Start by marking “Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen

Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen

The charm of Jane Austen and her novels has been enjoyed for over 200 years by readers around the world. Much has been written about her fascinating life, yet little is known about Jane's spiritual side. In this lovely 31-day devotional, you will get an in-depth look at Miss Austen's vibrant, steadfast prayer and faith life. Her intimate relationship with the Father comes ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Praying with Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying with Jane

Sophia
For those who admire Jane Austen's literary works and take it further to admire the lady writer behind them, this slim guided-prayer devotional volume that parses out three recorded prayers of Jane Austen has vast appeal.

In Praying with Jane, the author provides an introduction to Jane Austen's religious background and how this volume should be best employed. Austen's prayers themselves are echoes of prayer patterns found in the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer and fell right in line w
Kim
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful 31 day devotional through the 3 surviving prayers of Jane Austen. It’s perfect for Austen fans and anyone looking for direction into a more meaningful prayer life.
Cynthia Egbert
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
I read this book on the recommendation of a friend and I am so glad that I did. There were a couple of moments when the author really had to stretch to make an connection with Austen's work in the context of her written prayers but that would be my only "complaint". The prayers are beautiful and the challenges offered up by Rachel Dodge for us to apply to our own prayers really made me think. I marked and annotated the book quite a bit, but below are a few quotes that really struck me.

"Jesus cal
Literary Soirée
A lovely devotional for Jane fans, beautifully executed and designed. 5 of 5 Stars. Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine. Pub Date 02 Oct 2018. #PrayingWithJane #NetGalley
writer...
Looking for a special gift book? Whether to gift yourself or another, if you love Jane Austen, Praying With Jane offers that unique gift.

An opportunity to spend thirty one days of prayer and spiritual reflection with the much loved and renowned, Jane Austen. Not the usual contemporary slant of fan fiction or austenesque, we are treated to a look at the interior life of this honoured author. The strength of her spiritual perspectives. The stability of her faith. The sustenance of her prayer life.
Becky
From the introduction: Jane Austen is known for the beauty and romance of her words.

Premise/plot: This devotional is built around three written prayers of Jane Austen. Dodge breaks down each prayer into bite-size pieces providing ten days of devotional readings per prayer. The thirty-first devotional focuses on The Lord's Prayer.

Within each devotional, Dodge provides biographical information on Austen, commentary or insight from Austen's other works (her letters, her novels, etc.), and a glimmer
Anna
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Praying with Jane 31 Days through the Prayers of Jane Austen by Rachel Dodge is a new book by Bethany House released this October 4.

160 pages, if you are a fan of Jane Austen, beloved author of masterpieces like Emma, Sense and Sensibility, you will be thrilled to reflect thanks to these three prayers written directly by Jane Austen to God; each of them, verse after verse explained in a modernized vision, starting with a meditation, some anecdotes of Jane Austen's life, an invitation to pray and
Rebecca Norris
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-a-year
I read this as part of a year long study of Jane Austen. I enjoyed this glimpse into her spiritual life and how it affected her relationships with friends and family, and influenced her writing.
Camille Turner
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm actually not religious, but I adore Jane Austen and was intrigued by the book because of that. I won it through a contest on the blog, Jane Austen's World (an amazing blog, by the way). I really enjoyed the book, especially learning about Jane's prayers and her religious views as well as tidbits about her life through letters she wrote with her sister. It was an interesting read, and I think the book itself (cover and layout) is quite beautiful!
Amanda Osenga
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Jane Austen. I had not learned much about her life and past, however.

It was a joy to read more about her faith, her family, and her vocation in this book. I loved this unique approach. As an Anglican myself, it was fun to connect with someone from my own faith background in a new way. Growing my relationship with God and studying a favorite author was a unique experience. I don't think I would have ever thought to write a book like this myself- very creative job Rachel Dodge!

The prayers
Emily P
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Jane Austen fan, this adorable, thought-provoking devotional is sure to impress. Lovely, hard bound in gift book size, this would make a perfect gift for the person in your life who has read everything there is about Jane Austen.

The devotionals are set up by taking portions of Jane's three recorded prayers and taking them line by line to stretch the devotions out over a 31 day period. The reader learns much about Jane's upbringing, spiritual life, everyday existence and finally, her
Elizabeth • whatelizabethreads
Most excellent!!
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s no secret that Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. What many casual fans may not know is that Jane Austen was the daughter of an Anglican clergyman, Reverend George Austen, and two her brothers followed him in his vocation. Faith was an important part of Austen’s life that was filled with prayer and reflection. Three works of Austen’s that I have never read, are three prayers that she wrote. Praying with Jane takes a contemplative look through these three prayers. The book is broken ...more
Mardell
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
We live in such a fast paced world that even our spiritual habits can be fast-tracked. With online bible studies and podcasts from our favorite church sermons we can fit in our spiritual needs on the go. Or so it would seem. Are we better off in such a manner?

Jane Austen is more famous now than she would have considered possible. Imagine the quiet society the author lived in and compare it with our lives today. Imagine her sitting at her desk writing in her journal or perhaps outdoors on a blan
Julie D.
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book touched my heart in so many ways! My love for God and my love for Jane Austen is met with a lovely book filled with Scripture and wonderful quotes from the Jane Austen books.

The cover of this book is so beautiful and the inside even more so with it's beautiful writing and faith-filled pages. I really liked the introduction and how Rachel gives us a glimpse into the heart of Jane. Then there are three beautiful prayers written by Jane Austen dispersed throughout the book. These prayers
Tamii
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Jane Austen’s father was Reverend George Austen an Anglican clergyman for the Church of England.

As someone who has a prayer journal I appreciate the fact that we have some of Jane’s personal prayers written in her own hand.

