Start by marking “An End to Upside Down Thinking: Why Your Assumptions about the Material World Are No Longer Scientifically True” as Want to Read:

Consciousness creates all material reality. Biological processes do not create consciousness. This conceptual breakthrough turns traditional scientific thinking upside down. In An End to Upside Down Thinking, Mark Gober traces his journey - he explores compelling scientific evidence from a diverse set of disciplines, ranging from psychic phenomena, to near-death experience ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by Waterside Press

To ask other readers questions about An End to Upside Down Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An End to Upside Down Thinking

Start your review of An End to Upside Down Thinking: Why Your Assumptions about the Material World Are No Longer Scientifically True
Erik Persson
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! The fact that it is not a scientist who wrote this means that (at least I) did not see any bias. The evidence and studies Mark accumulated and presented in this book are lead me the reconsider what I had previously thought about consciousness. I am not completely persuaded into the idea that consciousness is concrete, but the book gave good evidence and examples of phenomena that can't be explain with science.

A great introduction into the topic!
Linda Gaines
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Great book. Mark does an amazing job of collecting and organizing massive amounts of scientific studies on psychic events and presenting them in an understandable manner. This is a life-changing book. I listened to it on Audible then I bought a hard copy to read. Don't miss it. ...more
Annie Kay
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
At first I was disappointed that this book, which addressing something I think about a lot, was not written by a scientist or someone with a scientific background.

Then, the thesis - that most bench scientists believe that consciousness arises from matter - seemed old and tired to me. I guess as a yogini for so many yrs, understanding that consciousness is more fluid and of-the-ether is not new news. Reading that it is controversial, I just felt a little sad.

All this said, I did appreciate his
Fiona Saunders
Real world evidence validates my beliefs. It is great to read and listen to proof of what I generally already believe. it is a sad day but not a huge surprise that mainstream science is censuring discoveries amd knowledge from the masses. But what really surprised me is even this wall in fornt of them some scientists across multiple disciplines have climbed the wall any way and found a abundance of new and amazing stuff that works on the emotional and spiritual level. This book is also what the ...more
michael
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
"I wanna believe so badly in a truth beyond our own, hidden and obscured from all but the most sensitive eyes. In the endless procession of souls, in what cannot and will not be destroyed. I want to believe we are unaware of God's eternal recompense and sadness. That we cannot see his truth. That that which is born still lives and cannot be buried in the cold earth, but only waits to be born again at God's behest, where in ancient starlight we lay in repose."
- Fox Mulder, FBI Special Agent
Francis Djabri
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am totally open to the idea that consciousness precedes matter. Really I am - after all, no one really understands the relationship between consciousness and the brain. This book had me initially excited to explore some non-materialistic perspectives, of which I’m hungry to find out more. But this book is so badly written and its reasoning so spurious that I rapidly lost interest. Useful though for pointing out some links to other sources.
Sean Helvey
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a seminal work that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in.. umm, life? It’s incredible to be alive at a time when the concepts in here are only beginning to be understood.
Darrell
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
This is a milestone book. FINALLY, a book that summarizes all the evidence in Quantum Science!

It’s not necessarily pioneering, and there isn’t anything new in here, but holy cow, the author knocked it out of the park. Why? Because he took a good thousand+ books, and a few decades worth of research, and somehow, amazingly, summed it up into an easily readable, understandable, persuasive and succinct book.
I mean, I always hesitated to talk to people about this stuff because it’s like, “Well, here
Christy ofthewoods
This book is great for people who are just starting on their path from materialism. I had already researched all of the phenomenon he mentions in the book, but I still really enjoyed the opening and how he explains materialism with the pyramid. Give to those who are teetering on the edge of materialism and need a mind blowing push.
Aaron Webb
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely get the book not audiobook
Theodore Schwamm
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and compelling, and pretty earth shaking. Points the way towards some tatters in the fringes of science that have turned out to be gaping holes in our knowledge. It’s worth knowing going into this book that there is a pretty big tonal shift in the last two chapters to focus on spirituality, but I appreciated this and thought it was well done.
Tara
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
What an amazing book! Gober objectively and without bias gathers all the scientific data for you, and frankly, it’s undeniable.

The fact that this evidence is mainly buried, denied by most scientists, and ignored by mainstream media, should outrage everyone. Humanity is the one losing out.

It’s time for a shift in the scientific field to better study these proven topics, rather than rigidly clinging to now disproven beliefs just because certain scientists’ egos can’t bear a paradigm shift.

