Start by marking “Dorchadas House” as Want to Read:
Dorchadas House

Dorchadas House

Yearning for new surrounds, Iris Muir accepts a position at historic Dorchadas House, on the remote Scottish island of Eirig. Drawn to the wild landscape, Iris hopes to forget the burdens of her past: her father’s death, a narrow life in a small-minded town.

But the dilapidated manor houses its own secrets. There are strange cries in the night, and is the stoic housekeepe
Published March 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Dorchadas House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorchadas House

Start your review of Dorchadas House
CC

After her father passes, Iris Muir decides to leave the bustle of the city and accept a job on the Scottish island of Eirig, a place where traditions are abundant and the town remains outside of modernity’s grasp. Wanting an adventure and a place where she can belong, Iris acclimates to her new surroundings yet many questions begin to emerge as she witnesses certain circumstances. Perplexed by her intuition and lustful feelings, the traditions call to her and Iris is ready to submit to higher pu
Rodin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eirig
Draws Iris to Dorchadas House
A truly beautiful tale
Woven through the standing stones
Folklore
Legend
Beautifully woven together
Iris finds her fill of everything
Her yearning
Her need
Two rams to help her fulfil her dreams and destiny
News and Eachainn are her alpha destiny
A tale to enjoy
Samhain flows through her for her
Seeds of destiny
Five shining stars
Angela
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the start, this gothic style short story feels atmospheric and eerie. There is a feeling of unease from Chapter 1 when Iris is caring for her father. Nothing certain is said but there is a disturbing feeling. After her father's death, Iris travels by boat to a Scottish island to take up a new position with Mrs McInnes, overseeing the re-decoration of Dorchadas House and afterwards to deal with the guests of the newly furbished house.

There is a tense yet curious atmosphere with wary locals a
Joann Herley
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dorchadas House is a Gothic Mystery - After losing her father, Iris takes a position at the Dorchadas House on the Isle of Eirig. Once she arrives, Ms. De Maupassant draws you in and weaves a captivating suspenseful mystery that keeps you turning the pages. You feel as if you are there watching and listening. As the tension increases, you can’t look away. I have read several of Ms. De Maupassant’s books, and her beautiful writing has drawn me back for more. I look forward to more of her work.
Gypsy Madden
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does anyone remember the movie called The Wickerman? There have actually been several versions (one starring Christopher Lee and the other starring Nicholas Cage). It has a young man who goes to a remote Scottish island in search of a missing girl and finds pagan worshiping going on. So, we’re basically looking at a retelling of The Wickerman, but with a young woman in place of the starring man. It even nabs the animal masks and mummers from the movie and it used Samhain rather than May Day from ...more
Dee
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emmanuelle de Maupassant is my favorite writer. Period. I have reviewed over 960 books with currently 377 "helpful" votes and my opinion of this author's writing still applies. I can't stress enough Ms. de Maupassant's artistry composing sentences with vivid imagery with her unique twist. It's really poetry and I highly recommend her writing.

As far as this particular book is concerned, it's primarily a suspense novel but as with most of this author's work, there is an eroticism involved. The sup
Nicole Studioso
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily read an advanced copy of Dorchadas House "House of Darkness" for an honest review. I really enjoyed this dark, Gothic supernatural book. There's a lot going on and you really have to pay attention to the characters and the backstory that goes along with the history of the house, the Laird's family, and the isle itself. There are amazing elements of romance, mystery, suspense, and even a tiny bit of horror that really gets your blood pumping.
Iris Muir takes a job as a personal assi
Patricia Dixon
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all of Emmanuelle’s books I was instantly absorbed into the era and settings she so eloquently described. I particularly enjoyed the journey to the island as along with the descriptions of the sea and scenery there was a sense of foreboding, despite our heroines enthusiasm for her new start. Once we were ensconced at Dorchadas House the tale took on an eerie feel and as we met each character one by one I became evermore curious. I do hope that this book is the foundation for a full lengt ...more
Christina
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emmanuelle is a master storyteller. This book swept me into the mists of Scotland from the very first page. The Isle of Eirig is mysterious along with its inhabitants. There seems to be an open secret that everyone knows except for Iris. But there is something that seems to be calling out to Iris. Something that reaches out to her blood and soul. I loved the intensity and mystery surrounding Dorchadas House. This was a compelling read and I enjoyed it very much! I voluntarily read this book in e ...more
Nayou
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! I was taken by the book since the first pages & the suspense kept building. I received it as an ARC & this is my honest opinion. It is not the first book I read from this author & she keeps on thrilling me. It is so well written that it propels you immediately in the story. Which is set in Scotland & is inspired by the folklore of the county. The “ambiance” is gothic of course which is my favorite. My only wish is only if it was longer.
Keep on going Emmanuelle by using this beautiful
Gea
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an enchanting story of an extraordinary island, that is called Eirig!

