Start by marking “A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)

A Girl Like Her

(Ravenswood #1)

She's the town pariah. He doesn't give a damn.

In Ruth Kabbah’s world, comic books are king, silence is golden, and human contact is a pesky distraction. She doesn’t like people, which works out just fine, because the people in this small town don’t like her. The exception to that rule? Evan Miller, her way-too-charming next-door neighbour…

Ex-military man Evan is all tattoo
Published March 14th 2018 by Nixon House

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Like Her, please sign up.
Talia Hibbert The Ravenswood series should be available in a few different formats soon :)
Talia Hibbert The book is now available on multiple platforms, and in paperback and audio format!

Start your review of A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)
Melanie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Taryn

“There are some things you don’t get over. You just accept them, and keep breathing. That’s enough.”

Talia Hibbert is a national treasure, and I don’t think that I ever want to leave Ravenswood or these characters. Talia truly crafts the most heartwarming romances, with amazingly diverse characters, and weaves in some of the sexiest scenes I’ve ever read in my entire life. I have loved everything that she has written so far, and A Girl Like Her is probably my favorite yet. Truly a mas
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Halfway through A Girl Like Her, I added every single one of Talia Hibbert's books to my to-read list. Every one. And I usually hate M/F contemporary romance.

A Girl Like Her was quirky and fun, but had a very serious edge. I loved the complex dynamics and the autistic spectrum MC, who for once wasn't a savant/scientist/math genius. She was real, and her autism was just a part of what made her who she was.

It's hard for me to explain what made this small-town story stand out, other t
K.J. Charles
A strong contender for best contemporary of 2018 and it's only March. God I loved this book. It's got a hero who is just kind, considerate, consensual, reasonable, can cook. A heroine who's prickly and angry and allowed to be. A lovely family even if they're hilarious pains in their own way (the mother's one POV sequence is gleeful). A joyously life-enhancing plot, a bad guy who is bad without overshadowing the book, a love that heals people in the way happiness does, ie it helps Ruth be more co ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 A Girl Like Her ★★★★★
#1.5 Damaged Goods ★★★★★
#2 Untouchable ★★★★★
#3 That Kind of Guy ★★★★★

re-read update: may 18, 2019:
3rd time, gets better every time. I read it via audiobook this time and really enjoyed it. It took me a little while to get into the narrator, but I was sold by the end and want to collect the rest of her audiobooks for more casual rereads!
re-read update: january 13, 2019:
This is just as good the second time. No, it might be even better.

I’m not usually one for reading adult
Warda
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as part of the Dragons and Tea Book Club.

This was such a joy to read. Summed up:
It’s a small town story set in England.
About a black, autistic woman (#ownvoices) who’s grumpy, blunt, loves her family, is into her books and fanfic and writes her own web comics.
An ex-army dude who’s too good for this world, kind and can cook! He’s a dreamboat! 🤩

I loved following their story and seeing them fall for each other. It’s always refreshing to see the male character not being such a douche. But do
EmBibliophile
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

The apartment next to mine is empty, so I’m just going to say that whoever is going to move into that empty next door apartment better be a nice guy who looks like Chris Evans and who would prepare me a lot of tasty meals. But since that apartment has been empty for three years and knowing my luck, the possibility of it being haunted is higher!

Ruth is a black autistic woman who rarely go out of her house and is kind of outcasted by everyone in the town. Evan is such a sweet nice guy w
Sam (AMNReader)
4.5 I wouldn’t call what I’ve been in a book slump at all. I would say I’m book grumpy. Book grouchy. Contemporary romances have been the number one aim of my discontent. Really, it’s as if Jack Talent invaded my soul (cause we’re soul mates. Yep, fictional character, try to tell me it’s not real)…and I’m all “Piss and shit,” and sometimes even “Piss and shit and buggering, bloody, fucking hell,” on the sub-genre in the past few weeks. The ongoing B-R with the very lovely, very nuanced, very wel ...more
Ira
What a pleasure read this book was 😍

I thought, I can guess what the story all about from the prologue, I couldn’t get more wrong.
You might read something like this before, but the depth, the twist and the characters were so special and it made this book stand up from the rest.

