Start by marking “The Hummingbird Dagger” as Want to Read:
The Hummingbird Dagger

The Hummingbird Dagger

1833. After young Lord James Ellerby witnesses a near-fatal carriage accident on the outskirts of his estate, he doesn't think twice about bringing the young woman injured in the wreck to his family's manor to recuperate. But then she finally regains consciousness only to find that she has no memory of who she is or where she belongs.

Beth, as she takes to calling herself,
Published April 16th 2019 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Hummingbird Dagger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hummingbird Dagger

Stacee
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve enjoyed all of the Cindy’s previous books and considering the murder aspect of this one, I was all in. Sadly, I’m wondering if 3 stars is too high of a rating.

I liked Beth and James well enough. It’s an interesting set up and I enjoyed seeing their relationship grow as they leaned on each other. Caroline was a lovely friend and I liked how supportive and accepting she was. The characters were easy to root for, yet also a little flat.

Plot wise it was a struggle. It was quite boring and fel
Alyssa
Aug 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Yaaaasss, OF COURSE I want to read Cindy Anstey's next book???? DUHHHH???? 😍😍😍😍
Jessie_Book
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book starts with a bang and the rest is basically a whimper. If your into flat characters sitting around talking to each other the way I imagine robots do this is the book for you. There is no emotion on a single page. None of the characters have chemistry together making every conversation painfully boring to read. The brother of the main guy in the book was the only interesting one but thats not saying much, I can't even remember his name. There is a mystery element that is kind on intere ...more
Kayla Brunson
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as dnf
I have been “reading” this book for about three weeks now. I have dropped and picked this book up quite a few times. I think it’s about time to call it quits and DNF. I read up to about 48% of the book and NOTHING was happening. It was just a ton of dialogue.

I did like the idea of the book and love a good Regency novel, but the execution wasn’t very good for me.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Cindy Anstey's latest novel The Hummingbird Dagger caught my attention when I saw it described as Regency literature for YA.  You all may remember I decided to give the YA genre a fair shot last year and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

So when I saw a book written in the style of Jane Austen full of mystery, mistaken identity, and an MC in grave danger who has lost her memory, I was all in.

The new Lord James Ellerby is stunned to witness his young brother Walter racing carelessly into t
Bitchin' Reads
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Oh man, I finished this days ago and forgot to update the status. It was an interesting story. Reads like a murder mystery written in the same style as Austen, Bronte, and their contemporaries. It was slow to start, but by the halfway mark it really picked up.
Becca | Pages & Postcards
Jun 28, 2018 marked it as to-read-long-list
I don't know much about this book but that cover *gasp*
Sami
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A heart-racing Regency mystery with memory loss, kidnappings, and, of course, a breathtaking romance. Anstey has hit her stride in the Regency rom-com genre, so this change of pace into the slightly macabre was a pleasant and welcome surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed every twist, turn, and scandalous forehead kiss in this daring addition to Antsey's repertoire.
Victoria
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own
I think my rating for this one is more of a 2.5 stars.
I was excited to get this as a GR giveaway. I was looking forward to a fun Victorian England mystery.
I loved the title.
The cover is gorgeous.

Turns out, those are my only favorite things about this book.

The story starts off with the proverbial bang.
Then slows down.
Maybe speeds up... but doesn't.
Maybe speeds up again... nope.

It's not until about chapters 22 & 23 do things get going... (there are 24 chapters with a prologue & an epi
Paige Green
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received this book from Swoon Reads and Netgalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 1.5/5

Publication Date: April 16, 2019

Genre: Mystery Romance

Recommended Age: 15+ (lots of dialogue and a murder)

Publisher: Swoon Reads

Pages: 352

Amazon Link

Synopsis: 1833. After young Lord James Ellerby witnesses a near-fatal carriage accident on the outskirts of his estate, he doesn't think twice about bringing the young woman injured in the wreck to his family's manor t
Morrisa
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve ready two of Cindy Anstey’s books before, and I’m absolutely ADDICTED. I love her writing style and her choice of time period. This novel had much more mystery and brutal-ness to it than her other novels. I also flew through reading this, it took me like two or three days. When books have mysteries in them I tend to fly through like no tomorrow to try and figure everything out.

