Start by marking “The Frame-Up (The Golden Arrow #1)” as Want to Read:
The Frame-Up (The Golden Arrow #1)

The Frame-Up

(The Golden Arrow #1)

By day she writes comic books. By night, she lives them.

MG Martin lives and breathes geek culture. She even works as a writer for the comic book company she idolized as a kid. But despite her love of hooded vigilantes, MG prefers her comics stay on the page.

But when someone in LA starts recreating crime scenes from her favorite comic book, MG is the LAPD’s best—and only—le
Published December 1st 2018 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Frame-Up, please sign up.
Evelynn The whole book has the romance element running through it.

Start your review of The Frame-Up (The Golden Arrow #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book! I mean a freakin' bad @ss woman that writes and works for a comic book company; throw in some mystery and mayhem and we have an awesome book!

I love MG, who was actually named after a boy, she's smart, sexy and cool! She has some fantastic best friends and a love interest in the handsome detective she's working with on the case.

If you love comics/graphic novels and mystery books then I recommend you check this one out!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Matthew
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2019, mystery, humor
I can equate how I felt about this book in a way that might make sense to some –mainly if you have read Ernest Cline’s work. I loved Ready Player One. For me, it was just the right level of pop culture entertainment to keep me smiling at the references and feeling nostalgic. Then I read his follow-up Armada and it felt like he was trying way too hard to be pop culture, trendy, and cool. I still enjoyed it, but the forcing of some pop culture simile or metaphor every few sentences became exhausti ...more
Lena
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4ABDE7A2-6D00-4288-8B4D-F16E66AD3EFB.jpg

Geek chic romantic suspense, why thank you kindle first!

What I enjoyed:
The humor.
The well placed fantasy and SciFi references.
A well woven caper between the comic world and the real world, the past and the present.

What I loved!
The very best of PG13 adult romance. That heated getting-to-know-you time written with spice! The MCs are very Dharma & Greg.

“Here I am with a gorgeous Muggle, and the world still has magic in it.”

What I hated:
The civilian who dips her toe in police work and dec
Dennis
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining.

MG (Short for Michael-Grace. Thank you very much, parents!) is a 30-year-old woman working in a male-dominated business. She's a comic book writer, who's part of a team at Genius Comics that is working on the reboot of the highly popular eighties superheroes comic The Hooded Falcon. She's also responsible for Hero Girls, the only comic in Genius Comics' portfolio that is centered around female characters, written by its only female writer, Michael-Grace Martin. MG certainly has
Rachelle
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Aaaand I'm done. Frankly, this just didn't work for me. The character was unlikeable and the basic plot (writer/artist gets pulled into a criminal investigation to help the police solve the crime) has been done dozens of times before with frankly a lot more success.

There were a couple of scenes that I loved and thought worked really well, but for the most I spent my time wondering why MG is such a self-absorbed idiot who thinks she has insider knowledge that makes her so much smarter than the po
Mike Chen
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Frame Up is both a fast paced mystery caper and a romantic comedy with a snappy voice. what makes it stand apart is how it immerses itself in geek culture, celebrating it while acknowledging the overt difficulties women in fandom and in yhe industry have. by blending this all together, Molin has crafted a highly entertaining book that appeals equally to those genres as well as geeky fans who don't always read mysteries.
Mary Keliikoa
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this fun caper.

Sassy Michael-Grace as the MC kept me engaged. Loved her friends--Lawrence was my favorite--and loved how everyone felt like a suspect at one point or another. Just enough twists, turns and romance to keep me engaged to the very end. Will be looking forward to Book 2.
Bree Hill
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great read! Right amount of mystery, right amount of romance. MG is very passionate about comics and I loved that. Her point of view was A very enlightening and interesting one to read from. This story is completely submersed in geek culture which was super fun, and really hits hard on how difficult it can be for women in the fandom world.

Awesome read!
Travis Arnold
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, just awful. There was so much bad about this. First, the author needs to hire an editor. Or a better editor. Lots of mistakes. Using wrong names. Using "she" instead of "he," or even more confusingly, using them both interchangeably for the second person in a single page. Very confusing.

