Start by marking “The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth” as Want to Read:

This passionate expertise manifesto is intended to elevate the impact of advisors who sell insight as entrepreneurs. Three foundational chapters form the basis of the entire book: experts develop insight by isolating patterns in data; they convert those insights to wealth by crafting a unique positioning for which few available substitutes exist; and their confidence grows ...more
Published March 3rd 2018 by RockBench Publishing Corp.

To ask other readers questions about The Business of Expertise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Business of Expertise

Start your review of The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth
Tim Kadlec
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at https://timkadlec.com/read/2019/the-b...
------

I have never liked the term "expert", and I've not been shy about it. So when a friend recommended The Business of Expertise I bristled a little. Still, the reviews were great and moving past the term, using my experience and the knowledge I've gained to help organizations is how I make a living so there was no denying the topic was relevant.

The book started off a bit slow. The first several chapters are pretty foundational

Jay Buys
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the owner of a small (7 person) digital agency, I often felt like David was pulling directly from concerns inside my own head. Great insights, lots of practical information and written in a way that's engaging. I would highly recommend this to any entrepreneur or small business owner.
Tom Fornoff
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a career and life-changing book for a very specific segment, of which I'm an aspiring member. “This book isn’t just about expertise. It’s about entrepreneurial expertise, or individuals who use expertise as their avenue to entrepreneurship."

David C. Baker played a crucial role five years ago when he helped my wife and I sell Yvonne's ad agency. He's thoughtful and helpful, and beyond just knowing the agency business, he's an "expert on being an expert." I quickly skimmed this book when
Clinton
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just not for me. When I picked up this book, I was excited. I thought it’d be filled with actionable insights I could put to use immediately. The excitement quickly faded.

I felt like I had to grind through page after page before I found any real nuggets of expertise. Baker talks about withholding advice before an engagement is crafted and that’s what this book feels like. It feels like the real advice is buried within so that you can’t pull out insights without spending a few hours reading
Scott Wozniak
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had some really interesting challenges to those building a business from their expertise. It began with how expertise is earned, then how to position yourself in a way that you are recognized as an expert, and then how to build the business around it.

He had very specific insights, like the pros and cons between writing and speaking when trying to show expertise (writing is safer, speaking is more impactful--if you have the skill). He also challenged experts to pick a truly focused
Tsavo Neal
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Business of Expertise is a call-to-action for business owners and consultants who want to become valuable experts and make more money from their expertise. From the essential "Why" questions to choosing where you focus your expertise, David helps you with each and every step, tieing in his own experience on what it took for him to become a highly-sought expert. The book will make you uncomfortable, challenge you, and push you outside of your comfort zone. That's why it's so valuable. Taking ...more
Dennis Michael
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Understanding expertise is clarified

Have you been running a business for a number of years on your own? Do you feel like you are offering your clients exceptional value without the reward? I felt this way before I read this book. Once I read it twice in a row it became clear to me what my next move was as a business owner. This book is eye opening and inspiring. A must read for any soloprenuer.
Tim Bouchard
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts slows with establishing David’s framing of expertise In a broad sense. I suppose it’s necessary, but drags on a bit.

There are good “aha” lines midway to the later stages of the book although they are more thought provoking than actionable.

Overall it was interesting and had some motivational chapters in it. I just wish there were more tip of the iceberg exercises and advising moments within in.

Was worth reading.
Jake Cooper
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the mindset instilled in this book to focus on positioning and expertise, though I wish there was more of the actionable advice found in the second half of the book rather than the justification for it found in the first half.
Mike Orren
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great primer or review for anyone in any industry that sells their expertise, strategy, advice to clients. David’s style is relatable and he has real-world experience to back it up.
Ozren
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! So deep that you want to reread it again and again. For every penny twice over.
Maren Kate
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're in expert services this is a must read.
Jamie from The Doer Co
Read this book back to back with Blair Enn's Win Without Pitching Manifesto and I really enjoyed the different perspective on the same underlying concepts.
Fabian Geyrhalter
Another wonderful book by David, full of wisdom and actionable insights. If you are an expert in what you do, or you strive to become one, this book is a must-read!
Neeraj
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A no-bullshit book on doing the courageous thing of narrowing your positioning to do work that is impactful, profitable and commands genuine respect. I intend to read this every year.
Hannamari
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good pointers on building a busines from expertise, highlighting the importance of establishing a unique value proposition and positioning in the market. The only issue dimming the light of the excellent tips was the heavy extrapolation of learnings from the personal stories and preferences of the author.
J.

• Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck
  • The Brand Gap
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Critical Business Skills for Success
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling
  • The Power of Ambition