My only critique regarding the plot was that there were way too many names and characters involved in the plot. Esp
Samantha Hastings
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A young woman is injured in a carriage accident and has amnesia. She’s taken in by Lord James Ellerby and his sister Caroline. At first, they think she’s a servant, but they realize that she’s educated. Who is she really? And why was she covered with cuts and bruises?

What I loved ❤🖤❤:
1. The plot moves very quickly, starting with the carriage crash. The mystery unfurls piece by piece with several red herrings and false identities.
2. Beth (the name the young woman chooses) has terrible nightmare
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Received advance reader’s copy from publisher through Baker & Taylor book supplier. Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Lord James Ellerby witnesses a carriage accident and brings a severely injured young girl to his manor to heal. As she recovers and finds she has lost her memory, her behaviors offer the only clue to her identity as it shows her to be a woman of education and good upbringing. As James and his sister Caroline work to help the woman who calls herself Beth recover her memory, more and mo
Lauren - SERIESous Books
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. This is a voluntary review; all opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I was really excited to see what Cindy Anstey would do with a slightly darker novel...and I was certainly NOT disappointed! It has all the charm of her previous novels with the right dash of suspense and mystery to keep you hooked.

It is very reminiscent of Victorian era murder mysteries. It's a lot of dialogue at times but I enjoyed the banter b
Dayle (the literary llama)
An entertaining read with a nice plot that became better and better as the book went on, though the beginning was a little slow.

The only standout character, however, was the younger brother, Walter. The rest of the main characters were just average and bland. They didn’t have any unique characteristics or mannerisms, leaving an underdeveloped feeling to them. Any quirks of speech or appearance all went to the secondary characters.

The mysteries were compelling, though, and kept me reading and in
Rachel
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I appreciated the shift in genre, this was not my favorite of Ms. Anstey's work. Bits of it are awfully repetitive (and often not in a way that propels the plot) and the writing is awkward in places. The cover is fabu, the plot is interesting and the characters (at least the ones who are supposed to be likeable) are likeable. It's worth a read for young adults who like historical fiction and mystery.
Lisa Mandina
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5 stars. Full review to come.
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Mystery
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

The Hummingbird Dagger, by author Cindy Anstey, is a young adult mystery standalone that takes place in 1833 England. Historians call it the Regency Era. The story follows members of the Ellerby household (Lord James, Caroline, and younger brother Walter), after they find an unconscious young woman after a carriage accident, and decide that they will take her in and help discover her who she is, and why she doesn't have any memo
Isabel Ibañez
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun, entertaining read! Spooky of course, and different from the author’s other books. I am such a sucker for mysteries, anything remotely English or resembling a Jane Austen novel. And really, that’s what this book felt like: a blend of Jane Austen, Jack the Ripper, and your favorite cozy mystery. While the cast is large, everyone felt realized and fully drawn, and I enjoyed the different POV shifts.

The romance was lovely, and sweet and a perfect subplot to the darker tones of murder, m
Leah
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the idea of The Hummingbird Dagger by Cindy Anstey. It seemed like it would be a mix between a Jane Austen novel and a suspenseful murder mystery. I was even more excited by the intense look of the cover. The title's font and the silhouettes make you want to dive right in!

I received an ARC through Netgalley for an honest review of the book. It will be coming out in April of this year but you can preorder the book already here.

A terrible carriage accident brings an unconscious youn
Allyson
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Sadly missing the playfulness of Anstey's previous works. The Hummingbird Dagger suffers from a surfeit of stiltedness, along with flat, uninspired characters. The constant jumps between POV are unsettling, to say the least.

Provided with a free e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Nicole
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 stars, rounded up to 3 since Math.

