Start by marking “The Lord of the Rings” as Want to Read:
The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings

Audio CD, abridged, BBC Radio Dramatisation, 13 CDs
Published November 1st 1999 by Bantam Books-Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Lord of the Rings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord of the Rings

Start your review of The Lord of the Rings
Neil R. Coulter
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Recommended to Neil by: Anne Gazzolo
Shelves: fiction, tolkien

Review of the BBC dramatized audio version:

While on a massive road trip this summer, our family listened to the BBC's dramatized audio edition of The Lord of the Rings. It was first produced in 1981, airing on BBC Radio 4 in 26 half-hour episodes. CD releases, including the 1999 reissue that we listened to, have remixed the content into 13 hour-long episodes. Though I've been a fan of Tolkien for most of my life life, and I've heard good things about this dramatized version, this was my firs

Anne Gazzolo
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've listened to this magnificent adaptation so many times I've lost count. It is wonderful and faithful to the book. Ian Holm rocks Frodo from innocent lad to one near destroyed by his burden. Actually just about everyone is tremendously well done. Love it, love it, love it!
Douglas Wilson
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a BBC dramatization, and was very well done. Nancy and I had a long drive to Montana last week, and then back, and then had to finish it off with a few shorter jaunts while back home. Tolkien was just a good business.
Andrew
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic, and so much fun listening to in the car while driving. There were a couple times that the acting seemed slightly over the top, but overall it was really amazing, and those moments didn't distract from the story at all.

Now all I want to do is reread the book and rewatch the films...
Adrianna
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of J.R.R. Tolkien, Fans of radio dramas
Recommended to Adrianna by: Ventura County Library Staff, Ventura, CA
I was really excited when I discovered this BBC audio dramatization of Tolkien's classic Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was highly recommended by a staff member at the Ventura County Library in Ventura, California. Even though sections from the original books had been cut and altered for the dramatization, she said that it was an experience that any Tolkien fan would enjoy.

The box and the CDs are beautiful! They have images, maps, and other useful information about the trilogy and author on each
Phillip
This 13 part BBC radio dramatization was great fun. I have no quarrel with it. It sounded to me like they used Tolkien's dialogue for the script. The tinkering they did with it was minor to my ear. Yet, the voice talent and sound effects were excellent.

Last weekend my mother-in-law gave the set to me along with The Hobbit and a disk of music using Tolkien's writings for lyrics while doing Spring-cleaning to her house. She knows how much I like Tolkien. I like it well enough that it got to the t
Jeremy
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great dramatization. I listened to this dramatized version on my way to work. Because it was an adaptation, I'm counting this as only one book, not three. I think it's the second time I've listened through these CDs. I was going to finish on my birthday (March 24), but I heard that Sauron was defeated on March 25, so I put it off until then.
Emelie
Really great dramatization. The cast and production did a wonderful work bringing this story to life.
Sepideh Dehghani
made me feel i was in the middle earth!
Ma
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This BBC dramatization, in 13 chapters of 1hour each, was quite a nice way to get into that story once again. Great performances, including those of Ian Holm who plays Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam Gamgee.
There's quite a bit of screaming at some point, and that can be a bit painful though! Particularly when it happens during the Sam/Frodo episodes, who tend to be told in a lower softer voice (so you would have cranked up the volume to hear better maybe, and then your ears starts bleeding from the
Daniel Archer
Solid adaptation but oscillates from wooden to overwrought. The musical score is a nice touch overall but some of the songs of the elves and Rohirrim are cover-your-ears awful / why people think they hate classical music.
Michael
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Terrific interpretation. I've listened numerous times. In some ways I enjoy more than the movies. Primarily, I think Ian Holm makes a great Frodo. Brian Sibley nailed it with this BBC radio adaptation!
Nico
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Some parts (especially towards the end) dragged on, but overall it was very delightful to listen to while I was driving or working
Muzzlehatch
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: radio-drama
I must have first heard this when it was first broadcast on NPR in the US, apparently in 1982, going by Wiki - I still have the distinct memory of Tammy Grimes' intros, which were done specifically for NPR, and are not present on the CD box set that I finally obtained a few months ago, and listened to in April over about a week when I had to drive a couple of hours round-trip every day.

I'm not an audio book guy, and I normally listen to the news or music when driving - and driving is really the
Douglas
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
An excellent full cast audio drama of the entire series (although The Two Towers got a little shorted). ...more
Tom
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the BBC audiobook version.

