Start by marking “Schaduwzwart (Spellslinger, #2)” as Want to Read:
Schaduwzwart (Spellslinger, #2)

Schaduwzwart

(Spellslinger #2)

Na het overweldigende eerste deel, verschijnt nu het tweede deel uit de magische Spellslinger-serie.

Vier maanden nadat Kellen zijn bevolking is ontvlucht, blijkt hij nog slechter te zijn in overleven als vogelvrijverklaarde dan als magiër. En dat zijn enige bondgenoten een opschepperige kaartspeler en een stelende eekhoornkat zijn, helpt ook niet al mee.

Dan ontmoet hij Sen
328 pages
Published March 20th 2018 by Meis & Maas (first published October 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Schaduwzwart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schaduwzwart

Bradley
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-shelf, ya, fantasy
I don't care who knows it, I'm a fanboy. Yes, it's fantasy YA, but after the first novel and having loved the flow so well and where it wound up, there's nothing that might convince me to stop now.

On the road.

Everything about the characters is fun. Sorry. It's just super easy reading and what's not to love about a wisecracking thieving racoon-cat who is the nightmare of every mage alive as your best friend? Or having a wily dancer/charmer showing him the ropes on the road in a permanent exile? O
Kaitlin
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was for sure a step up from book one, which I enjoyed, but this one kept me engrossed through to the end and I am now really looking forward to seeing where the story goes next. In this book we're once again following Kellen, who is (view spoiler) Jan'Tep (view spoiler). Kellen is accompanied by Reichis, a squirrel cat with a bad temper and a thieving paw, and his Argosi mentor who is supposedly training him. He ...more
Victoria Rose
Kid, one day, if you live long enough, you're gonna figure out that power is the biggest joke of all.

So Spellslinger was a fun, twisty turny adventure with added magic and angst and great characters, with wit and a few darker moments, but not so much of a wild west influence as the cover would suggest.

For Shadowblack, Castell has upped the darker moments by like 75%, upped the angst by 50%, upped the western style by 10% and kept everything else - the characters, the magic, the twisty turns, t
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I won a copy of this book through Readers First.

Even though The Greatcoats by Sebastien de Castell is one of my favourite fantasy series I have to admit that I haven’t read the first book in his YA fantasy series the Spellslinger series. You all know how it is, too many books and sadly, never enough time to read them all and ultimately some will end up passing you by.😢

I was, however
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/08/20/...

The Spellslinger series is starting to take shape with this second volume, and I’m liking where it’s going. Ex-magic student Kellen, having chosen the path of exile, has become transformed into a roaming outlaw of sorts, and I’m feeling these wonderful Western vibes seeping in. Best of all, traveling with our characters mean we get to discover a whole wide world of endless possibilities.

Indeed, Shadowblack is a sequel that greatly expands th
Emma
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
My name is Kellen Argos. I am the Path of Endless Stars.

While I enjoyed the first book, I Felt the story came into its own in this novel. I found this funnier too. Reikis and Kellen are great as is Ferous. Looking forward to more!
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another wonderful entry in this series. Sebastien de Castell is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

We pick up where Kellen left off, on the run with Ferius Parfax and Reichis the squirrel cat, wandering the Seven Sands and just trying to keep his head on his shoulders. Out in the desert he meets another Argosi, The Path of Thorns and Roses, who has a girl in her care, Seneira. Seneira, not even a mage, is also suffering the Shadowblack.

The twists and turns in this book were excellent. A
Mitriel
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me the next one now! Preferably with a nice hot bath and butter biscuits.
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
🌌 "We're finally reading this!" BR with the MacHalo Asylum loonies 🌌

#1. Spellslinger ★★★★

This is what my life had come to: I was now begging my own eyeballs for help, and even that didn’t feel strange.
@86%

I didn't lose my mind so much with this but I enjoyed it tremendously!

This never went where I half expected it to go and at first it seemed to be a little adrift without any real storyline in sight. Turned it around though, one of those weird impossible maneuver that cats pull of so effortle
Ivenn
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Castell just became one of my favourite authors. He casts magic like no one else.
Melissa
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reichis is my favorite "business partner", ever! He is so much like Rocket Raccoon, and I am living for it! He is the best comic relief for all the shit stuff that happened in this book. So excited to see what more shenanigans the gang is going to go through in the next book.
Wing Kee
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wandering novel with a really bad romance...really bad.

World: The world building here is still wishy washy like the first book. There is a good world here with some interesting ideas and places but it’s inconsistent, especially the magic system. I hate it when magic systems are not clearly defined and only come around to serve the purpose of the plot. That’s the case here, the magic is the way it is just for the story points to make a point or a plot point to drive up tension. I wish there was m
Dreximgirl
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I love this series. Everything about this book was great. The plot was intriguing and mysterious and definitely kept me hooked. I also like how while it was a contained adventure it also led into a more overarching plot. The character development was great for everybody, Kellen, Ferius and even Reichis had wonderful moments and finding out a little more about Ferius is always welcome as I adore her. Cannot wait for more from this series.

I was sent an advanced copy of this boo
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
Shadowblack is a very worthy and wonderful sequel to the fabulous Spellslinger!

