Start by marking “#FashionVictim” as Want to Read:
#FashionVictim

#FashionVictim

Fashion editor Anya St. Clair is on the verge of greatness. Her wardrobe is to die for. Her social media is killer. And her career path is littered with the bodies of anyone who got in her way. She’s worked hard to get where she is, but she doesn’t have everything.

Not like Sarah Taft. Anya’s obsession sits one desk away. Beautiful, stylish, and rich, she was born to be a f
Published September 11th 2018 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about #FashionVictim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about #FashionVictim

Start your review of #FashionVictim
Christina - Traveling Sister
3.5 death, lip gloss and, like, OMG stars!!!

In honor of #FashionVictim's release day, a full review is now posted to my blog Recipe and a Read!

If Clueless and Jawbreaker had a baby, it's name would be #FashionVictim.

God, there was always so much work to do. Update this, kill so-and-so. I wish people understood how hard we worked in fashion - all to make it look effortless, easy.

#FashionVictim follows Anya St. Clair at top fashion magazine La Vie. She has a coveted position of Associate Editor wh
Norma
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

Fashionably dark and a wickedly fun read! Dexter anyone?

#FashionVictim by Amina Akhtar is a campy, compulsive and highly entertaining dark comedy that was a refreshing and fun book to read. It started off a little shaky for me but it sure didn’t take me long to be wrapped up in Anya’s world of fashion, her deadly antics and her mood boards.

AMINA AKHTAR delivers a creative, interesting, unique and easy read here with characters that were not the easiest to like but boy were they ever c
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you ever finish a book and think, “Wow! WTF??? But wow!” That is the best way I can describe this fun, dark, twisted book. It is completely bananas!!! The protagonist Anya is off her rocker. Some might say whack-y (get it? Because of the murders!) I was really intrigued when I read the description of this book, and it was much better than I even imagined. I genuinely could not put it down. And for such dark subject matter, I frequently found myself laughing out loud! What a trip this one was! ...more
Carol (Bookaria)
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an over-the-top, absolutely entertaining, dark comedy.

The story follows Anya St. Clair who works in a fashion magazine and whose main goal in life is to become besties with her glamorous and influential co-worker Sarah Taft. When the opportunity for a promotion is put on the table, Anya becomes hyper-focused on getting it, even if it requires taking extreme and deadly measures.

This novel is deliciously addictive and once I started reading I could not stop. The story is told from the poin
Holly  B
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
#Devious #Satire

Anya St.Clair  is one psychotic character who takes climbing the ladder of success to a whole new level (murder)!!!  She is an editor at La Viea New York fashion magazine that features all the latest trends. The office mean girls obsess over the latest designer bags, Louboutin heels and green juices. Who knew a size 6 was overweight? Anya is completely obsessed with a co-worker, Sarah, and vows to do "whatever it takes" to gain her friendship (including kissing her toned a*
Berit☀️✨
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
An outrageous, unique, and dark story with the perfect amount of #craycray

Loved this! Are you kidding me? A book about fashion where I get to spend the entire time in the mind of a complete whackadoodle? It’s a dream come true, don’t judge! I am SO #teamanya loved her! Well with the exception of the murdering thing, and the obsession thing, and the fact that she had no moral compass, but who am I to judge?😉

Anya is a fashionista working for a fashion magazine with her eye on the prize, and nothin
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

It appears the marketing blurb has been changed a teensie bit, because I’m positive when I decided I want to read #fashionvictim it was said to be “The Devil Wears Prada meets American Psycho.” Having now read this book, I can only say . . . .

I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to see a comparison that makes sense and not one that just barfs out it’s “the next Gone Girl.”

This may have been a right place/right time read for m
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Traveling Sisters Group Read.

Norma and I read #FashionVictim with three of our Traveling Sisters and we all were drawn into this story right away.  However, we did have some different thoughts on this one.

Amina Akhtar takes some of the sillier parts of the fashion world and turns it to ridiculously, uncanny and bizarre over the top fun  The characters are so exaggerated unlikeable and stereotyped it will have you laughing out loud at times but also feeling a little uncomfortable as well.  There
Melisa
Sep 17, 2018 added it
DNF @ 100 pages. It’s a case of it’s not you it’s me. Please see the other rave reviews for this one - I am definitely in the minority here.
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
#FashionVictim by Amina Akhtaris a book I requested and the review is voluntary. This book has Mean Girls marries Dexter and you get the main character in here. It is a dark, odd, but good book but....it does have murder (gory scenes), racism, fat shaming, and bullying. There is dry humor, dark humor sprinkled through the book. It is a strange subject, fashion, to have murder going on but it works. Interesting and disturbing, funny at times and hated it at times, a one of a kind!
Lo O'Neill
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
"God there was always so much work to do. Update this, kill so-and-so. I wish people understood how hard we worked in fashion all to make it look effortlessly easy."

