Start by marking “All We Could Have Been” as Want to Read:
All We Could Have Been

All We Could Have Been

Five years ago, Lexie walked home from school after her older brother failed to pick her up. When she entered her house, her brother sat calmly, waiting for the police to come arrest him for the heinous crime he had just committed.

Treated like a criminal herself, Lexie now moves from school to school hiding who she is—who she's related to. She struggles with loving her
Published April 23rd 2019 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about All We Could Have Been, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All We Could Have Been

Start your review of All We Could Have Been
Emily May
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I miss what we were, but we aren't that anymore, and it's better to get away from the memories of all we could have been.

I wanted to love this so much. Carter's I Stop Somewhere hit me so hard last year that I listed it among my favourite books of 2018. This one just didn't come close to affecting me in the same way.

There are several reasons, and I think one is that I Stop Somewhere alternates between the past and a present which is told in a very poetic and unique writing style. All We Could
L A i N E Y

Well I expected much more than this. You see All We Could Have Been was top on my anticipated list this year. That premise? Soo good and promising. And yet...

The book itself is actually too.. oh I don’t know... normal?? Like those commonplace new girl at school then she met ‘mysterious’ guy? It’s not really about the crime. I’m actually surprised how heavy it focuses on
Liz Barnsley
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
All We Could Have Been is a genuinely absorbing and very emotional novel, with themes of grief and sense of self, looked at from a different and extremely compelling angle.
Lexi is a layered and engaging character to follow along with, as she once again attempts to start anew- despite herself she starts to hope, to integrate, but her reality is never far behind her and facing the unknown can be a dark path indeed.
I loved the levels of this story, one in which coming of age is a more than usual
Elvina Zafril
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
All We Could Have Been is a very emotional book. It tackles about serious issues. This book is about a girl who live with her grief, shame, and trauma. It's all because the crime that her brother did.

I pity Lexie for what she has been through. I hurt so much for her and Marcus. I feel sorry for her because she needs to change name and move from one place to another just because she want to keep her identity and because of what her brother did. Lexie's parents sent her to therapy but what about
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out all my reviews over on The Bent Bookworm!*~
For all the ways I want to disappear and not let people see me, it still cuts me every time they don’t.

All We Could Have Been was a very emotional book. While it is YA, it tackles some very adult themes and thoughts – maybe because the main characters, while still teenagers, have both experienced life events that forced them to grow up very quickly. It seems to be marketed as a thriller, which isn’t entirely accurate as it mostly focuses on
MRIDULA
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A high school drama that involves all the basic elements such as jealousy, fake rumors, rivalry and a lot of dark secrets. ‘All We Could Have Been’ deals with accepting oneself, grief and a lot of other emotional trouble that is usually quite difficult to deal with during one’s teenage years.
Alexia had been haunted by her brother’s crimes all her life and that made her change places and schools a lot.
When she decided to stay at one place just to complete her senior year, she meets Marcus and
Manon the Malicious
*2.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lexie has been through a lot. She has has to move around because of what happened some years ago and has never been able to settle since. The trauma still haunts her and she would do anything to get her life back on track.

I couldn't get into the story. I couldn't stand the main character, couldn't connect with her. i get that she'd been through a lot but I still didn't find anything really interesting about her and
Jay G
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy in exchange for my honest review*

After her brother committed a violent crime, Lexi's entire life changed. For the past 5 years, Lexi has moved several times to live with various relatives once people discovered what her brother did. Now, living with her Aunt, she is determined to stay in one place for her senior year of high school.

This
Bookread2day
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review on www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
A touching story. Every year Lexie chooses a different relative to live with, so she can start a new school in a new town. She one goal in life to survive a full school year with 180 days with a new name, new home, and new persona and to last 162 school days. It's strange but when Lexie changes her school, she changes her name too. This time she is Lexie Lawlor and she promises herself that this time she won't get close to anyone. Will Lexie be able to
Laura Douglas
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an interesting book. It’s about a girl who lives with the grief, shame, and trauma inflicted on her by her brother’s crime.

It’s a good look into how each of us lives with the crimes committed by others.
Jessikah Hope
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
The only thing that kept me reading was the premise which ended up being very one dimensional. It also bothered me that the dialogue in this was very robotic. Not a fun time!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2.5 STARS

Since Something Happened in Alexia’s family when she was twelve, she’s lived in the homes of different family members, avoiding the fallout. Now a senior Lexi lives in public housing with her Aunt Susie, determined to keep her family’s past hidden for 162 days until graduation.

I loved TE Carter’s debut, I STOP SOMEWHERE and immediately preordered ALL WE COULD HAVE BEEN when it became available as one of my most anticipated 2019 releases. Disappointment is too mild a word to describe my
Lindsay
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, dissapointed
T.E. Carter's I Stop Somewhere was striking and intense, and also the reason I highly anticipated All We Could Have Been . I didn't expect a replica of Carter's first novel, but something that evoked the same feelings. Something that made me stop and think. All We Could Have Been did the opposite.

Alexia moves in with her aunt after five years of living with different relatives. Her brother committed a heinous crime when she was 12, and it shattered their family. Her parents sold their house
P.M.
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
A lot of the reviews say this is a very emotional book. If it is, I somehow missed it. I only finished it because I finish books. I also needed something to focus on while the blasting "music" from the Rock Row concerts kept the neighborhood awake. I didn't like any of the characters except perhaps Ryan who creates lawn ornaments. I also question the idea of asking a minor sibling of a confessed and convicted murderer her opinion about his chances of rehabilitation.
The Reading Raccoon
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-as-an-arc
I received a advanced copy of this book via NetGalley.
My favorite premise for a book is just an idea. “What would it be like if I was ______ ?”
In the case of the 17 year old main character of All We Could Have Been “what would it be like to be the younger sister of a murderer?” How would people treat you? When can you start living or will you always pay the price for someone else’s crime? Who do you trust with your past and when are you required to disclose it?
I thought T.E. Carter did an
B220
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
How would you handle it if you had to move each year because people kept finding out your past? Alexia has a secret that haunts her, that brings along crippling flashbacks, and that causes anyone who finds out about it to ridicule and ostracize her.