This book picks up after the events of Spellslinger and throws you back into the action with a brand new and quite gripping new rip-roaring adventure with our intrepid and quite messed up young hero, his ferocious little squirrel cat and his new card-wielding mentor.

de Castell has written yet another rare and vivid fantasy for young adults that easily read by older too. His imagination knows no bounds and it shows yet
Siobhan
3.5 stars🌟
I enjoyed the storyline, but some of the characters annoyed me quite a bit. Reichis the squirrel cat was the best part of the book by far!
Christina Reid
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is fast-becoming one of my favourite fantasy series! It is a weird but perfect blend of magic, wild west-style gunslinging, frontier survival, murderous magical creatures and Kellen's stupid teenage decisions. This book will make you laugh, while drawing you in to really care about the characters. Reichis, the foul-mouthed squirrelcat is a particular favourite of mine, particularly when he shows his vulnerabilities a bit more in this book when faced with the only thing he is afraid of, a de ...more
Roy
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
A solid follow up to book 1. The 3 main characters in the group are back and go on an adventure. Meet up with some new characters at an Academy, the story starts to get intriguing from here. However, didnt feel as excited or engaged whilst reading this as compared to book 1. I think the development of the magic system in book 1 was what made it pretty cool. Plot was something standard you'd find in a YA fantasy novel, but still had great dialogue. Will probably finish the next book if its a
Raquel Baggins
Dec 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
«First thing you learn travelling the long roads, kid: language is as much in the way you speak as the words you choose»

{English}
Okay. Firstly, I’m strongly disappointed with this second instalment of Spellslinger series… But why am I that much disappointed? Mainly because I had really high expectations into this book when I read the first —you can read my full review of Spellslinger here— and also because the things that I had enjoyed most when reading the first instalment… I didn’t enjoyed
Patricia Crowther
Derpa
So Kellen is an outlaw now. Him, Ferius and Reichis are basically wandering the lawless deserts between the countries, being chased around by bounty hunters sent by Kellen's people, when they end up in a university city bringing together the young and rich to build their minds and their relationships. Now with some extra shadowblack infection! Something needs to be done.

I don't really like this series that much. It is what it is, I find it nothing even remotely close to what I loved about (at l
Lubinka Dimitrova
To be honest, I don't really like having the heroes of the stories I read thrust every few pages into seemingly hopeless situations where they get thoroughly beaten up, only to either then find themselves in an even worse situation or miraculously escape per the well known deus ex machina trick. So this book caused me extreme anxiety for too many pages, but in the end, I can truly say that it was just as good as the first one, perhaps even better, and my only thought upon finishing it was that i ...more
Shree143
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Squirrel cat 🐈thievery and bravery
Hermitt type Argosi Gurus (plural)
Ass kicking (mostly kellen's)
Deadly dance moves
Killing climax
Andrea
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Four months in the borderlands had brought me to one irrefutable conclusion: I made a terrible outlaw. I couldn't hunt worth a damn, got lost just about everywhere I went, and it seemed like every person I met found some perfectly sensible reason to try to rob me or kill me. Sometimes both.

Meet Kellen, the most adorable, clueless, and precious failed outlaw. Seriously though, the kid has it bad: exiled from his home country and shunned by his family for having a mysterious demon plague, trying (
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Sebastien de Castell nails it again.

This is a great follow up book and all of the things that I loved from the first are back again for this second outing.

These are quick easy reads and are a helluva entertaining romp. Lots of action and humor and even a smattering of some touching moments.

Definitely looking forward to the next one.
Adam
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
de Castell is a wonderful writer. I didn't like this book quite as much as the 1st one, but de Castell excels at character growth, and that kept me engaged. I'm definitely looking forward to the next in the series.
Jay  The Crippled God
Shadowblack,... such a wonderful journey focused on self discovery and following one's own path (view spoiler)

Unlike the first book that focused on setting up the world of spellslinger and introducing the reader to how the magic system worked, alongside the different clans and their politics and so on and forth, this book was focused on Kellen's life as an outcast and how he manages not only to survive, but thri
Sean
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Received copy from Netgalley for honest read and review.

As known I am an avid reader of all Sebastiens books,and this was a delight as usual.

Following on directly from where book 1 left off,our heroes are once again up against all odds and must fight their way out,often with hilarious outcomes.

Another stunning book,and I cannot wait for the next instalment to come out
Bart
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.00
Jonathan Wilson
4.25 Stars
Angela Groves
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't convinced with Spellslinger. I really enjoyed it, but after reading the Greatcoats, perhaps I wasn't ready. That being said by god I was ready for this! Shadowblack is a stunner of a second novel! The characters have time to evolve and I loved them! They were funnier, more loveable and full of sass, so much sass! The story was paced really well, and gave the whole series a sense of direction and purpose. Getting a second book right is a difficult thing, but this, this read like a dream.

• Who's Afraid Too?  (Tommi Grayson #2)
  • Too Sharp (Tara Sharp, #3)
  • Nepřítel mého nepřítele (Bavettovi, #2)
  • Muffin a čaj
  • Hero (The Hero Rebellion #1)
  • Votive (Curse of the Bond Rider #2)
  • Blood and Tempest (Empire of Storms, #3)
  • Goddess
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Софийски магьосници
  • Greylands
  • A Ghostly Demise (Ghostly Southern Mysteries #3)
  • The Blood She Betrayed (Heart Hunters #1)
  • Devil's Honey
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)
  • Small Shen
  • The Night of the Swarm (The Chathrand Voyages #4)
  • 22 Dead Little Bodies and Other Stories
Hi Folks!

My eighth novel, SOULBINDER is in stores in the UK & Australia, coming soon to North America.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree i

Spellslinger (6 books)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger #1)
  • Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
  • Queenslayer
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger #6)
“It's called the Way of Water, Dexan. You tried to kill me, so now I get to keep your hat. - Kellen” 8 likes
“First thing you learn travelling the long roads, kid: language is as much in the way you speak as the words you choose.” 6 likes