Start by marking “Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)” as Want to Read:
Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)

Hephaistos: God of Fire

(Olympians #11)

Thrown from Mount Olympus as a newborn and caught by Thetis and Eurynome, who raised him on the island of Lemnos, Hephaistos had an aptitude for creating beautiful objects from a very young age. Despite his rejection from Olympus, he swallowed his anger and spent his days perfecting his craft. His exquisitely forged gifts and weapons earned him back his seat in the heavens ...more
Published January 29th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Hephaistos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hephaistos

Start your review of Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)
Calista
I thought this story was excellent. I have loved this series so much and this was an excellent story of Hephaistos, one of the less popular gods. I haven't really heard many stories with a focus on him and this does a great job giving him an arc and connecting him to other stories. I love how the story of Prometheus and Pandora are weaved into this narrative. It's fantastic.

We see he divorces Aphrodite after being humiliated by her with ares. He is a pretty kick-ass god really. He took his plac
Ashley Owens
I received an electronic ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly learned more in this volume than I have for a long time. This is definitely in the top 3 favorite of this series for me.

I really liked hearing about Hephaestus' story, I knew basically nothing about it previously. And I'm glad we finally got to see Dionysus.

I'll definitely be buying a finished paper copy of this when it comes out! The last page had blank speech bubbles so I n
Morgan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another good volume. Hephaistos isn't my favorite, but I like him a lot more now. I have a soft spot for the underdogs. I love how the author admits his writing and art has improved since he started these...I agree. Still the best mythology comics out there. It sounds like volume 12 might be the last ending with Dionysus, I'm not 100% sure on that. I do wonder what his next project will be after this is over.
Neil
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
best one yet
Tracey
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series is really a fun read. I love the artwork and learning about the Greek gods. Hephaistos is usually the butt of the joke but I really sympathized with his story. He's just a guy trying to make the best of it. He keeps the peace with his parents and is a good husband to Aphrodite. No one seems to respect him, and that's a shame. The gods are known for being awful but he isn't really like them.

I also liked the side story of Prometheus and Pandora. Prometheus is really for hum
Becky B
It’s time to get to know Hephaistos, son of Zeus and Hera, rejected by Hera but then accepted back to Mount Olympus when his family realized his crafty skills were highly desirable. He shares ups and downs of his life while fixing Prometheus to a rock as punishment for upsetting Zeus. Along the way some of Prometheus’ story and Pandora’s are shared too.

Boy, Hephaistos’ story just highlights how dysfunctional Zeus and Hera’s family is. Poor guy is rejected by his mother because she th
Tom McDonald
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the penultimate installment from the Olympian series, we are now at a point where officially, we are tying loose ends. Hephaistos, like Hermes from Olympians 10, is a character who has been around since the very beginning of the series, but unlike the Trickster, the Blacksmith god has been nearly invisible. His last place of prominence -- if we are to call it such -- is in Ares, Olympians 7, where he acts on Hera's behalf against his perfidious war god brother and his faithless wife Aphrodite ...more
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I LOVE THESE BOOKS SO MUCH

For my thoughts on the series as a whole, check out my review on Hermes: Tales of the Trickster. On this book, however...

Again, I LOVED IT.

How is it O'Connor always has at least one story I've never heard of? When I was nine I would've claimed I knew every Greek myth there was... this guy is a genius, I swear.

I wish he included Hephaistos and Athena's "child" (though he mentioned this in the G(r)eek Notes) and Hephaistos eventual re
Doc
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in the time that Hephaistos (Hephaestus) was binding Prometheus to a mountain for his punishment from Zeus we get to experience various Greek mythologies intermingle in this comic primarily designed for younger readers. Among these are tales of our title character from his under appreciated birth all the way to how he finally gained respect from the other gods. Sharing his book Prometheus tells us about some of his life including how he stole fire from the gods for mankind, the temptation of ...more
Rod Brown
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Another fine entry in this quite wonderful series about Greek mythology. The cover would have us believe it is about the Greek god of the forge, Hephaistos, but Prometheus and his punishment for crimes against the gods steal the show and give the book its true fire.

Apparently, the series is wrapping up soon, but I'd love to see additional volumes or a spin-off of the many myths O'Connor has not yet had a chance to retell. Or perhaps a new series about the Norse, Native American or Egyptian pant
Kara
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myth, graphic-novel

Yay! My favorite of the Greek gods finally gets his book! And oh my, how human is his story as he struggles to impress the people who rejected him. The story of Prometheus is used as the frame story, and makes a good point of how mixed up Hephaestus is in that particular story. Loved the whole thing!
Lynda
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series.
Robert
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O’Connor’s series on the Olympians looks to be closing strong with this penultimate entry. The author takes full advantage of all the character development over the preceding 10 volumes and has the “main cast” interact delightfully, including a cheeky introduction of the debauched Dionysius.
Some of the art, particularly the facial expressions, was remarkably expressive and moving. It’s a shame this series will have to end soon, but it will be quite the legacy upon completion.

