Start by marking “All We Could Have Been” as Want to Read:
All We Could Have Been

All We Could Have Been

Five years ago, Lexie walked home from school after her older brother failed to pick her up. When she entered her house, her brother sat calmly, waiting for the police to come arrest him for the heinous crime he had just committed.

Published April 23rd 2019 by Feiwel Friends

To ask other readers questions about All We Could Have Been, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All We Could Have Been

Emily May
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I miss what we were, but we aren't that anymore, and it's better to get away from the memories of all we could have been.

I wanted to love this so much. Carter's I Stop Somewhere hit me so hard last year that I listed it among my favourite books of 2018. This one just didn't come close to affecting me in the same way.

There are several reasons, and I think one is that I Stop Somewhere alternates between the past and a present which is told in a very poetic and unique writing style. All We Could
Liz Barnsley
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
All We Could Have Been is a genuinely absorbing and very emotional novel, with themes of grief and sense of self, looked at from a different and extremely compelling angle.
Lexi is a layered and engaging character to follow along with, as she once again attempts to start anew- despite herself she starts to hope, to integrate, but her reality is never far behind her and facing the unknown can be a dark path indeed.
I loved the levels of this story, one in which coming of age is a more than usual ch
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out all my reviews over on The Bent Bookworm!*~
For all the ways I want to disappear and not let people see me, it still cuts me every time they don’t.

All We Could Have Been was a very emotional book. While it is YA, it tackles some very adult themes and thoughts – maybe because the main characters, while still teenagers, have both experienced life events that forced them to grow up very quickly. It seems to be marketed as a thriller, which isn’t entirely accurate as it mostly focuses on
Jay G
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy in exchange for my honest review*

After her brother committed a violent crime, Lexi's entire life changed. For the past 5 years, Lexi has moved several times to live with various relatives once people discovered what her brother did. Now, living with her Aunt, she is determined to stay in one place for her senior year of high school.

This
Laura Douglas
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an interesting book. It’s about a girl who lives with the grief, shame, and trauma inflicted on her by her brother’s crime.

It’s a good look into how each of us lives with the crimes committed by others.
Lindsay
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, dissapointed
T.E. Carter's I Stop Somewhere was striking and intense, and also the reason I highly anticipated All We Could Have Been . I didn't expect a replica of Carter's first novel, but something that evoked the same feelings. Something that made me stop and think. All We Could Have Been did the opposite.

Alexia moves in with her aunt after five years of living with different relatives. Her brother committed a heinous crime when she was 12, and it shattered their family. Her parents sold their house
B220
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
How would you handle it if you had to move each year because people kept finding out your past? Alexia has a secret that haunts her, that brings along crippling flashbacks, and that causes anyone who finds out about it to ridicule and ostracize her.

Now, just trying to finish high school in yet another new town, she meets two boys, Marcus and Ryan. One becomes a fast friend and one becomes something more. Lexi longs to overcome her past and open up about it, but what happens if she actually does?
Tara
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was book was my first read by the author but based on this I’ll definitely be reading more books in future. I enjoyed the story it was really emotive, the characters were well written and empathetic. Highly recommended read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Manon
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, rtc
*2.5 Stars* (maybe, we'll see)

I was provided a review copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

RTC
Jessikah Stenson
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
The only thing that kept me reading was the premise which ended up being very one dimensional. It also bothered me that the dialogue in this was very robotic. Not a fun time!
Candyce Kirk
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lexi has been running for five years. Ever since she came home that day after school and watched her brother being taken away by the police. When people see her now, all they see is what her brother did. They say Lexi has the same thing inside of her and aren't very nice about it. Hoping to start over again, she moves in with her Aunt for senior year. No one knows who she is here and she wants to keep it that way!

It's clear that pretending is leaving a mark on Lexi. She has lots of anxiety, does
Lauren the Book Slayer
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that, All We Could Have Been is not the type of contemporary story that I normally read. I usually stick with the cute romance stories that, although they deal with real-world issues, generally stay pretty light with heavy doses of humor.

So why did I pick-up All We Could Have Been? I can’t fully explain it. I think a big part of it is that my curiosity got the better of me. I’m not usually big into mysteries, but for some reason I just really needed to know what the “heino
Eve beinguniquebooks
Lexi is always the new girl, always starting over thanks to her family's situation and her dead brother. Only this time she's with her aunt and not her parents.

In her latest town she needs to finally make it through a whole school year to get to stay there and make friends and her grades.

As she makes friends with Ryan and gets a feel for her new school, she even wants to join the drama group and perform in their production or Romeo and Juliet.

However a slip of the tongue and her real name and pa
Kelsey Castro
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up to 4/5 because I may have been expecting too much from this one.

I loved Carter's first book I Stop Somewhere. It was the kind of book that made you feel something, and kept you on an emotional roller coaster from start to finish. Because of that, I expected this book to be equally enthralling if not as dark.