Ruth, our heroine is a comic web artist, interesting job btw:), she came with her mum and sister from Sierra Leone and lives in one small village in England since she was a young child. Later on in the story you will find o
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Check out this and my other reviews at My Blog, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Pinterest

★Book Basics★

Genre : - Cont. Romance
Series : - 1st in the series
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? -Yes
Rating - 5+++ stars

★Review★

I adored this story! Adored, adored adored adored!

I loved the heroine. She was wonderfully prickly an
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
I loved this book. Heroine was awesome. She had me laughing! So cute!
Hero was a huge teddy bear of a man. I hate when a man uses his size to intimidate the woman but NOT this hero, he was so sweet with her.. I just loved how he was with her. I call dibs on him!

Completely 100% safe.
Meags
4.5 Stars

In A Girl Like Her, Talia Hibbert has delivered a deliciously diverse contemporary romance of the highest quality and (within a matter of pages) effortlessly established herself as my number one new author to watch.

I can’t quite recall the last time I loved the lead characters in an M/F romance so damn much. What makes Ruth and Evan so special is how realistically they are portrayed. So often you read about characters that ring false to real life, where the perfection of a hero or hero
Amy Risner

I had never heard of Talia Hibbert before, but the second I found out she’s a romance writer who is always boosting body positivity and consent, I WAS THERE FOR IT. Now I want to own every single book by her. Please, if you want to support an independent, ownvoices author, pick up her books! I truly think you’ll be in for a real treat.

This book follows Ruth, a black, plus sized woman who creates web comics and prefers to stay home and keeps to herself. She lives in a small town called Ravenswood
Renégade ♥
4 to 4 1/2 stars

Evan liked her wariness. It made every inch of her trust a reward.

Image result for holding hands

I enjoyed reading Ruth and Evan's tale.

Ruth is a misunderstood woman for numerous reasons, but Evan sees her worth, her value, and has a desire to care for and protect her.

"He's... he's lovely. I mean, [Evan's] kind, and thoughtful, and he lets me think, and he always has something funny to say. I don't know. I just like talking to him."
"So he's nothing like - "
"No," Ruth said quickly. "No."

Though she can
Bubu
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, cr, 4-stars

I apologise in advance. I just finished A Girl Like Her, and I don’t think I’ll be able to write a coherent review; just random things that are running through my head. And, to be honest, I’ll probably digress a lot.

A big thank you to Sam. Ever since I saw her rating, I clicked on ‘like’ every time I saw the rating, but refusing to read any reviews, which I’ll do once I’m finished. I must admit, one of the reasons why I waited over a month to read it – apart from the hype this book was
♥Sharon♥
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok

I probably should have set this one aside because I ended up doing a lot of skimming and that is never any good.

I found the book to be blasé and never made a connection with either of the main characters which makes it hard to enjoy the story.

Ah well you can’t love them all right!
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute
Wow! This was really wonderful, unexpectedly so! I have never read a book like this before, with a poc heroine AND with autism, where she struggles socially and with communication. It's also very rare to find a hero so sweet, understanding and patient. I loved how he wasn't your usual alpha hero, which I love, but sometimes get bored of. Overall amazing, sweet and reading it just made me smile when I finished it
Julie Zantopoulos
First, I love that we have a WOC author and WOC main character, I love it even more when there's representation for the neurodiverse! Ruth has been branded the town whore and her backstory is heartbreaking and way too real. This is such a layered and nuanced erotic story and it worked so damn well. Gimme it, gimme all of it.
Mariah
Read this directly after The Kiss Quotient, which is also about a woman with ASD - and I much prefer this one in terms of writing and story developent; I’ve been finding so much joy in #OwnVoices books lately.

Well, it's morning now and I've got a quiet office all to myself and steaming cup of coffee, with what others may consider too much cinnamon (no such thing in my book), so it is review time.

This was a sweet story with a pinch of intrigue - which every small town has. Set in Ravenswood, a t
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Every so often a romance comes along that restores my faith and love of the genre. A Girl Like Her was just that book. It hit all of The Fountain Pen Diva's happy buttons and then some.

Granted, I was not a fan of Ms. Hibbert's Bad for the Boss: A BWAM Office Romance because boss/employee "romances" are not my thing. However, the author had an engaging style and a way of writing characters that I liked, despite the plot. With 'A Girl Like Her', this talent just shines.