This was a delightful dark, campy comedy that was such an easy read that I will probably read it again and again for some light relief.

It was the kind of book that was so vivid that I felt like I was watching a movie, and make no mistake this book will make an amazing movie which I will be very excited to go and see. All of the ch
Edward Lorn
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most unique denouements I've ever read. My first contestant for Book of the Year 2019. Buy it. Now.

Video review: https://youtu.be/enFobmGahSU
Jenny
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
#OMG #WTF #WOW #TWISTED #CRAZY #REALLYCRAZY
If you have ever wondered what would happen if you mixed The Devil Wears Prada with American Psycho then Amina Akhtar’s book, #FashionVictim is for you.
Over the top characters take backstabbing and climbing the corporate ladder to new extremes.
Why worry about working hard to get promoted when you can just murder the competition instead?
Only make sure you are wearing the latest Marc Jacobs jacket paired with the Chanel pencil skirt and Manolo pumps while
Dennis
#FashionVictim is a perfect blend of American Psycho meets The Devil Wears Prada, sprinkled in with some Jane Doe. Anya St. Clair is working at La Vie, the fashion conglomerate stationed in New York and she's in one of the most cutthroat businesses in the city. Her role as fashion editor has given her the opportunity to be part of the fashion elite—the high society of New York. After her boss, the editor-in-chief, offers her and a colleague the chance at a promotion, Anya knows that it's her ...more
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Danielle Esplin

Have you ever thought about sticking a shard of glass into someone’s chest and kicking them while they’re bleeding out? Yeah, me neither. But you might, after reading #FashionVictim. I’m in the entertainment industry, and I’ve had my fair share of insufferable comments and shade. But I’ve never met anyone as daunting as the backstabbing (yes, I mean that literally) coterie of girls in this delicious parody about the fashion world’s most ruthless social climbers.

Any
Julie Parks
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller

LOVE that cover design!!! I totally judged this book by its cover and turned out RIGHT this time.

I was a little surprised about how much I enjoyed it actually. Not that I expected I wouldn't, just been a bad few hypes lately. I feared this would turn out to be some sort of chick lit - thriller crossover, but nothing of the sort.

Don't get me wrong there's plenty of girls in various shapes forms and outfits, but the main narrator is nothing like your regular fashion chick.

I loved the attitude of t
Rincey
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author

Watch me discuss it more in my reading vlog: https://youtu.be/upSzTm5QfmQ
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
*This is now available! and definitely worth the read!*

3.5/5. What a fun and creepy read. The description of this being The Devil Meets Prada mixed with Heathers is pretty spot-on. Or like Gossip Girl and Scream. It’s dark, it’s funny, it’s deluded.
We know right away that the narrator is a murderer with mental issues, mainly obsession. She becomes obsessed with Sarah, an icon in the fashion world, and infiltrates her life after getting a job at the same magazine.

Though the main character is, y
Linda Strong
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018
The fashion industry is front and center in this dark, sometimes humorous, satire.

Anya is a fashion editor who has worked hard to get as successful as she is. She has the job .. the clothes... the social media ... the name. She also has the bodies of anyone who ever got in her way.

When Sarah becomes her top competition for a promotion, the budding friendship may turn fatal. She's a one-woman killing machine in designer clothes.

Catty, back-stabbing, malicious, mean girls make up most of the chara
Jenny
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#OMG #WTF #WOW #TWISTED #CRAZY #REALLYCRAZY
Leah
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hey. Hey, you. Yeah, ask me if this was funny or entertaining. Go on.

You: *Was this fun—*

First, I feel lied to because this is not what I expected. Don't compare it to the Devil Wears Prada and then put ... this in front of me. From start to finish I seriously wondered what the point of this book was. The plot felt like it was all over the place, and that was probably be because the main character was all over the place. And not in a good way. Anya is a psychopath. The girl is a mess and not
Sarah Joint
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A completely over the top, ridiculous, dark, but often funny inside look at the fashion world. It can get a little gory at times, and there were moments I laughed at where I stopped myself afterward and asked myself if I should really find that humorous! (In case you're wondering, I'm still unsure.) It's an entertaining read for sure, and one of the more unique books I've read lately. Dialing back the OMG WTF language just a little would have led to a higher rating from me, but I still enjoyed i ...more
Jessica
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to Crooked Lane Books for the free copy in exchange for my honest review!

