Start by marking “Science Comics: Polar Bears: Survival on the Ice” as Want to Read:
Science Comics: Polar Bears: Survival on the Ice

Science Comics: Polar Bears: Survival on the Ice

(Science Comics)

Do you have what it takes to live in one of the harshest places in the world? What if you had just a couple years to gain the knowledge you'll need to survive on your own? Join two curious polar bear cubs as they play, hunt, and navigate life in the Arctic. With each season, they learn polar bear biology and behavior, as well as strategies and skills that will help them ...more
Published December 31st 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Science Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Comics

Start your review of Science Comics: Polar Bears: Survival on the Ice
Morgan
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really cute! Learned some stuff about polar bears I didn't know. I kind of feel sad now after reading this comic book. I don't want polar bears to become excited because of melting ice caps.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I really like the Science Comic Series. They cover many subject matters, but this one is about Polar Bears as well as what it takes to survive in the high north. It shares information about the formation of ice, the melting of the polar ice caps and global warming as well as what we can do to stop it. We learn about a polar bear family, how they live, what they eat, how they hunt and more. Buckle up as you read this adventure about Anik, Isla and their mother.

Join two curious polar bear cubs as
Janet
From the publisher ---

Do you have what it takes to live in one of the harshest places in the world? What if you had just a couple years to gain the knowledge you'll need to survive on your own? Join two curious polar bear cubs as they play, hunt, and navigate life in the Arctic. With each season, they learn polar bear biology and behaviour, as well as strategies and skills that will help them
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Science Comics: Polar Bears: Survival on the Ice by Jason Viola, illustrated by Zack Giallongo. 120 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL/ NON-FICTION First Second (Roaring Brook Press), 2019. $20.

Content: Language: G; Mature Content: G; Violence: PG.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

A mother polar bear is teaching her two bear cubs about how to survive. As she teaches them to hunt and build dens, she also explains different parts of the eco-system that affect their survival, such as
Jenni Frencham
Viola, Jason. Science Comics: Polar Bears: Survival on the Ice. First Second, 2018.

Science Comics is back again with another riveting adventure filled with facts about the life of polar bears. Follow two polar bear pups as they grow up, and learn about these fascinating creatures: their habitat, their habits, what they eat, and how we can protect them. Colorful illustrations and facts and details are great for readers who prefer nonfiction titles, and the graphic novel format makes this book
Barbara
I'd give this one a 3.5 and definitely add it to my classroom library if I were teaching middle grade science. Not only do readers learn essential facts about polar bears, but they learn about the different types of ice in their environment as well as what's underneath those ice floes. Readers also learn about how these impressive animals hunt for food and how contaminants and global warming is affecting them. Since the story follows a mother polar bear and her two young as they look for seals, ...more
Anne
Part of the Science Comics series
Using humor, brightly colored graphics, and apparently thorough research, this book gives an interesting while introductory look at the life of polar bears. Readers will be entranced by the antics of the twin polar bear cubs learning what it takes to survive on the ice. It also addresses the plight they face due to climate change but without taking away all hope. There are a few panels dedicated to some things humans can do to help the polar bears at the end.
Amber
I love Polar Bears! This book was fun to read and teaches so many wonderful and amazing things about Polar Bear.

It makes me sad to think that in the near future these amazing creatures might cease to exist. I know I will do all I can to help save this magnificent animal for future generations to enjoy.
H Grimes
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was trying to take this slow so I could savor it and completely failed! This is a graphic novel written from the perspective of a mama polar bear teaching her two cubs how to be polar bears. The result is a hugely entertaining, witty, adorable, and educational work of art. Not just for kids - I learned a lot!
JJ Dunaway
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful way to teach people about polar bears. I have read lots of books on polar bears but really enjoyed the humor in the comic used to explain the life of a polar bear as human science understands it and all without making the bears appear human in personality. I suggest people all ages read to learn and be entertained!
Francis S. Poesy
The perfect combination of words and pictures that communicate facts, funny, and heart. Another great entry in this series of STEM graphic novels! Zack Giallongo's lovable polar bears are full of movement and action in total harmony with the very readable and many times humorous prose of Jason Viola. First Second would be smart in teaming these two up again.
Cheriee Weichel
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictional story of two polar bear cubs is interspersed with factual information about their habitat and life cycle. What I appreciated most was how the authors made clear how climate change affects these animals.
Tanya
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and easy to understand for children. It's also entertaining enough for adults. You will feel as if you are learning and having a good time as you read.
Christy Willis
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graphic novel that provides interesting facts while still being fun to read. Good for third grade and up.
Awjtf
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of interesting
wildct2003
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the top books in the series. Fun to read storyline is excellently paired up with facts.
Melissa
Very good, I thought! Touched on human issues effecting them, pollution, climate change, etc., and what we can do to help; as well as the usual about how they live. I liked the premise of a mother bear teaching her two young cubs.

However, I didn't like the depiction of the tagged bear, and they left it to one of the notes at the end to explain tagging causes no harm and that bear was for comic relief... notes that I fear kids won't read, and will be left with a bad impression.
Earl
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fact filled installment in the Science Comics series. Not only will readers learn about polar bears but also about ice and seals. Probably included one of the goriest scenes in the series.
Kieran
Aug 19, 2019
Shelli Paroline
Jan 01, 2019
Tucker
Mar 20, 2019
Elissa
rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2019
Stephanie
Feb 18, 2019
Heidi
Feb 09, 2020
Jenny Yergin
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This comic book is amazing. As a former science teacher the content that this covers is fantastic and so on point for inquiring minds. As a librarian the format, the graphics and the content all work together perfectly. This series is popular at my library!
Zachary
Jan 28, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Max and the Midknights
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Maker Comics: Bake Like a Pro!
  • Gordon: Bark to the Future!
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel
  • The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)
  • Cyril and Pat
  • Superman of Smallville
  • Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Knights vs. Dinosaurs
  • The Giver: Graphic Novel
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Operatic
  • Field Trip
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Fallen Empires (Cleopatra in Space, #5)

Science Comics (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly