Start by marking “The Heart Shaped Leaf” as Want to Read:
The Heart Shaped Leaf

The Heart Shaped Leaf

Shira Geffen's beautiful and poetic story follows a little girl, Alona, on her journey home through a windswept park. She rests under a tree and eats an apple and, with each bite, a leaf falls off the tree. One of the leaves is different from the others - it is an enchanted, heart-shaped leaf, and it drops onto Alona's head and clings to her braid. The magical leaf ...more
Published December 19th 2018 by Green Bean Books

To ask other readers questions about The Heart Shaped Leaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart Shaped Leaf

Start your review of The Heart Shaped Leaf
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Pen & Sword and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

Ohh the cuteness of this is overflowing! The illustrations are adorable and beautiful, absolutely stunning, and the story is so sweet! I loved the message this story shared about how your heart will always find its way home. Home is where the heart is afterall which is something I very much believe in. The little girl is precious and this story is just such a feel good one.
Etienne
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strange but wonderful story. Not really sure I get the point and what the author is trying to say, but it was a good ride that I enjoy in this strange fantastical world/story. I also really like the art. Original!
Leah Horton
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the low brow illustrations in this story. The Heart Shaped Leaf was a really cute story. I loved the concept and the idea. I just wish that there was a little bit more to it. I feel like it was a bit rushed towards the end.
Cheryl
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reverence to a tree via the purity of a child.
Curatorium .
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart-warming modern fairy tale. Polonsky’s illustrations will capture young readers. Hidden faces combine with bright colours and deep landscapes to provide intrigue to all. Geffen’s words are profound and meaningful. Reading the words brings adults back to a simpler time and makes everyone kinder for at least a moment after reading.

Winner - The Hadassah Prize for Children’s Literature 2003
Winner - The Isreael Museum Prize for Illustratin 2004
Ryan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story touches the heart. A leaf follows a little girl home, but the tree needs that leaf back, and will not allow her soup to cool until the leaf is returned. It is a simple story but much deeper than I made it out to be. And the illustrations are master works. The should be a Reading Rainbow book. Someone call Lavar.
Christina  L
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: victor-books
Thank you to #netgalley for providing this book for our review. Victor loved it even though it was slow and didn’t have much action. This would be a great bedtime story. I liked that the girl cared about the tree. Also, the illustrations are lovely!
January Gray
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! You and your children will love it! Actually, all ages will love this beautiful read! Very touching!
Peacegal
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, that was certainly unique. The illustrations, while compelling, sometimes get a little "uncanny valley." A message about respecting others and "if you love something, set it free."
Kimberly Souza
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I found it to be really sweet, and lovely. The illustrations are beautiful. Great to read aloud.
Helena#bookdreamer
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Beautifully illustrated storybook about a girl who eats an apple from a tree and the leaves mysteriously fall off as she eats. One leave follows her home and the adventure continues. Enjoyed the message and the lyrical narration.
Shann

• The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived
  • Llamas with Lemonade: An Unusual Animal ABC
  • How to Catch a Dragon
  • King Mouse
  • Don't Let the Beasties Escape This Book!
  • Don't Drink the Pink
  • The Natural World: See the World as Never Before
  • Sharon, Lois and Bram's Skinnamarink
  • One Is a Lot (Except When It's Not)
  • Glow in the Dark: Animals at Night: with a huge Glow in the Dark poster
  • Whizzy Wheels Academy: Dylan the Dump Truck
  • The Perfect Birthday Recipe
  • The Rabbi Slurps Spaghetti
  • Help Wanted, Must Love Books
  • Voro : kolmen kuninkaan aarre
  • Where Is Home, Daddy Bear?
  • Batman: Detective Comics, Vol. 1: Mythology