Start by marking “Easy Prey” as Want to Read:
Easy Prey

Easy Prey

Secrets and revenge run rampant in the Internet age—Easy Prey keeps you guessing until the final reveal

Only three students had access to a teacher’s racy photos before they went viral. There’s Mouse, a brainy overachiever so desperate to escape his father and go to MIT that he would do almost anything, legal or not. Then there’s Drew, the star athlete who can get any girl’
Published October 16th 2018 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Easy Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy Prey

Start your review of Easy Prey
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
We all remember high school. Everyone is put into some kind of category. In this novel, we have the jock, the nerd and the wholesome girl gone goth. Each of them have their own issues and when put together on a school project, they start learning there's more to each of them than meets the eye.

Here's what I love about a smartly done YA novel. Lo takes hot button topics such as sexting, privacy, the blame game and even parental liability into a high school scene where teenagers think there's noth
Laurie Flynn
I am a person who reads a lot of psychological thrillers. I love nothing more than a book that messes with my head. But since I read so widely, I can often see the twists and turns coming.
Well, not in EASY PREY.
I don't know how to review this book because I don't want to give away any of its surprises. What I can say is that Catherine Lo is masterful at writing the moral gray area and creating multifaceted characters you can love and hate in the same chapter. This book is smart, sharp, and leg
Amitaf0208
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - easy and enjoyable read with a satisfying yet predictable ending.
Chiara
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I thought this was going to be a book about strong women who don’t take shit and call men out on their bullshit, and in a way it was, but the ending and the “collateral damage” surrounding it just f’ed it all up. I have no excuses for this. Nothing in this book is okay.
Jolien
Sep 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Review on my blog The Fictional Reader

Listen, I don’t like writing negative reviews on books that haven’t been released yet/review copies. It always makes me feel guilty. But I just couldn’t not write a review for this book. I don’t give 1 star to books often. In fact, I almost never do it. But this book made me so angry I had to stop reading every 2 to 5 pages. It actually managed to give me heartburn, because the anger was riling up my weak stomach.

I want to preface this review by saying I am
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Holy unbelievable ending, Batman.

Three students see Ms. Bailey’s naked pictures. At least one shares them. The suspects: Jenna’s whose topless pictures went viral last year; Drew, the obnoxious jock with a history of requesting nude pictures from girls; nerdy computer whiz Mouse.

Catherine Lo created three complicated characters who were both frustrating and endearing. Glimpses into their home lives show even more. EASY PREY is a slow burn which at times left me wondering if the story would be a
Atlas
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, arc-s
"This time I'm ready. I'm not easy prey anymore"

* * *
3 / 5

Easy Prey reminded me a lot of One of Us is Lying, but around the theme of sexual photos being leaked rather than murder. This was a really compelling book, but it was also quite confusing. The characters are complicated, complex, and also despicable and made my skin crawl at different points. I really wasn't sure what to make of this book.

Easy Prey has three main characters:

Jenna, an ex-good girl turned goth/rebel after her nudes were le
Amber Garabrandt
Summary:

Three students had access to a teacher’s revealing photos before they were posted to the internet. There’s Mouse, the genius level overachiever that will stop at nothing to get into MIT, Jenna, once bubbly and popular now mistrusting miscreant after her own pics found their way onto the internet; and Drew star athlete with more charm than any one boy should have. All three deny posting the pictures, but someone knows what’s going on. This is an interesting who-done-it for the internet-c
maddie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
S.M. Parker
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Lo’s brilliant latest novel tackles the timely subject of sexting and its consequences. Lo’s dialogue is so crisp and whip smart that I instantly fell in love with all three characters, each telling the story from their point of voice. A masterful storyteller, Lo crafts a plot that ensnares predator and prey and leaves the reader guessing right up until the end. EASY PREY isn’t one you’ll want to miss.
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Pure, twisty goodness!!!

I loved every page!
Claire is looking for Bloodlines series ARCs
This book isn't what I was expecting. Judging by the premise, the reader would expect that the good girl turned rebel (Jenna) is the easy prey (get it?) but there is so much more to this book than what one may expect.

While I appreciate the author's cautionary tale of sexting and privacy with the added complication of having personal stuff spread in the internet, I don't think this book is without flaws. For starters, this book can be problematic. The premise, for instance, is about a girl who h
Julie Suzanne
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hs-library
I can’t believe how good this is. Realistic YA fiction dealing with the topic of sexting in an exciting plot that reads like a thriller. Would be great for an upper high school book club; there is so much to discuss! A major point of discussion is the double standard we have for boys and girls in terms of responsibility. I can’t imagine any high school student reading this and not devouring it and wanting to talk passionately about it. So good.
Morris
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, recommend
"Easy Prey" is a fast-paced psychological thriller that kept me guessing throughout. It was a single day read for me, and that doesn't happen often! Recommended for those looking for something quick and engaging that is based in real world issues.

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for honest feedback.
Christine
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-na
A speedy read about the aftermath of a nude photo leak at a Canadian high school. It was entertaining, if predictable, and reminded me a bit of a television teen soap - in a good way.
Laura Gardner
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to audiobook sync for this one! This twisty thriller actually got me...I didn’t see that end coming.
Marci Curtis
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG Y'ALL...I can't say a lot here because of spoilers, but HOLY MOTHER OF TWISTY PLOTS. This is an addictive psychologic thriller that keeps you guessing till the very last page. Sharp, unpredictable, and masterfully written, EASY PREY is absolutely brimming with multifaceted, interesting characters that you will love and hate in turns. Perfect for fans of ONE OF US IS LYING.

