Start by marking “Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers” as Want to Read:
Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers

Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers

Solarpunk is a type of optimistic science fiction that imagines a future founded on renewable energies. The seventeen stories in this volume are not dull utopias—they grapple with real issues such as the future and ethics of our food sources, the connection between technology and nature, and the interpersonal conflicts that arise no matter how peaceful the world is. In the ...more
Published June 5th 2018 by World Weaver Press

To ask other readers questions about Glass and Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glass and Gardens

Glass and Gardens by Sarena UlibarriMars Trilogy by Kim Stanley RobinsonWings of Renewal by Claudie ArseneaultThe Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le GuinSunvault by Phoebe Wagner
Solarpunk
64 books — 69 voters
Legacy by Jesikah SundinElements by Jesikah SundinWings of Renewal by Claudie ArseneaultSunvault by Phoebe WagnerEcopunk! - speculative tales of radical futures by Liz Grzyb
Solarpunk Fiction
27 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers
Kalin
Another anthology I found through the Solarpunk group. I've posted most of my reading notes in the discussion topic there too.

If I have one complaint about the majority of the stories here, it's the lack of more grown-up human beings in them. Imagining how humanity--and not just its technology--will continue to evolve seems a daunting task. (But perhaps not as daunting as facing a more mature humanity and trying to figure out its mentality and reactions ... wait till you see "Loving Loney Lone,"
Fiona
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Fiona by: Lena
Group read with the excellent Solarpunk group!

This collection of eco-positive/dystopianish stories absolutely blew my mind (dystopianish because a lot of these futures were extremely appealing). While I would usually pick out a couple of favourites to highlight, I find myself completely unable to choose between about eight of them - the quality of these stories was SO consistently good.

And even besides the quality of the writing, the overall tone of this collection was so uplifting and positive
Lukasz
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anthology, solarpunk
Actual rating: 2.5/5

I enjoy dystopias and postapocalyptic wastelands, but they don't present the future I want for myself or future generations. I want an optimistic future founded on renewable energies. I believe people can coexist peacefully with nature. Yes, I'm that naive.

Solarpunk's ideas are close to my heart. In short, the genre can be described as a type of optimistic science fiction that focuses on visions of a brighter future.

The seventeen stories packed into this anthology approach a
Lena
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lena by: Solarpunk
These stories of optimism, passion, and science are beautiful.

976FC080-894E-4439-A8A7-CD9B1DBCD005.jpg
Caught Root by Julia K. Patt ★★★★☆
Two communities are rebuilding civilization separately, high rise vs adobe. One botanist must make the first strides towards a working relationship. Short, sweet, and romantic.

F31EE671-1A2E-4680-B5F5-132E90178B90.jpg
The Spider and the Stars by D.K. Mok ★★★★★
“Dedicated to Artemis, whose children reached the stars.”
I cannot believe you just had me crying fat tears over a spider! I haven’t done that since Charlotte in Charlotte’s Web.

The
Sara J. (kefuwa)
So #solarpunk is this awesome sf sub-genre that is all kinds of cool. Head over to the Goodreads “Solarpunk” Group - which introduced me to the genre (thanks for the invite Lena) - touted as radical optimism or eco positive fic to counter the dystopias out there. Think earth ships, arcologies, sky gardens, renewable energy, sustainable agriculture and the like! I still enjoy my dystopias but this was a breathe of fresh air! Short story collections really make me want to review the stories one by ...more
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally published here

I was very lucky to be offered an ARC of this straight from the editor due to the fact I previously reviewed Sunvault, another solarpunk collection of short stories. I leapt at the chance and read it straight away as I adore solarpunk and am always happy to read more of it.

Again, as this is a short story collection it’s hard to review because all the stories were so different. It was delightful to see all the different locations and interpretations used in the sto
Daniel (Page by Page)
Cable Town Delivery: 2/5 ⭐️
Women of White Water: 2/5 ⭐️
Under the Northern
Shel
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: stories
Note: I have a story in this collection and optimistic science fiction is my jam!

