Start by marking “The Golden Age of the Sith (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Age of the Sith (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #1)

The Golden Age of the Sith

(Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi)

The Golden Age Of The Sith (Star Wars: Tales Of The Jedi)Marka Ragnos ruled the galaxy with an iron fist. He was the Dark Lord of the Sith -- the most powerful of the most powerful. But now he is dead. And two innocent hyperspace explorers, Gav and Jori Daragon, may follow suit if they get caught between the factions fighting to fill the Dark Lord void.
Published September 9th 1997 by Dark Horse

Matthew
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always worry when I read a Star Wars story from long before the main storyline I have grown up with, it will be too different and I won't like it (and that has happened before). Luckily, that was not the case this time.

This graphic novel was great! It is the earliest graphic novel in the Star Wars Legends timeline. For those who are unaware, the Legends timeline are the stories that were declared unconnected to the main storylines in the movies. While there will be familiar themes and characte
Ill D
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dum(b)-Dum(b)s
In preparation for my yearly playthrough of KOTOR I and II, I felt it apropos to reread the comics that set the stage for their stories. As much as I enjoyed them in my youth – upon a sequential read, Golden Age of the Sith is even more evidently riddled with all the intrinsic flaws of the Star Wars universe no matter how positive any of its own personal positives may be. With little room for complexity let alone nuance – Golden Age of the Sith is merely another good ol’ fashioned Good Vs. Evil ...more
Lance Shadow
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
After writing The Sith War, Kevin J. Anderson wrote two prequel story arcs for the Tales of the Jedi Comic book series. The first of these two arcs was Golden Age of the Sith, taking place 5,000 years before Luke Skywalker was born and 1,000 years before the time of Ulic Qel-Droma. Up until Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi came out, along with the tie-in novel Into the Void, Golden Age of the Sith was the earliest story to take place in the Star Wars timeline.
I have been waiting for Redemption to com
Yves
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, bd, sf
L'histoire de cette bande dessinée se passe 5000 ans avant les événements qui ont mené à la destruction de la première Death Star. Gav et Jori Daragon se retrouvent orphelin après une guerre qui a tué leurs parents. Ils devient donc navigateurs et essaient de trouver des nouvelles routes dans l'hyperespace pour gagner leur vie. Cependant, une de leur route qui était trop risqué leur cause des graves ennuis avec celui qui l'a acheté et doivent quitter leur planète en vitesse et se retrouvent par ...more
David Natiuk
Golden Age of the Sith is the earliest fiction work in the Star Wars Universe to date, and my personality is such that I always like to start at the beginning. I'm a fan of the movies, have a read a number of books, but wouldn't call myself a "study" of the universe... and from that perspective I found GAOTS to be interesting but not superb.

I imagine it has to be hard to backup almost 5,000 years from an established storyline in a vibrant "world" filled with familiar characters. Also, this wasn'
Andrew
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars-comics
I have to say, I enjoyed this story more than I thought I would have. The story itself was on focused on a brother and sister named Gav and Jori Daragon who are hyperspace navigators. While getting exploring they stumble upon the planet Korriban and get captured by Sith Lords.

It was really interesting to finally read the story on the infamous Naga Sadow that is so often referenced in stories as well as Ludo Kressh. Also, though he is dead in the story, Marka Ragnos is also heavily referred to. Y
Juan Carlos Toledo Núñez
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars-comics
Jedi VS Sith, eso es lo que trata Star Wars, pero ¿de dónde salió dicha disputa? La Luz contra La Oscuridad. Ambos de origen Jedi, unos estudiosos de la luz, otros de la oscuridad. Enfrentados, y desterrados aquellos oscuros. Llegados al planeta de los Sith, a quien esclavizaron y a algunos enseñaron sus oscuras practicas. Ahí empieza esta primera trama, La República y los Jedi de la Luz sumergidos en la pasada confianza, mientras muy lejos un par de hermanos (con gran potencial de Fuerza en ell ...more
Jay
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hard-Core Star Wars fans
History of the Sith Empire. Tells how exiled Jedi interbred with a race from another galaxy to become the scourge of the Jedi. Interesting tale set 5000+ years before the Star Wars movies. Has a very ancient feel to it, but the Sith Lords definitely feel right. Good for those wanting a detailed history to the Star Wars saga. Casual readers may find the lack of recognizable characters off-putting.
Martin
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
A huge step up from the previous Tales of the Jedi comics. The art looks decent and there's actually a coherent plot and character who really do things and work towards specific goals with reasonable motivations. Not a great comic, but something that is actually enjoyable to read.
David Dougall
Sep 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was awful. It honestly feels like the head writer for the old Adam West TV show wrote this book. It was badly exposited, and clumsily executed. It even feels a little like fan fiction written by an angstless high school student. I would avoid this book.
Jordan Anderson
You know that emoji that has the guy/girl shrugging? That's pretty much how I felt after finishing Anderson's Golden Age of the Sith, basically an image equivalent with a very mediocre uttering of "meh".

