Start by marking “The Locksmith” as Want to Read:
The Locksmith

The Locksmith

Jude doesn’t like secrets, they breed poison, but she knows her husband is hiding something from her. To uncover the truth she flees with her three young children to stay with her mysterious mother-in-law, Audra. Through Audra, Jude believes she can uncover the truth that will heal them all. Only Audra has secrets of her own and will stop at nothing to keep them.
Published April 3rd 2018 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Locksmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locksmith

Steve
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, kindle-scout
This is a good, family-based thriller with a little bit of paranormal influence. I was slightly disappointed with the relatability of the characters, particularly the children, but the story is constructed well and I found it pretty enjoyable.

The issues I had with this book are minor and will be corrected with experience. I'm interested to see what else Ullah has to offer.
Callie Hill
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ynopsis

My Review
Written in third-person from the perspective of Jude, this debut psychological thriller pulled me in right from the fi
Doug
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read a paperback version rather than Amazon.

The main character is over anxious, probably due to her past experiences. Although this is a bit annoying in Bristol it really works well on the farm. It was a very good use of internal characterisation to ramp up the tension.

There was a very powerful use of parental fear at the farm. Even the fun stuff with the rickety old tree house just doesn't let up.

I was continually thinking what would happen and that 'what if' presence was very powerful. This
Steven Ramirez
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Peeling away the layers of anything is usually a mistake. Just ask someone who has had to use sharp tools to prise old wallpaper off the plaster walls of an ancient house. Sometimes, you’ll discover a kid’s crayon drawing of a scarecrow. But other times, you might find something sinister—like dead cockroaches.

The Locksmith reminded me of this nasty renovation business because the protagonist, Jude, is naturally curious and insists on getting to the bottom of things, especially in relationships a
A.A. Abbott
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC READ IN THE GOTHIC TRADITION

Although written in a simple, modern style. "The Locksmith" is a suspense thriller in the best gothic tradition. There is a pervasive feeling of unease throughout the book, with tension mounting rapidly as it reaches its finale. The story of a summer holiday on a farm unfolds in a horrific and surprising fashion. With engaging characters and gorgeous descriptions, the book is a page turner and an absolute delight to read.

I've posted a fuller review in my blo
Phoebe
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had me gripped right from the first page! A really exciting story and a great debut novel, one of the best I have read for a long time. I just couldn't put it down and had to read it in one session because it preoccupied all my thoughts. A tense story line from start to finish, a truly dark family noir. I look forward to more books by Jo Ullah!!!!
Janice perry
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book started out really good. I wanted to know where it would lead, by the middle, I didn't care what was going to happen, but I continued to read it. The ending was really good, but it seemed too rushed and the story suffered a little.
Jill Duncan
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jude is a woman

Who lives in her own reality. The book is corny and typical plot. I would not recommend. Not a good read
Julie L
Jul 12, 2018
Peter
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Jude is convinced that her partner Spider keeps secrets from her, but refuses to talk about it. When their son has an accident, and Spider goes into shock, Jude flees to her mother-in-law Audra. At first, live on the farm seems peaceful, but soon Jude feels that also Audra has secrets she doesn't want to talk about.

At the beginning it is a bit lengthy, but picks up speed and gains a gripping intensity. The setting is realistic, and the characters well developed.
Dana Flynn