Start by marking “Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen

Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen

The charm of Jane Austen and her novels has been enjoyed for over 200 years by readers around the world. Much has been written about her fascinating life, yet little is known about Jane's spiritual side. In this lovely 31-day devotional, you will get an in-depth look at Miss Austen's vibrant, steadfast prayer and faith life. Her intimate relationship with the Father comes ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Praying with Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying with Jane

Start your review of Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen
Sophia
For those who admire Jane Austen's literary works and take it further to admire the lady writer behind them, this slim guided-prayer devotional volume that parses out three recorded prayers of Jane Austen has vast appeal.

In Praying with Jane, the author provides an introduction to Jane Austen's religious background and how this volume should be best employed. Austen's prayers themselves are echoes of prayer patterns found in the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer and fell right in line
Kim
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful 31 day devotional through the 3 surviving prayers of Jane Austen. It’s perfect for Austen fans and anyone looking for direction into a more meaningful prayer life.
Brittany
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this devotional so much! I loved the way it took me through three prayers that Jane Austen wrote.

Each prayer was included in its entirety and was then broken up into smaller sections for a more detailed study on each day. Included in each day’s study was some interesting tidbit about Jane’s life or a connection to the characters and books that she wrote.

I loved the way the author took these passages from Jane’s prayers, connected them with a Biblical truth, and encouraged me to think
Cynthia Egbert
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
I read this book on the recommendation of a friend and I am so glad that I did. There were a couple of moments when the author really had to stretch to make an connection with Austen's work in the context of her written prayers but that would be my only "complaint". The prayers are beautiful and the challenges offered up by Rachel Dodge for us to apply to our own prayers really made me think. I marked and annotated the book quite a bit, but below are a few quotes that really struck me.

"Jesus
Suzie Waltner
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part devotional and part biography, Praying with Jane gives readers a peek into Jane Austen’s personal and spiritual life. As a Janeite, I thoroughly enjoyed this look into Austen’s relationships with God and her family.

Rachel Dodge takes three of Austen’s prayers and breaks them down for closer reflection and study over the course of thirty-one days. Each short devotional includes practical application, scripture, an invitation to prayer, and an actual prayer.

This beautiful little book is the
Literary Soirée
A lovely devotional for Jane fans, beautifully executed and designed. 5 of 5 Stars. Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine. Pub Date 02 Oct 2018. #PrayingWithJane #NetGalley
writer...
Looking for a special gift book? Whether to gift yourself or another, if you love Jane Austen, Praying With Jane offers that unique gift.

An opportunity to spend thirty one days of prayer and spiritual reflection with the much loved and renowned, Jane Austen. Not the usual contemporary slant of fan fiction or austenesque, we are treated to a look at the interior life of this honoured author. The strength of her spiritual perspectives. The stability of her faith. The sustenance of her prayer life.
Becky
From the introduction: Jane Austen is known for the beauty and romance of her words.

Premise/plot: This devotional is built around three written prayers of Jane Austen. Dodge breaks down each prayer into bite-size pieces providing ten days of devotional readings per prayer. The thirty-first devotional focuses on The Lord's Prayer.

Within each devotional, Dodge provides biographical information on Austen, commentary or insight from Austen's other works (her letters, her novels, etc.), and a glimmer
Anna
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Praying with Jane 31 Days through the Prayers of Jane Austen by Rachel Dodge is a new book by Bethany House released this October 4.

160 pages, if you are a fan of Jane Austen, beloved author of masterpieces like Emma, Sense and Sensibility, you will be thrilled to reflect thanks to these three prayers written directly by Jane Austen to God; each of them, verse after verse explained in a modernized vision, starting with a meditation, some anecdotes of Jane Austen's life, an invitation to pray and
Rebecca Norris
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-a-year
I read this as part of a year long study of Jane Austen. I enjoyed this glimpse into her spiritual life and how it affected her relationships with friends and family, and influenced her writing.
Camille Turner
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm actually not religious, but I adore Jane Austen and was intrigued by the book because of that. I won it through a contest on the blog, Jane Austen's World (an amazing blog, by the way). I really enjoyed the book, especially learning about Jane's prayers and her religious views as well as tidbits about her life through letters she wrote with her sister. It was an interesting read, and I think the book itself (cover and layout) is quite beautiful!
Erin
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: justread-tours
My Thoughts on Praying with Jane:
I have long loved Jane Austen as an author and was intrigued when this title came across my email screen. Of course, I had to sign up to review it!