I get what Golden Age of the Sith stands for, and it's relative importance in the Star Wars legends line. I also understand it's significance among fans, the historical aspects it entails in both fiction and general Star Wars lore, and, even though I found it fairly boring and Star Wars in name o
Ilias Avramidis
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #5

Background: Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith was released in six issues during the final months of 1996 through February of 1997, and the trade paperback came out in August of 1997. It was written by Kevin J. Anderson and pencilled by Dario Carrasco Jr. Anderson is an extremely prolific author, with several dozen novels to his credit, and a wide array of entries into the Star Wars Expanded Universe. There was a time during the mid- to late-1990s when An
Ross
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm currently reading the Legends EU in chronological order but was skipping the comics. I asked in a forum group I'm part of how important the comics and turns out it is very.

Definitely an older style of comics with the text boxes but the story is incredible and is great to add more visual aspects on the names and worlds mentioned in the novels.
Alex Cortijo
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the "Dawn of the Jedi" drawing much more than this one. Moreover, the story is quite dummy, I mean Gav and Jori not knowing they are used by Naga.... Quite unbelievable, among other things.
Phino DeLeon
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok, I had a hard time keeping the characters straight
Andreas Strom
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty boring, but I wasn't really expecting anything more.
Alayne
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
3.5/5
Sylvia
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I always amazes me how the Star Wars universe has expanded. Not only are there stories which take place around the six classic stories, but the universe has expanded telling stories about the Jedi and the Sith in the past and in the future.
Over the years I have collected a number of these books and comics. I always buy the comics as TPB's, so I can read a whole series in one go.

(view spoiler)
Garth Hamilton
This review originally appeared on "Garth's Blog" at http://garthhamilton.blogspot.com/201....

Apart from the distinction of being the most chronologically ancient story in Star Wars’ old Extended Universe (read: non-canon “Legends”), there’s not much reason to read this. It takes place 5,000 years before Luke Skywalker fought in the Battle of Yavin, against the first Death Star. Yes, it’s mildly interesting to see how the Sign of the Sith is received. And more intriguing is a non-canon flashback
Jeffrey Jelmeland
I have read these stories before in single issue format, but that was many years ago. This was my first foray into Star Wars fiction outside of the movies, and this exposure generated a deep love for this time period in the Star Wars universe. As I am just now returning to this period it seemed appropriate to return to these original stories and refresh my memory on them before I moved forward with later collections.

As to the stories themselves, while rough around the edges they are well crafted
Alex
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun story showcasing the conflict between two early Dark Sith Lords and the two hyperspace travellers who get caught up in the middle. Sadly it doesn't really do anything unexpected or exciting, but as a standalone tale in the early Star Wars universe it holds up just fine. I'm already missing Ulic Quel-Droma and Exar-Kun though, these Sith seem a little faceless and dull by comparison. Also the artwork - or maybe its the colouring - in these volumes doesn't hold up to the earlier volumes and ...more
Melissa
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Stephen Wiseheart
The Golden Age of the Sith has a good story line, but I found some of the lines to be a bit inane. This is fairly common in comics though. Generally, I love Kevin J. Anderson's work, and it was nice to finally read the story of the Sith and the Massassi. I'm looking forward to continuing the story in the next graphic novel.
Melissa Cuevas
Nov 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really cannot come up with any good things here, so I'm going to say... don't bother. The writing (?) is mediocre, the artwork likewise. It doesn't even really look like Star Wars, the two human protagonists look like escapees from the original Wonder Woman set and the ships mostly look like bugs. :/ Shallowly written even for what it is.
B. Reese
Jun 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just not that interesting, surprisingly. The artwork is partially to blame. TOJ series suffered from kind of an icky art style, but they seem to do OK story-wise. This, not much of interest. You could get a cliffsnotes on it and be OK. It's far enough back to be an apocryphal myth mentioned in a one-off comment.
Steve Johnson
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Star Wars comics
Shelves: comic, star-wars
Quite liked it. The characters are likeable, the world and story interesting. I did feel like some important moments were finished pretty quickly, though I guess this is kind of in the nature of comic books. It sets up everything quite nicely for the follow-up 'The Fall of the Sith Empire'.
Sahil Udani
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Was reading this, as had no other materials to read, while awaiting delivery of my next book. I have never been a huge star wars fan, but this comic just seemed silly. The illustrations didnt help either.
Shawn Fairweather
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Average artwork and mediocre writing. Storyline is interesting in that it focuses on the early days of the Sith and the in fighting and betrayal that ever present in the order. No bad, but nothing grand either.
M Pereira
is this even canon anymore?
Stephen
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
  • Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #3)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino and Other Tales
  • By the Emperor's Hand (Star Wars: Mara Jade)
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Star Wars Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Vol. 2: Flashpoint (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #2)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 3: Last Stand on Jabim
  • Star Wars Tales Vol. 2
  • Star Wars Infinities - The Empire Strikes Back
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi (7 books)
  • Fall of the Sith Empire (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #2)
  • Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #3)
  • The Freedon Nadd Uprising (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #4)
  • Dark Lords of the Sith (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #5)
  • The Sith War (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #6)
  • Redemption (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #7)