Start by marking “Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God” as Want to Read:
Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God

Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God

"A distinctive voice somewhere between Mark Twain and Michel Montaigne" is how Psychology Today described A.C. Grayling. In Life, Sex, and Ideas: The Good Life Without God, readers have the pleasure of hearing this distinctive voice address some of the most serious topics in philosophy--and in our daily lives--including reflections on guns, anger, conflict, war; monsters, ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Life, Sex and Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life, Sex and Ideas

Start your review of Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God
Caroline
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miscellaneous
At college I was taught that philosophy is a discipline of ideas mashed out by great minds in academic institutions. These ideas eventually percolate down into general society and become part of our stockpile of 'common sense' attitudes.

For me that was the problem with this book. The book was published in 2003. Grayling has pretty liberal ideas. I have pretty liberal ideas. And nearly everything I read in this book has already percolated down into the circles I move in. So reading most of the es
Ryan Schiller
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be refreshing in that it tackled more prosaic aspects of life rather than the lofty, more abstract and theoretical topics covered in a book by say Dawkins or Hitchens.

Well worth the time overall, although Grayling's style is a bit more languid than the aforementioned Dawkins, and especially Hitchens. More commentary than combat.
Kent
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent collection of short essays by Grayling. It is filled with many thoughts on morals, values, and experiences that don't try to get you to agree with them, but rather make you reflect and form your own thoughts. As a Humanist, I found it very cathartic and thought-provoking, though you need not be a Humanist to enjoy this book.
David Msomba
Priceless, absolutely priceless

Prof.Grayling is arguably the undisputed grandmaster,when comes to educating the world on secular ethics,Humanist teaching and secular wisdom.

Taking lessons and inspirations from history,literature,philosophy and science,he delivers numerous essays on subjects ranging from sex,war crimes,modern slavery to capital punishment fasting and animal rights.

Many Essays in this book are thought provoking,educational with the intention of trying to challenge the status quo o
Jayne
Jul 07, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Words for a tired soul. A book you want to dip in and out of. It gets a key spot on my shelf.
Roshio
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Probably would have enjoyed it more if i wasn't forced to read it. Found him a bit judgemental and could also be repetitive. But interesting points did come up quite a few times in his essays.
Spencer Fancutt
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Unbelievably inaccurate title- sex and god are thrown in there to sell books perhaps, but there is very little of either in the book. What it does have though, is a collection of bite-sized essays on a wide range of big topics, some absolutely spot-on, some self-congratulatory, some unfocused and meandering, but all thought-provoking and educational. The breadth of Grayling's reading is so great that every essay turns you on to someone you really should have read (when you were twelve, if Grayli ...more
Eric Hollister
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, which I found in a clearance rack (some of the best books are found there!). I think the title is a bit misleading, as in this collections of essays there are very few that relate to sex or a life without God (although in a few he does not have kind words to say about religion, but he does support his arguments quite well, I think). I really enjoyed his defense of liberal education in the second essay, and I found a majority of the essays tho ...more
Juta
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this slowly over a month and really enjoyed it. Only a few essays were of little interest to me, basically they skipped over my head due to my lack of a classical education.

Grayling is by no means a strident voice for atheism, many essays didn't touch on either religion or the lack of. I wished a lot of them were longer, they just seemed to get started and arouse my interest when they were over. I will be on the look out for more of his writing as I like the way he makes me think, and som
Erickson
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, general
Quite broad, general and insightful. The writing feels as if the author is rambling nonsense at times and serious at other times, though it may be his technique in prompting the readers to conjure counterarguments or new ideas to support or disagree with whatever he writes. But precisely because of this that the honesty and straightforwardness of his writing is quite interesting and they make the book both a book for contemplation and leisure.
Amos
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars to this little thought provoking book filled with 3-4 pages essay's on a wide range of philosophical topics. The author never claims to have all of the answers- instead posing questions and theory's to be reflected and meditated upon later. Good stuff....
Lynley
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Although I agree in general on almost all of Grayling's points, I did find myself disagreeing on minor issues throughout.

I suppose the day I agree 100% with anyone is the day I've stopped thinking for myself.
Grace C
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A marvellous collection of short essays on things that matter the most to mankind: love, morality, religion, freedom and politics among other prominent topics. Elegantly written.
Nicole Labry
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ok, ok, I'm guilty of reading more than one book at a time. But this one is so easy to pick up just for a moment. It's comprised of very short (3 page average) essays about everything. I love it!
Maria Stevens
Collection of short philosophical musings. Pleasantly thought-provoking.
Liz
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like The Meaning of Things, these are short essays that are interesting and easygoing, but still stimulating if you're after something to ponder.
Roger
A.C. Grayling, along with Roger Scruton, are probably the best-known English philosophers of the current day, primarily due to their willingness to engage with the mainstream, via mass media and trade publishing. The Reason of Things is a compilation of Grayling's articles and book reviews for various English newspapers. These essays are grouped into various themed sections. Most of them are only a couple of pages long, and thus are not in-depth views of the problems discussed. For me, this was ...more
Rory Sheridan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be incredibly boring. I stopped about one-third through. I think this author's thoughts and opinions are under-developed. He pulls information partly from theoretical thought, partly from opinion and declares it as factual analysis. He spends an awful lot of time quoting and referencing works from "elitist culture" (as he calls it) while delving very little into actual philosophy about anything. It started to appear like it was written by a grumpy, cynical British man that l ...more
Wilder
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Life, sex, God, ideas, ideas, ideas, and ideas. There's a myriad of topics covered here and they're all opinion floated on little research, but it's interesting enough if you treat it like rambling conversation with an acquaintance.

