Start by marking “All We Could Have Been” as Want to Read:
All We Could Have Been

All We Could Have Been

Five years ago, Lexie walked home from school after her older brother failed to pick her up. When she entered her house, her brother sat calmly, waiting for the police to come arrest him for the heinous crime he had just committed.

Published April 23rd 2019 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about All We Could Have Been, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All We Could Have Been

Emily May
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I miss what we were, but we aren't that anymore, and it's better to get away from the memories of all we could have been.

I wanted to love this so much. Carter's I Stop Somewhere hit me so hard last year that I listed it among my favourite books of 2018. This one just didn't come close to affecting me in the same way.

There are several reasons, and I think one is that I Stop Somewhere alternates between the past and a present which is told in a very poetic and unique writing style. All We Could
Liz Barnsley
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
All We Could Have Been is a genuinely absorbing and very emotional novel, with themes of grief and sense of self, looked at from a different and extremely compelling angle.
Lexi is a layered and engaging character to follow along with, as she once again attempts to start anew- despite herself she starts to hope, to integrate, but her reality is never far behind her and facing the unknown can be a dark path indeed.
I loved the levels of this story, one in which coming of age is a more than usual ch
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out all my reviews over on The Bent Bookworm!*~
For all the ways I want to disappear and not let people see me, it still cuts me every time they don’t.

All We Could Have Been was a very emotional book. While it is YA, it tackles some very adult themes and thoughts – maybe because the main characters, while still teenagers, have both experienced life events that forced them to grow up very quickly. It seems to be marketed as a thriller, which isn’t entirely accurate as it mostly focuses on
MRIDULA
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A high school drama that involves all the basic elements such as jealousy, fake rumors, rivalry and a lot of dark secrets. ‘All We Could Have Been’ deals with accepting oneself, grief and a lot of other emotional trouble that is usually quite difficult to deal with during one’s teenage years.
Alexia had been haunted by her brother’s crimes all her life and that made her change places and schools a lot.
When she decided to stay at one place just to complete her senior year, she meets Marcus and Rya
Jay G
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy in exchange for my honest review*

After her brother committed a violent crime, Lexi's entire life changed. For the past 5 years, Lexi has moved several times to live with various relatives once people discovered what her brother did. Now, living with her Aunt, she is determined to stay in one place for her senior year of high school.

This
Manon
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
*2.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lexie has been through a lot. She has has to move around because of what happened some years ago and has never been able to settle since. The trauma still haunts her and she would do anything to get her life back on track.

I couldn't get into the story. I couldn't stand the main character, couldn't connect with her. i get that she'd been through a lot but I still didn't find anything really interesting about her and m
Laura Douglas
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an interesting book. It’s about a girl who lives with the grief, shame, and trauma inflicted on her by her brother’s crime.

It’s a good look into how each of us lives with the crimes committed by others.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2.5 STARS

Since Something Happened in Alexia’s family when she was twelve, she’s lived in the homes of different family members, avoiding the fallout. Now a senior Lexi lives in public housing with her Aunt Susie, determined to keep her family’s past hidden for 162 days until graduation.

I loved TE Carter’s debut, I STOP SOMEWHERE and immediately preordered ALL WE COULD HAVE BEEN when it became available as one of my most anticipated 2019 releases. Disappointment is too mild a word to describe my
Lindsay
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, dissapointed
T.E. Carter's I Stop Somewhere was striking and intense, and also the reason I highly anticipated All We Could Have Been . I didn't expect a replica of Carter's first novel, but something that evoked the same feelings. Something that made me stop and think. All We Could Have Been did the opposite.

Alexia moves in with her aunt after five years of living with different relatives. Her brother committed a heinous crime when she was 12, and it shattered their family. Her parents sold their house
Jessikah Stenson
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
The only thing that kept me reading was the premise which ended up being very one dimensional. It also bothered me that the dialogue in this was very robotic. Not a fun time!
The Reading Raccoon
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-an-arc
I received a advanced copy of this book via NetGalley.
My favorite premise for a book is just an idea. “What would it be like if I was ______ ?”
In the case of the 17 year old main character of All We Could Have Been “what would it be like to be the younger sister of a murderer?” How would people treat you? When can you start living or will you always pay the price for someone else’s crime? Who do you trust with your past and when are you required to disclose it?
I thought T.E. Carter did an exc
B220
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
How would you handle it if you had to move each year because people kept finding out your past? Alexia has a secret that haunts her, that brings along crippling flashbacks, and that causes anyone who finds out about it to ridicule and ostracize her.

Now, just trying to finish high school in yet another new town, she meets two boys, Marcus and Ryan. One becomes a fast friend and one becomes something more. Lexi longs to overcome her past and open up about it, but what happens if she actually does?
Tara
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was book was my first read by the author but based on this I’ll definitely be reading more books in future. I enjoyed the story it was really emotive, the characters were well written and empathetic. Highly recommended read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Camillea
It’s difficult to find the words to describe the ache and relief I’ve experienced reading T.E. Carter’s All We Could Have Been. Lexi’s, a sixteen year old girl, suffers from PTSD after coming home to find her brother being arrested. The aftermath of her brother’s crime sinks its fingers into every life she tries to create. This book hit me very hard. I was completely mesmerized by Carter’s prose which seemed to jump out of the pages. There is so much to unfold in this story beginning with Lexi’s ...more
Candyce Kirk
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lexi has been running for five years. Ever since she came home that day after school and watched her brother being taken away by the police. When people see her now, all they see is what her brother did. They say Lexi has the same thing inside of her and aren't very nice about it. Hoping to start over again, she moves in with her Aunt for senior year. No one knows who she is here and she wants to keep it that way!

