Start by marking “Home by Another Way: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
Home by Another Way: A Christmas Story

Home by Another Way: A Christmas Story

"In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, "Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage."

--Matthew 2:1-2

This enchanting Christmas story by beloved author and preacher Barbara Brown Taylor follows the three wise me
Published August 7th 2018 by Flyaway Books

To ask other readers questions about Home by Another Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home by Another Way

Start your review of Home by Another Way: A Christmas Story
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
This is a delightful retelling of the biblical account of the journey three wise men took to see baby Jesus, Son of God, under the divine guidance of a star. The author thoughtfully filled in gaps of the wise men's story with fictional details meant to entertain children. With beautifully detailed illustrations, this is a work of reality-based fiction children would surely enjoy, especially at Christmas.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the book's publisher in exchange for my hon
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a wonderful retelling of the biblical story of the arrival of the Wisemen to see the Baby Jesus. Using the Star of Bethlehem to guide them, they arrive at the home of Mary and Joseph to see the baby, Jesus Christ, Son of God. This is a fictional retelling of the story, but I like that it shows their arrival at the home, not the Inn as is often depicted in many Christmas Pageants and other Nativity stories. It begins with their leaving, speaking with King Herod, arrival and presentation o ...more
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The illustrations in this book are absolutely amazing - just beautiful. It's sad that the story isn't really any good. I was very disappointed in it. Obviously, every author has to take a little license because the Bible itself does not go into great detail, but this author chose to portray the three wise men as foolish (one existed by only eating herbs steeped in water, anoth
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Everyone knows the three gifts of the Magi: gold, frankincense and myrrh. But did you know the three gifts of the Christ child in return? "For the scent and weight and skin of a baby...For this home and the love here...For a really great story." Each of these gifts surpassed the Magi's attempts to find the King by living on herbs, learning ancient languages or walking across hot coals. This timeless message hold true today. How many of us alter our diets, improve our intellect, and harm ourselve ...more
Sharon Tucker
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
#Home By Another Way #Net Galley
Matthew 2:1-2 tells us about the visit of the three wise men to see the baby, Jesus. Barbara Brown Taylor brings that journey to life for us, as well as younger children! This book is a pleasing view of that journey and those they encounter along the way. The brilliant star leads them to the new born king, but they must go home another way. The artwork by Melanie Cataldo is fantastic.
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
There are many better choices for this story. Illustrations are nothing special. Way too much silly modernization in the text.
Todd
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Barbara Brown Taylor, a New York Times best-selling author, teacher, and Episcopal priest., brings us this imaginative, fictionalized retelling of the biblical visit of the Magi following Jesus' birth. The biblical text on this narrative element only occurs in the book of Matthew and covers a brief 12 verses. Taylor fills out this story with some of her own imaginative elements that break with some of the commonly held notions of the traditional story. For instance, she has the "wise men" travel ...more
Jade
I have a parent who collects Christmas picture books. This parent is also very religious, so when I found this book on another site, it looked like a slam dunk—but then I ran across a one-star review that went into its flaws in detail. Rather than sending it straight to my parent, I ordered a copy for myself to preview it, as my local library didn't own a copy.

I will always be grateful to that one-star reviewer.

Let me start off with the positives: The central idea—Advent told from the perspect
LeAnne
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I collect Christmas picture books and am currently working on a novel based on events following the Magi’s visit to Bethlehem, so when CT reviewed this, it was a no brainer. The pictures are soft and textured. Herod is deliciously disgusting, with his bad breathe and snake eyes. I like that his guards are shaking in fear of him. Herod was definitely that kind of guy. Besides the gifts the Magi brought to the baby (“all wrong, they could see now, things he had no use for”) I liked that they went ...more
Faye
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the wise men and their journey, following the star and putting their faith in something the didn't fully understand.

I like how this book looks at the wisemen, and imagines what kind of lives they were leaving behind to follow the star, as well as the comfort they were giving up. I liked how the book draws out that they left with more than they came with, even though everyone knows that they were the ones who brought gifts.

This is a beautifully illustrated book, with bright c
Chrystal
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, children-s
For anyone who is interested in a book about the First Christmas, this is NOT IT! The author has taken liberties with the biblical account of the birth of Jesus that are so fictionalized that it would make a child confused as to the real facts of the story. As I read it, I was constantly ticking off points to myself saying, “Nope, that’s wrong, no, no, no, “ etc... It is one thing to modernize a famous fairy tale, but this is the BIBLE! There were just too many details added, left out, or change ...more
Psusan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Home by Another Way is Barbara Brown Taylor’s interpretation of one of the most well-known Bible events, the journey of the wisemen. She has taken the short Biblical narrative from Matthew fleshing it out with feeling and emotion. Told in a flowing prose and expressive illustration the story comes to life. Well done, this children’s book should become a favorite Christmas read aloud for many years to come.

