Start by marking “Un omicidio inutile” as Want to Read:
Un omicidio inutile

Un omicidio inutile

Cinque storie nelle quali la George scandaglia il lato oscuro che si nasconde in ciascuno di noi e le debolezze della natura umana. Un matrimonio costruito su una gigantesca menzogna che solo la morte porterà alla luce; l'ambizione omicidia di un professore di storia squattrinato che spera di diventare ricco e famoso; i pericoli che nasconde la gelosia ingiustificata di un ...more
Hardcover, La Gaja scienza, 264 pages
Published August 29th 2003 by Longanesi (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Un omicidio inutile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un omicidio inutile

Abbey
I, RICHARD, Elizabeth George
2002, five longish stories/novellas, mostly suspensers although there is one Lynley story. Read on Kindle; four-stars over-all.

"Exposure"
— Lynley visits his irascible auntie's great mansion In The County, at a time when tourists are being entertained. One of them gets murdered in a manner that is blatantly hinted at right from the beginning, which mainly concerns itself with setting the stage of interactions between the members of the tour group. It feels
_inbetween_
Her introductions are full of herself; her rewriting of "Evidence Exposed" actually makes less sense (no mention why murder; maybe it's not the son but her "boyfriend" that turned her so crap?) and "Remember" has a huge incongruence re. the time the photos had been bought.
Elisa Fierro
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful book and what a discovery! I was not familiar with this writer but now she is on my list, definitely. Set in the contemporary world, these stories are truly jewels, treats to savor one at a time. They deal with several different themes and always have a quirk. In "Fences are not enough" an elderly lady is the victim of some nosy and arrogant neighbors - or is she? The protagonist of another story, a jealous husband, gets in the end exactly what he deserves, although at a very h ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: mystery, series
This is a book of 5 short stories, all of which are excellent. What I especially enjoyed was to read Elizabeth George’s comments before the stories. In them she tells how she got the idea for the story and some of the processes she goes through to change an idea into a plot. One was a book of her own which she was never happy about and she found a better subject and ending for the short story version.

I think my favorite was “Remember, I’ll Always Love You.” I was completely fooled th
Patricia
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of five short stories. I enjoyed only one of the five, and it was titled Exposure. If you have never read any books in the Inspector Lynley murder mystery series, this is a good one to begin with because it is an introduction to Thomas Lynley of Scotland Yard and his companion Lady Helen Clyde. If you enjoy this story, you will probably enjoy the series.

The other four stories in I, Richard were not my cup of tea. There were no mysteries to solve, and all four stories h
Sheila Myers
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book contains five interesting short stories. I read all of them and enjoyed three of the five. I won't be like other reviewers and deduct rating points simply because I don't find the plots or writing style fitting into my preferences. However, with this collection I deducted points because I feel the stories didn't stand up to the promise written on the dust jacket of finding "drama, danger, and unmatched suspense" within the pages. And I also don't see it as belonging "in the library of ...more
Liz
A collection of short stories. I couldn't even make it through the second one. Partly due to the narrator - there are many American characters, and he can't do an American accent, so he sounded like a moron in trying. But the stories each have a long-winded, pompous introduction, which made it harder to ignore the pompous writing in the stories themselves.
Nancy
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories are not my usual type of read, but these were entertaining.
Mentai
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok I didn't read very much of this but from the first two pages, it wasn't really for me.
Corky
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I am not always a fan of the short story (in general) but this book contained five of them that I thought were actually great. They might not be mysteries in the traditional sense, but they're all stories with a certain air of mystery about them and they delve into human nature and the lengths people will go to get what they want (or what they think they want). For me, this was a relatively short read, but I actually had wished it were a tad bit longer.
Lenora Good
Through the years, I have discovered that some novelists whose books I dislike, also write short stories which I love. Therefore, I was willing to invest the time to read these 5 short and fluffy stories. Alas, Ms. George does not fit into the category of sentence number one, above.

