Start by marking “It Takes Death To Reach A Star” as Want to Read:
It Takes Death To Reach A Star

It Takes Death To Reach A Star

(It Takes Death To Reach A Star #1)

The world you know is dead. We did this to ourselves.

The epidemic struck at the end of the Third World War. Fighting over oil, power, and religion, governments ignored the rise of an antibacterial-resistant plague. In just five years, the Earth was annihilated. Only one city survived—Etyom—a frozen hellhole in northern Siberia, engulfed in endless conflict.

The year is
Published May 22nd 2018 by Vesuvian Books

To ask other readers questions about It Takes Death To Reach A Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes Death To Reach A Star

L.S. Popovich
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I received an advanced review copy of the book without knowing anything about the authors beforehand. Immediately, I was not sure about the title. “It Takes Death to Reach a Star” brings to mind a corny line from a sci-fi movie, something a character says right as they press the button to enter hyperspace.
A few things you should know before reading this book, and I do think you should read it:
The chapters are very short. It is a relatively quick read due to the unrelenting pace and short sentenc
May 舞
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

As I was telling my friend about this book, about how it portrays a bleak future in which rich people separate themselves from the rest of us "inferior" beings and live in the sky, enslaving us to work for them under inhumane conditions and setting us against each other via acts of terrorism and barbarism, while also making themselves biologically superior through genetic modification...She was like "Dude, that's our world now."

And while that may sound like an exaggeration, I do believe
Sherry Fundin
Started out slow for me, but it ended with a bang! I absorbed the detail of the ‘cities’ and characters. It Takes A Death T Reach A Star is much more than I expected. I have two pages of notes I took while reading, but most of that is going by the wayside and I’ll shoot from the hip.

The book takes place in Russia, but it’s not like the Russia you know. Some people have managed to survive WWIII and the New Black Death, where almost nine billion people died..

Mila is a Robust and Dimitri is a Graci
♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
description

i need to stop screwing around with freaking netgalley.

this is getting freaking ridiculous.
Jonas Saul
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an insane ride! I loved every page of this novel. Man, these guys can write well. The ideas, the world, and the characters, all came together to drive this novel into a wicked conclusion. For the record, as much as I loved several characters--like Mila and Demetri--I really loved Vedmak. I wanted more Vedmak! His dialogue was spot on and had me gasping and laughing at different times. Excellent work. Cannot wait for more from these guys.
Bella James
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect blend of Dystopia and Sci-Fi *****

Intrigued by the cover and great title I was not disappointed with this perfectly crafted Thriller. I love when writers can cross genres to make the unbelievable believable.
"Unputdownable" in every sense.
Tess Burnside
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It Takes Death To Reach a Star was a remarkable read. I just finished reading an ARC of It and it blew me away.

It takes a whole lot of creative genius to create a world, characters and scenes that are so believable that they just grab you and pull you in. The fact that it was a creative partnership between Gareth Worthington and Stu Jones just amazes me. I'm familiar with the work from both of these authors, and it is wonderful. They have come together and poured their souls into a worthwhile re
BeeWitchedShelves
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We have one life to live, use yours to make a difference."Synopsis:Set in a dystopian Earth ravaged by the New Black Death the generations of survivors have founded Etyom, a society where genetics matter and there is one called the Leader to rule them. The genetically engineered Graciles live above the clouds and plague in advanced homes; The Robusts make up the enclaves below where savagery, drugs & sex are a means for survival.─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───Mila Solokoff is a bounty hunter of ...more
Katie Harder-schauer
I was hired to proofread this book. The only aspects of the story that I influenced were the spelling and grammar. If you feel that my connection to this book makes my review untrustworthy, so be it, but this is my honest review.

I am a big fan of dystopian novels, but I occasionally find myself wondering why certain places end up being where humanity survived whatever caused the collapse of society as we know it. That was not the case for me with It Takes Death to Reach a Star. It makes perfect
Space Cowgirl
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Use Your Life To Make A Difference🔪🔫

Dystopian Sci-fi

World War III💥 and The New Black Death💀 pretty much annihilate the human race on Earth🌍. Survivors gravitate to a Russian city in Siberia where the Black Death💀 can't seem to touch them. Much. The new city is named Etyom.

Etyom, A couple of hundred years later.......
The descendants of the original refugees are still living in Etyom. It's still a deathly cold, miserable place. The New Black Death💀 is still present but not so much anymore.

In this
daisy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finally realised that I can download kindle/kobo apps on my phone, so I wanted to get through some of the books I've nabbed for free or while they were on sale. I don't know what it is about ebooks, but I always seem to zoom through them, so hopefully this'll put an end to my reading slump!