The publisher through Net Galley provided an ARC. I have voluntarily decided to read and re
Jo Oehrlein
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enchanting telling of the story of the 3 wise men and the baby Jesus.

It embellishes the story throughout, but in ways consistent with the Biblical story.

And, it doesn't have the 3 wise men arriving at the stable! Hooray!

The story ends with them going home another way. So, no enraged Herod afterwards, no massacre of the innocents, and no escape to Egypt. That makes it more child-friendly.

There are lots of words per page, so this isn't a story for a wiggly squirmy one, but for someone old enoug
Susie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks for NetGalley for an electronic copy. (The book did not display properly on my updated Mac, but was fully displayed on my old iPad.) I found myself reading scripture after reading this slightly different version of the Three Wise Men. According to some legends, they were possibly from three different locations, but it is not specified in the Bible. The idea of them each receiving the star light separately is intriguing. This book does a good job of depicting the sitting/lounging king as s ...more
Jan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, own
I really enjoyed this retelling of a beautiful story. I appreciated the fact that it was more accurate by showing the wise men finding the child in a house instead of a barn in a manger. By the time the wise men got to see Jesus he was closer to two years old. This was a clever, funny look at a story that still was tender and touching enough to make my husband cry :) I was blessed to receive this book through a Goodreads giveaway.
Sara Easterly
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stunningly illustrated, this book offers a unique take on the Christmas story by telling it from the perspective of the three wise men — who don’t know each other at first, but end up meeting on the road to Jerusalem after they all pursue the bright star lodged in their right eyes. I love that this book offers a diverse perspective and also portrays Mary as playful.

Reviewed as a roundup of my favorite holiday books at https://bookbonding.wordpress.com/201...
Michelle
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hate almost every children’s Christmas book. This one I did not hate. It at least portrays brown wise men and a brown baby Jesus. The perspective is from the wise men and is refreshingly authentic. I only wish Mary was highlighted more as I feel like she consistently gets slighted in Christmas story telling‘s.
Michael Heidle
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous and inspiring story!!

What a marvelous and inspiring story!!!!
Having just finished a group Bible study on the main (Matthew 2), this story book caught my eye and I was not disappointed!! It tells the story, along with some imaginative tid-bits to fill in the gaps, making a compelling story to inspire children of all ages!
I highly recommend it!!!
Etienne
May 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Another religious/chritianism story. This time it relate the story of the wise man in a slightly different version from the must know story. Too slow, didn't bring anything knew to a well tell story and the message/goal of this book is just very unclear to me...
Linda Woodfin
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked how the story was more about the 3 wise men rather than just the birth of baby Jesus. Having a few modern day references in it will help kids relate to it more. I enjoyed the part where the wise men thanked the baby for their gifts. Meeting him changed their lives for the better.
Ruth
Jan 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
No. Just no. If you're going to have the Wise Men making references to Pine-sol, then you need to lean into the anachronism and humor, not weave back and forth between poking fun at ancient traditions from other cultures and mawkish sentimentalism.
Cortney Walton
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and Flyaway books for the ebook.

I loved the powerful message and the illustrations are absolutely beautiful.
Michael
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am glad I read this book. It’s a beautifully illustrated story of Jesus’s birth, Herod’s evil intent, and the wise men’s visit. The author tells it imaginatively and well.
Bonnie Grover
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you #Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book. The artwork is outstanding. This is a simple and original take on the story of the three wiseman.
Linda Mulford
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Wonderful children's book about the wise men who visited the child Jesus. Lovely illustrated. Story is beautiful.
Jeri Silfies
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
Alma Zinn
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Loved this and the illustrations! So glad my daughter purchased it for my granddaughter for Christ's Birthday celebration ! Wonderful
JoAnn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christmas story. Love the gifts that the kings RECEIVE! Will want to remember this book next December.
Lj
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book tries too hard to be relevant. It panders as people without children do. I disliked it so much I returned it to the seller, grateful that was an option instead of wasting my money.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.

• The Night of His Birth
  • Noel Street
  • The Rough Patch
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • The Buttonmaker’s Daughter
  • Just in Case You Ever Wonder
  • The Deathly Portent (A Lady Fan Mystery, #2)
  • Seasons of an Amish Garden
  • You Are Special (Wemmicksville, #1)
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • The Presence
  • Advent in Narnia: Reflections for the Season
  • Friday's Child
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • 25 Days 'til Christmas
Barbara Brown Taylor is a New York Times best-selling author, teacher, and Episcopal priest. Her first memoir, Leaving Church (2006), won an Author of the Year award from the Georgia Writers Association. Her last book, Learning to Walk in the Dark (2014), was featured on the cover of TIME magazine. She has served on the faculties of Piedmont College, Columbia Theological Seminary, Candler School o ...more

News & Interviews