Start by marking “Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)

Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame #1-3 omnibus)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  959 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Science Fiction Book Club omnibus containing the first three books in the series: The Sleeping Dragon, The Sword and the Chain, and The Silver Crown.
Published 1985 by Nelson Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardians of the Flame

Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dungeons and Dragons aficionados, YA Fantasy lovers.
Shelves: fantasy, teen-ya
The Guardians of the Flame is an epicoid Fantasy I read as the SFBC omnibus editions were released in the '80s. This was my 3 reading. These are typical '80s Fantasies, not complex, good always wins, easy, quick escapist reads. They are simply fun without a lot of philosophical or moral wanderings. I fully enjoyed this 3rd read.

7 of 10 stars for the series. Book #1 of the series is the best, as usual, 7 of 10; books #2 and #3, 6 of 10 stars. .
Daniel Lofton
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
There's a decades old nostalgia at work here, definitely, but I've read this compilation more time than I can remember since one summer when I was 12 or 13. I love this book and all it's self-assured smarter than the average bear folks trapped in a game world tropes.
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Books 1 and 2 are 3.5-4 stars, but book 3 is a solid 5 star
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I originally read this back in middle or high school, when I was a D&D nerd, so the idea of getting sent into a D&D world as the character I played (since that was usually a big ol' barbarian) fit my personal preferences to a T. I picked it up recently to relive the old days and see how it had held up, and I have to say, it's done pretty well, all things considered. The writing itself is pretty solid, and the basic story line is interesting, with a lot of foreground elements to keep the ...more
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors contain the first 3 books of the series, of which I believe there are 10 total.

I first read these books many years ago and throughly enjoyed them as they gave a somewhat plausible explanation of the two different worlds, and had a raw gritty feel to them that I enjoyed.

Rereading them however, I had a hard time with symphathizing with the characters - the main characters seemed self indulgent and spent most of the time bullying other characters into doing
Erich Weidner
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A book clearly inspired by (early) Dungeons & Dragons the role playing game with an interesting twist.

Though it started a bit weak and I had trouble getting into it it certainly picked up and by a third to half way through had captured my interest sufficiently that I read through the last half of the book over just a few evenings.

The author tried to be faithful to some of the key tenets of D&D (character classes & levels) which though a bit amusing to see the characters in the fanta
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
if u plan on reading this book, plan on a long read, there are 10 books total in this series but the 10th book does end with everything working out. now on with my review. great 1st 3 books of the flames series. the last book the author doesnt quite finish the tale but doesnt leave u hanging either if that makes any sense so u will need to read the 4th book in the series to know how the full story goes. its a fast paced read. once u start reading it u wont want to put the book down. lots of acti ...more
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
As someone who enjoys fantasy roleplaying games, I enjoyed reading this anthology, which contains the first three books in The Guardians of the Flame series. I definitely thought of some of my fellow roleplayers with some of the things which went on, and I'm definitely planning to get the next book in the series because I want to know more of what's going on with some of the more powerful characters and what's going to happen with the main characters - Rosenberg gives you intriguing glimpses, bu ...more
Harrison Phillips
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was very enjoyable with well developed characters and a nice story line. It was fast paced and kept my interest. This is actually three books in one with each book separated. I especially liked the way the author was able to create the concept of having characters from our timeline and society into those of a fantasy and how he made them into dwarfs and wizards and warriors. Though they remembered where they had come from they also knew who they were in this other fantasy world. I would rec ...more
Hoo boy. Okay, so the only way to get this for Kindle is to get the first three books, and let me tell you, one was quite enough. Ugly, ugly attitudes towards women, and worse, in a way where I suspect the author thought he was being progressive. That was hard to get past. The rest of it is also not great, about a gaming group whose GM, who is also their professor, has them sucked into their game world. So, yeah, we're talking a lot to overcome, here.
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent old school D&D style series. What sets it apart is that the characters make a moral decision to save one of their own and sacrifices are required...