Between this series and Stephen F
Barbara
I'd give this one a 3.5, and I'm sad to see this series coming to an end. As another reviewer remarked, if nothing else, this graphic novel about the God of Fire highlights just how messed up the family dynamics were in Mount Olympus as Zeus dallies with woman after woman and Hera continues to berate him. Poor Hephaistos is duped by his beautiful wife Aphrodite who dallies with Ares while he's distracted with a task Ares has set him on. When he exacts revenge, he really exacts revenge, and it's ...more
Ron
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
O'Connor combines the story of Hephaistos with Prometheus in this volume about the Olympians. The art work over this series has improved as has the storytelling. If you like this series, you will enjoy this volume.
Alicia
GIVE ME ALL THE BOOKS. I hope O'Connor has another topic lined up of graphic novels because I will read them all too. I loved two things-- first the story and illustration again are spot-on and delightfully tragic and imaginative. Second, I love that I got to finish it and walk it over to a teacher obsessed with mythology who literally exploded at the sight of it for excitement. And her students check them out because of her love for them and their adoration for the stories too. It's a win all a ...more
Amanda
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will really miss this series. These volumes have great stories but the back matter is pure gold. The notes particularly are tiny slices into O'Connor's process and research and I adore them. The art is also, always fantastic. Highly recommend.
Deborah
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent of course. Impressive because Hephaistos (Hephaestus) is usually characterized as the Eeyore of the Olympians, but O'Connor manages to show how the story can be interpreted to make him the master of his own destiny (and his parents somewhat bumbling fools). Very cool intertwining of his story with Prometheus'.
Brenda
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A terrific (maybe) end to a great series that share mythology in graphic novel format. They connect kids to Percy Jackson and to cultural references they'll need for understanding in the future. One of my favorite in the series.
Jenni Frencham
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
O'Connor, George. Hephaistos: God of Fire. First Second, 2019.

This eleventh installment in George O'Connor's Olympians series focuses on Hephaistos, with a side plot surrounding the story of Prometheus. Full-color illustrations draw the eye to the page, and the action-filled plot will have readers turning pages to discover what happens next. The end matter includes information about various titans and gods and other information regarding particular panels throughout the story.
Janet
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the publisher ---

Soobie's scared
I'd never have thought I would like it this much: this is acutally the only 4-star rating I've ever given to O'Connor's. Hephaistos's never been of one my favorite god but the author managed to bring a new side of him to light.

He never gives up. He's got a bit of a temper but it only comes out when he's really really mad. For instance, when he catches Aphrodite cheating on him with Ares. And I think that using Prometheus' myth to help telling the story was a great trick.

And, well, I also appre
Nikki
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting for this one for about three years, so maybe that's skewed my expectations a little. This is as solid as the others, don't get me wrong - I l o v e George's art and his narrative ability; he's so much more respectful of Greek religion than most other contemporary writers. There were moments that seemed...noticeably skewed toward "gag" humor, though. I loved the synopsis and was sure that with Hephaistos telling his own story, especially without the narrative of victimization, t ...more
Kristin
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Not one of the better volumes in the series. Like Hera's installment, it spends more time profiling other characters than the title character and the word balloons and text boxes are much larger than then they need to be, clogging panels with lots of extra white space in a poor attempts to disguise the lack of background detail.
Kris Springer
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The final title in the Olympians series—these books are a great way to experience the Greek Gods & Goddesses. Each of the 11 titles focuses on a god or goddess and tells the most important, revealing stories about them. Besides getting to know Hephaistos, God of Fire, the reader also meets Prometheus, his brother Epimetheus, and his wife Pandora. Good storytelling and great art.
Kirsten
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Still a big fan of this series! I especially like the structure here, going back and forth between Hephaistos and Prometheus.
Alicia
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, eng-471
Hephaistos wasn’t born pretty. In fact, he was quite deformed. So, Hera and Zeus threw him off Mount Olympus as a baby. Because of this, his resentment for the other Gods was always strong, but deep down he just wanted to find a place back on Mount Olympus. While he does find his way back to Mount Olympus, he loses his spot again. Will he be able to secure a throne up there once and for all, or is he doomed to hide away on Earth for the rest of his immortal life?

This book is suitable for young
Anne
Hephaistos was the unwanted son of Zeus and Hera. In fact, Hera threw him out the window when he was born because she said he was ugly and misshapen - plus Zeus was off philandering while she was laboring with him... Hephaistos spent much of his life trying to prove something to himself as well as the rest of the gods even though he could create incredible things at his forge.
A side story included here is the one about Prometheus and Epimetheus as it shows Hephaistos chaining Pro
Yep, it's official: I need to get the full set of these when First Second releases a boxed set (they'd better!).

Funnily enough, I only just realized that O'Connor is the same author/artist who did Journey into Mohawk Country. I far prefer the art style in Olympians...which seems odd to me, since it's the same artist, but there you go.

One thing that had always struck me about Hephaistos was that, at least according to the book I first read about Greek myths, Aphrodite chose him to be he
Angie
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
My Review: I have really enjoyed this series of Graphic Novels, but I have to say I was a little disappointed with this one. It was quite a bit shorter than the others in the series but I think there is so much more that could have been done with Hephaistos' story. Granted much we know about Hephaistos is interwoven into other myths but he does appear in many of them and I would have liked to see some of those brought up in this one. With that said it was still a great volume, I still love the art styl ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Iliad
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Stargazing
  • The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel
  • Super Sons: The Polarshield Project
  • Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • The Breakaways
  • It's Me. (Catwad, #1)
  • Guts
  • The Okay Witch
  • Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther (Shuri, #1-5)
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • The Giver: Graphic Novel
  • Apocalypse Taco
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in

Olympians (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)