Start by marking “The Dead Girl (Breakdown #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Girl (Breakdown #1)

The Dead Girl

(Breakdown #1)

Former L.A. homicide detective Laney Holt walked away from big city crime after a shooting she couldn't put behind her. With L.A. in her rear view mirror, she accepted the position of deputy chief of police in a small picturesque paradise called Shutter Lake. Nestled in a peaceful valley surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Shutter Lake is the perfect small town ...more
Published October 4th 2018 by Pink House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Girl

Start your review of The Dead Girl (Breakdown #1)
Linda Strong
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
It's been 2 years since Laney Holt left her job as LA Homicide Detective to become Deputy Chief of Police is a really small town that has seen very little crime.

Until today ...

A young woman is found dead in her home.. strangled. Sylvia Cole owned her own cleaning business, was well liked by all who knew her. She was described as hard-working, friendly.. so who would have wanted her dead?

Laney's secrets aren't the only ones revealed as one by one the cracks in this perfect town start to show and
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I'm not even sure what I just read but...

This was a very slow, very boring murder investigation in a perfect little small town. I've read Ms Webb before and enjoyed her books. But this seemed like an incomplete story. We have some investigation (or wheel spinning actually) and then the book just ends on a not so believable confession.

It felt like a cliffhanger. I think it is a cliffhanger but it doesn't really tell you. Just says read the next book in the series by a different author.

With a
Jo Ann Reinhold
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

the dead girl (BREAKDOWN Book 1) by Debra Webb

Shutter Lake was supposed to be Laney Holt's refuge. A place to heal from the horrific memories she carried from her days as a Los Angeles Police Detective. A community designed by the rich and powerful to be a utopia for their own. But today has changed all that, today the peace and tranquility of Shutter Lake has been shattered by the brutal murder of a young woman, a young woman loved by the community and the daughter of one of the founders.
As
Denise H
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Breakdown Series is a 4-part suspense series by 4 different authors, each focusing on a different leading woman whose job has the necessary connections to help in finding the truth behind the murder of one of their own. Each woman has a powerful job that gives them an edge with information and secrets hidden in this quaint community. As a cop, school principal/psychologist, an investigative reporter, and a doctor they each have a skill set that can contribute to solving the crime and ...more
Nancy Wolfe
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BREAKDOWN suspense mini-series is great. The first book in the series is written by Debra Webb and is called THE DEAD GIRL. This book takes off fast with the death of a small town girl made good; running her own business. She is well-thought of by everyone in the community and no one can understand why she was murdered.

The picturesque town of Shutter Lake is the perfect small town filled with pleasant, charming townsfolk who appear to be happy with nothing to mar the effect. However, small towns
Melanie Johnson
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this until I got to the last page. Then I threw the damn Kindle across the room (not really, but in my mind I did).
Amy
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dead Girl by Debra Webb begins the exciting series, Breakdown. I have not read anything by her before and that will now change. I enjoyed getting to know Laney Holt and the beautiful setting of Shutter Lake. The mystery and suspense of the unlikely crime in the town kept me guessing until the end of “who done it”.
I give The Dead Girl four and a half stars. I am looking forward to continuing the Breakdown series.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my honest opinion.
Wendy Adair
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointed

I don't like novels that carry the plot into multip!e books with no advance notice.
Plot moves slowly as it is.
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
What a start...

I’m dying to know all the secrets. I was hooked by the very first page. And I gotta say, I’m sorry Sylvia is dead but I don’t like her. Something is very hinky in that town. Shutter Lake puts up a great facade, but the creep factor is out now.

Laney is a favorite and that damn Chief better get his act together. She is a great cop and keeping it all together. Oh and I’m not buying the ending. Onto the next book!
Vickie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shutter Lake is the perfect town to live in, or at least it was until one of the residents is found dead...murdered, actually. Sylvia Cole was a rich girl to begin with, but she has now founded her own business empire called Sparkle, a business that offers cleaning services to anyone in town who needs it. At the beginning of this series, Sylvia is found dead. The series focuses on four different people who are integral parts of the town. This book highlights Laney Holt, a deputy sheriff who has ...more
Andrea
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My overview of the entire series is one of fascination, as I cannot fathom how four different authors can put together one story in four different parts like this. I know authors have enjoyed doing collaborations such as these, but to now I have mostly seen only romance series where each author takes on a different character and his/her relationship. They build a bit on the previous stories. But to do a murder suspense series requires an entirely different kind of outlining and mapping to be ...more
Lissanne Jones
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Girl is the first in a four book mini-series, one of which will be released weekly, and this series is off to a crackingly good start with this book.

Shutter Lake Deputy Laney Holt is a former LAPD homicide detective who moved there two years previously, after an incident she can’t move past. She’s never needed to use her skills in homicide before, until one day Shutter Lake resident Sylvia Cole is found murdered in her home. Sylvia was twenty-six and well known to everyone in the
Catlou
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sylvia Cole is dead, and the small, idyllic town of Shutter Lake is in turmoil. In this episode we are introduced to the cast of characters, focusing on Deputy Chief of Police Laney Holt, and the chief of police, Griff McCabe, as they struggle to solve the first heinous crime to be committed in their peaceful town. Both Laney and Griff have pasts which haunt their present and may affect their ability to do their jobs.

As the investigation progresses, we get a glimpse into the life of the victim,
Books and Spoons
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four Strong leading female characters, four different points of view to the murder in a small town and to the secrets revealed while solving the case, the Breakdown series is written by four suspense authors and introduces a new kind of serial novel type of series, each book with a new leading lady, published only a week apart from each other.
The Dead Girl delivers a riveting start to the intense suspense. The small town, where everyone knows each other, has a friendly vibe to it until Laney
Michele Salls
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Police Detective who has left L.A. and has now moved to Shutter Lake, the "perfect place" to live, where everyone knows everyone. Murders just do not happen, until of course one does.

