Start by marking “Going Off Script” as Want to Read:
Going Off Script

Going Off Script

A TV writer's room intern must join forces with her crush to keep her boss from ruining a lesbian character in this diverse contemporary YA romance from the author of Queens of Geek.

Seventeen-year-old Bex is thrilled when she gets an internship on her favorite tv show, Silver Falls. Unfortunately, the internship isn't quite what she expected... instead of sitting in a crow
Published May 21st 2019 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Going Off Script, please sign up.
Alex Baker She does seem to see herself, presently, as female, though there is a mention of her questioning her gender identity at one point, kind of in passing,…moreShe does seem to see herself, presently, as female, though there is a mention of her questioning her gender identity at one point, kind of in passing, when talking about her complicated life at home, so it's possible she will realize she's non-binary at some point in the future, and if so, awesome...or maybe she's just kinda softly butch, in which case, also awesome. But in the text of the novel, there's no real indication she's reached that point yet.(less)

Start your review of Going Off Script
Cristina Monica
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
June is Pride Month—not that you need me to remind you—so I’m reading almost exclusively books with LGBTQIA+ characters in order to show my support, thus highlighting LGBTQIA+ themed stories. And this is a beautiful, under-the-radar gem you should definitely check out if you, too, want to join the Pride wagon but aren’t sure what would make a great summer read.

Remember the lovely and mildly popular LGBTQIA+ book titled QUEENS OF GEEK? The one with the con, strong friendships and swoon-worthy rel
Natasha
This was a great read. I loved the main character, a relatable Useless Lesbian™. I loved her romance and her relationship with her cousin. This is partly a coming out story, not the full story.

The whole straight-washing part is actually something that showed up much later so I'm confused why it was in the summary. I do like how it went though.

I will say one gripe I had was that the antagonist sort of character was a little too cartoonish but not the worst thing in the world.

Super cute and fun
julianna ➹
I don't think I've ever smiled this much in my life. everyone say thank you jen wilde
kav (xreadingsolacex)
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes you need to fight to be heard, especially when you're the only woman in a room full of men."

Going Off Script by Jen Wilde is a young-adult contemporary novel that follows the story of Bex Phillips, a lesbian 18-year-old who travels down to LA after she is given an internship on her favorite TV show, Silver Falls, where she hopes to catch a glimpse of her dream world where wants to be a writer. Along the way, she happens to meet a fellow lesbian in the industry, Shrupty Pad
Elise (TheBookishActress)
releases: 21 May 2019
okay, okay, I'm going to need y'all to read this blurb. It is about a teen writer. Her boss rewrites her lesbian character as straight. And then she and the actress launch a #DontHideYourGays campaign against the studio and fall in love along the way. GOD BLESS. This book will be about media representation and dating in the public eye and all that good shit.
✨    jamieson   ✨
“This place isn't sunshine and palm trees. It's a mirage that looks like paradise from a distance, but when you get here it's just a dirty, shallow lake with a painted backdrop. Clever lighting and counterfeit smiles draw you in and then chew you up and leave you on the cutting room floor like you're nothing.”

this was cute!. I picked it up because I adored Jen Wilde's Queens of Geek and wanted to give more of her books a chance. While I didn't love this as much as QoG, it was fun and sweet a
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just what I've come to expect from Jen Wilde: fluffy, queer, and totally enthralling. I read this almost entirely in a day, and I finished it frantically reading while walking home from the bus stop, unable to put it down. It also has some overlapping side characters from Queens of Geek and The Brightsiders. There are so many geeky references, and so much love for fandom--especially queer fandom. There's also anxiety rep from the main character and talk of growing up poor. Two of the side charac ...more
Iris
Anyways this was perfection go read it.

In all seriousness though, this book blew me away. I will recognize that it objectively had some flaws - there were definitely parts that could have been developed a lot more.

But fuck I loved this book.

Going Off Script is a love letter to queerness. It so perfectly sums up so many of my feelings and experiences (as well as so many things that I personally haven't experienced, that are so important too). Reading it felt like a warm hug.

It didn't gloss over t
Sahitya
CW: homophobic comments (challenged)

I was actually very excited to read this book before it’s release but I somehow lost sight of it among all other new releases. When I was browsing my list of books to be read (which actually aren’t on my Goodreads tbr), I realized I had completely forgotten about this one and immediately decided to pick it up. And I’m so happy that I did.

I really loved the author’s The Brightsiders last year, so I was pretty sure I was gonna enjoy this book too. Imagine my su
love, tappkalina
3.75 ✰
♡ ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡
#WeAreLyla
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received a copy from the publisher for the blog tour, this is no way affects my opinion

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: Anxiety, harrassment, homophobia, queerbaiting.

I have such an amazing history with Jen Wilde’s books. Queens of Geek was one of my favourite reads of 2017 (was it 2017? I think so.) and I read The Brightsiders earlier this year which also was a book I adored. And although I did have a couple qualms with Going off-script, I enjoyed it
kory.
Given that Queens of Geek and The Brightsiders were five and four stars, respectively, and the former a favorite, I truly thought that if anyone could make me not hate a "serious topic fandom book", it would Jen Wilde.

But.

Nope nope nope.