I will say this guy has a very loose grip on scientific topics, though. Obnoxiously clueless about biology.
Ruth
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consisting of a collection of Grayling's regular 'Last Word' columns in the Guardian, this book offers reflections on topics that concern us all - for example ethics, voting, religion, evil, luxury, marriage, sex, liberty, justice and war. I took this book slowly, a few chapters at each sitting due to its heavy content - which I found to be both stimulating and thought provoking.
Ellie Maas
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring for essay/educational purposes regarding writing
Malola
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice short essaies.
I think I rather more explaining on topics, but Grayling is a good author.
Seema Singh
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this a few years back and decided to read it again. Definitely enjoyed it more the second time.
Steph
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one. Reminded me a bit.
LJ
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I hope my rating doesn't push any of you away...I loved this book. But I loved it even more the first time I read it, when it was called The Meaning of Things. Being a follower of Grayling's, I've read many of his previous titles ( see here). I was disappointed in this text, as it feels to repeat the same ideas as many of Grayling's work. This book is a collection of essays that seem to condense ancient and recent philosopher's (including Grayling's) ideas on different aspects of life; for examp ...more
Rebecca
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of essays by Grayling, a journalist, philosopher, and writer who's known for his secular humanist values. The essays cover a wide range of interesting topics, including meat, evil, luxury, games, marriage, teachers, voting, anger, guns, suicide, monsters, madness, and clones.

Grayling has a knack for achieving a skillful balance between extremes -- he writes confidently, but is not under the delusion that his opinion is the final word on anything; he is not afraid to de
Curtis
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: awesome
The latin quote in the front was enough to make this book buyable. This book is one of the best modern philosophy works I've ever read. Even if I didn't agree with his view (which was rare), I fully agreed with his reasoning and research. His views on sexuality (the repression of knowledge and creation of a sexually taboo society is what causes overpopulation and disease) are exactly what I believe and have been fighting for a long time. EVERYBODY should at least take a look at a chapter or two, ...more
Laura Santoski
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is formatted as a collection of very short (mostly 2-page) essays that were previously published by Grayling in a newspaper. Although the short essays might be interesting in a newspaper format, I didn't find it conducive to the book format - the essays were not long enough to adequately explore or present anything new about their topics.

Furthermore, I found Grayling's tone extremely aggravating. I am not religious, so I wasn't offended by his frequent religion-bashing, but he had an a
Robert
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I won't review the actual content of the book, as far as what I thought of the validity of what the author wrote, as I feel it would take away from what I liked about this book and is really a decision left to the reader.

While the author feels that religion is not a good thing, this is not a book saying, "You should be an atheist and here's why:", but rather a book of essays about various issues with points made that I found agreeable, and those I did not, some even in the same essay.

This book
Kelly
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book over about 6 months (and essay or two a day) and found that this collection of essays, ranging on topics from grief to philosophy to war to relationships, was a very interesting, enlightening, and thought-provoking collection of works. The author, a skillful writer and a bit of a name-dropper, even wrote an essay on the virtue and history of essays, which made me want to read more essays.

The title is terribly misleading...there are only a handful of references to a life without

• Nest
  • Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home
  • Sex, Love, and the Dangers of Intimacy: A Guide to Passionate Relationships When the Honeymoon Is Over
  • Uncle Tungsten
  • Atom: An Odyssey from the Big Bang to Life on Earth...and Beyond
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • The Dressmaker
  • A Bigger Picture
  • Unnatural Causes
  • Darwin's Garden
  • Art of Tibet
  • La tía Julia y el escribidor (Primer capítulo)
  • The Moon and Sixpence
  • The Hourglass Factory
  • The Days Are Just Packed
  • Lion Boy Trilogy (Books 1, 2 and 3) ((Book 1), Lion Boy: The Chase (Book 2) and Lion Boy: The Truth (Book 3))
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • The Point of View
Anthony Clifford "A. C." Grayling is a British philosopher. In 2011 he founded and became the first Master of New College of the Humanities, an independent undergraduate college in London. Until June 2011, he was Professor of Philosophy at Birkbeck, University of London, where he taught from 1991. He is also a supernumerary fellow of St Anne's College, Oxford.

He is a director and contributor at Pr

News & Interviews

“...mastery of the emotions is fundamental to a virtuous life.” 20 likes
“The media no longer hesitate to whip up lurid anxieties in order to increase sales, in the process undermining social confidence and multiplying fears.” 11 likes