Start by marking “The Little Guys” as Want to Read:
The Little Guys

The Little Guys

An adorable cautionary tale from Caldecott Honoree Vera Brosgol

We are the Little Guys.
Yes, we are small. But there are a lot of us.
Together we are strong, and we can get all we need.

The Little Guys might be small, but they aim to be mighty.

As they head off to find breakfast, they can conquer anything through teamwork―cross deep waters, dig through obstacles, and climb the
Published April 2nd 2019 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Little Guys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Guys

Start your review of The Little Guys
Carmen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
You are looking at the strongest guys in the whole forest.

Down here.

On this island.

So begins THE LITTLE GUYS, a kind of surprising tale from Vera Brosgol. At first, I thought it was empowering.

We are the Little Guys.

Yes, we are small. But there are a lot of us.

Together we are strong, and we can get all we need.

We can cross deep water where you can't see the bottom.

Off to find breakfast for the Little Guys.

We never get lost in the big, dark forest.

Nothing to fear for the Little Guys.

Things were
Calista
The little guys are kind of pushy and a little mean. They basically steal all the food in the forest from the animals and hoard it for themselves until they learn a little lesson. They are very tiny, but stick together which makes them very mighty. They become bully’s.

I don’t know if I like the story or not. It’s great to see what one can accomplish as a group, but they are mean in that group as well. This is a beginning story and I’m not sure it gets the point across at the end enough to show
Tatiana
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
These little guys are greedy bullies, and the story never addresses this fact. Even my 6-year old knew something was very wrong with this whole thing.

Beautiful illustrations, as always, from Vera Brosgol.
Abigail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Vera Brosgol Fans / Readers Looking for New Picture-Books About Teamwork & Community
Author/artist Vera Brosgol, who was awarded a Caldecott Honor for her picture-book, Leave Me Alone! , returns to the form in this new title. The eponymous Little Guys in this cautionary tale relate how they meet the challenges of life in the forest, working together to do big things, from lifting massive objects out of their way to finding enough food to feed themselves. But when they become greedy, and want everything they see, they find themselves taking a fall. With the help of the other ...more
Jon Nakapalau
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book that looks at the dark side of team work - for children - but much managerial wisdom here for corporations.
Chance Lee
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Brosgol's newest picture book is about a horde of tiny little sentient acorns who take everything they can in the forest, even if it means beating up bears to do it. The greedy little bastards demonstrate the dangers of mob mentality. When they try to take too much, they lose it all and realize the error of their ways. The animals they stole from end up helping them.

The Little Guys' mindset makes a 180 so fast I didn't understand why or how they changed their minuscule minds, making the happy
La Coccinelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Sorry, but I don't get it. The Little Guys are a bunch of greedy parasites who destroy the homes of the rest of the woodland creatures in their attempt to amass everything. When they go too far, the rest of the creatures help them. It makes no sense. It would be like someone treating their termites as pets and feeding them their prized rocking chair. When a bunch of tiny, unstoppable creatures threatens your own existence, you don't stop to help them; you call a freaking exterminator.

I don't
KC
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Um. Not sure what I just read. Not what I expected... AT. ALL. Loved the illustrations but it appeared that these acorns were bullies and thieves. Two stars because of the artwork.
Cristina Quattrone
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sweetest book, with a twist in the theme. Yes, cooperation can get you anything, and you are stronger together...but taking and winning isn’t everything. Love the nuanced message.
Jason
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now that was interesting! I wasn't expecting it to go the direction it did. It starts off with a "we're little, but together we are strong" motif, which is fairly standard. But then it gets suddenly intense with the little guys using their unified strength to harass the animals of the forest and take most of resources. This is NOT something you typically see in picture books. Of course, their greed leads to their downfall and they learn a valuable lesson about not abusing their power. I feel ...more
Effie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this humorous story the little guys show their strength in numbers, but absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yes, their behavior is bad, but I like a picture book that generates discussion so I think there's something good here.
Mitchell
Odd little over-achieving forest creatures are basically bullies. Until their food pile and them end up everywhere and need rescuing. Yeah, whatever. Color me disappointed, I expected better. Writing was repetitive, art was okay.
Emily
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddo-books
The Little Guys live on an Island in the middle of the stream in the middle of the forest. As long of this band of acorn wearing little guys stick together they can do anything, even though they are small. A totally enjoyable book about teamwork.
Kathy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
Simple words, where the pictures tell a lot of the story with some fairly complex ideas, make this appropriate for early readers. Ideas of fairness, and helping others, and greed should gnerate lots of discussion opportunities for preschoolers and their adult readers.
Laura Harrison
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Great illustrations.
paula
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
100 hearts for this entertaining parable! And for Vera’s gorgeous saturated watercolors and adorable creatures.
Michele Knott
I love this book for the mentor text possibilities. Add this to your collection for talking about good and bad character traits, perspective of characters, and talking about the message of a story.
ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️
Sooo......This is one of those wtf moments where I read something and I literally could not even find one thing to like about this other than the illustrations. These little brats go around stealing animals food and messing things up so they can get to said food. They act like the seagulls in finding nemo except less cute or friendly.

