Start by marking “A Soldier and a Liar” as Want to Read:
A Soldier and a Liar

A Soldier and a Liar

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  70 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In a world on the brink of war, four superpowered teens must learn to work together for peace in Caitlin Lochner's action-packed debut novel, A Soldier and A Liar.

Lai Cathwell is good at keeping secrets. As a Nyte, a supernaturally gifted teenager who is feared and shunned by the ungifted, this skill is essential to survival. Orchestrating her own imprisonment to escape m
Published February 19th 2019 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about A Soldier and a Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soldier and a Liar

really liked it 4.00  ·

Ashlee » Library In The Country
YASSSS SQUAD 🙌🏻
Dianne
Four gifted teens will learn the meaning of teamwork in order to prevent a war that could end the world and one of them may be the prophesied to make the ultimate sacrifice…

Caitlin Lochner’s A SOLDIER AND A LIAR is an action-packed tale where coming of age can be deadly for those who are “gifted” with special abilities, expected to save their world, yet are shunned by the normal around them.

Brilliantly colored characters, a plot that shines with imagination and an author who has brought it all t
Samantha Hastings
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hunger Games meets X-Men in this unique and highly addictive read.

In a post apocalyptic world, there are two kinds of people Etiole and Nyte. Etioles are more numerous and run the Council and army. Nytes are gifted. They heal faster and have unique abilities, because of this, they’re forced to join the military at a young age.

Lai is a former soldier who has spent the last 2 years in prison. At least that’s what the Council thinks. In reality, she’s used her telepathic powers to work for and re
B.R. Myers
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a society ruled by the Council, a special force of gifted teens are assembled to fight an emerging underground cell of rebels.

Lai is a former soldier who hides her telepathic ability, using it to her advantage against those she doesn’t trust—practically everyone. When she meets Jay, her new commander, a brilliant yet humble military figure, Lai begins to realize trusting a stranger might be the hardest part of the mission.

Jay exists to bear the weight of his father’s expectations and has nev
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
This book had great characters, but horrifically bad worldbuilding.

It's told in dual first-person perspective by Lorelei 'Lai' Cathwell and Jay Kitahara, a pair of Nytes - meaning people born with special powers. She's a telepath, and he's an empath who can also tell if someone's lying. They're in the army in the service of Etioles, non-gifted people, who vastly outnumber Nytes; the current threat at the moment is rebel Nytes, who want to overthrow the Etioles and end the discrimination faced
laura (littlepiecesofbooks)
3.5 stars.
It has the found family trope, and it's done pretty well. I loved the way this trope was written!

But overall, this was a slightly interesting story. The premise is great and I love the whole idea with superpowers. It's your typical dystopian with powers and having ungifted humans vs. gifted humans, but it does have its own twists on everything that makes the story worth the read.

It was quite slow for me in the beginning, but I really did enjoy the characters. They get much better thro
Katherine Paschal
Come join me at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Lia has spent the last two years locked away in prison, but what nobody knows is that she sneaks out at night to help the underground group of Nyte's who long for peace and acceptance in a world that calls them "demons". When the General she use to fight for asks her to come back to the war effort and stop the rebel Nytes, she agrees, mainly as a way to gather more information for her group. Jay just wants to make himself useful and follow ord
Tonja Drecker
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading the blurb, I knew I had to get my hands on this book, and I was not disappointed.

Lai's world is broken into two sorts of humans, those with powers and those without. Those with powers, the Nytes, are shunned, mistreated and mistrusted. Although Lai, a Nyte who is a telepath, was a top solider in the military of the normal humans, she was thrown into prison thanks to a small crime. She sneaks out and secretly works for the Order, a growing underground society which strives for a pea
Cassie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
It has been so long since I have read a dystopian novel and A Soldier and a Liar was the perfect book to fall back into the genre. Providing a futuristic setting where the world is in disarray and people are fighting to survive, this book provides an outlet for multiple characters to shine brightly in two main perspectives of gifted soldiers: Lai and Jay.

One of my favorite aspects of A Soldier and a Liar is that the world development is articulated and molded so well, which allows the pacing of
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Stephanie
Cover Story: Don’t Go Into The (Generic) Light
BFF Charm: Meh x2
Swoonworthy Scale: 2
Talky Talk: Fine But Forgettable
Bonus Factors: Superhuman Powers
Relationship Status: Swipe Left

Read the full book report here.
Teenreadsdotcom
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Caitlin Lochner’s debut novel, A SOLDIER AND A LIAR, spins a thrilling story shrouded in suspenseful mystery. Humanity lives in domed cities, sheltered from the toxic, post-apocalyptic world outside. The cities, called Sectors, are governed by High Councils and protected by the military. Strangely and without warning, two decades ago, children with superpowers, or Nytes, began arising in the Sectors. Fearing the capabilities of Nytes the non-superpowered majority, or Etioles, began to establish ...more
T.H. Hernandez
I wasn’t sure what to make of A SOLDIER AND A LIAR at first. It starts off slow and the characters are difficult to relate to, but I’m glad I stuck it out. The story and character development really picks up at about the 50% mark and takes off after that. Lai Cathwell is 17-year-old superpowered soldier. She and fellow young adults, Al (Johann), Erik (Mendel), and Jay (Kitahara) form an unlikely team of enhanced humans known as Nytes, on a mission to take out an elite squad of rebel Nytes determ ...more
Lindsay
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Lai decides to leave prison and rejoin the military, she doesn't know she's going to be part of a small task force consisting of Nytes. Nytes have a special ability and can function outside the domed sectors of this dystopian world. The Etoiles (French for "stars") are what's left of humankind, make up the majority of the population, and fear the Nytes due to their abilities. Lai is paired up with Jay, Al, and Erick to assist the military in secret missions against the Rebels--the Nytes who ...more
Jackie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads, sci-fi
A book that has all the elements for a fast paced, sci fi adventure but ended up falling flat.

