Start by marking “Borrowing Bunnies: A Surprising True Tale of Fostering Rabbits” as Want to Read:
Borrowing Bunnies: A Surprising True Tale of Fostering Rabbits

Borrowing Bunnies: A Surprising True Tale of Fostering Rabbits

This nonfiction photographic picture book is the story of two adorable foster bunnies who find the perfect home— by a Newbery Honor author.

From beloved novelist Cynthia Lord comes the heartwarming tale of the author's own journey in fostering two very special bunnies that is perfect for—but not limited to—Easter.

Peggotty and Benjamin, two Netherland Dwarf rabbits, were
Published February 12th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about Borrowing Bunnies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borrowing Bunnies

Start your review of Borrowing Bunnies: A Surprising True Tale of Fostering Rabbits
Becky B
Cynthia Lord shares her experience fostering two rabbits, and the surprise baby rabbits one of them gave birth to until they were ready to go to their forever homes.

This was a great realistic look at what fostering entails and what it is like to care for a pet rabbit. I would say this is a must read for any family considering getting a pet rabbit. And anyone considering getting into fostering animals who has kids may want to read this to the kids first. (It includes the fact that not all
Arminzerella
This book has delighted everyone I've shared it with...

Cynthia Lord and her family foster bunnies for a rescue and get to help their bun friends learn what it's like to live with humans, which includes lots of handling and playtime (when they're ready for it), exploration and exercise, and learning how to use a litterbox. Some of them arrive from very different situations, so once their basic needs are taken care of (food, water, shelter) they're given some time to settle in. "Borrowing Bunnies"
Lynn Plourde
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fostering baby bunnies with a few surprises thrown in. What's not to love? And it's all true along with adorable photos.
Allie
I am an absolute sucker for rabbit books, and this one is such a sweet fostering story! The photos are lovely and the little illustrations add a little pep.
Ruth Ann
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story of how a family fosters bunnies and ends up keeping one. :)
All photographs are by the author's husband - and are absolutely adorable.
The illustrations are equally adorable.
Elizabeth☮
I have a rabbit. And I love my rabbit. But this book taught me a little more about my little furry friend. My daughter and I enjoyed the pictures and the many facts we learned.
Melanie
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first grader was very invested in the outcome of the story of these real life bunnies. I love how Cynthia Lord was able to explain the process of fostering bunnies through the lens of a story arc. So appropriate and so wonderful for readers of all ages to experience! A great addition to an Easter basket!
Aliza Werner
I loved following this story in real time on Cynthia’s Facebook page. Truly a story worth telling. And now I want a pet rabbit. ...more
Barbara
Around Easter time, youngsters often decide impulsively that they want baby chicks or adorable little bunnies as their pets. I strongly advice that parents not give in to their begging, at least until they read this book and are aware of how much work goes in to taking care of rabbits. After all, those cute little guys don't stay small and adorable for long. In this book, author Cynthia Lord, best known for her book, Rules, describes her experience in fostering two bunnies, Peggotty and ...more
Alice
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have an annoying cat that I fostered and then adopted, it was in a weak point in my life. Why I keep the cat? Well, I am terrified of mice and well, the cat is tolerable and sometimes fun to have around!

Now this book has had me half considering bunny adoption. I know, stop me now!!!

I cannot foster bunnies no! no! no! but this book opens the idea and the possibility! Maybe! (NO stop it)