I will always enjoy a slasher novel with some humor to it. #FASHIONVICTIM was exactly that! We get a glimpse into the cut throat world that is the fashion industry and how ruthless people are - friends aren't always what they seem to be.

Anya St. Clair is working for the fashion magazine La Vie and is absolutely infatuated with her coworker, Sarah Taft. Sarah is perfect in every way, from her rich family to her blonde
MissBecka
Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this early release copy.
Anya is a young miss just trying to make her way in the fashion world and bi*ches keep getting in her way.
I thought this would be a Devil Wears Prada sort of book with a hint of mystery.
It is soooooooo much better!!!
Anya is neurotic, paranoid, hilarious and creepy.
So of course I LOVED her!!!!
Though if I'm being honest I would never wanna meet that brand of crazy.
The side characters were interesting and catty (Jack was super a
Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

Buddy read with Rachel!

4.5/5

CW: death, murder, obsession, gore, and graphic violence

This was another Book of the Month choice. Right when I read the description they provided, I knew this was going to provide hilarity, horror, and a good time. I wasn’t wrong.

Anya St. Clair is… psychotic. I would label her as psychotic. Perhaps borderline personality disorder, too, but more psychotic. She was a female version of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. (But t
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of #FASHION VICTIM by Amina Akhtar in exchange for my honest review.***

Take the movies HEATHERS and CLUELESS add a dash of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, sprinkle with extra satire and you’ve got #FASHION VICTIM.

Anka is obsessed with coworker and fashion icon Sarah. Obsessed with a capital O. Anka want Sarah all to herself, to be Sarah, who only scorns her biggest fan. We know Anka sees a therapist Dr. M, but not why. Whatever the reason, I
Alaina
The publishing company reached out to me to see if I wanted to read this book in exchange for an honest review. I accepted and here it is.

#FashionVictim is a mixture of The Devil Wears Prada, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, Fat Shaming, Racism, and a whole bunch of other shit.

Now if you like all of those things with a dash murder thrown in there.. well, this book is for you. However, for me.. if I'm being completely honest - my eyes may or may not have rolled throughout this book.

At first, I w
Jill
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was really meh for me. Anya works at a big fashion magazine where she idolizes her colleague, Sarah. She is willing to do whatever it takes to become her.

This did not live up to my expectations. All of the characters were airheads and not likable at all. I understand that's the whole point, as it's satire and over the top on fashion industry stereotypes. However, it was overdone most of the time. Sometimes I laughed, but mostly I cringed. It did get pretty gross and gory, which I didn't mi
Katie
...who are these people giving five stars and did we get the same book??

That's a little dramatic... I do think I see a couple aspects some readers might like.

It’s a very quick read that lets you tumble in and out of the bizarre, funhouse version of the fashion world in just a few hours. I’d absolutely watch a short TV series of Fashion Victim. With the right creative team, I can imagine it being a campy, shocking, and exciting ride.

As a novel, however, the story was... underwhelming. It was har
Kayla
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

In this story we follow Anya, as she is very successful in the media and modelling and fashion business. She works hard to get where she is today but her not-so-friend Sarah doesnt even try, she's flawless and doesn't put any effort in to being the best.
Anya wants to become her friend. Her best friend.

So I read the synopsis and I instantly fell in love
Paper & Glam Book...: August 2019 | #fashionvictim 12 100 Aug 30, 2019 07:52PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: #FashionVictim By Amina Akhtar - Starting January 8th 2019 15 12 Jan 10, 2019 08:11AM
Book of The Month: Fashion Victim 3 22 Sep 22, 2018 01:55PM

• No Exit
  • Loving My Actual Christmas: An Experiment in Relishing the Season
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Sweet Little Lies (Cat Kinsella, #1)
  • Lock Every Door
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • The Guest List
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Girl From Blind River
  • An Anonymous Girl
Amina Akhtar is a former fashion writer and editor. She’s worked at Vogue, Elle.com, Style.com, NYTimes.com, and NYMag.com where she was the founding editor of The Cut blog. She’s written for numerous publications, including Yahoo Style, Fashionista, xoJane, Refinery29, Billboard, and for brands like Bergdorf Goodman and H&M’s 10 Years of Style tome. After toiling in the fashion ranks for over fif ...more