Content/trigger warnings for sexism, misogyny, anxiety, ADHD, mentions of medication, mentions of past bullying, mentions of poverty, mentions of parental abandonment, coming out, cheating, queerphobic language, queerphobia, mentions of past homophobia, alcohol,
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

3.5 stars. Jen Wilde is slowly but surely becoming my favourite Contemporary author. I can count on her books to be super inclusive and talk about issues of marginalized people with a good sprinkle of fame, fandom and pop culture. And Going Off Script is no exception.

“If you don't want me when I was an insecure, closeted nerd girl, you don't get me at my badass, out-and-proud nerd girl.”

While I know that many will find the novel too fast moving, I have kinda come
Silvia
Mar 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wlw, ff-romance
If you I've ever needed a book as badly as I need this, think again
Clara
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book was SUPER CUTE and yet SO IMPORTANT. It deals with so many important subjects and I’ll try to list them all on here later on! I’m keep my .5 because my baby Alfie wasn’t mentioned, but JEN WILDE YOU HAVE MY HEART FOREVER.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Bex is psyched that she's finally getting out of her dead-end Washington state hometown and moving to LA as an intern for her favorite show Silver Falls. But instead of sitting in the writer's room and helping to pitch ideas, she's picking up coffees and is basically shunted aside. Bex stays silent when the misogynistic showrunner steals her idea, but when he tries to straight-wash her queer character in order to mitigate another actor's homophobic rant, Bex can't stay silent.

What an exciting re
[Second read, for class, February 2020]:

Jen Wilde has proven herself adept at writing heartfelt queer YA romances with strong messages about diverse representation and the power of fandom, and Going Off Script is no exception.

When Bex Phillips leaves her “suffocating” hometown for Los Angeles to intern at her favorite television show, “Silver Falls” (think “Teen Wolf”), she’s excited to come out as gay and to take a step towards her showrunner dreams, but neither goes according to plan. The sh
rachel ☾

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Bex (mc) is a lesbian, questioning her gender, and has ADHD & anxiety; Shrupty (li) is Indian and a lesbian; Parker (sc) is gay; Will (sc) is gay; Dante (sc) is Black & gay; Alyssa (sc) is Black & queer; other bipoc & queer scs.

Blog
Marie the Librarian
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feels
ARGH I JUST LOVE JEN WILDE SO MUCH!! I love all her characters and stories and its just SUCH A FREAKING JOY TO READ!! <3 I NEED MORE NOW ...more
Marie
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
Real rating: 4,5 stars.
Jen Wilde's books make me happy, smile, want to stand up and fight. I adore the characters with all my heart, how diverse and amazing the cast is, the romance had me melting and the tv setting and ahhhhh. I loved this so much okay.
Read my full review of Going Off-Script on the blog.

Thank you to MacMillan International/Swoon Reads for sending me an ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter -
Elke
Mar 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: want-to-buy
#donthideyourgays AND f/f?! I'm so in love can i have this book already?
Līga Sproģe
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
8,5/10

Dreams, queers and happy feels. 😊
↠ dan ↞
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtq
3.5/5 stars. this was such a cute, light read !!! perfect for pride month♡
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Going Off Script was one of the contemporary books I was most looking forward to this year.  I read The Brightsiders last year and loved it.  Going Off Script was just as good and Jen Wilde is now an auto buy author for me.  (And there are little bits of The Brightsiders in this book.)

The book starts with Bex arriving in LA and seeing it for the first time.  She was bullied and didn't have many friends back home in Washington.  Her cousin, Parker, moved to LA to do make-up.  Bex just got an int
Anniek
I was very apprehensive to start this novel, because I love Queens of Geek and The Brightsiders with all my heart, and I guess I was really afraid this wouldn't live up to my super high expectations. But of course I needn't haven worried, because Jen Wilde totally did it again.

This book is just so queer, and I loved every minute of reading it. It was amazing to see neurodiversity represented as well: Bex has anxiety and she takes Ritalin, which, combined with the descriptions of her functioning,
faith ✨
fortunately very gay; also spoke to me on a spiritual level // rtc
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

I received a copy from Raincoast books in exchange for a honest review.

GUYS! Everyone was super jealous of me when I received this ARC and I have to be honest. I didn't get the hype. But the only reason is because I never read a Jen Wilde book before but her Queens of Geeks book that BLEW UP on instagram last year. Now that I read a book from Jen, I get it. I get why people love her books because her writing is so easy to sink your teeth into. I flew by this book because t
Heinerway
I have a soft spot for young adult books, so of course I liked this lovely story. I liked it very much. And especially I loved Bex, the wonderful main character.
Dylan
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

This was so cute! It was a really good time reading about the behind the scenes of a tv show and I also loved the protagonist.

Kathy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was everything I needed, and I cannot wait for this story to be shared with the world. I love this world that Jen has created, and can only hope that the characters who populate it keep showing up in books for years to come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • If It Makes You Happy
  • The Meaning of Birds
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • The Lost Coast
  • The Gay Girl's Guide to Ruining Prom
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • The Weight of the Stars
  • Late to the Party
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Wild and Crooked
  • Amelia Westlake
Jen Wilde is the YA author of QUEENS OF GEEK, THE BRIGHTSIDERS and GOING OFF SCRIPT. She writes unapologetically queer stories about geeks, rockstars, and fangirls who smash the patriarchy in their own unique ways.

Her books have been praised in Teen Vogue, Buzzfeed, Autostraddle, Vulture and Bustle. Originally from Australia, Jen now lives in NYC where she spends her time writing, drinking too mu

News & Interviews