The later books in the series lose some of their charm as a few of the core characters move out of the main storyline.

Great action, biting humor and endearing characters.

Joel Rosenberg's passing was a great loss. Condolences to his family and friends.
Captain Bruce Wooten
I first read this book in the 80's. I loved it then, I love it now. I passed it down to my children and they all have read and love it as well.

The character motivations are easily understood and their actions never make you question why they would do them. I believe this type of story gets old and the author demonstrates how a well written story can always be enjoyed.
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are really fun books - for those that like fantasy and even for those who don't - like me. I think the clincher for me is how well Rosenberg writes his characters. They all have a fantastic voice and are very real. The language can sometimes be questionable, depending on the character, but I still really like these books.
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a kid I didn't like to read that much, then I discovered Fantasy & Science Fiction. I received this as the book of the month from the SFBC (never seem to remember to send the card back in time.) For 15 year old me, this book really solidified a lifetime love of Fantasy. I've read this omnibus at least 5 times since then and maybe its nostalgia but I still love it today.
Todd R
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Only read the first book. I realized when starting the second that the characters no longer interested me. Unlike my first read through of this series twenty years ago the simplistic nature of the quest did not appeal to me.
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this as a teenager.
At the time it was a pretty damn good read but I fear it does not hold up well with time.
It's very easy to read and has an interesting premise and while there is some unpleasantness it is most definitely light fantasy and a bit simplistic.
Jessica Mahler
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A very good premise and interesting characters, but doesn't hold my focus very well. I managed to read it through, and very much enjoyed the evolution of the characters in the first book. But by the second book it just got hard got to stay involved in the story. Not a bad read, but not the best.
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read this book before back in the 80's, and am currently reading it again. It was actually 3 books in the 80's, but all 3 of them are in this single volume. I loved it back then, and love it now.
J Wrin
Oct 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Started ok but soon wondered off into self-indulgent nonsense. Lead characters are too smug and self-satisfied. You end up not caring what happens to them because they are so unappealing. A waste of time.
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very Fun Fantasy Book .... includes all three books in the series The Sleeping Dragon, The Sword and the Chain and The Silver Crown.
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
1st 3 books in guardians of the flame series
Aaron Teitelbaum
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, fantasy

Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was great, especially since I got it from my own Dungeon Master to read when we were in the middle of our own campaign in high school.
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to have this chunk of the collection digitally at a reasonable price. My paperbacks are getting to old to touch.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun for what it is, a stroll down a memory lane of 80s fantasy tales and late-nighgt D&D campaigns at the kitchen table surrounded by Doritos and Mountain Dew.
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons
This was so awesome. The elves in it were a let down, but other than that this was a really good book.
Eric J. Goers
Jan 24, 2017
Ogreart Art
Jun 10, 2016
May 02, 2014
  • The Shadow Gate
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion #1-4)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn (Thieves' World, #2)
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • Endgame (Merovingen Nights, #7)
  • Doctor Who and Underworld
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • Warlord (The General, #1-2)
  • With Stars Underfoot (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Quest to Riverworld (Riverworld)
  • Ladyhawke
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • Grantville Gazette VI (Grantville Gazette, #6)
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)

Note: This is a different person than the political/thriller author, Joel C. Rosenberg

Joel Rosenberg was the author of the bestselling Guardians of the Flame books as well as the D'Shai and Keepers of the Hidden Ways series. He made his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
More about Joel Rosenberg...

Guardians of the Flame (10 books)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3)
  • The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4)
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • The Road to Ehvenor (Guardians of the Flame, #6)
  • The Road Home (Guardians of the Flame, #7)
  • Not Exactly the Three Musketeers (Guardians of the Flame, #8)
  • Not Quite Scaramouche (Guardians of the Flame, #9)
  • Not Really The Prisoner of Zenda (Guardians of the Flame, #10)