If you’ve ever lived on an island you’ll know that you have to be quite independent and inventive to create a good life there.
If you try to fit in and keep an open mind for all that is different than what you know you can make it.

I’ve only lived on an island for five years and it was a great experience, but nothing like what I’ve read in this book.
Eerie and erotic.

I received a copy and this is my honest and voluntary revie
Alison
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully atmospheric story - full of the mysteries and pagan rites of the Scottish Western Isles.

Drawn to The Isle of Eirig, after the death of her father, Iris finds the Island calling to her. It is drawing her into the ways of old. Is the island a part of her life that is missing?

This book draws you in from the start - it is like the book is calling to you and not just the island to Iris.
Mom2three
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No one does gothic like Emmanuelle de Maupassant! Every time I pick up one of her books I am reminded of the Bronte sisters. I am swept to the past in all its glory. Her words paint a vivid picture and I am living the story more than just reading it. I love the slow build up of anticipation and suspense. All of her stories are beautifully written. The only complaint I have is that I wish they were longer. I could have spent a lot more time in the pages of this captivating tale.
C Joy
I received a gift copy and I am voluntarily reviewing this.

So far, I've only read The Gentlemen's Club (Noire#1) and I loved it. This novel is a mystery and while it started out slow, I was pulled into it.

I loved the author's vivid imagery and picturesque landscapes. I can imagine all too well the house and the maze she described. There is lust but not as hedonistic as The Gentlemen's Club and this doesn't exactly have a cliffhanger but the author left it to us readers' imagination.
Ian D.
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eerie and engaging story

If you enjoy a short, slowly-building gothic tale with a twist at the end, then do check out Dorchadas House. Both the fictional location and the choice of time period worked well for me. The tension is slowly built up from a combination of unsettling incidents, each relatively minor on their own, but the cumulative effect is plausible. Some interesting characters, too. I really enjoyed reading it, and felt engaged by the main character Iris.
Charlie B.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can see you, poised over that yellow tab, wondering if you should spend a few pennies on this story, So dare you? Dare you take the plunge, Dare you set foot on the island, dare you enter? Its a step from modernity, and the customs are a little strange here. Passions don't wait for courtship. lust is an impatient bedfellow here, and all around is the wailing wind, and the whispers that inflame. Go on, step across the threshold, and enjoy another of Emmanuelle's trips into the unknown
Rosemary Hughes
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful dark and erotic read from Ms. De Maupassant, with suspense and anticipation bubbling just below the surface, keeping the the reader intrigued and curious to read what comes next.
Although the island of Eirig is fictional, it is not hard to envisage the pagan ways still having been carried out in some of the remote regions.
Roger
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
My fourth read from author Emmanuelle de Maupassant, although I own a number of her works it was an audiobook that enticed me to read her work. In younger days I'd read "Gothic" novels from authors Daphne Du Maurier, Victori Holt & Mary Stewart and the author follows in that genre faithfully with a touch that only Emmanuelle de Maupassant could do. ...more
Elaine
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Gothic story set in an isolated island off Scotland. I defy you to put it down! It is full of mystery and pagan rites, with a great sexual tension. I really loved the atmosphere and excellent writing which transports you there. The characters were quirky and mysterious and you can feel the earthy vibes they give off. Great book!
BP34
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a dark gothic mystery set in the 1940's. Full of suspense and mystery. Well written with complex characters and a ghostly story line. No shortage of drama and a little eroticism. I read a reader copy and voluntarily chose to write a review. Very descriptive and a good read.
LaGina
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You never really know where a story is gonna go when you get your hands on an Emmanuelle de Maupassant. What starts out as a nice little read that seems so innocent until you get sucked into, then you realize that when you are at the end you have been transported to another place and time. I really liked this story and hope to see more.
Linda Rimer-Como
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written story full of mystery and folklore, I found it hard to put down. It is a quick paced read with many unique characters, set on the fictional Scottish island of Eirig, Found this to be an interesting read.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book; all opinions expressed are my own
Armenia
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All is revealed on Samhain

