Start by marking “The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)

The Queen of Ieflaria

(Tales of Inthya #1)

Princess Esofi of Rhodia and Crown Prince Albion of Ieflaria have been betrothed since they were children but have never met. At age seventeen, Esofi's journey to Ieflaria is not for the wedding she always expected but instead to offer condolences on the death of her would-be husband.

But Ieflaria is desperately in need of help from Rhodia for their dragon problem, so Esofi
Published February 19th 2018 by Ninestar Press, LLC

Start your review of The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
Lex Kent
3.50 Stars. A good YA fantasy read. I just love lesfic fantasy books, and when you throw in dragon’s it just makes it all the better. However, this was not a perfect book for me. The premise was great, but this had a few misses when it came to execution. But overall I enjoyed the read and will read book 2 in this series.

Princess Esofi (I pronounced it Sophie but am not sure if that is right) has been engaged to the Prince of Ieflaria since she was a child. Now that she is 18, it is time to offi
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Real rating 3.5 stars, rounding up for the gay.

Short review: this was good and very gay and it had kittens, dragons and unicorns. You can stop here if that sounds like something you need in your life (and honestly, you can never have enough of all those things).

Slightly longer review:
I liked a lot of the stuff in this, and that's also the biggest problem of this book.

L
Boston
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YES YES YES YES YES
Kristin
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Who doesn't love a good fantasy read with princess and magic and well dragons! The plot is pretty awesome too. But the execution is darn frustrating.
When a novel is turn into a movie, everything is rushed like in Harry Potter movies. This novel feels like the movie version of the story. It seem like the writer is trying to finished the book within a fixed word count and a very short one too. I love the story, the plot and everything(come on even the cover is fantastic!), but I'll never get why e
Alexa
Read on my blog.

I received a copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Release date: February 19th, 2018 by Nine Star Press

I remember seeing this wonderful cover on Twitter and hearing that the book would be about queer princesses, and I immediately fell in love. And let me tell you, when I finally got to read it, The Queen of Ieflaria turned out to be everything I hoped for and more.

To say that The Queen of Ieflaria has queer princesses is technically true, but it's a huge underst
fae
This is a really good nice light gay book, it has magic, dragons, a unicorn, princesses marrying princesses, and one of them upset the other and literally gave her a kitten as an apology! seriously everyone should do that

I liked the characters of both the princesses, Esofi and Adale.
Esofi was hella badass, she was blessed with magic and fought dragons and had been preparing to be a queen ever since she was 3yo but she had kinda low self-esteem because all her life her mother gave her shit for b
Acqua
The Queen of Ieflaria is the first book in the fantasy romance series Tales of Inthya. The second book’s title hasn’t been announced yet, but it will follow different characters.

The two PoV characters and their romance were my favorite aspect of the book. If you’re looking for a slow-paced, sweet f/f romance between princesses with a sideplot about magical creatures, The Queen of Ieflaria is perfect for you.

I loved Adale. She’s not your typical rebellious princess who wants to fight or run away
Stephanie
*4.5 stars*

Ahhhh this book is so adorable! If you love high fantasy, court intrigue, dragons and sweet romance, then you really need to read this book. I finished it and made an actual, instinctive "Awww!" sound at the perfect ending! But I also can't wait to read more books in this series.

Princess Esofi of Rhodia has known since she was three that she would have to travel to wed Prince Albion of Ieflaria when she was 18. Unfortunately, when she finally arrives to marry him, she finds he was act
CLo
An enjoyable read

I enjoyed this read and will have to agree with my Goodread friend Lex that Esophi is on bad@$# b!%&h and honestly the story though about both characters seemed to center around her more because of the dragons and magic. I kind of wanted Adele to be something more and honestly at first saw her like a Robin Hood type of character with the hunting and supposed drinking with her merry band of outcasts. Sadly, though I would have loved that, it did not seem to take that shape. I am
Aleksandra
The Queen of Ieflaria is fantasy novel about two princess falling in love and fighting dragons. I love the concept and I find worldbuilding to be fascinating, however, I can't say that I loved the book. Overall, it was an underwhelming reading experience. Despite all of the cool elements (sapphic princesses!!! dragons!!! magic!!!), I felt that the book lacked a spark and depth to the characterization and major conflict.

