Start by marking “At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)” as Want to Read:
At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)

At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell #4)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  3,862 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
1st edition 1st printing paperback, fine In stock shipped from our UK warehouse
Published August 2003 by Mira (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about At the Stroke of Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Stroke of Madness

Alex is The Romance Fox
AT THE STROKE OF MADNESS is Alex Kava's 4th novel in the Maggie O'Dell Series and continues the life and work of the loner FBI agent.

Maggie receives a telephone call, whilst on vacation, from her best friend and psychologist, Gwen Patterson, asking her to help her find one of her patients who has disappeared, whilst attending her grandmother's funeral.

Maggie travels to Connecticut and begins an unofficial investigation, which soon turns into an official one when the body of a woman is discovered
Ana T.
In the tomblike silence of an abandoned rock quarry someone is trying to hide their dirty little secret. A secret that reveals the depths of human depravity. A secret that is about to be discovered.

FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell is just starting a hard-earned vacation when she gets a call from her friend, psychologist Dr. Gwen Patterson. One of Gwen's patients is missing on a trip to Connecticut. Can Maggie look into Joan Begley's disappearance?

At first Maggie dismisses Gwen's concern. But whe
Diane
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alexa Kava keeps getting better and better! Nothing typical about this book. Starts out on a lovely mountain top to the tune of a chainsaw!

As "Elvan" says, lots of red herrings - which I love in a book, keeps my brain working!

Poor Maggie O'Dell always gets herself in some sort of bind, plus she has a habit of marching to her own tune,and as good as those intentions are, they most often lead to trouble.

A new character introduced in this book - I'm assuming this character will show up in future bo
Peat
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
To a certain extent, its fair to say this isn't what I'm looking for. I look my murder mysteries to contain a tighter focus on the detective and the mystery, rather than a look at all the people around it. However there's other issues too, like the pacing - it goes nowhere for ages than all of a sudden ends - and I don't care much for all the pop culture references either. Intriguing but I'm not gonna race out to find the others.
Elvan
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well that was fun! Nothing says serial killer like a guy going through the grocery store choosing jars of pickles and mayo so he has the proper containers to display his "trophies".
I enjoyed this edition of the Maggie o'Dell series. I would have liked to see more O'Dell time but the creative nature of this particular serial killer was well worth the read.

The book lost a star when O'Dell ventured in to catch the killer leaving her dead cell phone in the hands of a victim of Alzheimer's. :p

When w
Wendy
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jul-15
Great 4th book in the Maggie O'Dell series!
Lauren
At the Stroke of Madness by Alex Kava
Maggie O’Dell (book #4)
4 stars

Synopsis:
Maggie is asked by her friend, Dr. Gwen Patterson, to look into the disappearance of a patient. At the same time, several bodies are found stuffed into barrels in a quarry near the patient’s last known location. Is she one of the corpses? Who killed them and why?

Review:
The plot is enjoyable and well-paced. The new characters are easy to like, and the killer's motivation is unique as far as serial killer’s go. The pro
Sheila
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this series.
Sonja
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Her books never disappoint.
Bryan
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At The Stroke of Madness by Alex Kava, the 4th in the FBI Profiler Maggie O'Dell Series. I am greatly enjoying this series.
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read this one in one sitting, with a couple of tea breaks of course, but it is slightly shorter than the others, so I got through it pretty quickly. A good story, however, I have a little nit-picking to do here. Poor Nick Morelli waited patiently for Maggie's divorce to come through, 2 years, and in that time, they have had little or no contact. Not very realistic. However, Nick seems to have moved on, because Maggie called him on the phone, at last, and another woman answered and said he was in ...more
Nancy Ellis
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like the way this author develops her characters. She really lets you get to know them and shows that she really cares about them. It's a personal experience reading one of her books. Not only do we get to know the victims and survivors, but she also takes us into the mind and circumstances of the murderer, in this case a particularly disturbed and disturbing one. The one character I'll never forget, though, is Luc Racine, the aging father of another detective. He is in the early stages ...more
Jonetta
Maggie O'Dell is finally taking a long-deserved vacation. Just as she's ready to pack it in, her friend Gwen Patterson calls for her help with one of her patients who she thinks is in trouble. All roads lead to New Haven County, Connecticut where Joan Begley was last seen...and the site of a serial killer's dumping ground.