Now acting as the Deputy Chief of Police, Laney must once again must use her detective skills to find out who would cause harm to this young lady. Everyone she speaks with has nothing but good, positive things to say about her. Who would want to kill her? Why?

Chief of Police Griff McCabe knows that Laney is the
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Debra Webb for the ARC of The Dead Girl by Debra Webb that I read and reviewed.
The Dead Girl is the first book in the Breakdown series which consist of four books by four suspense authors who are telling the story of the death of Sylvia Cole, a young woman who is the murdered in Shutter Lake that brings the four women in these books together in some way to help find a killer.
In this first book Laney Holt who escaped to Shutter Lake from LA is the detective who given the job to try to
Debra
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
The Dead Girl by Debra Webb is the first book in the Breakdown Series. Shutter Lake is just a little too perfect. Former LAPD detective Laney Holt moves to this idyllic town and takes a job on the local police force in an effort to forget about her past. But after young entrepreneur Sylvia Cole is murdered, Laney begins to feel that the secrets that abound in Shutter Lake eerily remind her of the fictional town of Stepford. A page turner for sure, The Dead Girl by Debra Webb will not ...more
Ellen White
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laney walked away from LA but the 12 year old boy haunts her nightly. This is a small village people know one another, but there are secrets and.now murder. Sylvia came from a privilege home, an only child, successful in her own business, twenty six, and now murdered. The clues and people interview they don’t seem to get the answers, that are needed.
With this it ends with a confession, was it really him. Good plot that keep you to the end, the detail were superb which the author does so well in
Peggy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is more than just amazing! These books will have you lost from reality into each story, in each character and trying to figure it out before the end. Each book has a different author, which is remarkable how well they collaborated the series and makes for a great one at that! This is a set that you have to read for yourself to understand just how well these are written and will pull you in from start to end!
Kerry
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
When I heard about this 4 author mini-series, I was really intrigued. Book 1 captured me from page 1 and I am so excited to get started on book 2. Shutter Lake is definitely a place that is more than meets the eye. I really like Laney and am looking forward to learning more about her. This was a fascinating first installment, and it definitely didn't end the way I expected! Reading book 2 asap!

*I received an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
April
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Webb brings readers a fascinating story of murder in an idyllic small town. So many secrets. Can Laney figure out who the murderer is before something else happens to shake this town?

Creatively devised plotting and well defined characters are what will keep readers turning pages well into the night. I am looking forward to the next in the series.

I highly recommend this book to fans of the mystery/suspense genre.
Patricia Grogan Bugher
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the first part in a four part series. This first book was written by Debra Webb and leaves us with a murder in a very small sleepy little town. This first part is so good that I can’t wait to get on to the second one. As the first one ends, the murder has happened, someone has confessed but the confession doesn’t seem to ring true.
Janice
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really interesting concept. There are 4 books each written by a different author, but about the same crime. I have enjoyed this one, and I'm now moving onto book 2. Will keep you posted!
Theresa Goins
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Hate cliffhangers

I had a tough time getting into this book. I eventually got through it. The way it ended sucked. I am not a fan of abrupt cliffhangers. So now on to the next book in the series.
KimberlyDawn
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading the No Looking Back, Laney's backstory, I couldn't wait to read The Dead Girl. Secrets come out as Laney investigates the murder of a girl, some of them Laney's own. This story had me hooked from the get-go, and I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend it.
Gail
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Working on the review!
Bernie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Girl review

The Dead Girl is the first exciting book in the Breakdown series written by author Debra Webb. This ends with a cliffhanger.
Rebecca Dowd
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
INTENSE!!!

Stepping into a perfect town only happens in fiction. Laney learns this with murder of a town good girl that seems too perfect to be true.
Joyce Westmoreland
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Girl

Debra Webb keeps givi g us books we can't put down. This Breakdown Book kept me guessing until theblast page and beyond. With this surprise ending I can't wait to read the next installment of the series. Secrets are shattering the feeling of safety in a town where murder has never happened until now. Great read
Lisa Warren
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read a few of her Faces of Evil books which were fairly good. Downloaded this because it was a free one on kindle and was very disappointed.

• Snow Brides (Stormwatch #5)
  • Deep Freeze (Stormwatch #2)
  • Wind Chill (Stormwatch #3)
  • Just One Look (Breakdown #0.3)
  • Snow Blind (Stormwatch #6)
  • Black Ice (Stormwatch #4)
  • Her Deepest Fear (Breakdown #0.2)
  • Trust No One (Breakdown #0.4)
  • Dead Little Darlings (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Girl in Cabin 13 (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #1)
  • Little White Lies (The Keepers, #2.5)
  • Winter's Web (Winter Black #7)
  • Winter's Curse (Winter Black #2)
  • ALL THE GOOD GIRLS (Harry Hunter Mystery Book 1)
  • Winter's Ghost (Winter Black #5)
  • Winter's Rise (Winter Black #4)
  • The Girl That Vanished (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #2)
  • Winter's Secret (Winter Black #6)
DEBRA WEBB is the USA Today bestselling author of more than 150 novels, including reader favorites the Shades of Death, the Faces of Evil and the Colby Agency series. She is the recipient of the prestigious Romantic Times Career Achievement Award for Romantic Suspense as well as numerous Reviewers Choice Awards. In 2012 Debra was honored as the first recipient of the esteemed L. A. Banks Warrior ...more

Breakdown (4 books)
  • So Many Secrets (Breakdown #2)
  • All the Lies (Breakdown #3)
  • What She Knew (Breakdown #4)