It has not disappointed me. This is going to be a book that stays on my shelf for years to come. I can see myself purchasing copies of this book to gift to literary like-minded friends and definitely to my own daughters as they grow. I’ve made sure they are literature lovers and they have all read Jane Austen already
Amanda Osenga
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Jane Austen. I had not learned much about her life and past, however.

It was a joy to read more about her faith, her family, and her vocation in this book. I loved this unique approach. As an Anglican myself, it was fun to connect with someone from my own faith background in a new way. Growing my relationship with God and studying a favorite author was a unique experience. I don't think I would have ever thought to write a book like this myself- very creative job Rachel Dodge!

The prayers
Emily P
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Jane Austen fan, this adorable, thought-provoking devotional is sure to impress. Lovely, hard bound in gift book size, this would make a perfect gift for the person in your life who has read everything there is about Jane Austen.

The devotionals are set up by taking portions of Jane's three recorded prayers and taking them line by line to stretch the devotions out over a 31 day period. The reader learns much about Jane's upbringing, spiritual life, everyday existence and finally, her
Hallie Szott
Dec 09, 2019 marked it as reviewed
In a beautiful little book of thirty-one devotional readings, Rachel Dodge explores the life and work of Jane Austen as they relate to faith and Scripture. Each day is a short, yet purposeful read, an uplifting way to incorporate prayer daily.

As a casual fan of Austen, I enjoyed my time with Praying With Jane. Dodge brings her to life with relevance and grace, and I began to understand her in a new way. I think fans of the beloved author, too, could also benefit from the devotional—if you’re in
Jolene
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen by Rachel Dodge offers readers a daily devotional based on the three known prayers written by Jane Austen. Each prayer receives ten or eleven days of attention, effectively immersing the reader into the prayer.

Having recently reread Pride & Prejudice, I was delighted to start into Praying with Jane. Each devotional entry begins with an examination of a portion of one of Jane’s prayers. Jane’s personal life and literary works
Emily Yager
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its no secret that Jane Austen is my all time favorite author. So when I discovered this little devotional that goes through three of her prayers, that she wrote 200 years ago. I was immediately drawn in.

This cozy devotional dissects Jane Austen's three prayers with snippets from her books and bits from letters and such that she and members of her family wrote. With insights about who Jane Austen was outside of her books.

A lovely little devotional about prayer with plenty of practical advice
Neena Gaynor
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pour a hot cup of tea and get to know the deeply spiritual side of Jane Austen. By the end of the introduction of this 31-day devotional, I was in love. Rachel Dodge delicately dissects the three prayers Jane entrusted to her devoted sister, Cassandra. The beauty of words we have come to know and love in Austen’s books are ever-present in her prayers, as is her obvious love of the Lord. Insightful, challenging, and warm, this devotional is sure to speak to the hearts and souls of its readers.

I
Elizabeth • whatelizabethreads
Most excellent!!
Cathy
I don't generally buy or read books of celebrities on prayer. I don't generally buy books on celebrities at all. I don't generally feel that they know any more than the rest of us do in regards to prayer. I only got this book because it was on sale at a closing Christian bookstore.

But I was surprised and impressed by this book about Jane Austen's prayers. (She's the author of "Pride and Prejudice," among other works.) Jane Austen knew what she was praying and why. It's not that her prayers are
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s no secret that Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. What many casual fans may not know is that Jane Austen was the daughter of an Anglican clergyman, Reverend George Austen, and two her brothers followed him in his vocation. Faith was an important part of Austen’s life that was filled with prayer and reflection. Three works of Austen’s that I have never read, are three prayers that she wrote. Praying with Jane takes a contemplative look through these three prayers. The book is broken ...more
Mardell
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
We live in such a fast paced world that even our spiritual habits can be fast-tracked. With online bible studies and podcasts from our favorite church sermons we can fit in our spiritual needs on the go. Or so it would seem. Are we better off in such a manner?