Thanks to Peter Jackson's film series, just about everyone knows Tolkien's great trilogy, though not everyone has read them. The BBC did a radio drama version once, and has released it as an audiobook. It is good, though not great. The bad thing about a film version is it will undoubtedly cast a certain actor as a certain character when you read a novel version, no matter what the author did. Case in point, Stephen King does not describe Jack Torrence
Abby
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally did it, I've completed the Lord of the Rings series. It's taken me a little over a month, but I'm so glad I finally did it. These audio books do not follow the books exactly, they skip over a lot of the description bits that take away from the story a little more. I'm so glad I listened to them on audio, otherwise I don't think I would have been able to make it through the trilogy. I think I prefer the movies over the books, but everyone should read them at least once in their life.
Brandon
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no thing I can say about The Lord Of The Rings that many more competent people already haven't.
Is one of the greatest universes and stories ever created. Captivating and mesmerizing.

If you are reading reviews as to make up your mind to read it or not, trust a stranger, thousands and millions of them, and do. You will not regret it.
Melenia
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I really enjoyed this audio for the most part. I did skim through a lot of Frodo’s parts towards the ending, but I kinda do that in the movie as well so it’s not really the audio’s fault. It was pretty well done; although, not a reading of the book as I originally thought. It was a drama that did not entirely follow the original storyline, but it worked for the most part.
Christine
This is a wonderful adaption of TLOR. The script writer was Brian Silby, who did some of the tie in books for Peter Jackson's movies. Ian Holm, who played Biblo in the films, voices Frodo here. The radio script follows the book very closely.
Thomas
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
General Overview
This is already in my Top 5 Books of 2020, if not the decade to come and the two ones I have lived past. Such a wonderful retelling, of what is THE father of fantasy fiction. Any fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's books must give this a listen.

Style
This radio series, now nearly 40 years old, is well known to many fans of the Lord of the Rings. It was re-released on BBC Radio to coincide with Peter Jacksons films of the early 00s. Besides these, and the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings animated
Jake
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long considered one of the best adaptations of the Lord of the Rings, this audio drama deserves all the praise it receives.

The voice acting is excellent, with Ian Holm as Frodo, and the actor as Gollum standing out in particular.

This series manages to pull together the various components of Lord of the Rings, while skipping over some of the extraneous details (sorry Tom Bombadil :( ).

The series excels at making engaging and riveting dialogue choices; however, it struggles some during the vari
Angela
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still my second favourite fantasy series 20 years on. The breath of Tolkien's imagination is just awe-inspiring. This BBC adaptation has made it even more endearing. I honestly prefer Ian Holmes' Frodo to Elijah Wood's more insipid version. The songs that I basically skipped in the book were much more palatable when actually sung.

However, full disclosure here, I first read the series in 2000. Then when the movies came out, I was totally hooked. It's one of the few instances where the movies are
Robin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During a recent vacation, I beguiled parts of my drive to South Dakota, northern Minnesota, and back to Missouri by listening to the 1981 BBC Radio full-cast dramatization of The Lord of the Rings - the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien that I have read several times in book form (and reviewed here), and once in a 1979 full-cast recording produced by U.S. National Public Radio (reviewed here), besides viewing not one but two film adaptations. The story needs no more reviewing, but I just wanted to comme ...more
Terry
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts are magical, and many are silly, but the most frustrating parts are those where they just seemed to lack the imagination to tell the story as a radio drama. But a must-listen for LOTR lovers, especially GenXers who listens to this growing up!
Colleen
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the BBC full orchestra production of the trilogy. It was very good, but I think I just wanted the audio version.
Krista
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The ending always makes me cry. Such a beautiful tale that Tolkien told. A story that goes on and on. I will always love it.
Christina F
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite audio book , i took more walks just to keep listening.
sch
Nov 23, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
May 2020. Listening with the kids, especially for the benefit of our youngest children, since their siblings have read the original.
Sakshi Rawat

• The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013
  • The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire (#1)
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Official Movie Guide
  • A Clash of Kings #1
Brian Sibley is an English author who has written over 100 hours of radio drama and has written and presented hundreds of radio documentaries, features and weekly programmes.

In 1981, he co-wrote BBC Radio 4's adaptation of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings with Michael Bakewell, and has also adapted C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia and Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast for Radio 4, for which he r