the red fox, the pangolin and the blue-bellied snake. They will learn about animals they are unfamiliar with while being familiar with the term "nocturnal". The facts at the back of the book are interesting and written at an appropriate level. The illustrations are both cute and
Ricki
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't tend to gravitate to early readers because they can be awfully boring. This book breaks the mold. It's fun and engaging, and my son loves reading it. I frequently catch him looking through the pages and staring at the pictures. He didn't know what nocturnal animals were before he read this book, and now, any time we see an animal, he asks if it is nocturnal. The conflict in this book is wonderfully portrayed, and it teaches about the power of friendship and bravery. I recommend this book ...more
Trisha Perry
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Nocturnals. On the bigger kid side there are some multimedia interaction that can be done with the books put out for them, you can see some of those books reviewed here with at least one more to come. But today I have one for the younger children, The Slithery Shakedown, where our trio of friends, Bismark the sugar glider, Dawn the red fox, and Tobin the pangolin are meeting up for a evening adventure when the blue bellied snake bully shows up to make trouble.

I love these book
Julion Soto
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Nocturnals: The Slithery Shakedown by Tracey Hecht, Illustrated by Josie Yee is cute and adorable. The cover features Bismark, a sugar glider, waiting for his friends to arrive at night in a glade. He, along with his buddies, as we find out, are nocturnal creatures (a good vocabulary word for first and second grades). We're introduced to Bismark's friends, a fox and a pangolin (an endangered, exotic mammal). Together they face their fears, learn what it means to be brave in the face of ...more
Heather
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced reader copy and since then have ordered the book for our library regular collection. The Nocturnals early reader series is great on many levels. It has fun characters and illustrations that attract a young reader. It also introduces new vocabulary in a way that is approachable for those that are learning to read. The inclusion of facts at the end of the book is also great.
Ms. Yingling
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central

In this sequel to The Midnight Meeting, we rejoin Bismark the sugar glider, Tobin the pangolin and Dawn the fox. Bismark is waiting for his friends, who are late to arrive, and plans to lead them on an exciting nocturnal adventure. The plan runs into trouble when the group runs into a snake and Bismark, who has spent a lot of time claiming to be brave, is very afraid. He thinks the snake is going to eat him, and he is probably right! If the friends band
Jenn
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-won
I won a copy of this book.

This book was super cute! Perfect for your beginner readers (4-6 years old) with fun pictures sure to delight! The back of the book also offers bonus content so the reader can learn more about nocturnal animals. Good fun all around!
Len
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received my copy via Goodreads giveaway.
This book exceeded my expectations- it features attractive characters, and a fun story.
the combo of the strengths of the 3 friends, all very different, is a key theme.
Cat
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Tracey Hecht! I love this series for young readers. The vocabulary words aren't to challenging for the age (4-6), they are easily understood by context, the illustrations are bold and colorful with lots of detail, but not so much as to overwhelm. I like that in addition to the story, there is an additional section at the end of the book to further encourage reading about nocturnal animals. I also like that the books feature animals unique to Australia. Great story kids will ...more
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
The characters from The Nocturnals continue to migrate into readers for younger children. Dawn, Tobin, and the vastly amusing Bismark first appeared in The Moonlight Meeting and now their adventures continue in The Slithery Shakedown. Bismark impatiently waits for his friends to join him, but when they do - an unwanted creature also appears. A shimmery blue snake decides that a silly sugar glider would make a lovely breakfast. Luckily for Bismark, his friends stand up to the hungry reptile.

The
Lauren Kramer
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Nocturnal Brigade is back in an all new adventure! In the second installment of the Nocturnals Easy Reader Series, The Slithery Shakedown, Bismark has a problem. His friends are late for their nightly rendezvous.

When Dawn and Tobin finally arrive, they see that they are not alone. A blue bellied snake has slithered his way into the group. He is not interested in making friends. Instead, he wants to have Bismark as a snack!

Will Tobin and Dawn be able to save Bismark? Has the spunky sugar
Mary Ortiz
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loved this book and the characters. The three friends Bismark the sugar glider ,Tobin the pangolin , and Dawn the fox show that friends stick by you even when they are scared and it’s ok to be scared. That even when your scared you can still be brave too. There is also facts about the animals in the back of the book so it’s a fun read and they learn something about the animals they are reading about too. Thanks to goodreads , author, and publisher for the chance to read this book.
C. Stuchl
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-books
A beautifully illustrated children's book. Bright colors and adorable characters. Well written for young readers. I know my grandson will love it. Thanks

I received this lovely children's book free for a review from the author and Goodreads.