1.5 stars.
Overall... pretty disappointing. I didn't really have high expectations because I didn't know anything about it prior to starting, but??
Maybe RTC but I don't know if I'll ever get around to typing
Patrycja
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through GoodReads giveaway.

"We take death to reach a star" Vincent van Gogh.

I just finished this novel...
And I am trying to digest the whole story.
And I want to scream because this is not the end I was expecting. How dare you Mr. Jones and Mr. Worthington to play with my emotions this way?
This novel is such a rollercoaster. It is written with amazing style, the characters are so well developed. There is bad Ass female protagonist. And bad guys, and good guys.
This is great sci-
Jena
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The streets are dark and cold, shadows upon shadows concealing the horrors of Etyom. It’s hard to believe this place was once considered a haven.”

We find ourselves in a distant but believable future. One where a plague, powerful, resistant, crept over the world while we fought over things that in the end, didn’t matter. The cold and isolation of a distant city in the Northern reaches of Siberia, the only one to survive.

From this city, mankind has lived, though they’ve struggled. And two very di
William
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read.

Stu and Gareth have very different takes on what the sci-fi genre should feel like and I think they compliment each other well. Both were able to craft a world ripped apart by death and disease, yet ripe with a feel of an advanced, alternate future. I was attracted to the main characters immediately because they are, in and of themselves, two types of science fiction, working together to blend post-apocalyptic grit with futuristic, yet realistic science.

The action is surgic
Jenny Lambert
An original work in this genre, which i believe is hard to find. Stu and Gareth gave us a perfect futuristic novel that makes you want to keep the pages turning. The characters were well developed and the plot perfect. Just enough action to keep it thrilling.

I personally love how Mila has a blind faith in something and plans to stick to it. I enjoyed how Demitri has enough history to keep the readers wanting more.

I enjoyed how the authors works melded together to make ITDTRAS. sometimes when mo
Marc Van housen
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! AMAZING!!. As a huge fan of post apocalyptic dystopian novels I was looking forward to reading this. And it did not disappoint. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a ARC copy to dive into. It Takes Death has a well detailed description of our lead characters, Mila and Demetri. Two people from completely different worlds, faith vs. science. It really grabs you and makes you want more. All I really need to say is I want more Vedmak. If your looking for an edge of your seat experience. This ...more
Heather
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-tour
Wow. Just wow. I haven’t read anything sci-fi or dystopian in a while, so I had zero expectations going in to It Takes Death to Reach a Star by Stu Jones and Gareth Worthington. The blurb sounded interesting and what I found inside of the pages was phenomenally well-thought out, researched, and executed. Set two hundred years in the future after an antibiotic resistant plague has wiped out most of humanity after the end of World War III, only a small population of humans living in Siberia has su ...more
FanFiAddict
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, thanks to the authors and publisher for a copy of It Takes Death to Reach a Star in exchange for an honest review. Receiving a free copy of this novel in no way, shape, or form influences my thoughts or opinions.

2018 DRAGON AWARD FINALIST – BEST SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL
2018 SCIENCE FICTION WINNER OF THE NEW YORK BOOK FESTIVAL
2018 CYGNUS AWARD SHORTLIST

“…merging the best of apocalyptic fiction and sci-fi … compelling.” – Library Journal

“Cinematic, thought-provoking, immersive … in the man
Jennifer Perkins
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I chose to read, “It Takes Death to Reach A Star,” based on the Van Gogh quote of the same topic. This book did not disappoint. It is classical science fiction. It makes you think, it makes you dream. It makes you excited. It terrifies you. It has you on the edge of your seat, and you can’t put it down.

The story takes place from the point of view of several characters: the lower class Mila, who’s just trying to make a living; Dmitri, who’s trying to stop the demon in his head; and Vedmak, who’s
Amanda
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
{I recieved an ARC from the authors and @tlcbooktours for an honest review}

Let me start by saying I do not read much Sci-fi so this book took me completely out of my comfort zone. I found It Takes Death To Reach A Star to be a solid beginning to what I believe will be a great Science fiction dystopian series.