The geek references were forced. They were constant and awkward, sound like someone trying to make geek references rather than the way an actual geek thinks. Plus the video game references were of
Suanne
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, mystery
The Frame-Up by Meghan Scott Molin is a humorous contemporary mystery/romantic comedy with diverse characters: a geeky female main character (Michael-Grace), her straight-laced cop boyfriend (Matteo), and her drag-queen best friend (Lawrence) along with beaucoup geeksters as secondary characters. The tone is slightly snarky, and the pace clips along rapidly, keeping me fully focused on the novel. Most enjoyable is that MG, tired of men trying to change her, has given up on relationships, yet rem ...more
Sassapphras
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, i-quit
DNF at 16%

So I considered marking this as 'currently reading' and updating my progress to say that I'm not sure this one is for me because this chick has too much of a chip on her shoulder about being a nerd girl, but as I was contemplating that course of action, I just suddenly felt like I just don't have an interest in continuing the story. It's not horrible (I've definitely read worse), but I don't want to deal with the whole, "I'm a girl nerd and I'm so tired of people not accepting me." Lik
Kelly
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr
I was ridiculously lucky to read an early copy of this baby. Meghan's debut has EVERYTHING. Quirky comic book setting. Fun action. Twisty mystery. And a sassy heroine I'd love to hang out with. The heart-melting chemistry and geek culture puts THE FRAME-UP over the top. (FYI I've called dibs on a certain swoony cop.) Buy this book. Read this book. I loved this book.
Kathy
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I got this book free from Amazon First Reads. I'll definitely say that I chose it for the cover and the synopsis seemed really promising. I'm surprised I busted through and finished it.

Ok. I'll admit that I'm one of those "geeks" MG mentions (a lot), but the geeky references were getting absolutely ridiculous. Some of the references actually took away from the story because they seemed so out of place. At one point she said, "If my life is Firefly, my crew consists of these forever-young people
Maxym Martineau
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun, action-driven, and jam-packed with voice. THE FRAME-UP by Meghan Scott Molin is everything my nerd heart desired — and more. Writer and budding costume designer MG Martin is totally immersed in comic book culture, and so when a string of crimes in LA follows the same path as her most cherished comic, she can’t help but get wrapped up in the plot line. Not to mention a certain swoon-worthy cop won’t let her stick to the panels.

The setup is fantastic, but I was truly swept away with her atten
Katherine Riley
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a caper! A sexy thrill ride. Popcorn and the very best dark chocolate also come to mind. Michael-Grace, the MC of The Frame-Up, is a real-life superhero, much like the enigmatic one she tracks throughout this novel, with the help of her very own justice league. And so is Molin! She’s a terrific mystery writer. Her dexterity with voices and characters is incredible. Sorry about dinner there, kids — I literally did not put this down until I reached the end.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Just not working for me - so many references (that I got but enough is enough).. and the weird opposites attract thing with her inner struggle... this felt more like a YA novel (which I usually love) than what I was expecting.

Moving on.
Goth Gone Grey
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery with true geek cred - Please continue the series!

There are books that try to work geekiness in and feel false, like they read a couple of Wiki articles over a cup of coffee and started their story. This is not one of those stories - the love for the geek life rings genuine on every page. References range from Star Wars to Homestar Runner and so many points in between, a rollicking ode to geekdom that I couldn't put down.

If that weren't enough - and it almost is - add in romance, drag qu
Kelsey Harrington
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-reads
The only reason I read this book as long as I did was because I was stuck somewhere and it was the only one currently downloaded on my kindle app.

I didn’t even finish it because it was actively making me angry to read. The main character took unlikable to another level. She’s the embodiment of the “quirky, not-like-other-girls” trope, but the audience is meant to find her charming? Or badass? When really I just wanted to punch her the whole time.

The overabundance of pop culture “geek” referenc
Matthew
Nov 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
"My heart careens in my chest like a Mario-kart around a curve"

Noooooooooooo
Felicia Grossman
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book! I'm so happy that I read it. MG is a wonderful amateur sleuth and such a modern, realistic character despite being at the center of a crazy fun mystery with lots of cool twists and turns set in the a vibrant world. She and Matteo had wonderful chemistry and I found him super believable as a legitimate detective (with fabulous house that I want) who still had a crush on the "consultant" he met getting tea. However, MG just really sparkled as a protagonist.