"...if you can’t imagine something, you sure as hell can’t make it real." — Commando Jugendstil and the EV Studio on the World Weaver Press Blog

It's fulfilling to have a story included in Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers about optimist futures based on renewable energy (and to be joining in Solarpunk Chat June 16 on Twitter).

"...optimism is way punk. Not that we will emerge from catastrophic dystopia into a diff
Chessa
This collection of short stories imagines futures beyond dystopia - wondering instead what would a hopeful future possibly look like. I am a huge fan of utopia stories, and SF stories that consider these kinds of huge question - what positive futures can we behold, with technology assisting us?

Like any collection, I liked some stories more than others (and had to downright skip one because I just couldn’t make it through and it was jeopardizing my ability to finish the book at all). These stori
Jantine
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

The short stories in this book are light, bright and optimistic. That does not mean everything is easy and perfect. It does mean they are full of hope.

Off course, as always with short stories, there were stories that resonated with me better than others. I did like them all, and feel motivated by them to look into the future.
Hope
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: specfic, short-story, arc
The publisher provided this book to me in exchange for an honest review.

I was impressed by this book. Each one felt like a universe in a grain of sand - much larger on the inside than their page length. I highly recommend this book :)
Melissa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First reading in the solarpunk genre, really enjoyed it. Most of the stories had a creative and imaginative twist on the future, and I especially loved Stefani Cox’s story Fyrewall. Nice collection.
Skyler Boudreau
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t think I’ve ever read solarpunk before, and this anthology was an awesome start! I enjoyed every story, but my favorite is definitely “The Heavenly Dreams of Mechanical Trees” by Wendy Nikel.

The intelligent, insightful way climate change is discussed in all of these stories is fantastic. Some of the worlds readers get to glimpse are also uncannily realistic futures.

A full review will follow on Reader Views. 😊😊
USOM
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

So can I just say I'm in love with the premise? That is what drew me to the book and it didn't disappoint. This anthology gives you just enough story, science, and hope.
Chrysten Lofton
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.0⭐ 🔥 t h e f u t u r e i s b r i g h t 🔥
**mild spoilers**

If you’re here, and you’re following my reviews, thank you for rolling with me. We’re on episode 31 of Stitcher’s LeVar Burton Reads, and we’re gifted with “Fyrewall” by Stefani Cox.

So, this was a really nice story. My gut instinct was to give it a three, but am I so bored by optimism? I hope you’ll divulge me one sci-fi tangent. LeVar brought up Star Trek, but in my assessment, I’m bringing up Rick & Morty. For those of you groaning,
Lisa
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff, short-stories
A nice collection of solarpunk fiction in a generous, easy-to-read format. Some stories fixate on technology more than plot, which I gather genre enthusiasts would insist is a feature not a bug. Those same stories have self-righteous characters I prefer to avoid as much as real-life insufferable vegans. A (different) couple of stories include Christian elements that I found off-putting, perhaps because I don't recall any other religious representation in the anthology.

Stand-out stories include "
Jayne
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first thing that struck me about the stories in this anthology was the optimism. This book is filled with hope and happiness. The second thing that struck me was the characters. They are problem solvers, thinkers, doers, tackling strange new problems brought about not only by changing climate but by the technologies and choices of previous generations. Imagine sending spiders into space habitats ahead of humans, or building self-renewing walls of ocean water to repel forest fires, or being a ...more
Nancy
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
In the short speculative fiction story "Fyrewall" by Stefani Cox, Daesha lives sometime in the future in the LA area, in which an advanced firewall keeps the city safe from raging wildfires. Her grandmother invented the technology of the wall, and Daesha is tasked with keeping it updated, yet she and her work crew seem to have lost the technical understanding in how it was created and how to truly fix it when a tear occurs and puts the city at risk. While the story mentions that the inhabitants ...more
Christine
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read a bunch of solarpunk anthologies now this year, but this was definitely the best of them all. I liked that the stories didn't have any major conflicts in them, but instead they seemed to be about how people change.