It's clear that pretending is leaving a mark on Lexi. She has lots of anxiety, does
Lauren the Book Slayer
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that, All We Could Have Been is not the type of contemporary story that I normally read. I usually stick with the cute romance stories that, although they deal with real-world issues, generally stay pretty light with heavy doses of humor.

So why did I pick-up All We Could Have Been? I can’t fully explain it. I think a big part of it is that my curiosity got the better of me. I’m not usually big into mysteries, but for some reason I just really needed to know what the “heino
Karen Barber
Lexie is used to running. Each year she starts a new school, under a new name, in an attempt to get away from the inevitable bullying when people find out about the awful thing her brother did.
We learn that when Lexie was twelve her brother forgot to pick her up from school. She walked home. She recalls blood, lots of it. And since that time her brother has not been part of her life - although his actions, and the consequences of those actions, permeate every part of her being.
So often in a trag
Eve beinguniquebooks
Lexi is always the new girl, always starting over thanks to her family's situation and her dead brother. Only this time she's with her aunt and not her parents.

In her latest town she needs to finally make it through a whole school year to get to stay there and make friends and her grades.

As she makes friends with Ryan and gets a feel for her new school, she even wants to join the drama group and perform in their production or Romeo and Juliet.

However a slip of the tongue and her real name and pa
Kelsey Castro
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up to 4/5 because I may have been expecting too much from this one.

I loved Carter's first book I Stop Somewhere. It was the kind of book that made you feel something, and kept you on an emotional roller coaster from start to finish. Because of that, I expected this book to be equally enthralling if not as dark.

I liked this book. The story was interesting and the emotions were real. My only real hangups were Ryan's severe and totally selfish reaction to her secret, and her subsequent dep
Susan
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars- Review posted on novellives.com
Meredith
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was a really intense book. Full RTC
Kara Gemian
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! I truly was not expecting to like this one as much as I did! I have no idea why though because it was unlike anything I've ever read before. Yes it is a contemporary, but not a romance heavy or mental health heavy one. It wasn't a thriller, but has thriller-like elements? Point is, it is hard for me to categorize it because it pulls from a lot of different themes instead of focusing on just one.

When I first read the synopsis, I was thinking there would be thriller elements because of the cr
Theresa
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
TE Carter’s All We Could Have Been is an inside look at the effect that other people’s—particularly family—choices can have on you. Particularly relevant for young adults, it shows some of the many faces that grief can take on, especially in the context of high school, a difficult environment for many to begin with. The book touches on grief, abandonment, the cruelty of teenagers, and the relationship between family members. It was interesting, but not riveting, and hard to categorize. It was fu ...more
Elizabeth Mathis
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

Treated like a criminal herself, Lexie now moves from school to school hiding who she is—who she's related to. She struggles with loving her brother, the PTSD she now suffers from, and wanting to just live a normal life. But how can she be normal when she can’t even f
Kate Avery
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5/5

I really like stories that deal with the aftermath of a tragic event, there is something about how difficult people can get that I just can’t seem to tear my eyes away from. When I read the description of All We Could Have Been I knew that it was going to be a book that would keep me turning the pages.

It is a captivating story, it’s a book that keeps you invested and makes you want to keep reading not through thrills but through its complexity and the questions it asks of the human c
Gianna
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

162 days. This is all Lexi needs. To survive in her new school for just 162 days, and then she'll be ok.

Alexia has been changing school every year since she was 13. And in each one of them, she appears with a different name. All she wants is to remain unnoticed. But every year turns into a new disaster. But this is yer senior year. This is the last time she'll have to run and hide. And maybe this
Lois (thecarrotstories)
"People have an amazing capacity for forgiveness sometimes." – T.E. Carter

All We Could Have Been is a story about Lexi who with a traumatic past, struggles with mental health and anxiety/panic attacks. She hops from one school to another every year to avoid the gossip and verbal abuse when the town finds out the truth about what her brother did. It is a story about friendship and forgiveness, focusing on the struggles through mental health.

I truly enjoyed the story and seeing how a life can cha
Amy
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

Actual rating: 2.5, but rounded up to 3 due to the second half of the book.

I was VERY excited to read this book based on its premise AND the premise of Carter's earlier work I Stop Somewhere . Sadly, I was disappointed. I was hoping for something amazing, something to keep me wondering about humanity, and choices, and what it means to be family. Instead I got something that
Brittany Smith
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five years ago Lexie walked home from school to find out that her brother Scott had committed a heinous crime. Ever since, Lexie has been on the run from all the rumours and horrible treatment that she received as a result. Treated like a criminal herself Lexie has moved to different family members each time her “dirty secret” has come out. This year she’s determined to complete her senior year, just 162 days, at one school and just blend in. Will this time be different?

This book puts into focus
Victoria

• The Wise and the Wicked
  • Nameless Queen
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Suggested Reading
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Untitled (Mirage, #3)
  • The Grace Year
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Bone Grace (Bone Grace, #1)
TE Carter was born in New England and has lived in New England for pretty much her entire life. Throughout her career, she’s done a lot of things, although her passion has always been writing. When she’s not writing, she can generally be found reading classic literature, playing Xbox, organizing her comic collection, or binge watching baking competitions. She continues to live in New England with ...more