We follow the story from the pov of two princesses Esofi and Adale. Esofi tra
thefourthvine
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely adorable and very sweet f/f romance featuring political marriage and magic and dragons. I did wish, because I am me, that we got to the marriage and the sex and so on, but I loved what we did get here: a delightful courtship, a great dynamic, and a princess fighting dragons. This was also the perfect antidote to my Too Many Dead Queer Fictional Ladies Malaise, and I am so happy to have read it when I did.
Lari
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, non-audio
Kogiopsis
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer-stuff
Meh. Sorry to everyone who loves this book, but it fell into a trap I find f/f novels do with disappointing regularity: we get that queer romance we've always wanted, but it comes with basically no chemistry.

That's what it comes down to for me - this fantasy setting isn't particularly innovative, but there's nothing wrong with that if it's being used to tell a good story. Here, I just felt like the heart of the story was meant to be the relationship between Esofi and Adale, but they both sort of
Stephanie
I really wanted to like this book. I've been reading a little more fantasy lately and the blurb sounded good. However...it was really really long. Yes, this from the person that has complained recently about lesfic books being too short. But there was a ton of "god" stuff in there that really only confused the hell out of me and wasn't even really relevant. Esofi was the only main character that was really well developed. The other, Adale was just a spoiled brat and really didn't change much.
I a
Mitya
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I'm going to have to go with the official goodreads description for two stars on this book: it was ok.

I wanted to love it. Forced/arranged marriage is one of my favorite things. But there were just a whole lot of little things that bothered me, and ruined me doing more than sort of liking it.

*I find it really hard to believe a princess of Esofi's caliber doesn't automatically travel with mourning clothes. That's like SOP for royal families, the president's family, etc.

*I never really understood
iam
Buddy read with Sasha ! <3
I enjoyed this a lot!

The Queen of Ieflaria has a lovely plot. Princess Esofi has been engaged to the Crown Prince of Ieflaria for years, but while she's travelling to their the wedding he dies. Ieflaria desperately needs Esofi's and her country's help in fighting the dragons that keep attacking, and generous and kind Esofi doesn't want the contract to fail either, so she agrees to marry the new heir - Crown Princess Adale. But Adale has never been trained to rule a ki
Melissa Jacobson
Actual rating 4.75

This. Is. So. Good. I absolutely loved this lovely fantasy about FAT PRINCESS who is negotiating a marriage contract with a TOMBOY PRINCESS. Also DRAGONS. This was everything I wanted and I loved it. The magic system was unique and fleshed out, the characters were loveable and intriguing, and the romance was excellent. I cannot wait for book two! The only reason this wasn't give stars is that the middle was a little slow for me but that aside I am so into this series.
Carrie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Queen of Ieflaria, by Effie Calvin, is the first book in a fantasy series. Esofi, a princess of Rhodia, has been betrothed to Albion, the heir of Ieflaria, since they were young children. When Albion dies in an accident, Esofi travels to Ieflaria with the intention of marrying the new heir, who turns out to be Adale. Adale, as second child, had never intended on becoming queen and, as such, is found lacking, enough that her two cousins throw their hats into the ring for becoming heir and, co ...more
Yasaman
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a withered old crone now, clearly, because my main response to this slight and frothy romance between two teenaged princesses was mostly just "children, it has been like two days, you are not in love and you two need to focus on the IMPORTANT THINGS like SAVING YOUR PEOPLE FROM DRAGONS and GOOD GOVERNANCE." Also the ratio of clunky exposition to actual romance was way off.
Leigh Kramer
This was a fascinating premise! The prince and princess of two countries were pledged to each other as children but then he dies when she's already on her way to his country to marry him. And the next heir in line is his sister the princess!

I really liked how sexuality wasn't an issue at all. When Esofi learns Adale is the heir, she just rolls with it. The only question about two princesses marrying has to do with heirs but there is a process called the Change, which can allow one to become preg
Jasmine
What an adorable arranged-marriage f/f romance. With dragon-fighting! And meddling gods! Perfect for travel-day reading, for sure.