IF, and I strongly emphasize the beginning word, IF you are a fan of Elizabeth George's books, you will probably enjoy these stories. Otherwise, don't waste your time. I was sorely disappointed.
Diane
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard that Elizabeth George was a good mystery writer, and based on the title I chose I, Richard, thinking that it would have something to do with the saga of Richard III, and was disappointed to find that it was a series of five short stories, only one of which referenced Richard III. But the stories were interesting and had surprise endings, which were intriguing. I'll be reading more of her books in the future.
Mark Mindel
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only collection of short stories by the great British mystery writer, Elizabeth George. Five beauties including one with Inspector Thomas Lynley (of whom she has written 20 novels in her award-winning series). Each reaches into the depth of human weakness: how far will one be willing to go to reach his or her ultimate goal? Does the Machiavellian end really justify the means? Unlike most of George's work, this is a quick read, and as always the case, well worth it!
Kathy
Short stories are not my favorite genre; if I stopped and pondered each one maybe I would at least be able to remember them later, but that's just not my style. Still, as short stories go, these are good, although my least favorite was the one with Lynley and Helen at his aunt's manor house. The title story is the best of the lot, with the murderer planning to kill his old friend, but with a satisfying ending.
Joe
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unusual for George, this is a book of short stories ...generally good longish ... almost the length of a novella. The stories are tight, well written with good endings but not with the irony and surprises of a Munro short story. I particularly enjoyed "The Surprise of His Life", "Remember, I'll Always Love You" (I think the best) and "I, Richard". All readers of George's novels should look for this selection of short stories. They will be heartedly rewarded.
Donna Lewis
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for quite some time and only recently decided to read it. To my surprise, it contains five short stories - present day - and all were very interesting. One even has a brief visit by one of my all time favorite characters, Inspector Thomas Lynley. A quick but satisfying read.
Sharon Slevin
I love the Insector Linley Series by Elizabeth George. Although interesting, her short stories are not my favorite....That said, it is not my favorite genre as I really like to sink my teeth into an engaging novel.
Pam
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the Lynley series, but these stories read like they were written by another author- and not a good one. They mostly felt very juvenile. Two stars is generous, and only because I like her novels so much.
Karen
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book looked slightly thin for one of her novels but I picked it up anyway and was pleasantly surprised by several short stories. Enjoyable read.
Teresa Mills-clark
She writes well. I enjoyed her third person narrative.
Jason Payne
Short stories by the creator of Inspector Lynley and DS Havers. A mixed bag, some good some okay. Favorite was "The Surprise of his Life," George's riff on the OJ Simpson murder case.
Mgb
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining
David Christie
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
five varied stories of some kind of betrayal, each long enough to engage and intrigue the reader fully but short enough to be read and digested in a single sitting.
Anne
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories are an interesting digression for George. Many of them have Saki-like endings. Decent writing and a particularly interesting take on the question of King Richard and the young boys.
Wrbill Edwards
Clever Shorts

Some murder mystery short stories by E. G. not very deep or intriguing. Well written, but not up to her novels.
Lorna
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intense short stories. Prefer the longer story telling and of course, Inspector Lynley.
Anne
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Five short stories. Mostly ok
Cyanemi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
What could be better than an Elizabeth George Novel??? A compilation of Elizabeth George short stories. I loved it. Two of them were quite surprisingly Stephen King(ish). Very good
Esther
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ultimately a perfectly decent read, but not up to Ms. George's usual standard. I also found the intro pieces to be a bit insufferable, so I would skip those.
Kathleen O'Nan
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone who is known for her extremely long novels, she also does very well with the short story form. This book contains 5 short stories, one of which has our favorite Thomas Lynley featured and two of which take place in Southern California, which is quite a surprise.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Flying Blind (Turbulence, #6)
  • Rheinsberg: ein Bilderbuch für Verliebte
  • Two O'Clock, Eastern Wartime
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill
  • Miraculous Mysteries
  • Means of Evil and Other Stories
  • Drool Baby (Lia Anderson Dog Park Mysteries, #2)
  • A Summer in the Country
  • The Mirror Crack'd / A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! / The Body in the Library
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
  • De vlinder en de storm (Hartland trilogy, #1)
  • Brute Strength (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #19)
  • Complete Guide to Watercolor Painting
  • A Woman's Eye

Susan Elizabeth George is an American author of mystery novels set in Great Britain. Eleven of her novels, featuring her character Inspector Lynley, have been adapted for television by the BBC as The Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

She was born in Warren, Ohio, but moved