While I a
Roberta
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was EXCELLENT. Highly, highly recommended. Graphic novel/costume designer geek girl meets cute cop and they partner up into wicked crime solving duo. Also shows geek girl growing up a little and working out what she *really* wants from life. Plus so many geek/nerd references to squee over. I can’t wait to read the next one.
Megan Collins
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO. MUCH. FUN! I could picture it being a hit show on the CW, which I mean as a total compliment given that CW shows have historically been some of my favorites. Not only is it mired in geek culture, but it’s also got a compelling mystery that keeps the pages basically turning themselves! I particularly loved how the book explored gender dynamics in the world of comics, and I adored MG as a narrator. This book, which is the first in a series, had a satisfying ending while still lea ...more
Crystal
The Frame Up was one of the free Amazon selections this month, and I had a challenge to read a book about a superhero. Perfect, right? Down to a kick-ass purple haired feminist heroine Michael-Grace and her African-American queen friend L and her handsome Latin do-gooder detective love interest Matteo. Reviews were all of the place on this book, so I tried to go in with an open mind. I think I succeeded, since the things that bothered me the most weren't necessarily the criticisms I'd read.
I thi
Jaye
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
So I wanted to like this more. The premise sounded fun and while "civilian/artsy type gets involved in police work" has been done before, I still enjoy it.

MG is the only woman in her comic shop and that apparently makes her feel like she can't even be polite or professional in any way. (I'm Southern, "polite" is a fair substitute for genuine niceness, as far as I'm concerned. Also, throwing a red bouncy ball against the half-wall that separates your cubicle from someone else's -- who's trying to
Vinny —.:* Artsy Draft
2 stars

I received an ARC from 47North via NetGalley in exchange of honest review.
I was super excited when I saw the cover + read the premise. This book has everything that I loved. Gorgeous cover, check. Badass and strong female as the main character, check. Pop culture references, check. Mystery/thriller plot, check. However, once I dived into this book, I realized it's not as good as what it promised.

⇾ The main character started off amazingly. She's blunt, fun and quirky. Yet, she qui
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and 47North for this arc.

Oh was this one fun! Hard to believe it's Ms. Molin's debut!

I found this to be a well written, entertaining and fast paced mystery with a charming romance thrown in. I really liked the geekiness (surprised me, too). The characters were great, some "over-the-top", but all felt genuine to me. Well developed and coherent mystery with a little romance added in (but it didn't overwhelm the mystery story). I see where there's at least one more book to this
Jo
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This book was in the November 2018 Kindle First selection from Amazon. (I find subscribing to that is a nice way to find new authors.) I sort of laughed when I saw it tagged as "geek fiction". I'm not a geek myself but I have a lot of geek friends, including one who wrote a PhD about Superman so I worried I might miss a few inside jokes but the blurb was interesting enough for me to try it for 99p.

This book is DEFINITELY worth the full price. I have already pre-ordered the 2nd one in the series
Geekdom meets mystery solving

Fantastic book. Really hard to believe this is a debut book. I didn't want to put it down. Loved the characters and story.
Brittany
Nov 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I can see why Amazon gave this away for free. I'd return this in a heartbeat if I had actually spent money on it. I'm DNF-ing at 34%. The main character is really really annoying. She's basically a mansplaining gatekeeper nerd dude in a woman's body. The random geek references are often just tossed in, in such a way that they feel like forced mentions for geek cred instead of actual jokes. I just can't anymore. It's so bad.
Dave Packard
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, sword
Loved this book. MG is a hero for every nerd. So much geek culture with romance stirred in. I can’t wait for the next one!

• Smoke & Summons (Numina #1)
  • La dernière des Stanfield
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
  • The Infinite Pieces of Us
  • Blood for Blood (Ziba MacKenzie, #1)
  • Happy Doomsday
  • The Killer Collective (John Rain, #10; Ben Treven #4; Livia Lone #2.5)
  • Daughters of the Lake
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)
  • Hunt Them Down (Pierce Hunt, #1)
  • The Rule of One (The Rule of One, #1)
  • Myths and Mortals (Numina #2)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)
  • Now, Then, and Everywhen (Chronos Origins #1)
  • The Snow Gypsy
  • Future Perfect: A Skeptic’s Search for an Honest Mystic

The Golden Arrow (2 books)
  • The Queen Con (The Golden Arrow #2)