“A Solider and a Liar” follows Lai, a gifted telepath who went to prison to escape the military and Jay an officer looking to bring her back for a mission to eliminate rebel threats with a team of other gifted soldiers, but as secrets are revealed and old friends come back with a hunger for violence Lai must decide which team she wants to fight for.

There were so many moments in this book where I thoug
Barbara
Lai Cathwell has the ability to read the thoughts of others, a gift that comes in handy in everyday life but also in the many conflicts that face her. After she is recruited for a special mission by an old acquaintance, she must use her abilities to pull this most unlikely team together. As they train together, the four members of the team grow closer in some ways while also continuing to hold tightly to some of their secrets. In many ways, the book brought to mind Kristin Cashore's Graceling se ...more
Tamara Morning
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: A Soldier and a Liar
Author: Caitlin Lochner
Genre: YA, fantasy
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Lai is a Nyte, a supernaturally gifted teenager with abilities that frighten the Etioles without abilities—but with numbers and power on their side. Lai is in prison: by her own choice and for her own reasons. Going back to the military is not what she had in mind, but when a chance to join a special team of Nytes comes her way, she decides that it might suit her own agenda perfectly, if she keeps the truth o
Shelee at Book Reader Chronicles
**3.5/4 Stars**

A Soldier and a Liar was a unique and action-packed story with a mixture of sci-fi and dystopia. Each character held depth and felt fully realized, standing within this world on their own two feet with a purpose. There was such an instinctual relatability with Lai’s character—even with her gifts—with how any reader could understand her wants and struggles in her divided nation. And seeing the dynamic of her and her unlikely crew being forced to work together became the best part
Anie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi
Received from Xpresso Book Tours

A Soldier and a Liar is such a good story, one of those books that you have to read in one sitting. The structure, the setting, the characters, all amazing. :)

Different points of views really work in the story. It was so interesting to see Lai's point of view, on one hand, to see how she sees a world and then, on the other hand, to see how the world perceives her.

The magical system is well thought out and very intriguing. I loved all the different superpower and
Justin
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I recieved an ARC from a goodreads giveaway. This started out great. The characters were jumping off the page and the pacing was perfect. Then the story hit a snag somewhere and things slowed down and started to drag a bit. I felt like some of the plot felt more formulaic than original, and I think that's where I struggled with this story. I felt like I had read it before. All in all it was good and if it gets a sequel I will read it.
Sam Taylor
I really enjoyed this! It's a fun read about a group of teens with superpowers--and all of them with secrets--trying to find a place for themselves in a world where society doesn't trust people like them. These four wind up in the same troop in the military and have to find a way to work together. A fast-paced and exciting read.
Christine
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: galley, ya
I would liken this book to The Darkest Minds mixed with X-Men in terms of how the Nytes are treated and still teenagers/young adults.

It was just okay. I never really connected with Lai or Jay, and the world wasn't well explained (or laid out), so I probably won't pick up the second book. (And there will be a second book because of how this one ended.)
Jessica Pinkley
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new young adult novel that all are sure to enjoy, A Soldier and A Liar is about four unlikely partners that work together to overcome a common foe. I loved reading this book and kept going back to it time and time again instead of other responsibilities! 5/5 Loved!
Jennifer Wrage
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Note: I won this book on goodreads.com.

I love the premise of this book. Good vs. evil is always exciting. I have to admit, I am still reeling from the ending. I don't like it! I guess there needs to be a sequel! Those of you that enjoy just a touch of futurism, this is a good one for you!
Kimberly Karalius
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhh I really loved this book! The characters really make it wonderful and I feel like I know Lai, Jay, Al, and Erik so well and I would follow them anywhere to find out what happens to them.
Trisha
Great action-y plot, strong characters, guessing it's a number one. Slight niggle, not sure the title really fits (they ALL lie... they are all soldiers.. hmmm).

Ellen
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God. This book was fantastic! Reminded me of young X-Men in a distopian world. I loved the concept, the execution, everything! Praying for a sequel because this first book was AMAZING!
Breane Ross
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received an arc from netgalley. REALLY glad I asked for this book. Awesome characters and action. Highly recommend it!
Jenna
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
OK, I wanted to love this book but it was predictable and even though the premise sounded good the execution was meh.
Suzanne Schick rivera
Lai is fierce, conflicted, and as stubborn as I like my heroines to be. She is trying to find the balance between two worlds and save the day. When she is thrust back into a teamwork situation she has to learn to trust her fellow super-powered teammates.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
For the last two and a half years Lai has been pulling people together to form the Order, a group of people made up of Nytes, Nytes are people with special abilities who the Etiole want to get rid of. She has been doing all of this while doing time in prison.

The Etiole are afraid of the Nytes and want to get rid of them and will do whatever it takes to do just that. War is imminent between the two groups if they can’t figure out a way to end it before it even begins.

Lai was a military officer
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Rift
  • Malice
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • All the Ways to Here
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Special
  • Flying Tips for Flightless Birds
  • Waer
  • Outwalkers
  • Mind Games
  • The Bone Charmer
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Because of You