Start by marking “Watersnakes” as Want to Read:
Watersnakes

Watersnakes

Mila is a quiet, solitary teenager ready to put another boring summer vacation behind her until she meets Agnes, an intriguing adventurous girl who turns out to be a ghost. And not just a regular ghost, but one carrying the essence of a fallen king, and a mouth full of teeth that used to be guardian warriors. She introduces Mila to a wondrous world of secret places and ...more
Published November 7th 2018 by Lion Forge Comics (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Watersnakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watersnakes

Start your review of Watersnakes
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
That was one of the most bizarre, surreal, and unsettling graphic novels I've ever read... and I loved it so much I don't even know how to explain why. Let me start with the artwork:

This is some of the most unique and quietly disturbing art I've ever seen in a graphic novel, and it works SO WELL for Watersnakes. The story starts off with Mila, a young woman who meets another girl and is immediately captivated by her presence, her looks, her... teeth? She begins to form a seemingly unhealthy
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

I thought for a long time if I should write this review before I actually decided to, for two main reasons. One, I know this is a very well-loved story by almost everybody who read it (even my sister-in-law who was reading it with me), and second that I used to first be an art student, and then work for this publisher, so I got this book for free a long time ago (incidentally, my teacher loved it) and didn't know what to do with it because I simply knew that I wouldn't like it. Finally, during
Chad
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
Get this for the stylized, moody art. The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There's a lot of dream sequences and scenes where it's not really clear if they are real or imagined. But it's looks pretty damn cool.

Received a review copy from Lion Forge and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Are you looking for an incredibly dark and gothic lesbian graphic novel? Well here you go!

This is one of the hardest reviews to write. It's so hard to put into words what this graphic novel is about because the story is mostly told through the beautiful gothic and macabre art style. Let's try... We are following a young girl named Mila who one Summer has a run in with a pretty girl named Agnes and the reader is immediately aware that something isn't right. I'll be honest, I WAS CONFUSED AS FORK
Moi  Baltazar
LOVED this book. Every page of it is a stunning work of art.
Ana
Not gonna lie, the cover with its promise of adventurous girls being badass is what drew me to this graphic novel. The fact that there are foxes here and there, in addition to queer undertones, is a welcome bonus!

First off, the art style: the opening three-four pages are ab-so-lute-ly stunning! Soon enough were given just a taste of how dark and creepy the story will get near the end. I love the way Tony Sandoval plays with the panels, particularly the metaphorical ones, like that of summer
Mitticus
+Digital arc gently provided by Netgalley and editors in exchange for an honest review+

I'm calling this Oneiric crapstatic.

Mila finds an strange girl while on vacation. Lesbic fantasies aside, then odd, weird, fantasies starts. Ghosts, or something else, nightmares and some disturbing teeth paraphilia and story that made no sense.

2.5** for the art.

But really this was not so my thing. Ug. (--b/c teeth falling is one of my worst nighmare x_x)
Once again duped by the cover.
Konstantin
The story was... fine, touching, all the things you'd expect from a bit darker and nastier middle grade novel - though it had gotten complex near the end, which I appreciated. But the artwork - oh, my. I'd give all the stars in the universe to the wonderful figures and the color palettes and the position of things in frames. So unique and utterly brilliant.

Definitely recommended.
Dana Cristiana
First, I'd like to thank the author, NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for this amazing book.

The illustrations in this book are gorgeous, and the story really interesting. There were several parts when I couldn't get what was going on, but then it made sense.

As the synopsis says, the story is about a girl, Mila (which I really liked) befriend a blonde, Agnes, which was also beautiful.
Their story is beautiful and moving at the end. I also liked the "King" 's personality.

3.25 stars. I
Anja H.
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*3 MINDFUCKED STARS*

This was my first graphic novel ever and I have no clue where to start!
I think this is the darkest, creepiest and most twisted thing Ive ever read. Octopuses, foxes, lesbian fantasies, spirit warriors and an unhealthy teeth obsession in just 140 short pages? Safe to say my head hurts lol.

While this is a very macabre and plain weird short story, I cant say I disliked it though. I absolutely loved the art and the pacing!

Received a free copy of this book from the publisher via
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Watersnakes left such an impression on me. I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up rereading it a few months later because I couldn't quite decide how I felt about this one. While not perfect, it had so many elements I loved. Even upon a second read-through, I still didn't completely understand everything, but I still enjoyed it so much.

This was an incredibly unique graphic novel. Blending together elements of magical realism with mild horror imagery, the story was fantastical
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by Lion Forge Comics through Netgalley

Watersnakes is a beautiful graphic novel.
I'd heard of Sandoval before, but I'd never checked his work until now, and I'll be sure to see what else he has to offer.

In Watersnakes, Milla is a girl on summer vacation who, on one of her wanderings, meets Agnes and falls in love with her. Her fascination with Agnes' teeth and their role in the story, as independent entities, as warriors, is surrealistically fetishistic but fits into the world
Marianna
I chose this book because I wanted to explore Mexican literature, and I must say I had a general first good impression after all.
I loved this story, it's both quirky and disturbing but also sweet in some way, very emotional and there's a lot of introspection. It also made me feel very sad though, but in a good way - it was more a sort of empathy or melancholy rather than true sadness.
But I feel a little bit mocked. I was truly being interested and captured in a special way by the lesbian or
Anusha Narasimhan
First off, the art is awesome! It has a very grim and gothic feel to it which perfectly suits the story. The plot was different from the fantasy books I usually read, so it kept me intrigued. Recommended to readers who like their fantasy dark.