This by far is the best book in the series to date. We find a mentally healthier Maggie and get to see her in action as a profiler. The case is extremely interesting, if not r
Melissa
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is getting better with each book. Maggie is slowly getting better with her decision making, but still messes up a bit here. The story line is an interesting one also. We get to meet Detective Julia Racine's dad, Luc, who is dealing with beginners Alzheimer's. I really liked the character and felt that the author did an excellent job capturing the disease. The unsub in the story is truly a twisted individual, but when you find out the "why" behind his mania you almost feel sorry for h ...more
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
An average one. The worst part is the ending,it seemed so sudden. The novel moves at a snail's pace till the end,and at the end it's like 'fast and furious'. If he was going to create a serial killer,he could've created a better one. And then there is the it's-not-the-end-of-the-story line.. I saw a praise on the cover comparing him to Patricia Cornwell at her prime.. I can't understand since when did they change the meaning of prime to worst.
Janine
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, series
This had a much better ratio of suspense to personal problems than the previous book in the series.
Betsy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Maggie O'Dell series. Just what we have come to love. 4 stars
Rolaka Ola Ri
Już kolejny raz mam problem z oceną książki. Nie chodzi mi o to, że "Granice Szaleństwa" to zły kryminał czy moja pierwsza przygoda z Alex Kava była nieudana. Po prostu uważam, że przy tym tomie autorka się nie postarała. Przede wszystkim jest on krótki, dlatego wybrałam go na pierwszy rzut (nie wiedziałam, że to cały cykl kryminałów). Podobał mi się, ale miałam wrażenie, ze autorce zabrakło pomysłu, szczególnie że jej inne książki mają grubo ponad 500 str.
Kolejną rzeczą, jaką dostrzegłam w powi
Yolie McLaughlin
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy suspense!
When I started reading the 4th O'Dell, I was disappointed because Nick seemed to have disappeared. I guess after reading the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd book, I expected him to be a vital part of the series. I wasn't sure if I could imagine him out of Maggie's life, but I continued reading and was not disappointed at all. I don't care to give much about the book because I'm afraid I might accidentally provide a "spoiler" - however, I will say this: Alex Kava will grab you by the throat and keep you spiral ...more
Michelle
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another thrilling Maggie O'Dell book! This one seemed slightly rushed and I feel like I really should have figured it out sooner than I did, but that's on me. There were some great side characters that I hope return in other books. Still plugging my way through the series.
martin bradbury
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good 👍from the first page to the last. Start with series one

Enjoy all the main characters, they seem like people I know now, I started with 5 so next will be 6. Giving this series a break for now but definitely will be back. Fast read Enjoy
Linda
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
pretty good book!
Melissa
Not the best in the series

It was pretty gruesome, too. I've read five or six of these, and this was the weakest with poorest character development.
Merrianne Oman
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a fun read, especially as I tried to figure out who done it before the author told us. One of my favorite authors to read and love the Maggie O'Dell character. Not the best book tho.
Debbie
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the characters, but the stories are somewhat predictable and too creepy. (I started and chose to not finish books 2 and 3 in the series before reading this one.)
Beverly
I read this some time ago, and really liked it, not so much in the reread-it felt like a bridge going somewhere further.
Judy Morris
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a great book. I really liked it. It was Garry at times but you have to take the good with the bad. I have read quite a few of her books, and they never have disappointed me.
Lori
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I love Alex Kava but I had a REALLY HARD TIME getting into this book. It just didn't have that umph for me. Disappointed...
Bea  Charmed
I guessed who the killer was early on. The story dragged but I liked the author's depiction of Alzheimer's. It was painfully realistic.
Jeanne
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Maggie O'Dell Is in a small town on unofficial business. Looking for a missing person for her friend Dr. Gwen Patterson. A woman's body has been found in a rock quarry. It may be Joan Begley, the woman Maggie has come to find. More bodies have been found and the sheriff has welcomed Maggie as part of the investigation team. Who is this serial killer? And where is Joan Begley? A good read!!
2-3-4 Challenge: At the Stroke of Madness by Alex Kava (Maggie O'Dell #4) - April 2016 14 15 Apr 23, 2016 09:27AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 6 7 Apr 14, 2016 12:20AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 5 7 Apr 13, 2016 08:19PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 5 8 Apr 13, 2016 08:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 5 9 Apr 12, 2016 03:15AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 7 7 Apr 12, 2016 03:13AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 8 Apr 12, 2016 03:05AM
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • Cutting Edge (FBI Trilogy, #3)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Fear Itself
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • The Kill Box (Jamie Sinclair, #3)
  • Scavenger
  • The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Before Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #0.5)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)