Start by marking “The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth” as Want to Read:

This passionate expertise manifesto is intended to elevate the impact of advisors who sell insight as entrepreneurs. Three foundational chapters form the basis of the entire book: experts develop insight by isolating patterns in data; they convert those insights to wealth by crafting a unique positioning for which few available substitutes exist; and their confidence grows ...more
Published March 3rd 2018 by RockBench Publishing Corp.

To ask other readers questions about The Business of Expertise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Business of Expertise

Start your review of The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth
Tim Kadlec
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at https://timkadlec.com/read/2019/the-b...
------

I have never liked the term "expert", and I've not been shy about it. So when a friend recommended The Business of Expertise I bristled a little. Still, the reviews were great and moving past the term, using my experience and the knowledge I've gained to help organizations is how I make a living so there was no denying the topic was relevant.

The book started off a bit slow. The first several chapters are pretty foundational an

Tom Fornoff
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a career and life-changing book for a very specific segment, of which I'm an aspiring member. “This book isn’t just about expertise. It’s about entrepreneurial expertise, or individuals who use expertise as their avenue to entrepreneurship."

David C. Baker played a crucial role five years ago when he helped my wife and I sell Yvonne's ad agency. He's thoughtful and helpful, and beyond just knowing the agency business, he's an "expert on being an expert." I quickly skimmed this book when h
Pavel Annenkov
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
О ЧЕМ КНИГА
Эта работа больше похожа не на бизнес-книгу, а на дневниковые заметки. У автора есть свой, достаточно интересный взгляд на то, как построить на своем профессиональном опыте консалтинговый бизнес. Книга неплохая и поднимает многие сложные вопросы консалтинга. Но, к сожалению, хорошие мысли бессвязно раскиданы по всей книге, а не собраны в систему, чтобы четко раскрыть тему.

ГЛАВНАЯ МЫСЛЬ КНИГИ:
Практически каждый профессионал в своей области может выстроить бизнес на своей экспертности.
Clinton
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just not for me. When I picked up this book, I was excited. I thought it’d be filled with actionable insights I could put to use immediately. The excitement quickly faded.

I felt like I had to grind through page after page before I found any real nuggets of expertise. Baker talks about withholding advice before an engagement is crafted and that’s what this book feels like. It feels like the real advice is buried within so that you can’t pull out insights without spending a few hours reading cove
Jay Buys
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the owner of a small (7 person) digital agency, I often felt like David was pulling directly from concerns inside my own head. Great insights, lots of practical information and written in a way that's engaging. I would highly recommend this to any entrepreneur or small business owner. ...more
Scott Wozniak
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had some really interesting challenges to those building a business from their expertise. It began with how expertise is earned, then how to position yourself in a way that you are recognized as an expert, and then how to build the business around it.

He had very specific insights, like the pros and cons between writing and speaking when trying to show expertise (writing is safer, speaking is more impactful--if you have the skill). He also challenged experts to pick a truly focused nic
Tsavo Neal
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Business of Expertise is a call-to-action for business owners and consultants who want to become valuable experts and make more money from their expertise. From the essential "Why" questions to choosing where you focus your expertise, David helps you with each and every step, tieing in his own experience on what it took for him to become a highly-sought expert. The book will make you uncomfortable, challenge you, and push you outside of your comfort zone. That's why it's so valuable. Taking ...more
Helios
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: expertise
In a style both lively and irreverent, David C. Baker unpacks what it means to be a purveyor of expertise and how entrepreneurial experts convert their insight into impact and wealth.

The book explores the following core concepts, among others:

1. Pattern matching is the foundation to expertise

https
Dennis Michael
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Understanding expertise is clarified

Have you been running a business for a number of years on your own? Do you feel like you are offering your clients exceptional value without the reward? I felt this way before I read this book. Once I read it twice in a row it became clear to me what my next move was as a business owner. This book is eye opening and inspiring. A must read for any soloprenuer.
Tim Bouchard
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts slows with establishing David’s framing of expertise In a broad sense. I suppose it’s necessary, but drags on a bit.

There are good “aha” lines midway to the later stages of the book although they are more thought provoking than actionable.

Overall it was interesting and had some motivational chapters in it. I just wish there were more tip of the iceberg exercises and advising moments within in.

Was worth reading.
Kim
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with a pen in hand and underlined so many passages. Invaluable insight for my small agency that I will return to again and again. David Baker speaks directly to my concerns as an agency owner and knows my psyche, too.
John Kelleher
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself reading this book in stops and starts because it gave me so much to think about. I needed to process the information and act on it. David writes in a deceptively simple manner, allowing him to convery deep insights in very few words. Highly recommended.
Esteban Mulki
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic 2Bobs material (at this point is difficult to determine where does Baker starts and Blair ends and viceversa). It may look like a collection of blog posts (sometimes a little bit repetitive) but it's totally worth it anyways. ...more
Jake Cooper
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the mindset instilled in this book to focus on positioning and expertise, though I wish there was more of the actionable advice found in the second half of the book rather than the justification for it found in the first half.
Elvis Ozoria
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The kind of book that not only has the information you need but also practical examples and a way to apply it. I have heard about most of the info before, but the bits that I haven't heard... they are just gold!
Mike Bell
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent counsel with exercises and opportunities to look at your career and question its value. A higher perspective born from decades of working with hundreds of agencies and businesses provides sound advice and a path toward a better purpose.
Dimi
Nov 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barely worth the Kindle price. I had to power through to make sure I didn't miss the few interesting details among the filler platitudes. ...more
Mike Orren
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great primer or review for anyone in any industry that sells their expertise, strategy, advice to clients. David’s style is relatable and he has real-world experience to back it up.
Simon
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! So deep that you want to reread it again and again. For every penny twice over.
Maren Kate
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're in expert services this is a must read. ...more
Vincent Van Wylick
This short book captures thinking about positionig “expertise,” that is suprisingly straightforward and applicable to many types of activities.
Jamie from The Doer Co
Read this book back to back with Blair Enn's Win Without Pitching Manifesto and I really enjoyed the different perspective on the same underlying concepts. ...more
Fabian Geyrhalter
Another wonderful book by David, full of wisdom and actionable insights. If you are an expert in what you do, or you strive to become one, this book is a must-read!
Neeraj
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A no-bullshit book on doing the courageous thing of narrowing your positioning to do work that is impactful, profitable and commands genuine respect. I intend to read this every year.
Omar Trejo
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to get a dose of self-confidence an get inspired to act now.
Hannamari
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good pointers on building a busines from expertise, highlighting the importance of establishing a unique value proposition and positioning in the market. The only issue dimming the light of the excellent tips was the heavy extrapolation of learnings from the personal stories and preferences of the author.
J.
Dec 10, 2018

• The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Pricing Creativity: A Guide to Profit Beyond the Billable Hour
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • The Practice: Shipping Creative Work
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • The Brand Gap
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • Traction
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
  • The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation
  • Creative Strategy and the Business of Design
  • Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business
  • Critical Business Skills for Success