The whole book they just steal and talk about how great they are. They talk about being able to beat up bigger animals. And they keep chanting "We are the little
Tasha
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The Little Guys are very small but when they work together they can do almost anything! Using leaves to float, they cross deep water. In the big forest, they hold hands to stay together and keep from being afraid. They find berries and form a stack to reach them. But as they continue their search for more and more food, they start using their combined strength in a way that upsets the rest of the forest. Chipmunks go flying, owls get forced out of their nests, and they even beat up a bear! Soon ...more
Jim
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
L.A. Shine
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This picture book was so adorable! It’s illustrations are simple but cute, I’m not 100% sure what “The Little Guys” represented, to me they looked like tiny mushrooms with big noses which I feel was the purpose but unsure. I still loved how they were drawn though.

Everything else was drawn spot on with a little cartoonish vibe.

The store was cute but also had something to teach. If anyone is looking for a new cute picture book I would definitely
Tina
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: wonder-years
I'm not 100% sure the message in this is exactly what we should take from it? It is a nicely illustrated work. "The Little Guys" show how working together to accomplish much with being so little is important. However, what comes across slightly is that "The Little Guys" seem to be greedy and want too much, until they suffer a fall. They get back up again...however, the message here seems a little too much about the world as it is and not as much as what we would like our youngest to become. ...more
Raven Black
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
People are going to LOVE this book. It is about being greedy and learning how to be happy with what you have, but also how to be kind and share. The story has been done before, there are no surprises. However, the art was fun to look at and follow the story with.
Racheal
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ouch, I normally love Vera Brosgol's books but this was a dud for me. I was confused as to who "the little guys" were supposed to be, and the theme (greed backfires, it's better to share) has been done hundred times over to better effect. Cute pictures on nice, matte paper, though..
Juli Anna
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I found the allegory here puzzling, possibly because the common cultural assumption is that the "little guy" is usually the good guy. The illustrations are charming and humorous, though.
Viviane Elbee
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kids enjoyed this story, about a group of little guys who work together to get everything... and become a bit too greedy. The artwork is fun - the little guys almost look like acorns.
Woolsoup
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was so excited for her new book. The illustrations are delightful. Extremely disappointed at the message that beating up perceived threats is a mighty thing to do. I’m not sure what their problem was with the bear at the river minding its own business catching fish. It could have been so much better if they found a way to work together to get the fish from the bear in more kind way. As I read the book out loud & got to the double spread page where it needs to be rotated 90 one of the kids ...more
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I admire a lot about this book. Brosgol's art is gorgeous. I nearly swooned at the first page that begins,
"You are looking at strongest guys in the whole forest.
Down here.
On this island. "
These words take us from the top of the page, to the middle, and finally to the bottom where what we see looks like a deserted island.
I'm not sure if making a connection between these little creatures and the Wee Free Men of Terry Pratchett's novels is a good or bad thing. I loved Pratchett's creatures but
Emily
Apr 19, 2019 added it
teamwork, being small you can accomplish big things together, but don't be greedy!
Ms. B
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture
Looking for a new book about sharing? This story about what happens to the (view spoiler)by the talented Vers Brosgol will fit the bill.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Music for Mister Moon
  • River
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Field Trip to the Moon
Vera Brosgol was born in Moscow, Russia in 1984 and moved to the United States when she was five. She received a diploma in Classical Animation from Sheridan College, and currently works at Laika Inc. in Portland, Oregon drawing storyboards for feature animation.

She has done illustration work for clients such as Nickelodeon, Sony Computer Entertainment, and Simon & Schuster. Her first graphic