JUST READ IT, ALREADY.
YOU CAN THANK ME LATER.
Catherine Bukowski
THIS BOOK!!! Following the story of these three teenagers from different time points leading to a huge scandal had me hooked. The ending threw me for a loop and I can honestly say I didn't see it coming. Gotta love a good twist. Overall this was such an entertaining read but also a very stressful one because I almost feel attached to the characters and I found myself worrying for them.
Jazmen
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy prey’s story is directly relevant to its title. It tells the story of how when you prey on others, completely disregard the people you hurt, you just might become easy prey yourself.

The internet can be a nasty place. I think many of us have experienced its nastiness in some way shape or form. Easy prey shows this in seemingly real time.

Jenna, Mouse, and Drew are paired off in law class. As a group, they must tackle the effects of the internet by reviewing a case in which a girl’s photos ar
Jessica
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to Amulet Books for the free copy in exchange for my honest review.

Leaked photos are a big issue in recent years. People’s personal photos taken and shared with the world which creates big controversies. However, when it takes place in a high school and the owner of the photos is a teacher, that causes alarm. When only three students have access to these photos before they go viral, they have to figure out which one of them did it.

We have three very different characters that could be to
Kristina Lenarczyk
If you have been keeping up with my social media, you will know that in January I went back to university and have been way too busy to read for pleasure. I am winding down the semester and over the holiday break decided I would pick up this book since I had been eyeing it for a while and I am SO glad that I did. I managed to break through my reading slump and finish this book in less than 48 hours, I could not seem to put it down!

I have read a few comments posted by fellow readers, and the bigg
Michelle
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

These three start their project and quickly end up playing a game with their teacher Miss Bailey by pretending to be a guy on her dating site. Things escalate (you'll find out when you read!) and suddenly nude pictures of their law teacher end up in their hands. Everyone promises to delete the photos and move on, but when they appear on a blog and the school is notified - who will end up being the one who leaked the photos of Miss Bail
Emily
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book, and I think my dog got longer walks because of it. Easy Prey is fast-paced and plot-driven, but the characters are also well-developed. This is a unique story - I haven't read anything else like it, and I had no idea how it was going to end. That being said, I'm not sure the author gave us enough clues along the way for the ending to make sense, but if I had a hard copy of the book, I would be curious enough to go back and check. I loved that the characters were not all ...more
Ashley
Feb 06, 2019 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2019
I gave up on this one about 50ish pages in - I didn't like the characters, the story was boring, and I didn't overly like the way it was written (it seemed more like how adults think teenagers talk.) I skimmed the rest, just to see how they got the teacher's pictures and who was the one who posted it, but I didn't even care by the end of my skimming.

Unfortunate, because this book seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews, but this wasn't the book for me.
Kim Jones
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars I like the 24 hour rule and the idea of not remaining a victim.
Barbara
Although I saw the ending in this well-plotted YA novel coming, it took me several pages before my suspicions were raised. I loved how the book could have been torn from the pages of current events as it tackles nude photos, sexting, blaming, friendship, family dynamics, and privacy, all issues that are preoccupying many of us. And honestly, I could see just about any of the events described in this book actually happening. Moving back and worth in time, the story revolves around three friends-- ...more
Andrew
Easy Prey is, in a short sentence, a digital feminist mystery thriller. Narrated by three students back and forth throughout the course of a month, there are compromising pictures of students, a contest between the jocks of who can get the most photos, and a database created for them to store everything on. Easy Prey gradually becomes more intense the further you venture, and ultimate twists that will astound you in the best kind of way. I devoured it, thrilled not just from the story but from t ...more
Nicole Sweeney
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

Easy Prey is a perfect autumn read – it’s dark, mysterious and absolutely unputdownable.

The story follows three students who are accused of leaking racy photos of a teacher on Twitter. The three students are completely different – the geeky brainiac who is whizz with computers, the popular athlete and the good girl turned rebel after her own racy photos were leaked online. They all claim their innocent, but if they didn’t do it who did?

The
emma (thehapabookworm)
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yarc
“[Jenna] rolled her eyes, ‘Yeah Drew. I bragged about the fact I’d seen my law teacher naked.’” Although they all deny leaking the photos, only three people had access to the photos of Miss Bailey before they went public. There’s Jenna, the rebel; Mouse, the brains; and Drew, the jock.

Easy Prey is an outstanding dark and edgy thriller about sexting, rumors, and how one mistake can change the lives of many, complete with an epic twist at the end that you won’t suspect. Catherine Lo’s latest nove
Haley Shaffer
Yikes. As a teacher, this was a cringe-worthy read. After a teacher’s racy photos go viral, three students, with seemingly little in common, suddenly have a big secret to keep. Who released the photos? Was it Jenna-who was involved in her own sexting scandal just a year before? How about Drew, the charming athlete known for collecting photos of scantily clad females. Or was it Mouse? The school’s resident nerd who is trying to prove himself worthy of this father’s attention.

I couldn’t figure ou
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Like No Other
  • Into White
  • Sisters Matsumoto
  • The Brontë Plot
  • Disappeared (Disappeared, #1)
  • The Silence Between Us
  • Secret Soldiers: How the U.S. Twenty-Third Special Troops Fooled the Nazis
  • In Search Of Us
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Fake
  • Mexican Whiteboy
  • Hope Nation: YA Authors Share Personal Moments of Inspiration
  • Fresh Ink: An Anthology
  • Burn Baby Burn
  • Picture Us in the Light
  • A Christmas Carol: What if Scrooge were a woman?
  • The Music of What Happens