Dorchadas House is a wonderfully, mystifying tale of one woman’s journey to the Isle of Eirig where she discovers a strange pull into the simple life of the island and its mysterious inhabitants. Emmanuelle de Maupassant has such a talent for words and how she weaves them to draw you in completely. Her storytelling left me spellbound while I shared Iris Muir’s curiosity about the people who lived on the property of Dorchadas House. Her purpose in life soon becomes clear
Jaykayrisque
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this because some internet AI thought I should! It's a novella in length (handy to carry in paperback, with a rather nice cover illustration). This book is intended for women I'm sure. But my own hobby-writing indulges a fascination with female thoughts and feelings, so there was my interest!

I admired how readable this is. Deft descriptions set scenes and paint pictures of place, seamlessly creating the atmosphere which is all important to the storytelling. The remote location (strange
Gail Kiogima
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!

What an excellent book! It was not at all what I expected. There is a lot of darkness, but the light comes through in the end.

I really enjoyed reading this story. I received this book as an Advanced Reader Copy.
Kat Ryker
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm torn about this book. I love Emmanuelle's writing. I love erotic stories and she does those very well. But this one was a mixture of everything. It was set in the 1940's, which in my mind jarred with the "gothic" portion of the book. But I got over it as I read farther in. The island and the circumstances of the deaths of so many of its residents is shrouded in mystery, as is the pull Iris feels as she arrives. She is, despite herself, attracted to the gothic and occult history of the island ...more
Connie
Dorchadas House is a story of subtle mystery and longing. It is written in such a way that the reader is lulled into the easy going life of the islanders of Scotland who believe in the old ways. Iris is looking to get away from the travails of her life after caring for her ailing father and the mounting responsibilities of becoming a spinster. When she gets to the Dorchadas House she sees that the house has its own set of secrets and she is content to live within those so that she can keep her o ...more
Space Cowgirl
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People are Strange💀 When You're A Stranger.....

Post WWII murder💀 mystery

Iris is drawn to a remote island in Scotland by an advertisement for help at a crumbling mansion owned by a Laird.
When she gets there, she realizes all is not as it seems. The whole place is crumbling and creepy. The roof leaks and the only electricity is provided by a fuel generator, and only the main living area has wiring. The mansion is isolated from the village on The island.
The Laird is supposedly very ill and dying,
Rhonda Hicks
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story opens with the self memory of a young woman who had no mother and taken care of an ailing father for months until his passing. A town with judgments towards her for being too picky for their men who didn't meet her expectations. In her quest she finds the advertisement for Dorhadas House and their need for someone to help run it in exchange for room, board, and a small wage. Her decision was made.
Emmanuel de Maupassant takes us back to an earlier time where Pagan beliefs were stronger
Vivian Allen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart pounding wildly!

Omg Emmanuelle? What the heck? You mentioned Victoria Holt as one of your inspirations. Well this is absolutely on target girl! I loved VH, she was my first introduction to Gothic romance novels.... I will still reread her works in a heartbeat. Dorchadas House is one of those reads. My heart is beating so hard and fast. Then it ends! What? I need more! It is a great read, albeit a fast read. It has left my mouth opened wide begging for more. Wonderful...intriguing storyline

• How to Bake a Better Cookie: Tips to Create, Package, Gift, and Ship
  • Sovereign's Key
  • Lily's Promise: A Victorian Saga
  • The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga
  • Saltwick River Orphan: Historical Victorian Saga
  • Mercer Girls
  • The Apothecary (Silver Linings Mysteries, #3)
  • Vikings
  • Gwenna The Welsh Confectioner
  • Between the Cracks: One Woman's Journey from Sicily to America
  • The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)
  • The Companion
  • Best Women's Erotica 2007
  • The Pulse (The Barren Trilogy, #1)
  • Bloodling Wolf
  • Nocturne for a Widow (Sybil Ingram #1)
  • Gold, She Spins (Never After Tales)
  • The Clockwork House
Emmanuelle lives with her husband (maker of tea and fruit cake) and loves haggis pudding terriers (those connoisseurs of bacon treats and squeaky toys).

She writes historical tales filled with steam, suspense, and elements of romance.

Visit her website - www.emmanuelledemaupassant.com - to find a FREE story to download, and to sign up for her newsletter (monthly gossip, giveaways and goodies).