No heroine hijacking. Consen
Ridley
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ruth might be my favorite heroine ever. Finally, a disabled heroine (she's autistic) who gets to run her own life in her own way without needing a non-disabled hero to rescue her. The sweet, muscular, bearded, blacksmith hero who cooks his way into her life one shepherds pie at a time was a plus as well. Hibbert does an excellent job of writing the characters' POV scenes so I really felt like I was visiting two different heads. Really enjoyed it.
Shanna Matheo
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so freaking adorable! I loved Ruth with her quirky awkward self and Evan was just so sweet and sexy!

This was my first book by this author, but it for sure won't be my last. I really enjoyed her writing style. This story was cute, fun and very realistic, but the the end felt a tad bit rushed and the resolution a tad bit unsatisfying. Hence 4 stars instead of 5.
Hollis
Parts of this I loved, parts I feel kind of wibbly over. Most of the characters felt so strong, so lovely, while elements of the plot felt kinda thin. But the romance was so sweet, so real, and full of hella sexy consent.

I've kinda surmised where the rest of the books might go, and who stars in them, and I'm super keen to read on. Mostly because I've tried enough Hibbert (three now!) to know there's a strong four, maybe even five, star full-length book out there with her name on it. I just need
boogenhagen
This right here is why you should read what your friends do. If Ira hadn't of commented I would have never found the gem that is this book and I would be missing a whole lot of a seriously good writer. So Hurray!
Melanie A.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
4 STARS!
Internally, her nerves were a mess, like multiple pairs of earbuds shoved into the same coat pocket.
SO MUCH to like in this one!

Ruth is a reclusive web comic author/designer with autism who has alienated most of the population of her small town. Evan is new to town and moves in next door. Despite her hostility toward him, Evan is completely intrigued by his new neighbour.

Interesting character alert: I very much liked the way the author crafted these two; both Ruth and Evan
Tina
This is only the second book by this author that I've read but I find that I am really digging her voice. While I liked, but was not crazy about the previous book of hers that I read, I still liked the writing.

In this one the heroine is a woman named Ruth who had been involved with Daniel, a rich spoiled scion of the the leading family in town. We don't quite know what the nature of the relationship was in the beginning, only that it ended acrimoniously and he continues to somewhat bitterly pers
Curlyhairlass19
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book went off like pop rocks in my mouth! A black woman who is autistic that loves comics, and Marvel Universe!! Yesss! I absolutely love small town romances! Evan was such an amazing, sexy, patient, ex-military guy that broke down the walls that Ruth had built up to protect herself from all the whispers & ridicule. This book was an excellent start to this series, and I can’t wait to continue with it. ...more
Stacie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
4+ "Perfect for each other." Stars!

I loved both these main characters so much! I may write a better review later because there is lots of good stuff to say, but no time right now. Happy reading!
Kiki
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Apparently Ira is currently reading it, and even though our tastes differ, I’ll wait for her review
Renae
It's hard for me, sometimes, to find a romance that makes my heart happy, satisfies my soul, and makes me believe in love. If that sounds overly sentimental, rest assured that I don't often find such books, so I don't usually sound so...flouncy. But. Sometimes, I do. And then I melt into a gushy mess.

Talia Hibbert's A Girl Like Her turned me into a pile of feelsy goop. This book was absolute perfection, and then some. It's by far the best book I've read so far this year. Like, seriously. Any con
Mandi Schreiner
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, autism
A lot of people have recommended this book and I’m trying to make an effort to read books I see recommended in a timely manner, instead of buying it, and having it sit on my Kindle to be buried. Our heroine Ruth is many things. She is a comic book enthusiast, a comicweb writer, a lover of wearing pajamas 24/7, she is black, she is plus-size and she is autistic. She knows what she likes and if other people don’t like it, she couldn’t care less. She is very close with her twin sister and that rela ...more
Autistic Authors ...: A Girl Like Her 1 5 Jan 22, 2019 08:44AM

• Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Office Hours
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • Hearts on Hold
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • The Write Escape
  • Fit (Fit Trilogy #1)
  • A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Grumpy Jake
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
Talia Hibbert is a USA Today bestselliing author who lives in a bedroom full of books. Supposedly, there is a world beyond that room, but she has yet to drum up enough interest to investigate.

She writes sexy, diverse romance because she believes that people of marginalised identities need honest and positive representation. Her interests include beauty, junk food, and unnecessary sarcasm. She also

Ravenswood (3 books)
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)