Note - I received a free digital copy of the book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review in any way.
Kristin
A Surreal fairy tale featuring characters drawn like elongated Funko Pops. Slight but unsettling.
Kirsty
Girls who come from the sea, queer love, and gorgeous goth-cute artwork of course I was going to like this. But it's not a cute love story, it's dark as hell weird tooth myths, octopus-vomiting, skeleton wolves, oh and also the girls from the sea are actually teeth who have to fight the skeleton wolves in a dream. It's batshit and I guess the story doesn't really make 'sense' (if we want to be boring and have things make sense all the time), and usually quirkiness for the sake of it is ...more
Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks)
This was so beautiful and so odd. Finished it and started it right back over again!
Lukasz
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts more or less normally. An encounter between two adolescent girls attracted to each other. Nothing new. But here comes the twist. Mila feels strangely attracted to Agnes teeth.

Soon,  things go from weird to insane. It turns out Agnes carries the essence of an ancient king and her teeth are his former guardians. Readers dont get enough background information and that makes plot stranger and stranger the deeper we go.

Thats a serious issue, but I didnt mind because I like weird fiction.
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more a book for looking at, than for reading. An odd tale of a girl, Mila, who meets another girl, Agnes, who seems to be a ghost, who died when she was five, yet, still continues to grow older, and whos younger brother can hear her, but not see her.

She swallowed an octopus like creature, that apparently killed her.

Watersnakes 1

Watersnake

And yet, it still lives inside her.

Agnes is very odd, as I guess one would be as a ghost, and tells tales of her teeth leaving her to fight in wars.

Which is what ends up
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Brilliant story and beautiful illustrations, this dark tale bridges the gap between dreams and reality with the story of two teenage girls who meet during the Summer holidays. But one of them is not exactly the girl she seems to be. There are spirits, battles and picnics, it's everything I could want from a little story - and the illustrations are so incredible.
Etienne
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise! This story was so good! Dark, weird, original, unique and amazing artworks. This is definetely a very good one!
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
ARC provided by Lion Forge via Netgalley in exchange for a review

Perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval is a brilliant and strange tale that will keep you asking what was real and what wasn't.

The illustrations were gorgeous and the story was very unique. I enjoyed it so much although some parts were a bit confusing at first.
Skye Kilaen
Wonderfully dreamy fantasy/horror graphic novel about a teenage girl who meets a ghost. A queer crush + magic battles against skeleton wolves, an underwater cave, and various other weird elements. If you have anxiety around teeth falling out (I know people who do!) then maybe give this a miss. If not, and you're cool with a very loose plot, give this one a chance. The artwork is fantastic.
Phil
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a free ecopy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I got a real fairy tale vibe from this book. It is a story about two young girls that meet at the beach. The parents are around but not really present for the story. Things start out innocently enough, but it moves into some pretty strange territory that sets the girls on a quest to save their lives. The story between the two girls brings in elements of a first crush, along with all the awkwardness that might
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

The art for this book is absolutely gorgeous and I'm honestly rating it more on the art and mood of the whole thing than the content because it is just ...confusing. I seriously had to come back to Goodreads and reread the summary after I started because I had literally no idea what was going on. Absolutely nothing plot related was really explained until the end and even then it was a very cursory explanation that left me with a lot of questions.
Nicole M. Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This graphic novel is honestly a bit trippy, but that's definitely the style and the intention. And I will fully admit that when I read graphic novels, I'm all about the artwork, and I LOVE the style of the artwork in this book. Some parts of the story were ... strange and a little disturbing (for instance, there's a bit of a weird tooth fetish thing going on that I didn't quite understand---and an army of teeth
Keri (KeriBetweenPages)
This art was SOOOO beautiful!
Jason
While I liked the fantasy element, it took an odd turn or two, and it took a while to get where it was going. (e-galley from NetGalley)
Adela Cacovean

An e-book ARC copy was provided by the publisher via the NetGalley service, in exchange for an honest review.

Going in, I wasn't sure what to expect. The artwork on the cover seemed very bad-ass, so after reading through the lines of the synopsis, I knew I was in. The book pulls you right in the story, with hints of the past, and a very smooth transition to our main character, Mila, a pale Morticia-like figure of a teenager who is bathing in the sea, who
Barbara McEwen
So pretty and creepy and bizarre! What's not to love?
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. #108 Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval 1 5 Dec 24, 2018 12:28PM

• Little Girls
  • Écumes
  • Bone Parish Vol. 1
  • Upgrade Soul
  • The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)
  • Haphaven
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Brindille - Tome 02
  • Midnight Radio
  • Les chasseurs d'ombres (Brindille, #1)
  • When I Arrived at the Castle
  • Fraternity
  • Petit (Les Ogres-Dieux, #1)
  • Witchy