Amanda Ross
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i read this to my son he loved it so cute. He loved all the characters. I love the larger writing it was easy for him to read with me.
Logan
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book was a simple, cute story about friends learning how to be brave even when they're scared.

I've gotta say, the snakeskin capes at the end were...pretty morbid and uncomfortable. But I was a weird kid, so who am I to judge?
Kylene
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-on-goodreads
The Nocturnals: The Slithery Shakedown is a fun easy reader book. My son and I liked the unique animals. I also thought the message of the book -- being brave even when you are scared-- was a good one. I did think the font was a little difficult to read for children with reading challenges/dyslexia.
LeeAnn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
These are the younger-level books based on the Nocturals series. It's really cute, and young readers will enjoy the story. The book is also a good introduction to some animals that may be unfamiliar to American kids. I received this book as an ARC, but I look forward to reading more in the series.
Lisa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
The concept of this book is great- introduce readers in grades 1-2 to nocturnal animals (sugar glider, red fox, pangolin and blue bellied snake). However, the snake is a bully in the story so when I read the descriptions of the animals at the end of the book, which I loved, I was surprised to learn the blue bellied snake is actually shy.

I also thought it odd that once the snake was introduced and spoke with exaggerated “sssss” sounds, the main character, Bismark began to speak with a stutter
Diane
“You can be scared and brave, too.”

Bismark is a bit of a nervous sugar glider, easily startled, though he would never admit it. His two friends, Dawn (a red fox) and Tobin (a pangolin) are used to his bravado and patiently accompany him on his adventures. Luckily, they are willing to stand by him when he encounters something blue, shimmery and makes a noise like “sssssssss.”

“The Nocturnal Brigade! Bold in adventure. And best of all, brave.” Especially when they have each other to lean on.

Cute.
Libby
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have fallen in love with The Nocturnals series. These easy chapter books are fun, appealing and educational. In this series entry, the three friends (a pangolin, a red fox and a sugar glider) stick together to stand up to a bullying snake. It's quite a feat to anthropomorphize characters and stay true to their animal natures. This series succeeds. Recommended for readers just moving into chapter books.
Ryan
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love that the Nocturnals MG series spun off an easy reader series. I believe this is book two. While it is an easy or beginning reader ir could also be considered a beginning chapter book as it is set up like one. The story follows 3 night friends who are brave in the face of danger.
+16 #TBRread
#BBRC #ERpublishedinthelast5years
#MountTBR
Amanda Delap
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveways
It was an enjoyable early reads book with beautiful pictures. The characters are all unique and likeable. I believe it will create fans at a young age that will be interested in reading the chapter books when they are older.
Jaime Hobbie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this series, and this book in particular had such great messaging surrounding bravery in the face of bullying. Was able to read with my 4-year-old and 7-year-old together, and both enjoyed the really silly, fun illustrations. Great bedtime read.
Ana
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute side story to the middle grade series. A snake threatens the Nocturnals, but they stand their ground.
Kellee Moye
What a fun book to read! It not only will be great for Trent when he is a beginning reader to practice his reading, it is overall a fun story that is a fantastic read aloud. It looks at the idea of bravery and fear as well as friendship while also introducing scientific ideas like nocturnal animals and carnivore animals.

Full review with dual review and teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1...
Stacey Ashton
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my nephew, who loves unusual animals. We had a great time reading it together. Though he’s on the young side of the recommended age range, the quick moving plot and (spoiler alert) encounter with the snake kept him engaged. After we finished reading the book, we read the Nocturnals Fun Facts section at the back and spent the next hour talking and researching sugar gliders, blue-bellied snakes, and pangolins.
Marcia Henderson
May 23, 2018
Cbsd library
Mar 16, 2018
Zach
Sep 26, 2018
AEP
Jan 14, 2020

• Penguin & Tiny Shrimp Don’t Do Bedtime!
  • Bruce's Big Fun Day (World of Reading: Level 1)
  • Batman Has a Plan
  • The Word Collector
  • Pippa Park Raises Her Game
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Rain Makes Applesauce
  • The Bus Ride
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • I Can Make This Promise
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Bad Kitty Joins the Team
  • Camp Daze (Bad Kitty)
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights
Tracey Hecht has written, directed, and produced for film. The American Booksellers Association chose the first book in her critically acclaimed middle grade series, The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions, as a Kids’ Indie Next List pick.

In 2017, she expanded the series to include early reader books, so that families could share the reading experience together. In partnership with the New York

Nocturnals Early Reader (5 books)
  • The Peculiar Possum