Jane Austen is more famous now than she would have considered possible. Imagine the quiet society the author lived in and compare it with our lives today. Imagine her sitting at her desk writing in her journal or perhaps outdoors on a
Julie D.
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book touched my heart in so many ways! My love for God and my love for Jane Austen is met with a lovely book filled with Scripture and wonderful quotes from the Jane Austen books.

The cover of this book is so beautiful and the inside even more so with it's beautiful writing and faith-filled pages. I really liked the introduction and how Rachel gives us a glimpse into the heart of Jane. Then there are three beautiful prayers written by Jane Austen dispersed throughout the book. These prayers
Tamii
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Jane Austen’s father was Reverend George Austen an Anglican clergyman for the Church of England.

As someone who has a prayer journal I appreciate the fact that we have some of Jane’s personal prayers written in her own hand.

Jane’s sister Cassandra folded together the three prayers Jane Austen wrote and labeled them “Prayers Composed by my ever dear Sister Jane” on the outside. These prayers are now housed at The Elinor Raas Heller Rare Book Room at Mills College.

This devotional is separated into
Kristen
Disclaimer: I received access to the e-book on NetGalley for free from the publisher in return for my honest opinion. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Devotionals are so popular and I must admit that I didn't really know too much about them until about a year or so ago. Praying with Jane: 31 Days through the Prayers of Jane Austen by Rachel Dodge from Bethany House Publishers presents an interesting twist to the traditional devotionals. It is designed to help one “savor Jane’s prayers” and
Norman
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I confess I've never read Jane Austen and only know her through television adaptations of her books so I wasn't really sure what to expect but I liked the thought of using her prayers as a basis for a devotional book. I admit I'm also not the biggest fan of devotional books preferring to chart my own way through the Bible but the idea of following the thoughts if a literary great intrigued me.

The structure is simple and effective, following a line of Austen's prayers each day (I had no idea
Randi Sampson
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of classic literature--- and more specifically Jane Austen, this is most certainly the devotional for YOU! In Praying with Jane, Rachel Dodge introduced us to three fantastic prayers written by Jane Austen, each with a section of their own. Each day we look at a few lines from that prayer and really take the time to dive deeper into her words, her life and her faith... and how we can apply these prayers into our lives too.

I must admit, I didn't really know all that much about
Jamie
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very Highly Recommended

I was very inspired and encouraged as I read through Praying with Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen, a lovely devotional by Rachel Dodge. I am delighted to highly recommend this beautiful book. Having previously read several of Jane Austen's extraordinary novels, I was well aquainted with her timeless stories and unforgettable characters. I did know some about Jane Austen's personal side, but very little regarding her spiritual life. Praying with Jane
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read
This devotional book by Rachel Dodge is an inspiring and encouraging devotional. Based on prayers written by Jane Austen, each day’s devotion focuses on a phrase from those prayers. The author’s devotions are very well-written and based on scripture to illuminate the specific thought from Jane’s prayers. Besides the spiritual encouragement I received from reading these devotions, I also loved the insight into Jane’s faith and family life, as well as the quotes that appear from her books.

I
Nichole Parks
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who knew?

Jane Austen penned three prayers. Well, three that we know of. Her sister Cassandra (Bless her soul.) cherished them. "They were passed down by her family and kept safe for future generations," shared English professor and author Rachel Dodge.

Her new devotional imparts these petitions in a thoughtful narrative that can't help but compel one's heart into a deeper intercession.You see, each encouragement ofPraying with Janeis inspired by Austen's own reverent words. Insight to her world
« previous 1 3 next »
An interview with the author 1 1 Jun 01, 2019 10:57PM

• The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • The Curse of Misty Wayfair
  • An Amish Christmas Bakery
  • Love You Truly
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue #1)
  • The Dating Charade
  • NIV Beautiful Word Coloring Bible for Girls: Hundreds of Verses to Color
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • A Beautiful Mess
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • Above the Fold
Rachel Dodge teaches college English and Jane Austen classes, gives talks at libraries, teas, and Jane Austen groups, and is a writer for the popular Jane Austen's World blog. She is passionate about telling stories that bring God glory and about encouraging and equipping families to grow closer to Jesus through prayer and the study of God's Word. A true "Janeite" at heart, Rachel enjoys books, ...more