The Hummingbird Dagger is a Regency-esque YA novel. It pretty much has all of the tropes you would expect a novel set in this era to have. But, for whatever reason, this novel fell really flat to me. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge Austen fan (le gasp and whatnot, I know), but I just didn't really enjoy this read.

I think part of my issue with the book isn't with the writing/author as muc
Ashley
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
See the full review here.

Sometimes you just need a nice historical romance to curl up with and forget about all the bad things in life.

England! 1833! William IV is king! Pelerines, low waistlines and giant sleeves are all the rage! There’s imperialism! Debates to abolish slavery throughout the Empire! Everybody had tuberculosis! 20-year-old Lord James Ellerby is still reeling from the accident that killed his father a year prior, and struggling with all the responsibilities that come with being
Amy A
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
When his brother causes a carriage accident near his estate, James Ellerby, does what any good person would do: he takes the only injured passenger, a young lady, to his home to recuperate. But as the lady begins to awaken so does the realization that she cannot remember who she is or the circumstances the put her on the carriage to wherever it was going.

Beth (the only name that came to mind when asked) is terrified of what happened to her before she wound up on the Ellerby estate. The replayin
Tonja Drecker
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fans of Jane Austen, who enjoy a bit of a spooky mystery, will love diving into this one.

James' reckless younger brother takes a wild ride with his horse and buggy, causing an accident. Luckily, no one seems injured except for a young woman traveling without a chaperone on the carriage to London. As Lord of the nearby manor, the young James rushes to help her and allows her to stay at the manor while she receives medical attention. But she appears to have lost her memory as well. The only thing
Candyce Kirk
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I've previously read Cindy's other books and thought they were entertaining. The Hummingbird Dagger also caught my attention. Memory loss, murder and mystery sound like the perfect combination.

The Hummingbird Dagger starts off pretty intense. An accident at night, an injured woman and some circumstances that don't seem proper. I love reading books that are set in the fast, because it's always fun to read about how things were done and how things we don't even think of these days are frowned upon
Jen's  Unique Reads
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-books, fiction
First, I want to thank Swoon and Netgalley for this advanced copy.

This book is set in Welford Mills, 1833.

It's starts off with Walter Ellerby and young Henry Thompson acting like young boys as they ran a carriage off the road. In the carriage, a young woman by the name of "Beth" hits her head and suffers from complete amnesia. Lord James Ellerby scolds his younger brother Walter and Henry for acting so juvenile. James calls Dr. Brant to attend to the young woman, "Beth." Carolyn Ellerby, the o
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

After two books by this author I think I've come to the conclusion that the writing style just isn't for me. For some reason, I just don't click with the characters and I find myself zoning out when trying to read.
Perhaps some of my problem is that with the cover (which is amazing btw) and the synopsis, I really thought this would be a more intense read. The synopsis says "Beth slowly begins to
Debbie Smith
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya, romance
For those familiar with books by Jane Austen (Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, etc), this book has been likened to hers.

The setting is 1833 as Lord James Ellerby rescues a young woman who is involved in a carriage accident. He rushes her to his manor and summons a physician who finds that the woman has treatable injuries, but has been left with amnesia. She is then housed with the help until Lord Ellerby and his siblings find that her actions and vocabulary indicate that she probably
Reannen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Remember Me
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Spectacle
  • Ember Days
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
  • The Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Virtue
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • The Artisan of Light (Haunted Hearts Legacy, #4)
  • Eleanor's Secret
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel
  • Rue Deschambault
  • Mr. Zinger's Hat
  • Hutterite Diaries: Wisdom from My Prairie Community
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • Divine Justice (Divine Trilogy, #2)
  • A Shimmer of Hummingbirds (Birder Murder Mystery #4)
  • Z Is For Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet
Whenever she is not sitting at the computer, painting, gardening or reading, Cindy can be found--actually, not found--adventuring around the province with her hubby.

She has lived on three continents, had a monkey in her yard and a scorpion under her sink, dwelt among castles and canals and enjoyed the jazz of Beale St.

Cindy loves history, mystery and... a chocolate Labrador called Chester. The H