Start by marking “Manna City: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller” as Want to Read:
Manna City: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller

Manna City: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller

Nista is nine months pregnant, starving, and living in a cave. Her husband, Dane, thinks she's gone crazy. And the first time she heard the voice of her unborn child, she thought she'd gone crazy, too. But the child has told her too many things, shown her too many things that have come to pass. She knows…someone is coming to usher them away from their isolated purgatory. S ...more
Published March 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Manna City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manna City

Justin Coogle
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't really know what to expect from this novel. I liked the cover and intentionally only skimmed the synopsis for it to be a surprise. And I was pleased with the read.

Manna City, by Geoffrey Pierce, follows 3 characters: Nista, Dane, and Halvist. Nista, who is pregnant, is married to Dane and they are trying to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic world they call home. They recently lost their 10 year old son, Tanin, which has caused a rift in the already tense situation. Halvist is a "sol
Shari Branning
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This is possibly one of the strangest books I've read. Consequently had a hard time deciding on a rating.

In a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by monsters of both human and beast variety, Nista's single goal is to keep her clairvoyant, unborn child alive and get to a place where she can have a future. Meanwhile, Dane is obsessed with their lost son, and Halvit...He just wants to stay alive at any cost.

Pierce is an impeccable storyteller. His writing voice shines in vivid, disturbing clarity in
Hasanthi
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I thank the author for sending me a free copy of the eBook, in exchange for an honest review.
There were some special characteristics that I found in the story;
The story and the setting were intriguing.
This is one of the most distinctive and noteworthy stories I have ever read.
The setting is post – apocalyptic world, and it is filled with different kinds of monsters, beasts and humans.
We meet the three main characters, Nista, a woman who is 9 months pregnant, Dane, Nista’s Husband, who keep on th
Olivia
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Thank you to Geoffrey Pierce for offering me a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I almost never read the synopsis, even when authors ask me for a review I only briefly glance at it, because I like to enjoy a book knowing nothing about it. Occasionally, I'm very pleasantly surprised. Occasionally, it goes wrong.

I was pleased with this read.

We follow three characters: Nista, Dane, and Halvist. Nista is pregnant, married to Dane and together they're trying to survive in a post-apocalypt
Wolf (Alpha)
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
Kameron Williams
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"If you eat that rabbit, I'll stab you in the throat while you sleep."

I loved this, a dystopian sci-fi adventure through a desolate desert landscape that reminded me a bit of Mad Max. Nista is perhaps the most vibrant and interesting character I've read this year(see her quote above), and her inclusion really made this tale a wild ride.

I really took to the writing style, which was the perfect balance of being concise, yet descriptive enough for you to know what's going on. I enjoyed reading abou
R.J. Stowell
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because of a comment left on my intro page. It was a great lesson in trusting fellow writers and particularly in checking out the work of self-published authors. Sometimes we gloss over the works of our peers.

I enjoyed Manna City, finding it often exciting and taking the characters to heart. The writing was superb: to the point and thoughtful. While I've tired of the dystopian genre that so pervades YA, in particular, Manna City took a fresh approach, which I needed.

I woke up ou
Kami-jo
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book mainly because a friend from HS had written it. I had to check it out. I’m not usually a fan of this style of book but I have to say...I really enjoyed it!
Wayne McKinstry
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Manna City is an extremely dystopian tale. Three people start on a journey to a place where they hope will be food, water and most of all hope. Some unspecified ecological disaster has reduced Earth to dust and tree stumps. Horrible monsters roam around eating anything or anyone they want. As the three persons make their journey we hear some of their lives to date but we never hear what happened to make the Earth such a living hell.

This is a sobering read, enough to make you stop and think what
Scott Spotson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very well-written book, using just enough prose to get its point across. It's a very minimalist book, in terms of plot, use of prose, number of characters, and the harshness of the conditions in which people simply must survive--or die.

It's not typically a genre I would read, bleak as it is, and very little hope on a harsh world where water is scarce, and food even more so. I read to relax, to enjoy, and to have a little bit of an escape, and maybe some excitement or inspiration. Ackn
Reonie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Manna city is the story of three people escaping from horrible circumstances, forced to work together and survive a horrendous trip through desert terrain. They need to get to some utopia city that may or may not exist, because an unborn psychic baby told them to.

So… That’s not even a spoiler the whole story starts out like a savage fever dream with the baby and everything. I admit I nearly put the book down after the first chapter. But I’m curious and wanted to know where the hell all this was
Todd Oliver
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent post-apocalyptic story! The story mainly revolves around Nista. She is 9 months pregnant. Her and Dane are barely surviving in a cave on a hill in the middle of nowhere. Their relationship is strained after the loss of their son, Tannin. Nista has dreams of Manna City. Her unborn child talks to her and shows her these visions. When an unfriendly group of men show up at their cave, Nista was expecting them. She saw this in a dream. Unfortunately, the men were followed by their former ca ...more
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from the start, the story and the setting were so intriguing. I wanted and needed to know more about this world the Author has built. It was so different and harsh to what I normally read, which just left me with so many questions. How do they survive? Are there more people? What is going on? Some of these things were answered by just following their journey. Others weren’t, even more questions were formed.

The dynamic between the three main characters was very well done. They were r
Jessica
Apr 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
Davon Custis
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the story of Manna City by Geoffrey Pierce.

Written in a clear simple understanding, you read about a post-apocalypse world where trying to survive in a bleak, barren landscape with raiders, monsters, and lack of necessities means life and death. I liked the characters Nista, Dane, and Havist trying to survive.

And taking on the old theme: "The grass is always greener on the other side . . ." you believe that the characters have some sense of hope.

Manna City is sure to capture
Wendy
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book through a giveaway

The overall concept of the book was interesting and the pace kept moving forward. I wasn't a huge fan of the resolution of the plot and the characters seemed a little flat to me, but the writing was good so it was a wash in my opinion. It was interesting enough, but I wished it was just a little bit more.
Dawn Ireland
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Geoff has painted a picture that is hard to get out of your head. A futuristic earth after the Great Changes have occurred. His characters are complex and driven by a force of pure survival in this barren land.
Rhian
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A free copy of Manna City was offered in return for an honest review.

Review/critique here: https://rhianwriting.wordpress.com/20...
Elizabeth
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
Interesting, very different.
Otis Doss III
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightfully dystopian and dark tale of a search for a utopian oasis.
Jeremy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The tone of this book is dark and bleak. The setting is harsh and the characters suffer. Its not what I would call an uplifting read. But I enjoyed it. The bleak tone is perfectly suited to this type of story and the sparse prose does a good job of conveying the story to the reader without extra flourish. Basically, the way the book is written perfectly reflects the setting and story of this book.

If you like The Road or Mad Max you'll like this. If you like books like Twilight you'll probably h
Bobbie Morris
Karol S. Niehaus
Nov 11, 2018
Deborah Boyer
Mar 31, 2018
Geoffrey Pierce was raised in Upstate New York. He spent several years roaming the deserts of Arizona and Utah, climbing through the mountains and valleys of California, and cavorting with the beasts in Yellowstone National Park.

He spent far too much time in college attaining a B.A. in English Literature and Philosophy, an M.A. in Teaching Arts, and another M.A. in English Literature.

He’s had an