Jane’s sister Cassandra folded together the three prayers Jane Austen wrote and labeled them “Prayers Composed by my ever dear Sister Jane” on the outside. These prayers are now housed at The Elinor Raas Heller Rare Book Room at Mills College.

This devotional is separated into
Kristen
Disclaimer: I received access to the e-book on NetGalley for free from the publisher in return for my honest opinion. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Devotionals are so popular and I must admit that I didn't really know too much about them until about a year or so ago. Praying with Jane: 31 Days through the Prayers of Jane Austen by Rachel Dodge from Bethany House Publishers presents an interesting twist to the traditional devotionals. It is designed to help one “savor Jane’s prayers” and
Norman
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I confess I've never read Jane Austen and only know her through television adaptations of her books so I wasn't really sure what to expect but I liked the thought of using her prayers as a basis for a devotional book. I admit I'm also not the biggest fan of devotional books preferring to chart my own way through the Bible but the idea of following the thoughts if a literary great intrigued me.

The structure is simple and effective, following a line of Austen's prayers each day (I had no idea Aus
Jamie
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very Highly Recommended

I was very inspired and encouraged as I read through Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen, a lovely devotional by Rachel Dodge. I am delighted to highly recommend this beautiful book. Having previously read several of Jane Austen's extraordinary novels, I was well aquainted with her timeless stories and unforgettable characters. I did know some about Jane Austen's personal side, but very little regarding her spiritual life. Praying with Jane invit
Patti Whitson Stephenson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This devotional book by Rachel Dodge is an inspiring and encouraging devotional. Based on prayers written by Jane Austen, each day’s devotion focuses on a phrase from those prayers. The author’s devotions are very well-written and based on scripture to illuminate the specific thought from Jane’s prayers. Besides the spiritual encouragement I received from reading these devotions, I also loved the insight into Jane’s faith and family life, as well as the quotes that appear from her books.

I appre
Nichole Parks
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who knew?

Jane Austen penned three prayers. Well, three that we know of. Her sister Cassandra (Bless her soul.) cherished them. "They were passed down by her family and kept safe for future generations," shared English professor and author Rachel Dodge.

Her new devotional imparts these petitions in a thoughtful narrative that can't help but compel one's heart into a deeper intercession. You see, each encouragement of Praying with Jane is inspired by Austen's own reverent words. Insight to her wo
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read and reread all of Austen’s novels and while I was vaguely aware that her father was a clergyman it never occurred to me to think of her as a person of faith. But it turns out she left three written prayers that were saved by her sister Cassandra. "Prayers Composed by my ever dear Sister, Jane."

Growing up immersed in the Anglican church, Jane likely took part in family prayers each morning and evening, attended multiple–lengthy–services on Sunday, and spent a fair amount of time in pers
Michelle Kidwell
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Praying with Jane31 Days through the Prayers of Jane Austenby Rachel DodgeBethany HouseBethany House PublishersChristianPub Date 02 Oct 2018I am reviewing a copy of Praying with Jane through Bethany House Publishers and Netgalley:This unique little devotional is a must read for fans of Jane Austen and her novels and who have ever wondered about Jane Austen's spirituality would love this brief but power packed little devotional.In this devotional we will get to see Jane Austen's vibrant, steadfas ...more
This is a great book for fans of Jane Austen. Each day's devotional begins with part of a prayer that Jane Austen wrote. The author then reflects on the prayer through stories from Austen's life or novels and Bible verses, gives a time of reflection, and ends with a prayer written by the author with space to include your own specific needs. I could do without the bits of proselytizing, but still a four star book overall.

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on October 2, 20
Emily Anne
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This devotional opens a secret door into Jane Austen's faith and has challenged and enriched my own prayer life. I have loved learning about this side of Jane's world. Each devotional is very beautifully written and contains information on Jane's life or books, as well as thoughts on how her prayers pertain to our lives today. It's been a joy to journey with Jane through this book. A real treasure!
Lydia
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
As a Christian and as a Jane fan, I was disappointed on both counts. I could not get passed the first devotion. I just couldn't stomach the invitation right off the bat to pray that Jesus prayer. It's not for "liberal / progresive mainline" Protestants such as myself. It just doesn't jive with Jane's Angelicanism - I think she would be rolling in her grave. I'm going to read a real biography of hers instead, and I would probably be more "spiritually fed" by that.
BlueBird23
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Praying with Jane is a wonderful book for anyone in love with Jane Austen and would like to learn more about the beautiful prayers she wrote while digging deep ourselves. This book weaves bits of Jane's life and works with Biblical examples and is very engaging. I would highly recommend this book and I'm so excited to see what this author writes next!
Candi Foster
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this devotional! Soo deep and good! I learned more about Jane Austen's faith and her background and was challenged to deepen my faith with each devotional. I would totally recommend this book!
Courtney (a cozy little lady)
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I completely adore this devotional and purchased more as Christmas gifts! Jane Austen is very near and dear to me. She was a woman of wonderful words and her prayers are so moving! Rachel Dodge does an amazing job of blending Jane Austen’s prayers, novels, and life in the context of her faith!
Janet McHenry
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a former high school English teacher who taught Jane Austen's works, I found Praying with Jane a delightful companion for my devotional times. I also read widely on prayer and found Rachel Dodge's reflections on prayer insightful. This book is a lovely gift.
An interview with the author 1 1 Jun 01, 2019 10:57PM
Rachel Dodge teaches college English and Jane Austen classes, gives talks at libraries, teas, and Jane Austen groups, and is a writer for the popular Jane Austen's World blog. She is passionate about telling stories that bring God glory and about encouraging and equipping families to grow closer to Jesus through prayer and the study of God's Word. A true "Janeite" at heart, Rachel enjoys books, bo ...more