If you
Keith Preston
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most challenging books that I've read. Challenging, because that's what it does: it takes on the topics that are scoffed at and dismissed by traditional or material science. However, recent advances in quantum mechanics point to the stories and evidence portrayed in this book.
After reading, it left more questions than answers . . . and of course, I stepped back into the comfort zone that may, in fact, not be real.
I want to "re-read" this in audio book format with the hope tha
Eben
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The scientific study of the mind-brain relationship, including all manner of human experiences, combined with the deepest mysteries of modern physics, are leading to an unprecedented shift in human understanding of the nature of reality, one that many in the field feel will make the Copernican Revolution seem minuscule by comparison. In An End to Upside Down Thinking, Mark Gober provides a broad sketch of the relevant scientific lines of inquiry to support this inevitable, yet very empowering an
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I am still making my way through this book. I do find it very interesting and thought provoking, but I tend to try to apply what I learn as I go, so I think it may take me sometime to really work my way through his book. If you ever wondered about consciousness this book is for you. I would love it if you read this book and have thoughts to please share them with me. I love to read comments from others and interact with others who have thoughts about these types of books.
Callie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough about this life-enhancing book! This puts EVERYTHING into perspective and has been essential in reshaping the way I now look at and experience life! SO grateful to Mark Gober for putting this information together so brilliantly, in a way that is easy to follow, easy to understand and easy to immediately implement. I am a firm believer that this has brought my upside down thinking to an end and I am watching my world turn right side up as a result!!
Tximo
Sep 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
One of the most ridiculous books I have ever read. The whole book is nothing more than quote after quote from the same sources over and over and over. The author uses sound byte quotes from famous scientists to make it sound like he has represented the opposing side of the question at hand. I would like to have the time back that I invested in this book.
Vlad
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A valiant and brave attempt. Too much desire to believe led the author to overstate the case he’s trying to make. A more skeptical approach would’ve wooed better, rather than the zeal-infused path taken here.
Carla King
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books of our decade.
Andrew Ashby
It’s old news to me. I’ve been reading on this subject for over 30 years. NDEs and such. The evidence.
It’s so overwhelming that one has to wonder why the mass ignorance and rejection. I realize it’s not meant for us as humanity, to KNOW. Collective Consciousness, or God, whatever you call it, the absolute essence of Love, created the cosmos, the Universe, in such an exact mathematical motion so as to achieve the ability for the spiritual or unmanifested to become physical beings, a vehicle as i
Lenin Alevski
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
I love this kind of books, is very interesting when authors put a lot of question over the table and are not afraid to challenge the status quo (mainstream materialismo idiology) however I feel like the author uses a lot of argument from authority, statistical fallacies and conjectures to build his theory.

At the end of the book he throwed a lot of concepts to the reader to support his idea on why we all humans are the same "being" the same "consciousness", for instances he mentioned epigenetics
William A Black
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supporting Monist Idealism

I found this a helpful recapitulation of the current thinking regarding the metaphysics of Idealism. The introduction and early chapters provided an excellent restatement and insight into why this demonstrates a paradigm shift profoundly effecting existing scientific and philosophical reasoning. However, I found much of the evidence regarding psychic phenomena more of the nature of inferential supporting evidence rather than a proof and lacking a firm empirical or evide
Ogi Ogas
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
My ratings of books on Goodreads are solely a crude ranking of their utility to me, and not an evaluation of literary merit, entertainment value, social importance, humor, insightfulness, scientific accuracy, creative vigor, suspensefulness of plot, depth of characters, vitality of theme, excitement of climax, satisfaction of ending, or any other combination of dimensions of value which we are expected to boil down through some fabulous alchemy into a single digit.
Ali
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of all areas that you can find counter evidence to the main paradigm of consciousness...

esp, morphic resonance, NDE, and many more which many times are simply discarded as irrational and dogmatic beliefs are explored to good depth... Good for creative rule breakers and 'Did not finish' for many more...

J R
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not sure about how I feel about this book. Even with some scientific evidence he presents I just an not sure I believe in reincarnation, life after death and other concepts Gober presents. Guess none of us will know until death comes knocking at our door.

Nathan Wilson
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the book, some of the studies he references are older but of value. The authors outlook on conciseness are really interesting and show just how many important people in the science commuinity have some very different theories on where conciseness comes from.
Bill Lucas
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Great book about consciousness, near death experiences, materialism vs quantum consciousness as well as other psychic phenomena. Gober did some outstanding research and I felt his passion for the subject matter in each page. We will be talking about his book in mens group.
Mark Zellner
Sep 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This book starts out fantastic and goes downhill. The author begins with a delicious dissection of what we truly know about the universe and reality, but his critical thinking skills slag off considerably with every following chapter.
Rogier
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book can be very helpful for many who are still struggling with the implications of the model of metaphysical idealism (see Bernardo Kastrup) and how or why to transition from the still more common materialist/reductionist viewpoint. It is meticulously argued with many detailed examples.
Jeri  Goins
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I must say, it has been really interesting to drive while listening to this one. The author takes you through some thought experiments about the nature of reality and interconnectedness. VERY fun to think about while on the interstate.

• One Mind: How Our Individual Mind Is Part of a Greater Consciousness and Why It Matters
  • The Forgetting Machine: Memory, Perception, and the "Jennifer Aniston Neuron"
  • Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
  • The Miracle Club: How Thoughts Become Reality
  • The Immortality Key: Uncovering the Secret History of the Religion with No Name
  • Greenlights
  • The Searcher
  • The History of Ancient Egypt
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
  • Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives
  • Psychiatry: The Science of Lies
  • Lockdown
  • Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions
  • Reconnecting to the Source: The New Science of Spiritual Experience, How It Can Change You, and How It Can Transform the World
  • That's Mental: Painfully Funny Things That Drive Me Crazy About Being Mentally Ill

News & Interviews

Looking for some out-of-this-world reading this summer? Then we suggest taking a peek at these highly anticipated young adult books, all...