I liked this book. The story was interesting and the emotions were real. My only real hangups were Ryan's severe and totally selfish reaction to her secret, and her subsequent dep
Susan
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars- Review posted on novellives.com
Kara Gemian
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! I truly was not expecting to like this one as much as I did! I have no idea why though because it was unlike anything I've ever read before. Yes it is a contemporary, but not a romance heavy or mental health heavy one. It wasn't a thriller, but has thriller-like elements? Point is, it is hard for me to categorize it because it pulls from a lot of different themes instead of focusing on just one.

When I first read the synopsis, I was thinking there would be thriller elements because of the cr
Theresa
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
TE Carter’s All We Could Have Been is an inside look at the effect that other people’s—particularly family—choices can have on you. Particularly relevant for young adults, it shows some of the many faces that grief can take on, especially in the context of high school, a difficult environment for many to begin with. The book touches on grief, abandonment, the cruelty of teenagers, and the relationship between family members. It was interesting, but not riveting, and hard to categorize. It was fu ...more
Elizabeth Mathis
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

Treated like a criminal herself, Lexie now moves from school to school hiding who she is—who she's related to. She struggles with loving her brother, the PTSD she now suffers from, and wanting to just live a normal life. But how can she be normal when she can’t even f
Amy
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

Actual rating: 2.5, but rounded up to 3 due to the second half of the book.

I was VERY excited to read this book based on its premise AND the premise of Carter's earlier work I Stop Somewhere . Sadly, I was disappointed. I was hoping for something amazing, something to keep me wondering about humanity, and choices, and what it means to be family. Instead I got something that
Brittany Smith
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five years ago Lexie walked home from school to find out that her brother Scott had committed a heinous crime. Ever since, Lexie has been on the run from all the rumours and horrible treatment that she received as a result. Treated like a criminal herself Lexie has moved to different family members each time her “dirty secret” has come out. This year she’s determined to complete her senior year, just 162 days, at one school and just blend in. Will this time be different?

This book puts into focus
Victoria
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
legenbooksdary
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The pace of this story was painstakingly slow and it quickly made me lose interest. I find this book to be pretty cliche to me even though the main character is going through a difficult time with guilt, feeling helpless and hopeless.

I really hoped that even throughout the end, Lexie wouldn't be treated so badly by the ones whom she considers to be her friends. She doesn't deserve to be treated this way especially after going through so much. They should be consoling and comforting her because
Taylor Peters
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"All We Could Have Been" by TE Carter has been one of my most anticipated books of 2019. And to be honest, it lived up to the hype.

We follow Alexia as she tries to figure out her place after discovering her brother moments after he commits a heinous crime. At the time, she was a child and now into her teens, she is still struggling with accepting her brother and understanding her part in his actions.

TE Carter writes from a place that I have never experienced. You can feel the emotions of the ch
Erikka
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
TE Carter achieves the seemingly unachievable: teen thrillers that are legitimately surprising. I couldn't have called the mid-book twist if you paid me. Just like I Stop Somewhere, I found this book un-put-down-able. I loved the characters, the psychology, the pacing, everything. Also, a believable and developed ace/aro character! That's a rarity! It did get a bit bogged down in teen drama sometimes (boy drama), but that's to be expected as the target audience seems to eat that stuff up. Also, ...more
Darryn
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

I feel like this book was written by a completely different author than "I Stop Somewhere". The characters were dull and I didn't feel a connection with any of them. The plot sounded interesting but that also fell flat for me. I really could not get into this one, which is so disappointing because "I Stop Somewhere" was so amazing and I was really looking forward to another book by this author. I will still be on the lookout for
Helen Swinyard
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Great YA title with a well drawn main character. I spend through it and was pleased that it is not graphic YA in any way although there is a little bit of swearing. I did feel a bit lectured at at times, as if the writer did lots of research and thinking about people in this situation (no spoilers!) and wanted to cram everything in. So there is plenty of internal voice but I wanted more of the other characters too. I like the hope in this book and it was very readable.
Thanks to Netgalley for an
Cenedra
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I liked this book a lot. The story revolves around Lexi, a girl whos running away from her past and hoping that no one finds out the secrets that keep on haunting her. I really enjoyed her character as she was so layered and real which even though she was living with things that the average person isn't made her a relatable mc.

I have to say that I didn't love the romance aspect of the book, it all felt a bit rushed but
Samantha
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like 4.5
This was really good! My full review will be up on 4.13.19 for the AWCHB Blog Tour hosted by Fantastic Flying Book Club blog tours!
S
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Contains very older themes of sex, asexuality, drugs, graphic murder
Erin
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Nameless Queen
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Suggested Reading
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled #1)
  • Untitled (Mirage, #3)
  • The Grace Year
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Bone Grace (Bone Grace, #1)
TE Carter was born in New England and has lived in New England for pretty much her entire life. Throughout her career, she’s done a lot of things, although her passion has always been writing. When she’s not writing, she can generally be found reading classic literature, playing Xbox, organizing her comic collection, or binge watching baking competitions. She continues to live in New England with ...more