I've felt the need for stories not centered around a conflict for a really long time and this book finally delivered. For me the most defiant action in this world right now is to tell stories that don't feed the conflicts but offer something simple and calm for everyone. This
Joe
Feb 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: science-fiction
Solarpunk is a rather focused and closely defined sub-genre of science fiction but one I've been wanting to read into for some considerable time. It's about a positive future generally involving renewable resources and alternative styles of government. I think of myself as an eternal optimist and am very glad I read this as this is a book filled to the brim with optimism.

A great selection of short stories by authors I've never heard of before but will now try to keep an eye out for as there were
Kristina
NOTE: I was provided with an eARC by the publisher in exchange for providing an honest review.

With only a few exceptions I was blown away by this collection. I’m an avid SFF reader and it was very refreshing to see a collection of stories that unabashedly reveled in discovery and wonder. There was one story I got so frustrated with I couldn’t finish. (Who knew that anauthor constantly commenting on the female protagonist’s lips would be so annoying?) And a few that were just not quite there – ei
Steve C
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The writers here anthologized are the heirs to Ray Bradbury.

If you remember a time when science fiction was about hope, about looking to the future with a dream rather than a nightmare, then you will not be disappointed.
Georgina Kamsika
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An anthology of Solarpunk stories - optimistic science fiction that imagines a future founded on renewable energies - with a great variety of settings and cultures and plots.

I like both pessimistic and optimistic stories, but a little positivity feels good right now. The stories and worlds presented here are inspirational, even though not everything works out every time. From the prominent farming theme to murder mysteries and aliens, the stories vary widely in both setting and tone, but I enjo
Matthew Gabb
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully written stories! I'm excited to read more solarpunk in the future 😊
Ada
May 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
***Who sucked me in***
Thomas from SFF180 in their SFF180 | Mailbag Monday | May 28, 2018 video on Youtube publicated on 28 mei 2018

Some hopeful science fiction stories. Sign me up!
JR Dabbles
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delightful short story collection brimming with hope. All of the stories were well written/executed so I'm just going to gush about my favorites.

*Caught Root by Julia K. Patt - A cozy tale about too eco-settlements conflicting over the right way to live sustainably. It was nice to see the people overcome betrayal, mutual distrust and opposing ideologies. I feel like we need more fiction like this.

*Fyrewall by Stefani Cox - Another story about overcoming one's preconceptions to work together an
Sarena Ulibarri
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I love all of these stories (obviously, I picked 'em!), but here's what Booklist had to say: "Each of these stories is a window into a world where issues like climate change and food shortages are approached with a joyful creativity. The variety in character, narrative approach, and setting offers something to appeal to a wide variety of readers, especially those who look to anthologies to find new authors to follow."

And what Publishers Weekly said: “This anthology is a welcome relief from dysto
Forestofglory
I really want to like Solarpunk optimistic ecology focused SF seems very my thing but so far I've read two anthologies and it hasn't really clicked for me. This one was fine, but I never more than liked any of the stories and some I found bleak though not as bleak as the other solarpunk anthology I read. I really wanted to love this but it just wasn't to be.
Mike
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up primarily because of one of the authors, D.K. Mok, with whom I was in another anthology a couple of years back. I enjoyed her story in that collection, and also her novel, and expected that I'd enjoy this (which I did). Two of the other contributors are members of a writers' forum I participate in.

Like most anthologies, it turned out to be a mixed bag, though I liked most of the stories. The stories show a strong editorial hand in their selection, mostly being quite similar in
Jennifer Lee Rossman
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure, I'm one of the authors. But my rating is for the other 16 stories and the book as a whole. I didn't love all the stories, but I enjoyed them all.

"Caught Root" by Julia K. Patt
A sweet story but it ended just when I was getting into it.

"The Spider and the Stars" by D.K. Mok
Look out, Charlotte's Web. The literary world has another spider to ugly-cry over, and her name is Artemis. (Seriously. That plaque on the statue near the end. Too beautiful.)

"Riot of the Wind and Sun" by Jennif

• Apex Magazine Issue 56, January 2014
  • Sunvault: Stories of Solarpunk and Eco-Speculation
  • Best of Apex Magazine: Volume 1
  • Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World
Sarena Ulibarri attended the Clarion Workshop in 2014 and earned an MFA from the University of Colorado at Boulder. She's Editor-in-Chief of World Weaver Press.