It Takes Death To Reach A Star has complex characters and a complex story line. Let's start with Mila Solokoff, she's a bit rough around the edges. In this dystopian world she is part of the
Cath
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about different classes of people. Various ones, separated by race or religion, live in their own areas of Etyom. The only city to survive after the third world war and then a plague which decimated most of the inhabitants of the planet, in a not too distant future. The people who think themselves above all those on the ground, the Graciles, live in pods far above the ground and completely separated. They have enhanced themselves with tech and genetics and ‘broken’ manufactured embryo’s ...more
M. Inks
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, sci-fi lovers, dystopia lover
From page 1 I felt that I was right there in the enclaves and on the Lili pads. I realized about halfway through the book that I was going to tear through the book in less than a week I was so into the story. It Takes Death To Be A Star, takes you right into the dangerous world of the Robust and the Gracile struggling to maintain the only world they’ve ever known and have left. I loved chapters that would switch from Mila to Demitri. Being inside his head was a constant struggle between himself ...more
S
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mila a Robust had that I will kick your butt if you look at me wrong attitude that immediately made me like her. Her life pretty much sucks but she’s still going to get as much out of it as she can. Being a courier of information that everyone wants can really shorten your life expectancy but hey if it keeps me eating I will do it seems to be Mila’s motto. Unfortunately her delivery has now landed her on several of the really bad guys radar and she’s trying to stay one step ahead of them and hop ...more
Christine Rose
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never ever read a story like this for its genre and I loved it. The authors managed to create a book that includes history, religion and science. It’s dark and that’s only natural since humanity has suffered the Third World War and a plague, darkness is what makes it realistic.

The Robusts are the poor and the unfortunate, while the Graciles are at the top of the world, literally. I was expecting the classical two different worlds fight, but it never happened and I was not disappointed by
Chrisrapier
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is a rollercoaster ride of a book!

Set in the world that emerges from the wreckage of world war three and told from the perspective of two very different protagonists living very different existences. Not wanting to give too much away, the novel describes a dystopian world that is believable and also reflects some of the problems we face in our own times. The two lead characters are extremely well realised - Mila and Demetri - and partly because there are two authors, have very distinct
Jon Guenther
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly original and gritty

It's practically improbable to find original work in this genre today, but no question Stu and Gareth are a winning combination. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, if it did seem overly long. Then again, so did the last Blade Runner movie, but during the actual experience I didn't care! I have to be honest and say same here. Well written, fast-paced, interesting science, and plenty of action made this one of the best SF novels I've read in a while. Grab it and simply enjoy
Christine Grace
It Takes Death to Reach a Star is a very interesting dystopian story set in northern Siberia. I love reading fiction books set in dystopian worlds, especially when one is very intelligently and meticulously created. When it feels real while I read it, when it makes my heart beat so fast anticipating what's next, that's when I know a book is good. And this book is definitely one hell of a ride, original, and breathtaking!

At first, it started very slow for me. However, I understand how the author
RedzDw
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
„It takes death to reach a star“ was one hell of a good read for me. The writing is quick and rich at the same time- didn‘t feel for one second as if I was reading through some pages too fast, as I usually do.

The way the book is written, in first person present tense from the point of view of the two main characters makes the story even more interesting and touching.

As a professional scientist I enjoyed the carefully placed facts and ideas in it and even felt inspired.

The ending of this book mak
Chrissi
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
If you love a sci-fi read, you will love this!!
The authors have created a fantastic story. The characters are rich and fully developed, and the world in which they live, is one that is easy to envision. This book will suck you in and spit you out the other side- make sure you have no plans because you will not out this down once you start!
Amber
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review posted on my blog The Writer's Library.

"'Don’t throw your life away, Mila. We have one life to live, one life to give in the service of the Lightbringer. Use yours to make a difference.'
'Very poetic Bilgi, but–'
The old man gently touches my arm–an uncharacteristic gesture for him. 'Just do something that matters with the time you’ve been given, Mila.'"

Interesting book to end the summer on. Before I get into my thoughts, let’s take a minute and discuss what this story is actually ab
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dawn of the Infected: A Prequel Novella (Hybrid Chronicles)
  • Bones Omnibus
  • Life After the Undead (Life After the Undead #1)
  • Sugar Scars
  • Joshua and the Arrow Realm (Lightning Road #2)
  • Sarai's Fortune (Shadowcat Nation, #2)
  • Your Name, In Fire (Vampire Geek Cycle, #1)
  • Pretty Dark Sacrifice (Pretty Dark Nothing, #2)
  • The Prophecy (A Dragon's Tale, #1)
  • Dark Light: Dawn
  • At The Sharp End of Lightning (Oceanlight #1)
  • The Dragon Empire
  • Broken Dolls (The Telepathic Clans #3)
  • Icy Passage
  • Frostwalker
  • Satan's Son
  • Hunter (Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, #2)
  • Bianca: The Brave Frail and Delicate Princess
SWAT Sniper. Adventurer. Award-Winning Author of Epic Science Fiction.

A veteran law enforcement officer, Stu has worked as a beat cop, an investigator, an instructor of firearms and police defensive tactics and as a member and team leader of a multi-jurisdictional SWAT team. He is trained and qualified as a law enforcement SWAT sniper, as well as in hostage rescue and high-risk entry tactics. Most

It Takes Death To Reach A Star (2 books)
  • In The Shadow Of A Valiant Moon (It Takes Death To Reach A Star, #2)