Prose is a bit rough at times, and I am firmly convinced that none of these ladies in waiting are good ones (exception made for Lisette, who is not a lady), but fun.
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
a concept: f/f fantasy that isn't excruciatingly slow with a couple that gets together before the last page. what a thought.
Cinnia Is Still Not Over Thornfruit
This was a really fun and quick summer read and made me laugh a lot. I wasn't sure what I expected from venturing out to try a new author but Effie Calvin wrote a story that certainly entertained me.

I really liked the casual queerness of the entire book and worldbuilding without like all the queerphobia fantasy books tend to feature.

I also liked the magic and religious systems and the roles they played in the story and plot.

Adale and Esofi were very fun romance characters, dynamic-wise and I d
Abi
This was a quick, cute read. I'd had it on my want-to-read list for a while, so it was nice that my library hold finally came in. I liked the fantasy and court intrigue aspects, along with the romance. I thought it was developed enough for the 180 or so pages, although I would have liked more overall exploration of the characters and world if the book had been longer. That said, I did think that the world building was interesting and satisfactory, as was the romance. I liked both Adale and Esofi ...more
Natalie
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This was sweet, fluffy YA fantasy with an arranged marriage romance between a pretty pretty battlemage princess and a brooding roguish layabout princess. The ending was too cute for words.

Other things that were cool: canonically nonbinary characters (alas, none in the main cast, though), one of the princesses is fat and stays that way through the whole book.

The writing itself is pretty meh and the plot is sort of a weird soup of not very connected events--the fact that the titular country is ca
Lindsay
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt
A short secondary world fantasy novel with two Princesses in an arranged marriage.

Princess Esofi of Rhodia has been betrothed to the Prince of Ieflaria since she was free. When she journeys to the country where she will eventually become Queen she learns that her fiance has died and that her prospective new choice is the Prince's sister Adale. The country of Ieflaria desperately needs Esofi because of the powerful magic that the Rhodians bring which will help Ieflaria defeat the dragons that are
Louise
The Queen of Ieflaria is quite a short book, only 171 pages, but it’s packs a punch. The world-building Calvin has put in is really impressive, there’s multiple kingdoms, political/religious systems and magic skills. In fact, there’s a few things I wish I could of been fleshed out — merpeople, talking unicorns, the dragon Emperor and the dragon society, a separate elvish world — but I suspect that these things are being saved for future stories in this universe.

The romance/ relationship related
Jess
Check out this review and more on my blog!

I am actively in search of more LGBT+ fantasy, particularly LGBT+ fantasy featuring queer women, so when I came across a novella that promised an arranged marriage between two princesses I snapped up a copy immediately.

Unfortunately I didn’t love this one as much as I hoped I would, which you can probably tell from my rating, but it’s not an awful story by any means either.

Princess Esofi of Rhodia has been prepared for marriage all her life. Sin
Jess
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

This book takes place in a pretty, glossy fantasy setting while deftly tackling themes of class differences, arranged marriage drama, and discovering magic for the first time. It also happens to be a book where I cared a lot more for the characters and their human drama than I did for the fantasy elements.

I enjoyed
Book Gannet
I really wasn’t sure about this book at first, because the first chapter is one massive infodump. Yes, this is a very nice world that the author has built, but I’m not sure I needed to know everything about it all at once, especially when the lack of context meant most of it flew straight out of my head again. It also didn’t help that Adale was so unbelievably childish.

Thankfully, Esofi is the complete opposite and I kept reading for her, which was a good decision because this book is actually r
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • The Eldritch Heart (Eldritch Heart, #1)
  • Breaking Legacies
  • Soldier of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #2)
  • Aurora's Angel
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • Dragon Whisper (The Dark Age Trilogy #1)
  • Dare to Love
  • Thorn
  • Breaking Character
  • Witching Moon
  • Survival Instincts
  • Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood
  • The Fletcher (The Arrow of Artemis, #1)
  • Compass Rose
  • The Sting of Victory (Fallen Gods, #1)
  • The Sagittarius (The Arrow of Artemis, #3)
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
Effie is a human being who spends her days writing books and taking pictures of her cat and being a librarian.

She especially likes writing (and reading!) stories about fantasy worlds where LGBTQ people aren't just tolerated, they're openly embraced and seen as equals.

Tales of Inthya (4 books)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)
  • The Empress of Xytae (Tales of Inthya, #4)