It is clear the hazards and joy, the stresses and cuteness. It makes no mystery of what to expect. The
Martha
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-3-non-fiction
I love all of Cynthia Lord's work, yet so far most of her stories are fascinating realistic fiction. In this non-fiction story she shares that she fosters bunnies, until they eventually end up in homes with owners who care for them. One particular pair of adorable Netherland Dwarf bunnies comes to her with a special surprise. Many young children are enamored with bunnies, her author note in that back makes it clear that bunnies are a serious responsibility, many factors must be considered before ...more
Jana
Just in time for Easter, this awesome picture book will definitely leave young readers with a strong desire to have a pet rabbit, and the photographs are so amazingly cute! Fostering pets has become a terrific way for pet rescue centers to take care of so many needy animals and for prospective pet owners to get a chance to see if owning a pet is right for them. Cynthia Lord is an award-winning author of awesome middle grade novels and she has spent a great deal of time fostering rabbits in ...more
Sandy Brehl
Okay, no arguments that photos of bunnies, adult and baby bunnies, deserve five stars.
No arguing, I said.
Apart from that, this is a nonfiction, how-to book that serves as mentor text for young writers (of any age, actually), and also models useful and accessible back matter.
A must-have book for anyone considering having a bunny as a pet, but also a must-have for nonfiction collections in libraries, classrooms, and homes.
Amy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author Cynthia Lord (Rules, Hot Rod Hamster) fosters bunnies in her spare time and in this book shares the story of two of two Netherland Dwarf bunnies her family fostered. One of the bunnies is pregnant and they end up caring for and placing two baby bunnies as well! The details of proper bunny care are woven into the story and adorable bunny pictures abound. What a sweet way to learn about bunny pet care. Recommended for purchase
Abby Johnson
Could this book BE any more adorable? (Answer: impossible.) Newbery honor author Cynthia Lord here chronicles her adventures with fostering bunnies with super cute photographs and illustrations. When she took in Benjamin and Peggotty to foster them until they were ready for adoption, she got quite a surprise when Peggotty gave birth to four baby bunnies. This is a fun pet story that will really please animal lovers and educates readers about caring for bunnies and bunny behavior.
Angie Quantrell
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Nonfiction account of fostering, adopting, and raising the most adorable bunnies! Borrowing Bunnies is the tale of two foster bunnies (who, ahem, somehow ended up with MORE bunnies). I loved learned special words like 'binky' when a bunny leaps with joy. Filled with great photos, bunny information, and even things to consider if readers want to get a pet (bunny or otherwise). Easy and fun to read. Excellent read!
Holly Mueller
Aw! This sweet picture book chronicles Cynthia Lord's journey of fostering bunnies. I love that her husband is the photographer! The outcome of the story made me teary. You can't help but want your own pet bunny after reading this! I enjoyed reading about the whole story after following much of it on Facebook.
Patricia
I'm not a person who is interested in rabbits as pets, but boy did I like this book, which combines photographs and illustrations to teach us both about the specific bunnies that Cynthia Lord was fostering and also about pet rabbit information in general.

There's a good afterward discussing things to think about before you adopt a bunny.
Gayle Gordon
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is such a cute book for kids about caring for bunnies and is a good introduction to rabbit care and behavior. Kids get to learn about the world of fostering, including the infamous "foster fail" i.e. when you just can't give one up and he/she becomes part of your family. I recently took in two dumped bunnies, so someone showed me this book at the library. Adorable!
Tirzah
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I do not consider myself an animal lover and I am not interested in having a pet, but this book is quite adorable. I never knew one could foster rabbits! There are lots of cute photographs and Cynthia Lord writes the true story suitably for the young reader audience.
Jesse
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of fostering animals! The photographs really make the story, though the grace with which hard subjects are broached is very helpful when sharing this story with children. We read it several times. :)
Add this one to a pet unit! It describes in detail what it is like to care for pet bunnies and to watch them grow. I love too, that this is a personal experience. Kids who love animals will eat this right up. Be careful though- they may come away wanting a bunny of their own.
Bethe
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Extra half star for cuteness overload! Loved the format, mix of photos and drawings, the author’s real life experience. Had a few kids ask for bunny books - will hand this to them the minute the order comes in!
Tracie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Combining animal facts with an easy-to-read narrative and photographs with cartoony illustrations, the author relates the true (and truly adorable) story of how she helped two newborn bunnies find their forever home.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A great picture book about bunnies, fostering, and raising babies. This book is on the longer side so it would be best for an upper elementary class. I really enjoyed the cute pictures, facts about bunnies, and the tips about taking care of bunnies.
Christina
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so sweet. Perfect for a pet enthusiast or for a Spring/Easter read. My daughter (12) keeps asking for a bunny. While I’m not ready to say yes, we enjoyed reading this sweet story of borrowing/fostering bunnies together.
Cheryl Lykowski
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A rich, heart-warming story about fostering and raising bunnies. Amazing photographs enhance the story that is based on true events as the author takes us along on her journey of fostering and raising bunnies.
MaryLibrarianOH
Michelle Simpson
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story of a family rescuing pets, and the photos are a plus. My students are going to love this one!
Lisa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love bunnies! This was such an awesome book for teaching children the basics of caring for bunnies. Top marks, and the pictures were adorable.

• My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • The Crayon Man: the True Story of the Invention of Crayola Crayons
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Daniel's Good Day
I'm the author of the children's book, RULES."