Now, just trying to finish high school in yet another new town, she meets two boys, Marcus and Ryan. One becomes a fast friend and one becomes something more. Lexi longs to overcome her past and open up about it, but what happens if she actually does?
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This was book was my first read by the author but based on this I’ll definitely be reading more books in future. I enjoyed the story it was really emotive, the characters were well written and empathetic. Highly recommended read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
legenbooksdary
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The pace of this story was painstakingly slow and it quickly made me lose interest. I find this book to be pretty cliche to me even though the main character is going through a difficult time with guilt, feeling helpless and hopeless.

I really hoped that even throughout the end, Lexie wouldn't be treated so badly by the ones whom she considers to be her friends. She doesn't deserve to be treated this way especially after going through so much. They should be consoling and comforting her because
Camillea
It’s difficult to find the words to describe the ache and relief I’ve experienced reading T.E. Carter’s All We Could Have Been. Lexi’s, a sixteen year old girl, suffers from PTSD after coming home to find her brother being arrested. The aftermath of her brother’s crime sinks its fingers into every life she tries to create. This book hit me very hard. I was completely mesmerized by Carter’s prose which seemed to jump out of the pages. There is so much to unfold in this story beginning with Lexi’s ...more
Candyce Kirk
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lexi has been running for five years. Ever since she came home that day after school and watched her brother being taken away by the police. When people see her now, all they see is what her brother did. They say Lexi has the same thing inside of her and aren't very nice about it. Hoping to start over again, she moves in with her Aunt for senior year. No one knows who she is here and she wants to keep it that way!

It's clear that pretending is leaving a mark on Lexi. She has lots of anxiety,
Lauren the Book Slayer
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that, All We Could Have Been is not the type of contemporary story that I normally read. I usually stick with the cute romance stories that, although they deal with real-world issues, generally stay pretty light with heavy doses of humor.

So why did I pick-up All We Could Have Been? I can’t fully explain it. I think a big part of it is that my curiosity got the better of me. I’m not usually big into mysteries, but for some reason I just really needed to know what the “
Karen Barber
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Lexie is used to running. Each year she starts a new school, under a new name, in an attempt to get away from the inevitable bullying when people find out about the awful thing her brother did.
We learn that when Lexie was twelve her brother forgot to pick her up from school. She walked home. She recalls blood, lots of it. And since that time her brother has not been part of her life - although his actions, and the consequences of those actions, permeate every part of her being.
So often in a
Eve beinguniquebooks
Lexi is always the new girl, always starting over thanks to her family's situation and her dead brother. Only this time she's with her aunt and not her parents.

In her latest town she needs to finally make it through a whole school year to get to stay there and make friends and her grades.

As she makes friends with Ryan and gets a feel for her new school, she even wants to join the drama group and perform in their production or Romeo and Juliet.

However a slip of the tongue and her real name and
Kelsey Castro
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up to 4/5 because I may have been expecting too much from this one.

I loved Carter's first book I Stop Somewhere. It was the kind of book that made you feel something, and kept you on an emotional roller coaster from start to finish. Because of that, I expected this book to be equally enthralling if not as dark.

I liked this book. The story was interesting and the emotions were real. My only real hangups were Ryan's severe and totally selfish reaction to her secret, and her subsequent
Kayla Gallup
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a truly heartbreaking read about Lexie’s trauma and what she went through due to her brothers actions. She suffers from PTSD/anxiety and makes her move each year to escape people’s comments on her life and what her brother did. She has a hard time making friends and getting close to anyone, which makes it hard to live as a teenager. With this last move-something is different. She starts to go through a healing process, which I loved. The growth of Lexie was great. I too suffer from ...more
Gayle Noble
Lexi moves to a yet another new school, hoping against hope that this time she will be able to live a normal life. A life where her brother's crime wouldn't catch up with her. Is it too much to ask?

This was an intriguing read, looking at the fallout from reprehensible crimes on the family of the perpetrator. Society tends to apportion blame and guilt to them, sometimes as much as they do the perp themselves. Even other adults were quick to point the finger at Lexi, who was only a child when her
Flo
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I loved the anxity and mental illness rep in here. Did not really like the romance, but only because I don't really like to read about romance, wich is also why I liked Ryan al ot
Tash Broom
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good book in my opinion. It felt realistic and emotional. It gave a strong insight on how families cope through this sort of situation.
Susan

• We Are Not Okay
  • The Words That Fly Between Us
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • The Burning
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Heartstream
  • I Hold Your Heart
  • Toffee
  • All Eyes on Us
  • Music and Malice in Hurricane Town
  • Meat Market
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Birthday
  • I Am Not a Number
TE Carter was born in New England and has lived in New England for pretty much her entire life. Throughout her career, she’s done a lot of things, although her passion has always been writing. When she’s not writing, she can generally be found reading classic literature, playing Xbox, organizing her comic collection, or binge watching baking competitions. She continues to live in New England with ...more
“I miss what we were, but we aren’t that anymore, and it’s better to get away from the memories of all we could have been.” 0 likes